• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MATURE: Nori Carino: Official In-Training [COMPLETE!!]

Kallisto's trying, but he's still got a long way to go. Tono's right in that Kallisto is more concerned about his own image than actually making an effort to amend fences with Nori.
This chapter was difficult to edit and even write for many reasons. Kallisto is being wracked by guilt and he has taken an important first step forward. But I wanted to make sure there's explicit doubt in there about his intentions. Is he genuinely sorry for what he's done, or is he doing it for his own conscience?

And seriously, I find it hard to believe that he never thought people would take his misguided call-out so seriously that they'd send Nori death threats.
He probably just didn't think it'd go this far, in a sort of "what have I done" sort of way. But as Tono pointed out, he probably did in fact think it would get horrid for Nori.

I'm definitely curious as to who that guy in the purple cloak is. I can only assume he'll appear in later chapters.
He's just an allusion to Pokemon Hunter J. She's unimportant here and nowhere near as important in the long run either, besides highlighting what Nori might end up having to do if things got even worse.

I had forgotten that Kallisto called everyone by their last names, and went back to an earlier chapter to double-check. Also curious to know why he started calling Nori by his first name.
This information is actually already in there: in M3-4, Kallisto says he uses last name as a form of respect, except when requested as with Tono or Volkner. When does he stop calling Nori by his last name? Oh, one chapter later.

"Carino, look," he said, far more sternly. "You might not like this, but you have to deal with it. I'm willing to help, no matter what happened between us in the past. Do you want to be a Pokemon Rehabilitator or not?"

His answer was a simple, "Screw you!" He shoved his oppressor aside with his cast and marched for the door. He paused when Kallisto addressed him with anger.

"Carino, if you walk away now, I'll lose all respect for you."

Nori turned. "You?" the boy laughed. He couldn't help it. This was too funny. "Respect me?" He laughed some more before seamlessly going into a scream. "I don't want or need your respect!"

So yeah. There's actually one or two times where he does say Carino after, but the fact that he's still calling him Nori is open for interpretation. And of course, now Tono is the other viewpoint character. Aside, don't think anything of him internally calling anyone their first name when he's the viewpoint character - there's nothing to that.

This review is later than I would prefer but I've been busy since Christmas.

So, it's at least Mrs. Stetcher and Norling aren't hostile to Nori even if much of the staff are.
And hey, Nori's got options if this doesn't turn out--join a crazy, evil criminal mastermind! That's...something.
(Honestly it's a good thing Nori didn't join up with J considering her ultimate fate...)

At least Kallisto is trying to stop the hate campaign but that sort of thing can't always be put back in the bottle but Kallisto might just be beloved enough.

Tono's scene at the end was particularly interesting, as he seems to understand when Kallisto isn't being entirely honest but picks his battles on when to call him on it.

Still, I have a worry that Kallisto's final attempt at ending this is going to end explosively. Honestly I think the best thing Nori can do is remain polite but don't get too close; what I call the "smile and nod" strategy. Yeah, it sucks that Kallisto can get away with all this but some people are basically untouchable for regular people and you really do need to pick your battles, sad as it is to admit.

And yes, there have been some things I did that would've gotten anyone else arrested and charged. For that, I cannot apologize enough to you.
I love how he can just admit this in public. Hero worship is a crazy thing.

This review is later than I would prefer but I've been busy since Christmas.
Stuff happens, delays happen. Like with the next chapter! But hopefully it's just edits from here.

And hey, Nori's got options if this doesn't turn out--join a crazy, evil criminal mastermind! That's...something.
(Honestly it's a good thing Nori didn't join up with J considering her ultimate fate...)
Well, this is my own take on J. What happens to her in the anime may not be what happens to her here, or in Juliko's ficverse. Still, not a good person to be joining up with: regardless of her opinion of Kallisto, she's effectively trying to exploit and recruit a troubled kid. Definitely not a good person.

Tono's scene at the end was particularly interesting, as he seems to understand when Kallisto isn't being entirely honest but picks his battles on when to call him on it.
Tono doesn't want to do anything that could ruin their friendship. But like he mentioned, there's a catch-22 here. He may voice his discomfort at times, but he's ultimately respecting his best friend's decisions should he stick to them. That's all he can do, give his piece. Kallisto's decisions are his own to make, and he'll support them as best he can...for now, at least.

Still, I have a worry that Kallisto's final attempt at ending this is going to end explosively. Honestly I think the best thing Nori can do is remain polite but don't get too close; what I call the "smile and nod" strategy. Yeah, it sucks that Kallisto can get away with all this but some people are basically untouchable for regular people and you really do need to pick your battles, sad as it is to admit.
You won't have to wait long to find out whether it goes well or horribly!

I love how he can just admit this in public. Hero worship is a crazy thing.
Indeed.

Month 6: June of Despair (sixth part)
June of Despair (sixth part)
June 22nd, 2015

Although he had taken a step towards as much peace as he could get with Kallisto, Nori still felt uneasy and uncertain as to how the public was going to respond to him. He decided to wait until school on Monday to find out rather than heading out on Sunday. It was the start of his last week at Gama Memorial Junior High. He also told Volkner he'd skate back to the Gym after school, although the Gym Leader would still drive him in the mornings.

School did little to clear up his current social status. His peers weren't outwardly hostile, but many still avoided him. During lunch, he was eating in a quiet corner of the halls, much as he had done with Lux so many times in the recent past. Halfway through his sandwich, he heard somebody approaching. He looked up to see Arumi, simply waving at her due to his mouth being full.

"Here you go, Nor'!" she declared as she proudly handed him a newsletter from her stack. "I think you'll appreciate this."

The boy swallowed his food. Before accepting the paper, he put the sandwich back in its bag and wiped his hands on his jeans. "Um, can I come back to the club?" he chanced.

She averted her gaze. "I held another vote this morning. It turned out 4-2 against. Sorry."

The boy sighed. "I thought so." Whether it was the teacher or Yuki who voted for him didn't matter if one of them and the other three didn't want him there. "Just figured I'd ask. Better than going and finding out on my own."

The reporter in-training nodded. "Well, I shouldn't stay long. Plus, I need to get to distribution."

"Thanks, Arumi."

"Don't sweat it, Nor'." With this, she set off for the square.

Nori gave the newsletter a quick skim. He noticed a new section on the back page, Sunyshore Gym Exhibition Day. Maybe it was Yuki's doing? Plus the others did mention wanting to write about them, although this was more sports coverage than an article about the Gym's tradition in general. It had the results of the three major battles, and included a section about his conversation with Kallisto.

It wasn't much. But it was something. And most of all, it proved to him that there were still people who cared about him and were helping out in their own way.

---​

When Tono and his friends returned to Sunyshore Gym on Monday, they heard the sounds of an ongoing battle from the arena. They glanced to each other, nodded, and made for the stand-side door to check it out.

"Really?!" Kallisto rasped, fists clenching when he saw who was facing Volkner. That pale blue hair in that hairstyle was unmistakable. It was none other than Joe Stone. "He was here yesterday?!"

"Yeah," replied Eddie. "Know how it is."

Tono took stock of the battle. Joe's Salamence was perched on a pillar, wobbling deliriously. Volkner's Chatot was on the ground, catching her breath. Both Pokemon had taken a fair amount of damage.

"Fly up and Dragonbreath!" commanded Volkner, evidently the move she had mimicked. The little parrot tried to take off, only to wince and fall back down. She did not bother attempting the attack, seasoned enough to know it was not worth the effort at that range.

"Just chill up there, Salamence," Joe said with a predatory grin, even as it began whipping itself with its own tail.

Volkner clenched a fist, lightly pumping it in front of his head. "Synchronoise, in that case."

"JUST CHILL CHILL CHILLLLLLLL, JOE CHILLLLLL!!" screamed the parrot, assaulting her foe with odd soundwaves. Volkner's Chatot always did have a sense of wit. Everyone except one person chuckled; surprisingly, it was not Joe, who cracked a smile even as his Pokemon plummeted off and hit the floor hard. It was Kallisto who was unable to find his sense of humor.

Yet the blue dragon continued to stir. "Finish with Dragonbreath," said Volkner.

"Urgh," Joe clenched his fists and punched the air. "Salamence, DOUBLE-EDGE!"

As Chatot mimed a roar and reared back to spew draconic flame, Salamence suddenly burst forward. It tackled Chatot and drove her directly into the nearest pillar.

"My bad," mumbled Chatot with the last of her strength before she flopped onto her side. She was out, yet Salamence had collapsed after impact, showing no signs of movement since.

"You're joking, right?" Joe threw up his arms in disbelief. "A draw?"

"Seems like it," said Volkner with a shrug. "But that was fun. Hadn't had a Gym Battle like that in a while. So I'm giving you a Beacon Badge anyway."

"What?!" Kallisto growled. "Volkner, are you serious?"

"Kallisto." Volkner gave him an unamused glare. "You should know that Gym Leaders are allowed to award badges at their own discretion."

"Yes, it is not as though he made Volkner laugh or saved the Gym from a fire," spat Tono, unable to resist that snark. Gym Leaders could actually get in trouble for awarding badges for unjustified reasons, but a close draw was an acceptable one. Tono did wish he could have seen the battle in full. Perhaps he could access the security footage to do so.

His best friend grumbled and approached Joe. "Let me say that I believe you shouldn't have even gotten to qualify for that badge."

"Hey, ain't my problem you weren't here yesterday," he said, stating a true fact while being as disingenuous as ever. While Kallisto most often handled the strongest challengers, there were times when one would stop by when he was absent. By League rules, they could not turn a challenger away due to the absence of a particular Gym Trainer. The same applied to weaker ones when Tono himself was not around.

The fact that it was coincidence meant little to his best friend. "You took the easy way out. And you're accepting this badge even though you didn't win? That sort of behavior is going to cost you dearly at the League."

"Whatever," the young adult dismissed, turning away. "Look forward to Sinnoh League Champ, Joe Stone!"

Kallisto bit his lip, unable to do anything but watch as the challenger strode out of the Gym with his final badge in hand. Volkner motioned for the dozen or so onlookers to disperse as he left the arena. Eventually, it was down to the four of them.

"Gods," Kallisto mumbled. "I am letting this get to me. I don't know what I can do about it."

"You can't do anything!" said Ollie with a bellow. "Besides, Cynthia's gonna whoop his ass for sure! If he even gets to her!"

"I meant Nori," he remarked, stating what everyone but Ollie picked up on. "I have no idea what I'm going to do about him."

This was starting to get ridiculous. Tono reiterated, "We went over this when we spoke yesterday, Kallisto. Extend your hand and see if he takes it."

Eddie nodded. "If he does, cool. If he doesn't, all you can do."

"Yeah, man!" agreed Ollie. "Just need to find the time and place!"

All of them had been worried not only for their de facto leader, but for Nori Carino as well. This had escalated to an uncomfortable degree. None of them wanted to see him get killed, socially or otherwise. And if Kallisto actually made acceptable amends, perhaps Nori's idiotic ideal about being friends could come to pass.

Kallisto processed their words for close to a minute. Over the course of it, he sat down on the bleachers and leaned all the way back. His thoughts were preceded by a groan. "That time and place needs to be soon. But I have an idea..."

##########​

June 23rd, 2015

Tuesday was more of the same for Nori. While Kallisto had managed to stop the public from bearing down on him in full force, their hostility and disdain had given way to an implacable coldness. In a way, it was even more uncomfortable - at least before, he knew for sure where he stood with people. Because of it, he was even considering asking Volkner to pick him up after school for the rest of the week.

After returning and placing his backpack in his room, he went to the arena to allow Pachi and the Demon some time to run around. Eventually, the Gym Trainers entered. Without Ollie, but otherwise exactly who he was hoping to see.

"Hey, Carino," Kallisto greeted. Nori immediately arched an eyebrow at the sudden re-use of his last name. "We were thinking of heading out to get some smoothies. Want to come along? It'll be my treat."

The boy snapped to attention. If it was anyone else, he might've said yes right away. But as the situation was, it bothered him. "Have you asked Volkner?" he questioned.

Eddie snorted. "Since when are you so by the book, kid?"

The boy could only chuckle a little at the accusation. "Point taken, I guess. I was just wondering." He smirked and lowered his gaze. On cue, his Pokemon came over and stood on either side of him.

Kallisto vaguely slouched under his gaze of scrutiny. "Not yet," he admitted, scratching his chin. "We were hoping he'd be here to ask."

So if this was planned out by them, it was today or last night. Interesting. "He's in the back right now," said Nori. "Though he's working, so who's going to watch the Gym?"

"Ollie will," the head Gym Trainer replied. When Nori put his hands on his hips over the sheer absurdity of such a notion, he elaborated. "We decided he deserves another shot at it. It'll only be for a couple hours at most."

Well with that, he didn't have a convenient excuse to stop this from happening. Maybe this was a nice gesture, but it could also be an attempt to butter him up.

He patted the Demon and recalled her. "All right. I'll go and ask Volkner for you," he stated as he started heading for the back with Pachi.

"But do you want to come with us?" Kallisto once again inquired.

"I'll need to ask him if I can," he reminded. "But I haven't decided if I will." He was sure Volkner would have no problem with it. More importantly, he wanted to get his mentor's opinion on the matter.

---​

Tono crossed his arms as Nori Carino left. "As I thought, this is too much." If Kallisto wanted to speak with him, they could have simply held the conversation here.

Kallisto did not seem concerned. "It's better if we do this in public, for many reasons."

"That is if he accepts your invitation in the first place." The logic behind further public apology and reaching out faltered when one considered it might not happen to begin with due to Nori Carino's discomfort.

"He's getting Volkner's opinion," Kallisto answered right away. "And I know he'll tell him to come along."

Tono sighed in exasperation. Perhaps, but the other facet of this was how well Nori was going to take what he had to say. He suspected that would be not well at all. "This is too much too soon."

Kallisto sighed, seeming to tremble a little. "Maybe you're right. But I can't put this off, either. I need to get it done and over with."

---​

As Nori stepped into Volkner's workshop, he was greeted by a few of the Gym Leader's Pokemon. Ambipom even gave him a hug with its tails and arms at the same time. He thanked the purple primate, but said he was here to see its trainer.

"Volkner?" he called out to the Gym Leader. He looked around, but didn't see him at first.

Pachi pointed him out with a squeak and arm gesture. The blond man was lying on a trolley, working under his vintage car. He rolled himself out and sat up. "What's up?" he asked, wiping some grease off his forehead.

"Kallisto wants to go get smoothies with Tono and Eddie, and they invited me along."

"Sure, go ahead," said the man. As he was about to slide back under his vehicle, he paused halfway. "Hm. Get what they're up to. Better keep an eye on Ollie, just in case."

"Hey, wait," the boy raised his palms and waved them to get the Gym Leader's attention. "I was also wondering, do you think I should bother going?"

"Yes," came the instant reply. "You don't have to like it. But if people see you in public with him, they'll think you've buried the hatchet a little. That'll help your image."

Image. There was that word again. Nori knew it was something he couldn't completely ignore. What others thought about you played a major role in not only your social status, but how far you could go in life. He wasn't going to let worrying about it control him, but if a little tweak here or there could help, he was fine with that.

"I guess," he conceded. "But I also think he might have an ulterior motive or two."

"You won't know unless you go," Volkner pointed out. "Whatever happens, you can deal with it accordingly."

Nori looked up. That made perfect sense. Why didn't he see that?! "You're right. Nothing to do but do it!"

Volkner scratched his cheek. "By the way, have some good news. Just got confirmation today. You'll be attending Ashen Legacy Middle School in the autumn."

Ashen? That one was way on the other side of town near the lighthouse. But at least it meant he could stay in Sunyshore. The smallest of reliefs, since the expulsion stood.

As he was leaving, the Gym Leader gave him one last piece of advice while putting his tools away. "Just don't do anything to ruin that."

He flashed a thumbs-up. "I'll try not to."

---​

Nori took a drive with the Gym Trainers to a place a few kilometers across town, tucked in the middle of a row of stores sharing the same building along a busy road. "This seems out of the way," he remarked as the car stopped. He reached for the door, and on a whim, instead jumped out as Kallisto was putting the top up.

"Believe us," Eddie replied with a grin. "It's worth the trip and hassle to park."

Nori examined the building, which was labeled Fruitropico. The logo had fruit in place of the vowels: an peach and orange for the Os, a banana and cucumber for the Is, and stylized cherries and grapes lining the U. Beneath was text reading ‘real fruit, not tree fruit’. He was already sold.

"To give you an idea," Kallisto said as he opened the driver's side door. "It was founded 52 years ago by an Italian couple who immigrated here from their home region. They still run it to this day."

He understood. "So if it's been around this long, it has to be good."

"That's right," the head Gym Trainer said. "Let's head inside. I'll introduce you."

The dining area of the store was only forty square meters at best, but made the most of its limited space. The booths and tables were all off to the sides. The garbage and recycling were in wheeled cabinets near the entrance. A number of drawings and paintings were hung up on the walls. There was plenty of walking space in front of the ordering area, which had two plastic displays. On one side, there were meats and fresh fruits and vegetables. The other had chilled fruit and drinks sitting in ice.

As they walked in, some chimes hanged above the door rang out. A person with ovular glasses seated to the right - a staff member, Nori figured from their fruit-embroidered shirt and possibly the purple beret - looked up from a notebook. "Oh, Kallisto and friends!" the person said, lowering a pencil. "It's good to see you. And is that Nori Carino with you?"

"Hi there," the boy waved before turning to Kallisto, unamused. "Do you always get greeted by name? Just curious."

"Only sometimes, but we're regulars here." Kallisto nodded to the person who had welcomed them. "This is Luka Vestra, they're the shop's resident artist."

"You oversell me," Luka said with a sheepish chuckle, brushing the bangs of their bobbed hair behind their ears. "I'm just a student at Ashen Legacy who's doing part-time work for some extra money." Interesting, Nori thought. So he'd know at least one person at the school come September. Even if it seemed from how old they were, it'd only be for a half a year.

"So how've you been lately?" Kallisto asked Luka.

"Is that Kallisto Keravnos, dear?" the voice of an elderly woman interrupted from the back.

"It is. I'll take their order, Mrs. Hōseki," Odd surname for Italians, thought Nori, unless they were naturalized citizens. Luka reached into their inner pocket and got out a notepad as well as a different pencil. "Things have been fine, I've been calling mom whenever I can," they said with a measure of haste. "Anyway, will it be the usual for you three?"

Kallisto flashed what Nori figured was a charming grin. "You know me so well."

"Yes," Tono plainly answered.

"Actually, gimme a sherbet swirl this time, large," Eddie said. "Feeling a grilled chicken katsu panino, too."

"All right." Luka turned to him. "How about you?"

"A cherry smoothie!" he declared, raising a finger in delight. His favorite fruit! Screw Cheris, those were dumb and spicy! And especially screw whoever decided to make their name a homonym!

"Okay. I'll get those in," said Luka as they went to the back. With this, Kallisto motioned towards a place to sit down.

---​

The guys held light conversation in between their smoothies (and in Eddie's case, the food). Nori was unable to get into it; he kept quiet and gave one sentence if not one word answers when directly addressed. It was partially not being interested in anything they were talking about, as well as the presence of Kallisto. It was strange. He could talk with the others no problem, but when the head Gym Trainer was involved, he felt anything he said could be used against him.

"Carino, is something on your mind?" Kallisto eventually asked outright.

The boy leaned back into the booth. He decided it was best to answer this one honestly. "Yes, I'm wondering if this was just some way to make up for everything you did. Or worse, get me in a good mood before trying to talk to me."

Tono placed a hand on his forehead. Eddie kept eating. But Kallisto turned away. "I wasn't really thinking of it like that."

"But you did want to talk, right?"

The boy narrowed his eyes and leaned slightly over the table. Under his harsh gaze, Kallisto buckled. "If it's all right."

"Not really, but I know you're going to eventually anyway. Let's just get it out of the way." He punctuated this by slurping his smoothie as loud as he was able. He looked out into the store; thankfully, it was just them and Luka in here, and they were engrossed in their art.

The head Gym Trainer inhaled deeply. He held it for several seconds before speaking. "First, I'd like to apologize again for how I've been treating you. Some of it was simply inexcusable or hypocritical on my behalf. Even when I was trying to help you, I should've been more tactful about it."

"I didn't care for your help anyway."

"You should care, Nori," the head Gym Trainer urged, once more switching to his first name. "You might end up alienating people or turning them off with how you've sometimes been acting. All eyes are going to be on you, the first and presently only Pokemon Rehabilitator. From what I heard, it might be years before another one comes along. It might even depend on your success. People are going to look up to you, and you're going to set the standard for what your position should be. You need to conduct yourself well at all times, because people are going to find reasons to try to bring you down."

"I know," he repeated. All of that went without saying. "Case in point, you already tried to bring me down."

"I wasn't meaning to do that, Nori. Do you understand what I'm trying to tell you, at least?"

Nori glared. Kallisto knew full well what would happen last month. He was on the verge of yelling at him, when he remembered Volkner's words. Try not to ruin things. Instead, he huffed and replied, "I appreciate your concern, but you're still saying the same things as before. You're telling me to completely change who I am. I'm sorry, but that doesn't work for me."

"Nori, you're not listening again."

"You need to listen. We're never going to agree on this, Kallisto."

"Please--"

"Screw this, I'm leaving." He'd heard enough. "Thanks for the smoothie." He sucked down what was left of it and walked out, tossing the cup in the trash on his way.

---​

That went only a little better than Tono had expected. Credit where it was due to Nori Carino for restraining himself. Still as childish as ever, but he was making baby steps.

"Is he going to be all right?" Luka asked as they folded up their sketchbook.

"I am sure he will be fine," Tono remarked. If there was one thing he had learned about Nori Carino, it was that he could handle himself no matter the situation.

"No, we're his ride back to the Gym," said Kallisto, rising from his seat. "We can't let him run off like this."

"Fine," said Eddie, popping the last bite of his panino into his mouth.

"If you are insisting, I suppose I will accompany you," Tono begrudged. He was going to make sure Kallisto only kept what he said to that. He turned to the Johto-native attendant. "Sorry about your sketch, Luka."

They opened their notebook and showed it to them. As Tono had expected, it was the four of them sitting around their booth and eating. "It's fine. I got most of it done anyway. Good luck."

"Thanks," said Kallisto. "We better hurry if we want to catch up. See you later."

---​

Everything had become clear to Nori.

He could see where Kallisto's concern was coming from. He had a point that Nori was all too painfully aware of even without him having to say it. His feisty and free-spirited attitude made him polarizing at the best of times. It was why it was so hard for him to make friends. It's why he valued those who didn't mind or saw beyond that, like Maylene, Lux, Betsy-Ann, Rashid, Prema, or Arumi. Or Claris, before he chased her away. He knew full well he needed to change a little, and he'd been working at it.

But to change himself completely? To be a good upstanding member of society who does what's expected of him, like Kallisto seemed to want him to become? That wasn't him. If it was between trying to please as many people as possible and staying true to himself, he was willing to accept the consequences of the latter. Besides, it's why he was able to become a Pokemon Rehabilitator, right? For daring to be different.

He could become a better person, while still staying himself. If Kallisto couldn't see that, screw him. He had to get out of there before he lost control of his temper.

As he marched down the sidewalk aimlessly, he heard some people behind him jogging. The boy looked over his shoulder to find it was the three Gym Trainers. He winced at himself for not expecting this, picking up the pace with a growl.

"Nori, wait," Kallisto called out.

"Enough, we're done talking for today," he snarled.

Tono sighed in exasperation. "Do you not believe you are acting a little immature here?"

There was no good answer to that question, so he decided to ignore it. "You're following me when I don't want you to, just like before." At this, Eddie actually halted. He got it, this was exactly what they were doing that day in May.

"Hankstein, it's different," Kallisto urged. "Let's go."

The dark-skinned teen muttered, "For fuck's sake, man," and begrudgingly started to move again, taking sips from his smoothie as he went. Nori had gotten a little more distance with that distraction, but the head Gym Trainer was not letting up.

"I'm going for a walk. Go back to the Gym without me."

"Nori," Kallisto firmly beseeched, refusing to give in. His friends were listlessly trailing behind. "It'll take you hours to get back to the Gym from here."

He knew that, he just didn't care. Right now, he only wanted to get away from them. Nori scoured about for any options. He spotted a park across the road, with what looked to be a gathering of some kind. People were lining up to watch or listen to something or someone. That was perfect. Whatever it was, if he went over there, he could enjoy whatever it was. They wouldn't come and stir up a scene.

He wasted no time in rushing across the street to get over, not even bothering with a crosswalk. A group of around six dozen people were listening to someone standing atop a picnic table. Two others were standing on either side. An elderly woman and a middle-aged man, both in violet robes with silver trim.

"One of the greatest gifts that has been bestowed upon us is the freedom of choice. It is this which defines us, and marks us as individuals," came a calm, elegant voice that made Nori perk up. Could it be?

As he pushed by some people to get closer, he was able to get a good look at the speaker. She was dressed in a similar elegant robe to those beside her, the only difference being hers having gold trim. There was a certain air of radiance about her, although it may have only been the sun shining upon her. She had hair as green as a forest, eyes as blue as the ocean, and wore a tiara of wood and metal.

The very familiar person spoke on. "A group can be defined as a collection of persons with the same goals or interests. However, one that is entirely uniform would unable to do anything but think and do what they are told. All people, all Pokemon have their own personality, needs, and wishes. While our culture has come to expect conformity, it is our differences that shape society, and ultimately, allows us to grow."

Words that resonated too true. "Prema," he couldn't help but call out to the speaker. "Is that you?"

The girl halted. She gasped in surprise. "Nori?"

The boy beamed. "It is you!"

He hadn't seen her in so long, not since when they met during the Demon Nidorina incident! If it wasn't for her support, he never would've gotten a chance to become a Pokemon Rehabilitator! She apparently lived in Celestic Town, but she was here! He remembered at that moment, didn't she do charity work? Maybe she was giving a motivational speech! Whatever the case, it was nothing short of a stroke of fortune - long overdue - that he ran into a real friend here!

As he was running up to see her, he was grabbed by someone from behind. He turned around, only to find it wasn't a security guard, but Kallisto.

"Nori, what do you think you're doing?" the head Gym Trainer barked, scowling in a way that made Nori shove him away on impulsive self-defense. The other two were standing at a distance, away from the crowd. "Do you know who you're talking to so casually?"

"Prema Kannagi?" What was this about?

"I mean, do you know who Prema Kannagi is?"

He scratched his head. "Um, someone famous?"

"Dumbass," Eddie casually remarked, sipping his smoothie.

"I have no interest myself," stated Tono. "But even I am aware of her identity."

Kallisto's lip curled as he explained. "You're talking to the future head priestess and only heir to the prestigious shrine I go to, Lady Prema Kannagi of the Kannagi Shrine!"

The boy blinked and turned to his friend. "Wait, hold on. You're a priestess?"

She stepped down from the table. "Nori, wait," she asked him, briefly hesitating with her words yet otherwise maintaining her serene composure. "I know you dislike religion, but allow me the chance to explain."

"Lady Kannagi, you do not need to explain anything to him," Kallisto said with a humble bow.

"I have to admit, it is unlikely he will listen," remarked Tono. Eddie meanwhile, simply sipped his smoothie and let the other two have at it.

Nori sighed. "Ugh, they're so annoying," he openly stated, not even looking back at them. Why were they being assumptive about this? "They're like this all the time."

Prema hummed over their protests, ignoring even Kallisto. "Would you rather we speak in private?" she asked.

He blinked. "Yes, please," he quickly agreed. A chance to get away from the Gym Trainers? Sign him up!

"Very well. Priestess Satomi, if we may?" She directed this to the woman that was to her right. Upon receiving a nod in reply, she turned to the crowd, giving them a remorseful bow. "I apologize, everyone. I wish to speak with my friend whom I have not seen in ten months. I hope this sermon has proven enlightening in spite of it being cut short."

The elderly woman spoke up. "I understand, Lady Kannagi. I shall take things from here. This old lady still knows a thing or two about public speaking, you know! I trust you can handle yourself?"

She nodded, bowing again. "Thank you, Priestess Satomi. I will be back as soon as we are finished." Prema turned to Nori, a warm yet worried smile on her lips. "Shall we go, then?"

"Yes, let's." Suddenly, all of Nori's worries were as distant as the clouds in the sky, and he felt like he was soaring through those same heavens. His friend was here. His friend he hadn't seen in so long! They had a lot of catching up to do, and a chance to do so without the disturbance of others.

"Are you serious?!" he heard Kallisto shout as they walked off together. "Wait, Lady Kannagi! Could I have a moment, please? Nori, stop!" His protests faded into the background as the one Prema had called Satomi hushed him.

##########
=========
##########

AND WELCOME TO THE GAME CHANGER! The other protagonist of the series is here!. This appearance was actually foreshadowed in her first personal fic, and I'm surprised no one commented on it: she had vaguely alluded to seeing Nori recently during it despite his nonpresence.

This chapter needed some extra time in the oven, but hopefully is the last one that needed significant rewrites/additions. But with this, we're accelerating towards the climax.

PREMA'S BAAAACK!! WOOHOO!! For a while I had completely forgotten about her. I had no idea she was going to be brought back, and boy, am I glad for it! Nori could really use her help and companionship right now, considering everything that's been happening to him. But yeah, Nori's right: Kallisto is right in that in some professions, you do have to conduct yourself in certain ways, like in a library or a high level job like a company CEO or in business meetings. But it should never be at the complete cost of one's individuality and personality. I myself work in the healthcare business, and we do have work protocol that requires us to maintain a level of professionalism in the workplace, but my boss and coworkers are all kind, patient, understanding people who are encouraged to be themselves. Kallisto seems to want Nori to be completely and unquestioningly obedient and subservient to authority to the point of being self-effacing, and that kind of attitude can be very mentally damaging, especially if someone is unable to do that, like if you have mental disorders like autism or had bad experiences with people in positions of authority who were cruel and abusive. But yeah, super happy that Prema is back in the picture, and here's hoping she can help Nori out of his predicament.

I found myself agreeing with Volkner even before he said it; being seen in public with Kallisto is probably the safest PR move Nori can do right now.
Not that it goes that well, as could be expected.

But Prema is back! I was expecting her to show at some point, especially since Kallisto is part of her temple.
Kallisto does not seem happy she's talking to Nori. Scared Nori will tell the future Head Priestess of his temple all about his questionable actions? Or just find it objectionable for him to take her away from her sermon to talk?
...ahahah.
Either way I love it. This gonna be good, and Nori at least has someone other than Volkner to talk about everything with, though considering her rather stringent position she may not be in Sunnyshore long. I suppose we'll find out soon.

PREMA'S BAAAACK!! WOOHOO!! For a while I had completely forgotten about her. I had no idea she was going to be brought back, and boy, am I glad for it! Nori could really use her help and companionship right now, considering everything that's been happening to him.
The other protagonist is very much here to save the day! And this was supposed to be something of a delightful blindside despite the small hint of it happening.

But yeah, Nori's right: Kallisto is right in that in some professions, you do have to conduct yourself in certain ways, like in a library or a high level job like a company CEO or in business meetings. But it should never be at the complete cost of one's individuality and personality.
We're getting to the overall message of the fic here.

Kallisto seems to want Nori to be completely and unquestioningly obedient and subservient to authority to the point of being self-effacing, and that kind of attitude can be very mentally damaging, especially if someone is unable to do that, like if you have mental disorders like autism or had bad experiences with people in positions of authority who were cruel and abusive.
Well not exactly, that's just how Nori is interpreting it. Kallisto more wants Nori to be like him: a role model, an inspiration, someone for people to look up to and aspire to be like. A model citizen. Still, latter part holds true all the same. Nori doesn't have things like a disorder or bad experience, but like he's been saying, he'd hate himself if he gave all the way in.

I found myself agreeing with Volkner even before he said it; being seen in public with Kallisto is probably the safest PR move Nori can do right now.
Not that it goes that well, as could be expected.
Of course the person it goes the worst for is Kallisto himself, and the person it goes the best for is Nori.

But Prema is back! I was expecting her to show at some point, especially since Kallisto is part of her temple.
I'll allude to this in the next notes but letting Kallisto up as part of it was something that came to me to make this moment hit that much harder for him. Especially since the Spike concept changeover forced a lot of tweaks.

Kallisto does not seem happy she's talking to Nori. Scared Nori will tell the future Head Priestess of his temple all about his questionable actions? Or just find it objectionable for him to take her away from her sermon to talk?
...ahahah.
Mwahahahaha

Either way I love it. This gonna be good, and Nori at least has someone other than Volkner to talk about everything with, though considering her rather stringent position she may not be in Sunnyshore long. I suppose we'll find out soon.
Things are bright indeed for Nori, for once. Look forward to the next few chapters!

Month 6: June of Despair (seventh part)
Month 6: June of Despair (seventh part)
June 23rd, 2015

Tono did not expect that ridiculous outing to go so poorly. Kallisto's insistence on pursuing Nori Carino out of unwanted concern had backfired to a degree his best friend had never experienced before. They had chased him all the way to a meeting with the head priestess of the Kannagi Shrine - the shrine to which Kallisto belonged, and the head priestess who had a friendly history with Nori. Tono and Eddie both had to talk sense in Kallisto, along with that elderly woman called Satomi. The latter had to issue a vague threat to get him to stop spouting rhetoric. Kallisto apologized for his outburst and left in shame. They returned to the Gym shortly thereafter.

Kallisto had shut himself up like a Cloyster. He was restlessly pacing in the arena, muttering and vocalizing.

"Sup, man?" Eddie spoke up. He had been almost unresponsive to their questions thus far, but it did not hurt to try again.

"Thinking." Kallisto paused, letting out an uncharacteristically frustrated growl. "This is way too much! How the hell is he friends with Lady Kannagi?"

Tono tapped his chin. This was something that had been on his mind as well. He was able to reach a logical theory after some thought. "They likely met during the Demon incident," he stated. "The Kannagis did attend that battle at the Gym. It was pure happenstance that they were arranging the purchase of the new shrine in Veilstone at the time."

Kallisto slowly nodded, reflecting on that. His best friend had attended the battle that led to Nori Carino being offered a position as an official, so he should have known that. "Now that you mention it, yeah. I do remember seeing them there."

"It is not impossible they spoke with him in the aftermath."

"Or before that," Kallisto said. "Now that I think about it. I swear, he looked right at her at several points during the battle."

"I suspected they knew one another prior to that incident. That may well confirm it." They could only speculate as to how such an unlikely bond came about, given she was not present and Nori Carino would be unwilling to speak.

"It's very likely, yes," agreed Kallisto.

"That they met again here and now, however..."

Eddie snickered. "Hell of a coincidence."

"Maybe it's fate?!" Ollie asked. He had done an excellent job of handling the Gym in the time they had been absent with minimal involvement from Volkner, but his accomplishment was overshadowed by the incident of the day.

"Maybe..." Kallisto mused. He clutched his head. "Could they be fated?"

"Ridiculous." The very notion of fate. "We were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time." Which they would not have been had Kallisto not insisted on chasing after Nori, but he was not about to say that outright at the moment.

Ollie energetically bounced over, in a vain attempt to cheer Kallisto up. "So what do you wanna do? Tell her how he really is?!"

He sat on the floor, leaning against a pillar and shaking his head. "I don't think that's going to do me any good."

Eddie stood and walked over. "What's the big deal anyway?" he asked, throwing up his arms. "So what if they're friends? Ain't no one who'd think Tono and me'd be friends, but there's an explanation for it."

"I'm wondering." His best friend sighed. "Am I wrong about him? Does she see something I don't?"

"Even the greatest people are at some point naive," Tono mused. Perhaps she simply had yet to see Nori Carino's darker side. Or perhaps, and he was not going to say this either, but perhaps she saw something in him which they did not.

"You're probably right," Kallisto said. "She hasn't known Nori as long as we have. She doesn't know his flaws beneath the surface."

Ollie jumped and clapped his hands. "So we are telling her!"

Tono crossed his arms. "Ridiculous. I think it's best if she judges for herself."

The worst it would do was hurt their own reputations. At best, it would only get her to be somewhat more prudent in her interactions with him. Thankfully, Kallisto nodded in agreement with this notion along with Eddie.

"There's something else..." Kallisto murmured these words, although not quietly enough so that they could not hear them. "What if she likes him?"

Eddie and Tono reacted with surprise. "Ridiculous," he again said. "This is utter paranoia and extremely presumptuous. Furthermore, I thought you were beyond worrying about his relationships."

Kallisto stood up. "Yes, but what if? People might even just see them together and assume things!"

At this, the three exchanged glances. They had never seen Kallisto act like this before. And Tono knew him in and out. This had to be something more, a facet that had only developed recently. Not a hidden side of him he had never seen until now.

"What're you getting at?" Eddie asked, arching an eyebrow.

He inhaled deeply, raising his shoulders, and letting out a heavy sigh. "I may have to do something after all, even if I don't want to."

##########​

Her name was Prema Kannagi.

She was the future head priestess and only direct heir of her family's shrine. The Kannagis went back to early Japan and were revered throughout Sinnoh and much of Japan. Her ancestors were the first to form connections with the Essences of the Soul. They had always been a progressive faith, shaping if not adapting with the times. Their expansion out of the settlement known in modern times as Celestic Town was the latest example of such. For the time being, it was limited to a major branch shrine constructed in Veilstone City.

Prema had first encountered Nori Carino ten months prior. She was in town accompanying her father who was finalizing their land deal. In retrospect, she had began to feel their meeting and subsequent involvement in the Demon Nidorina incident was born of fate. So too, had to be their reunion today, when she was only here to promote her shrine's expansion.

Nori had suggested an early dinner to her, although she proposed a light snack in turn. They had found a local salad bar known as the Genesis Garden. The Ceutholic family running the store was stunned to see her walk through their doors, yet welcomed them all the same. They were treated to the highest quality fruit, fresh off the vine. Together with the care and preparation put into the meal, it would be fit for even the gods. Yet the taste played second in Prema's mind to the fears and anxiety gripping her heart.

He was her first friend from outside the shrine; a bold declaration of his which she found acceptable. He had somehow been unaware of her identity until today, and had stated his distaste for the gods and religion. Now that he knew, too many questions polluted her mind. What did Nori think of her now? Would he be angered by her lack of disclosure? Would he even want to remain friends? Why was she not honest with him to begin with? No, she knew the answer to that one. Yet in turn she had to ask, why was this so important to her? All she knew was that she had to set things right.

"Nori, I must tell you something important," she spoke up. It would be for the best if she was the first to bring it up in conversation. "I must deeply apologize for not telling you of my position. I was fearful about what you would think if you knew of it, particularly after you made clear your stance on gods. So I did not say anything, and furthermore chose to be evasive when your friend Maylene brought up I was famous. I should have known that it was inevitable–"

"Prema," Nori cut in, as he finished the bite that he had been chewing on. "Relax," he told her with a smile. "You're you, right?"

"Y-Yes." She winced. That plea was unbecoming of her, as was that stammer.

He grinned. "So it doesn't matter what you are to me, because you're my friend!"

Prema blinked. "Yes," she replied. It was not often she was awestruck, yet she was now. It was a simplistic manner of thinking that she could not deny the wisdom behind. "Thank you, Nori." As her relief started to overthrow her confusion and self-loathing, she was able to ask, "Did you truly not know?"

Nori swallowed another bite before speaking. His manners were impeccable in that regard. "About?"

"About who I am."

"No, not until they said so."

"If you had known, would you have treated me differently?"

He shrugged. "Not really, unless you treated me different. But I get why you didn't tell me."

Prema could not help but let out a heavy sigh. Her worries were unfounded to begin with. She supposed they were a just punishment for her uncharacteristic dishonesty. If it were not for that, she would only have been looking forward to their next meeting instead of dreading it as well.

Nori pressed two fingers together, turning away from her. "Does it...worry you I don't? Didn't?"

Prema shook her head. "No, it does not." If he was not going to treat her any different now that he did, she would do the same. "I only wish I could have told you myself."

"Yeah..." he quietly agreed.

Before resuming eating, Prema whispered a silent prayer to the gods. She also sought to thank Priestess Satomi for the advice she had given. With the matter settled, she could be at ease around Nori once more. The same curious ease she had always felt around him.

Before too long, both of them had finished their salads. Prema wiped her lips with a napkin before continuing their conversation. "I am glad that my status is not an issue for you, Nori," she started. "It had troubled me for the longest time. I intended to tell you the moment we met again."

"But they beat you to it..." Nori bitterly replied.

Prema was vaguely aware of what had been happening in his life, although only through little snippets of the news on her radio. This was akin to what Nori had experienced during his time taming the Nidorina they called the Demon. Only this time, it was far worse.

"It appears that you are once more in a difficult situation," she quipped.

"That's putting it lightly," came his reply. He leaned back, sighed, turned away, and closed his eyes. Preparing for the worst.

Prema took a deep breath. "I have heard some of the reports, in vague terms. I chose to reserve judgment." She had no doubt that whatever Nori had to say about it would paint a clear picture of the situation.

Nori did not face her. "Kallisto's a member of your shrine," he noted.

"I have met him on a number of occasions." Once four years ago, once in November of last year, and briefly in late April. Oftentimes, it was alongside the Champion of Sinnoh. "However, I cannot speak to knowing him as personally as you."

"Heh," he snickered, lowering his shoulders almost imperceptibly. "When I first met him, I was one of the few people who didn't know who he was. Now I'm one of the few who know who he really is." His smirk quickly faded. "Oh, um. I didn't mean to, you know."

Prema smiled and nodded. "It is all right. Continue, Nori." Even if all she was able to do was listen, occasionally lending your ear to someone was all that person needed.

Nori drummed his fingers on the table, staring up at the ceiling. "How much do you already know?" he hesitantly asked, not giving eye contact.

"I do know you interrupted his award ceremony in early May." The boy cringed and buried his head in his arms. "I have always wondered if it was truly a prank, as he had claimed it was. It did not seem the type of thing you would do. I have not had time to follow the news as much as I would have liked lately."

She had known Nori for only a brief time, but already felt she had a solid read on him. Yes, he was bold and confrontational to a fault. Yet he was righteous and honest as well. It was difficult to see him doing something so brazen without good reason.

"Please, tell me what happened. I am uncertain if I will be able to help. However, I will support you in any way I can."

Nori slowly looked up. His expression went neutral and his arms went slack. After a little sputtering, he set about explaining the events since the start of the year. From their beginnings, to how Kallisto broke his arm on March 1st, what led to the award ceremony incident, confrontations in the Gym private and public, to what happened right before they met again. The more he explained, the more horrified Prema became.

He finished with a summary. "I've gotten ostracized, attacked, got death threats, and even expelled from school over it. Just because I don't like him." He sighed. "And, that's about it."

Once more, her friend's words had left her stunned. "Nori, I have no words," she said to cover for what she wanted to say. "That is horrible. No one should have to live this way. I truly wish I could do something to improve your circumstances."

"Sentiment doesn't really help." Nori mumbled. "But thank you for it."

Untrue. Inspiritment could make all the difference in the world. "Nori, just do not give up. There is light at the end of this dark tunnel you are in. It may appear bleak now, however...but I...I..."

She trailed off, the agony of helplessness suffocating her. Prema was one of the few people in the world with the power to make a real difference. When she could not, it always hit hard. Even speaking of this with her father was unlikely to help. All she could offer here was assurance and support. It had worked in the past, yet his current situation was far more grave.

Although she tried to find further words, no more came. All she could do was lightly bow. "I apologize. I am no good at this."

Prema had been trained in public speaking, and always had a talent for it. Going up in front of crowds and delivering a speech or sermon was no issue for her. Yet more personal conversations were a weakness of hers, even when it came to people she knew like her father and Priestess Satomi.

Her friend smiled. "It's okay. You're at least trying." Nori leaned back and huffed. "Still, these days it's like people think I can't do anything that's right," he said. "And everyone higher up is watching me close to see what I'll do. What if I mess up more? What if they want me to do something I'd hate myself for?"

This resonated with Prema, striking a chord in her heart. They wandered close to home, she believed the saying was? "I understand fully."

Nori crossed his arms. "You're just saying that."

"No, truly," she reiterated. She would not falsify personal understanding of this level. "Given my position, high expectations weigh upon me. My father in particular expects me to conduct myself with the highest eloquence and grace at all times. It can be a somewhat of a burden, to be frank."

All at once, it struck her. Why she felt unusually comfortable around Nori. Why she valued his friendship so.

"I suppose that is what I appreciate about you," she admitted to him. "I do not need to be concerned about scrutiny from you."

Prema did not have to be anyone but herself around Nori Carino. There were no expectations from him. He was not of their shrine. They were friends, and that was all there was to it.

"I see..." he said, musing what she had said.

"However," she added, giving a little bit of personal experience to him. "The thing I always remember to encourage myself along is that it will be worth it at the end."

This, he appeared to understand at once. "Thank you, Prema. I guess I already sort of knew that." He placed an elbow on the table, resting his head on the back of his palm. "I don't want to give up, but it's looking more hopeless each day. Kallisto and his friends can do anything they want. He's just better in every way than me."

Had Prema been less polite or less disciplined, she would not have been able to stop herself from either sighing or shaking her head. What Nori had said was wholly untrue.

"Is he truly?" she posed a question to him.

He glanced up. "You know something he's not good at?"

She shook her head. "No. I do not know him well enough to speak on that matter." From what she had heard, there was very little he was not good at, besides coming up with nicknames for his Pokemon. "Yet I am able to say this, Nori. You are a far better person than he is."

Nori sat up straight. He looked into her eyes. Prema hesitated. He was seeking an explanation. How to word this properly?

She could only start talking. "You have managed to befriend a Pokemon that no one else was able to, in the face of threat and adversity. And although I am certain he has served as an inspiration to many individuals, the same can be said for you. The key difference is, you do not seek to abuse your popularity."

She slightly winced. Perhaps not the best phrase to use at the end, perhaps even incorrect. She did not feel ill intentions behind Kallisto Keravnos' actions. His motivations were akin to believing what led him to success would do the same for everyone else, as well as being unafraid to pressure others using his status. It was difficult to parse into simple words, and only her speculation.

When Nori did not reply for twenty seconds, she asked with hesitation. "Did that make sense?"

Nori vaguely nodded. "It did, thank you. You're right." He put his arms on the table, relaxing. "I forgot that. No matter what everyone says, they're wrong. He's still a piece of crap."

Prema gave her approval. "Just be yourself. You need not do anything more."

"You're right. Thanks for reminding me. I'm here to learn to become a Pokemon Rehabilitator, nothing more." He took a deep breath. "But I'm tired of his garbage. I want to see him get put in his place, but I don't know how."

Prema firmly raised a palm. "Nori, you do not need to prove anything to him," she urged.

"Wanting to is being myself," he insisted. "Sitting around hoping he goes away and leaves me alone won't work. I tried that, believe me. And it might make things worse, like make him try harder. I want to do something, like find a weakness in him. I just don't know what or how."

Prema closed her eyes. She could not refute Nori's logic or reasoning. He had a goal, and she was able to help him achieve it. There was something there, a pair of faults within Kallisto Keravnos. It was perhaps improper to speak of them. Yet her urge to help her friend spoke louder.

"He is insecure," she quietly said.

"What?" Nori whispered.

"Kallisto," she clarified. "And...he's afraid of you."

She could not speak to what precisely it was. There was a peculiar anguish on his face, both on their approach and especially after they had left together. Prema herself had difficulty believing Kallisto Keravnos could be fearful of Nori. Yet there was a very subtle concern within him that did not escape her notice.

Nori thought long and hard about it. Perhaps he would know the context? "That's a lot to think about," he mused. "What can I do..."

"Please do not do anything rash," she beseeched. The last thing Prema wished for was to be responsible for a tragedy.

"Don't worry, I won't!" he assured her. Nori leaned back with a warm beam on his lips. It was both comforting and pleasant to see. "So you're Prema Kannagi, of Kannagi - that is - Celestic Town?"

She nodded. "That is correct."

"I actually heard that name before, but I thought it was just traditional Japanese for Celestic Town. So I thought that's where your name was from."

"It is the opposite," Prema clarified. "Our family name is where the town got its original name from. It is a common misconception."

"That's pretty cool!" he replied.

Prema folded her hands. "Actually, there is something I neglected to tell you when we last met. My shrine is opening a branch in Veilstone City. I thought it was only an expansion, but it appears my father and I will be present there on a full-time basis."

The old shrine would remain present, of course. Priest Warutsu intended to retire from his Gym Leader duties in part to assist with the maintenance of it. Alongside longtime shrine member Kara Carolina, Prema had no doubt it was in good hands.

Nori lit up. "Really?" he asked, leaning across the table with a wide grin. "You mean that?"

"Yes." Prema found herself returning his expression, albeit in a more restrained fashion. "I did not say so before due to my uncertainty, in several regards. Now I can say for sure."

"That's great news!"

"It is."

"So once I get done with this training, we can hang out whenever we want!"

Prema nodded. "It is something I am looking forward to."

"Sorry," Nori abruptly corrected. "If I get done with this training. And, if I'm even welcome in the region."

Prema listened intently. She supposed advice and encouragement were not going to make Nori's fears and self-doubts vanish altogether.

"Almost everyone hates me. Just because I don't like Kallisto and he doesn't like me much either. I'm not even kidding. It's gotten better to where I can be in public now, but..." He groaned. "I'm thirteen next month, and I know it's going to be one of the worst birthdays ever because of him."

"Your birthday is next month?" she inquired.

"Yeah, July 11th."

"I see." Perhaps she could send him a birthday card, or some sort of gift? Some of the younger members of the shrine had always been happy to get materialistic goods for their birthday. "I will attempt to do what I can for you, Nori."

He solemnly nodded. "Please. Just don't extend yourself. I don't think even you can stand against Kallisto."

Prema gave a sly smile. "I do not intend to, nor do I feel it necessary." At least, not direct confrontation. She still may yet speak to her father about her concerns. "However, I can say with certainty that you have the strength to persevere through this. Remember, there are people out there such as myself who support you."

He quietly nodded, lightly smiling himself. "Well, when and if I make it through this, I have something to look forward to."

As did she. Prema would be praying to the gods for Nori's success. He was her friend. And with all he had taken on, he deserved personal happiness.

##########​

Kallisto abruptly got up and left the arena after declaring he needed to do something. After a few minutes, Tono Takuma went to check on him. He stepped out in time to see his best friend swiftly walking out into the lobby and out the front door. Tono tensed, innumerable red flags being raised in his mind. He broke into a full sprint, only slowing to let the automatic doors open.

"Kallisto!" he called out to him.

"What?" He slowed down. Tono did not let up his pace until he was walking alongside Kallisto.

"I am saying this as your friend," he firmly demanded with a huff to catch his breath. "Do not do anything drastic."

"I'm not," he unconvincingly assured.

"You are planning to." At this accusation, Kallisto stopped entirely. His gaze rested on the ground. Tono put a hand on his shoulder. "You are better than this. You are getting too worked up over nothing. Nori Carino has made his decision clear. There is nothing more to it. Respect it."

"It's not that. I can't stand it, Tono," Kallisto quivered, the hints of tears beginning to well in his eyes. "I can't stand the fact that he's–" He tripped over his words briefly. "Nori Carino of all people is friends with my shrine's maiden! The future head priestess! When he hasn't changed at all since last month!"

"Breathe, Kallisto. In and out."

A panic that did not befit his station was intruding upon him. Kallisto did as asked: breathing in, holding it, and breathing out. It was something Tono did cope with his own anxiety.

It helped calm his nerves, but it did not remove the root cause of his concern. "Was I wrong about him?" Kallisto pondered aloud. "What does she see in him that I don't?"

"It is as you said. It may be the opposite, you seeing what she does not." He glanced about, leaning in closer. "But with her, you need to leave well enough alone and allow her to come to her own conclusions. Which I am certain she will." He paused before adding, "Or perhaps more likely, she is an optimistic type who prefers to look at a person's merits."

Nori Carino had his flaws, yes. But Tono could admit, he was a good person at heart. Given Prema Kannagi's talents if not her abilities, he saw the latter as more likely.

"Maybe. But I just don't know. I never knew what to expect from him, but this is just way too much." His best friend groaned and continued to move. "What if she says something? What if he tells her something?! What if she believes him and does something? What if she's wrong, what does that mean for my beliefs?! Most of all, what if she does like him?"

"Kallisto." He was taking this too hard, and it was evident nothing he said or did could ease his best friend's concerns. For the moment, at least. The only thing he could do now is stop him from making a rash mistake in his despair. "What are you planning?"

"For now, I'm going home. Tell Volkner." Tono could not blame him for that much. Kallisto was in no condition to work at the moment. He unlocked his convertible and opened the door to get in.

Tono put a hand on the vehicle. He glared at his friend, telling him non-verbally that he was not letting go until he received some answers. "You are planning something untoward. What is it?" He was not about to allow his best friend to make a decision he would regret, such as aggravating the situation with Nori Carino even further. This, he was going to stand his ground on.

Kallisto paused. He turned away, deeply considering his demand. He inhaled deeply, held it in, and let it all out, twice. "I'll tell you," he quietly spoke after his breathing exercise. "Just you. Then you can decide."

##########
=========
##########

So yeah. This was actually the very first scene I wrote in full for this fic. It obviously needed major rewrites given that the concept of Spike at the Gym became Kallisto and things got far worse than a bunch of bullying hotshot Gym Trainers pushing Nori around. How the meeting came about also changed, and as well as the antagonist's reaction - Spike didn't have a connection to Prema.

Now this was definitely a balm of a chapter if the story ever needed one. Nori reconnecting with Prema and telling her everything, along with the latter giving him her full support was really sweet to see. Nori absolutely needed to be thrown a bone after everything, and I'm so glad Prema was there to at least give him some much needed support, even if there isn't much she can really do on her end. That said, this chapter also had a sense of forebodding, namely on Kallisto's end, as he's letting his unfounded paranoia get the better of him, and I love that Tono is actively protesting against what Kallisto wants to do to Nori, whatever it is. I doubt Tono talking Kallisto out of it will work, considering what we've seen Kallisto do previously, but it's great to see Tono showing some backbone here. Curious to see how this plays out.

I can't recall if Kallisto being present for the battle with Gasha was mentioned before or not.
Still, he seems to be starting to crack after finding out about Nori being friends with Prenna, and whatever his plan is probably won't be good.Part of me wonders if he wants to contact Prenna's father to get him to forbid her from meeting Nori.

I love the irony of Ollie talking about having to tell her what Nori is really like but he got to her first so she knows about them instead.

Also worth noting that Tono does seem to be (so far) a real friend as opposed to a professional yes-man, which is one good thing.

At least Prenna was able to offer Nori some encouragement. I'm unsure if her father could/would do anything but it's worth keeping in mind.

Really though, Kallisto reminds me of a C.S Lewis quote:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

Now this was definitely a balm of a chapter if the story ever needed one. Nori reconnecting with Prema and telling her everything, along with the latter giving him her full support was really sweet to see. Nori absolutely needed to be thrown a bone after everything, and I'm so glad Prema was there to at least give him some much needed support, even if there isn't much she can really do on her end.
The two are indeed intended to have something of a sweet friendship.

That said, this chapter also had a sense of forebodding, namely on Kallisto's end, as he's letting his unfounded paranoia get the better of him,
Tono did mention he's never acted this way before...

and I love that Tono is actively protesting against what Kallisto wants to do to Nori, whatever it is. I doubt Tono talking Kallisto out of it will work, considering what we've seen Kallisto do previously, but it's great to see Tono showing some backbone here.
Oh, he's not necessarily doing it out of concern for Nori. Tono is mainly doing it out of concern for Kallisto.

I can't recall if Kallisto being present for the battle with Gasha was mentioned before or not.
Off-handedly in M3-5.

"You've felt the thrill of a good win before. I've seen it." Kallisto grinned. "I saw your battle against Gasha Qian, believe it or not. I saw how you celebrated that win. That's what the point is. It's about personal improvement, and being proud of yourself."

Still, he seems to be starting to crack after finding out about Nori being friends with Prenna, and whatever his plan is probably won't be good.Part of me wonders if he wants to contact Prenna's father to get him to forbid her from meeting Nori.
Do consider that Haruto was fine with Prema going to help Nori before. That said, there's a lot more to it than Nori being friends with her. As he was rambling about, one of them is the possibility of him being the one who was wrong the whole time, since Prema doesn't seem to mind Nori.

I love the irony of Ollie talking about having to tell her what Nori is really like but he got to her first so she knows about them instead.
This is something of an odd remnant that I made work due to the Kallisto/Kannagi Shrine connection. Originally in the very first draft, the meeting was entirely random. Spike and co tried to ruin things, but Prema understood at once and they had their talk. There was no ridiculous reaction from Spike, but Nori was given a much bigger confidence boost from it.

Also worth noting that Tono does seem to be (so far) a real friend as opposed to a professional yes-man, which is one good thing.
He's been trying, ever since early May.

Really though, Kallisto reminds me of a C.S Lewis quote:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
Very fitting indeed.

=====
######
=====

In fact, have a small bonus: the original dialogue of this scene, with the original Gym Trainers concept. Which was mostly just rougher personalities with no redeeming factors planned yet and a more effectual Spike at the Gym rather than Kallisto.

Prema: "Nori, I need to tell you something important."
Prema: "I apologize for not telling you my position. When you said what you said about gods, I was worried that if you knew of what I did, it would cloud your judgment of me. So I concealed it, evaded the subject when your friend Maylene brought up I was famous. I should have known that--"
Nori: "Prema. Relax."
Nori: "You're you, right?"
Prema: "Y-Yes." (That is what he said before)
Nori: "So it doesn't matter what you are to me, because you're my friend!"
Prema: "Yes. Thank you, Nori."
(she was worried about nothing this whole time. she can't believe it. she's equal parts relieved, confused, and cursing herself for just not being honest over an inevitability sooner and getting it over with. it would have saved her a lot of worry.)
Prema: "Did you truly not know?"
Nori: "About?"
Prema: "About who I am."
Nori: "No, I didn't until they said so."
Prema: "Would you have treated me different had you known?"
Nori: "Not much."
beat
Prema: "So, how much do you know about my family?"
Nori: "I heard the name Kannagi before, but I thought it was just traditional Japanese for Celestic Town. So I thought that's where your name was from."
Prema: "It is the opposite. Our family name is where the town got its name from."
Nori: "Does it bother you that I don't know much?"
Prema: "No, not in the slightest."

Prema: "I am glad my status is not an issue for you. To be honest, it was on my mind since our last meeting. I was going to tell you myself when we next met, but..."
Prema: "I was deeply worried when those...individuals were the ones to tell you."
Nori: "Yeah, they're like that. They've been doing it ever since I started. Knowing them they're pissed at me just for knowing you."
Prema: "I truly wish I could do something to improve your circumstances."
Nori: "Sentiment doesn't really help. But thank you for it."
Prema: "Nori, just do not give up."
Prema: "There is light at the end of this dark tunnel you are in."
Prema: "It may appear bleak now, however...but...I..."
Prema: "I'm sorry. I am no good at this."
She is a good public speaker. Helping others personally is a different story. She might offer faith to some people. But Nori has no interest in it. She is fine with this, but is unsure how else to help someone besides offering them assurance and support. It worked before, but this seems to run deeper.
Nori: "Thanks. I get what you're saying."
Nori: "It's just killing my self-confidence for everyone to get on my case for every little slip-up."
Prema: "I understand fully."
Nori: "You're just saying that."
Prema: "No, truly. Given my position, high expectations weigh upon me. My father in particular expects me to conduct myself with the highest ___ and grace at all times."
Prema: "I suppose that is what I appreciate about you. I do not need to be concerned about scrutiny from you."
Nori: "I see..."

Nori: "Well, it's not just the criticism I have to deal with. There's them. No matter what I do they find just about any reason to insult and say they're better than me. And Spike often is at everything."
pause
Prema: "Is he truly?"
Nori: "Wha? You know something he's not good at?"
Prema: "No, no. I do not personally know him to speak on that matter."
Prema: "Yet I am able to say this, Nori. You are a far better person than he is."
pause
Nori: "I am, aren't I? Yeah! I don't know why I didn't see that. Maybe he is more skilled at me at things, but he's still a piece of crap! He even picks on his friends!"
Prema nods
Prema: "Just be yourself. You need not do anything more."
Nori: "You're right. I'm doing just fine with my training. That doesn't mean I have to put up with his garbage, though. It's annoying and I'm tired of it. It's making it so not worth it. I want to see him get put in his place, but I don't know how."
Prema: "Nori, you do not need to prove anything to that person."
Nori: "Wanting to is being myself."
Nori: "I don't want to just stand there and take it. That never works! Just sitting around and hoping he goes away isn't going to do anything, and might just make it worse. I have to go out and do something!"
Prema thinks. She saw something. Ordinarily it would be improper to expose someone. Btu she wants to do something to help Nori.
Prema: "He is insecure."
Nori: "What?"
Prema: "That Spike."
Nori: "Thank you. I think I can see why."
Prema: "Please do not do anything rash."
Nori: "Don't worry, I won't!"

Nori: "So you're Prema Kannagi, of Kannagi - that is - Celestic Town?"
Prema: "Actually, there is something I neglected to tell you when we last met. My shrine is opening a branch in Veilstone City. I thought it was only expansion, but it appears my father and I will be present there on a full-time basis."
Nori: "Really? You mean that?"
Prema: "Yes. I did not say so before as I was uncertain. Now I can say for sure."
Nori: "That's great news!"
Prema: "It is."
Nori: "So once I get done with this training, we can hang out whenever we want!"
Prema: "It is something I am looking forward to."

Month 6: June of Despair (eighth part)
Month 6: June of Despair (eighth part)
June 25th, 2015

Kallisto, insecure. Nori had been mulling this over for the past two days. He was rethinking all of the head Gym Trainer's actions so far and putting them into context. And the more he thought about it, the more it made sense. But Kallisto, afraid of him? Nori found that hard to believe. Yet, he didn't think Prema was wrong or lying, either. How could Kallisto be afraid of him? And why? Association with her? It couldn't simply be that.

It was so great seeing Prema again, though. It was a huge boost to his motivation, not just from the comfort and advice she had given, but knowing there was another friend waiting for him back in Veilstone! That she was the future head priestess of her shrine didn't bother him. She knew he wasn't interested in faith and respected that. Unlike stupid Kallisto and his stupid lack of respect for everything he did. Or religion-wise, a brief friend named Cassius who didn't want to stay friends unless he read their scriptures. It was ridiculous! If there's gods who do stuff, why rely on them instead of doing things yourself? He only wondered what his mom would think about this friendship, given she hated religion even more.

Of course, to see his mom, along with Prema, Maylene, and all his other friends again, he would have to make it through his training first. His passion had been reignited, and he was more resolved than ever to succeed. The boy had decided to go for a skateboard ride to think about things. Now that he wasn't a target to be shunned on sight anymore, he could get away from the Gym when he needed.

He scowled the moment he stepped outside. All the Gym Trainers were riding around on their own skateboards - even Ollie. And they were with some girl, who didn't have one. She had blonde hair tied into a large ponytail that hung over her head, and was clad in a sky blue tube top with jean shorts that barely reached her kneecaps.

"Goin' boardin', man?" Eddie cordially greeted him. The other guys politely waved.

"Yes, just not here," he replied. He eyed the female among them, and couldn't help asking, "Uh, who's this?"

Kallisto, beaming with pride, walked up and put an arm around her. "Nori, I'd like you introduce you to my girlfriend, Chasity."

"The most beautiful cheerleader at Gama Memorial Senior!" Oh yes, her. Arumi and Betsy-Ann mentioned her. Even if she hadn't done horrible things to the latter, Nori figured he'd immediately hate her anyway.

The head Gym Trainer grinned, giving him a nod and making a ‘go ahead now’ gesture. "Finally decided to take that step forward."

Hanging off her boyfriend's muscular arms, Chasity unamusedly curled her lip. "Kallisto, dear, why ever are you bothering with this dolt who's all looks?"

Nori's expression went blank from the blind hypocrisy of the cheerleader's words. He looked to the others, back to her, and to the head Gym Trainer. "Kallisto, she's shallower than a puddle."

Chasity hands flew to her mouth as she gasped, stepping back in exaggerated shock. "You can't talk about me that way!" she pouted.

"Nori, that was uncalled for." Kallisto crossed his arms. Meanwhile, his friends had suppressed snickers.

"Kallisto, why are you with her?" he asked him, plain and simple. One look and three sentences out of her told Nori he would not wish this girl on his worst enemy.

"Like I said, I decided it was time."

Chasity fawned over the head Gym Trainer, loosely wrapping her arms around him from behind. She stood using his body as full support, and traced a finger along his chin. "And who better for a popular, beautiful man to be with than a popular, beautiful woman?" she cooed.

"You could've picked anyone other than her! Is this really the type of person you want to be with?! You're better than this!" he snapped. He couldn't believe Kallisto! This might've been the worst thing he'd done in the time Nori knew him! He turned to the other Gym Trainers. Maybe they could talk some sense into him. "What do you three think?"

Tono shuffled a foot. He probably knew before anyone else, Nori figured. Ollie shook off. "We're staying out of this," Eddie answered.

Kallisto remained stoic. "You don't know unless you try, right?"

"Fine, just thought I'd ask." He'd normally agree with him on that, except some things were too obvious a choice. But in the end, he hardly cared what Kallisto wanted to do with his life. He said his piece, and Kallisto made his stance clear. "If you want to waste your love on a parasite like her, go ahead."

"How mean!" she played the role of a helpless victim. "Kallisto, defend my honor!"

As the boy was walking off, Kallisto rolled in front of him. He kicked up and crossed his arms. "Nori, I'm fine with whatever you say about me. But I'm not going to let you talk that way about my friends."

"I'm going skating," he said as he started to move around Kallisto. When the head Gym Trainer blocked his path, he turned around and went the other way.

"Why don't you skate with us?"

"Because, I don't like you," he said without looking back.

"Come on, let's settle this with a race. I challenge you."

Nori stopped on the spot. "Fine," he agreed. If it was a challenge, he'd accept. "Where to?"

Kallisto gestured. "We'll go to the end of the parking lot. How's that sound?"

"Good." He wasn't sure what it was going to prove, but at least it'd be a chance to stress test the repairs on his board. Volkner had actually fixed it a while back, but Nori didn't feel motivated to ride it until this week.

Insecurity. Nori once more considered this. He called Kallisto out on his poor judgment. and Kallisto reacted by challenging him to a race of honor? That might've been him being insecure about this stupid cheerleader. But why did he do something so stupid as get with her in the first place? Especially after making clear he was waiting for the right girl back in March?

They got to their positions. Eddie ran to the other side, directly across from the Gym. "A'right, first to cross this line wins!" he yelled, gesturing to the white parking stall markings.

"Very well, then," Tono remarked. He was started to move forward, probably to start the race off, when the cheerleader bounced in front to do so.

"All right, my dear. Get ready to ruin this lame Psyduck! Now Three!" Chasity puffed out her chest, giving it a little shake. Kallisto smiled at her.

"Two..." She raised her arms high over her body, provocatively showing off her form. Nori shuddered, trying to ignore the disgusting sight by looking straight ahead.

"One..." Both skaters crouched, ready to ride.

"And go!"

The two kicked off. Nori started moving his left leg to pick up speed. He kept bringing it down on its heel, giving himself as big and hard of a push as possible with each movement. He occasionally flicked his gaze to his left to see if any vehicles were coming, but otherwise kept his vision locked forward. Look where you're going, there was nothing to focus on but the finish line. It wasn't going to take long. It'd be over shortly and he could get the hell out of here.

Before too long, he crossed the finish line. At once, the boy glanced ahead to see how much Kallisto beat him by.

Except he didn't see him. Did he not go and let him race by himself like a stupid moron? Nori turned around and saw Kallisto stopped in front of the finish line. Everyone was staring dumbfounded.

"Did I..." the boy asked, a measure of hesitation in his tone. "Did I win?" He didn't think he could've, but their reactions seemed to imply as such.

Eddie looked up at the clouds. "You did," he awkwardly confirmed.

Chasity was exaggeratingly pressing the tips of her fingers to her mouth. Tono's arms lay slack at his side. Ollie's mouth was contorted into a perfect O shape. Kallisto was still, and the others were waiting for his reaction.

However, it was Nori who reacted first. "Ha. Hahaha!" He pointed. "I beat you! I finally beat you!" He wasn't expecting this! He never thought he'd beat Kallisto at anything, but he just did! "At skateboarding, but I beat you! Yes! Woohoo!"

"One more time?" Kallisto asked.

He laughed. "Like I need to prove anything more."

"Best two out of three!"

"No! I already beat you!" He was on a high, and he wasn't going to let Kallisto bring him down from it!

"It was a fluke."

"Sore loser!"

"Prove it wasn't a fluke, Nori!" Kallisto bellowed. "You coward!"

He was in the middle of power-walking off triumphantly, only to turn around at that. "Fine! Get ready to lose again!"

Eddie could only snicker. "Hook, line, and sinker, kid."

He winced. "Whatever." He knew Kallisto was just trying to save face, anyway. Maybe he wasn't taking him seriously. As he'd been learning from Volkner, you can never let your guard down when it comes to competition. Kallisto had lost to him in a race, and a victory wouldn't be able to erase that. And if he won again, well...

"Ending point is same as last time's starting point," the dark-skinned teen said as Nori got ready. "Got it?" When both of them nodded, he started. "On your mark, get set...GO!"

Again, they kicked off. Nori made a conscious effort to go faster this time. Low center of gravity, keep your balance and push harder. Tuck in, reduce wind resistance. Heel, toe, heel, toe. He boarded forth, once more keeping his eyes forward and not daring to check on Kallisto's progress.

Once more, he crossed the finish line. He looked back right away, seeing his opponent was about a meter behind. He was in as much shock as Kallisto, turning back just in time to see he was headed for the curb. With a panicked yelp, he bailed before impact. He recovered instantly, running around and retrieving his ride.

"Yes!" he cheered. "I beat you again! Haha! Two in a row!" He couldn't help but jump for joy, laughing as he pranced around everyone. "How do you like that?!"

Tono and Ollie went into a huddle. Eddie was coming over to join them, equally as dumbfounded. Chasity put her hands on her hips.

"Kallisto, baby, what happened out there?!"

"I don't know, Chasity. But–"

"But what?" Nori asked, leaning in with the biggest smile he'd had in months, possibly years. "Are you going to say three out of five next? What if I beat you again? Four out of seven? Then five out of nine?" He hopped back. He was tempted to try backflipping away, but restrained himself from attempting something he'd never tried. "That was no fluke! That was all me!" He winked and spun his board on his left foot.

The head Gym Trainer closed his eyes. "All right," he snapped. "Enough of your boasting about winning on a simple straightaway. There's more to skateboarding than that." He marched over to the large open sidewalk area around the square-shaped building and dropped his board down, a ways to the left of the front entrance. "So once more, around the Gym."

"Sure, bring it on!" If he beat Kallisto twice, he could do it again! He took his board and stood to the left of Kallisto. He'd have taken the right, but the head Gym Trainer was standing as far over there as he could. Of course he'd want the inside. "Hey, wait a sec."

"What's the problem?" asked Eddie.

"This isn't fair! We're going counterclockwise?"

Ollie scratched his butt. "Ah, yeah. You skate goofy."

Nori sneered. "What about my skating is weird?!"

"That is what it is called," Tono haughtily informed. "Right foot on the board and left foot to push is referred to as skating goofy."

"That's stupid!"

The nerd pushed up his glasses. "The term is potentially offensive, yes."

"Come on, Nori," Kallisto attempted to encourage him. "Turning's the same as always. You know how to, right?"

"Of course I do! Lean where you want to turn, and put pressure on your toes or heels. But it's a little easier to turn with your leg outward than inward!"

The head Gym Trained flashed a phony smile. "Well, you shouldn't have a problem. If you're a good skateboarder, you should be able to keep up anyway."

"Besides," the bespectacled teen said, pushing his glasses up. "Given your logic, it would be disadvantageous to Kallisto going the other direction."

"Ugh." He hated to admit it, but that was right. "Okay, but he's taken the inside too."

Kallisto shook his head. "Someone had to. If you're not up for this–"

"I am!"

"Then let's get ready."

Nothing to do but do it, in that case. He'd just have to win a third time, even if Kallisto was trying to take every advantage he could. That would erase all doubt. He was a faster skateboarder than Kallisto. He knew it, and he couldn't stand it. Insecurity. Was Kallisto so insecure he couldn't stand this kind of loss? Despite his confident words and proud posture, the head Gym Trainer's lips were curved down and his eyes were looking nowhere in particular. Subtle concern. Was he afraid of losing to him again?

Chasity sleeked up, putting an arm around her man's shoulders. "When you beat this pretender, there'll be a big smooch waiting for you."

"Our first kiss?" Kallisto perked up with a grin. Chasity smiled right back, stepping away and puckering her mouth to put on lipstick. "Looking forward to it."

Okay, now he wanted to win this more than ever, just to spare that sight. He still couldn't believe, why in the world would Kallisto date someone like her. Unless, he was still somehow worried he'd get someone first. Insecurity. That's the only thing he could think of. Why would he be worried about that, though? There was no one here who'd date him, Kallisto made sure of that. Maybe the only person who still might was Maylene, and she was not only not here but too young right now.

"My turn!" Ollie declared, running forward while excitedly flailing his arms. "You two ready to race?!"

"Of course," said Kallisto.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

"Gotcha!" He clapped and starting counting down with his fingers. "Now three! Two! One! Start!"

The start of their third race signaled, the two racers kicked off. Nori did as before, moving his left leg and positioning his body to go as fast as he could. The difference this time was paying closer attention to Kallisto. Nori was going just as fast as before and managing to stay ahead, but this time, his opponent wasn't falling too far behind.

The first turn was where things changed. Kallisto smoothly drifted to the left. Nori yelped as his path was blocked and he nearly collided with his opponent, forcing him to slow down slightly to avoid bumping him. He wasn't skinny, but Kallisto was so much bigger than him. He would've been the only one to fall over if they collided! Worse yet, the head Gym Trainer swiftly moved to the inside, stopping him from going there. Nori could only keep skating. He was behind Kallisto for the first time. Yet he was still a faster skater. He gradually caught up, just enough to overtake Kallisto again shortly before they came to the second turn.

A near repeat of the first turn happened, the only difference was he anticipated Kallisto's attempts at blocking and didn't have to slow down during the turn. But his opponent took the turn quicker, better. Nori took it wider, safer. He was still able to catch up and pass the head Gym Trainer some time after passing the entrance to Volkner's garage, but he couldn't win like this! Not when it took over half the way to catch up! That's where the finish line was, halfway!

The third turn came. Nori readied himself, putting his heel down and getting ready to shift his weight. He was able to take it smoothly, nearly matching Kallisto. He still fell behind on the turn, but was able to get back out front way sooner. Kallisto briefly scowled. His expression told the boy all he needed to know. He had to do better.

It was fast approaching. Nori had a scant few seconds to decide how he was going to approach the last turn. If there was only one way to win this, he had to take it.

Kallisto made the final turn, just as smoothly as before and, as Nori expected, a little wider in attempt to block him. If he'd turned any way like before. Instead, all at once, Nori pressed down on the back of the board and threw his body to the left. The board turned nearly 90 degrees on the spot, almost overturning. He slammed his left foot down to regain his footing, shoved forward to regain his momentum, and leaned right to regain control of the board. He'd taken the inside!

He heard a grunt of frustration from his left. Kallisto was right beside him. The head Gym Trainer forced ahead, gritting his teeth as he pushed his body and board to their limits. Nori answered in kind, matching this with a burst of speed of his own. He ignored everything else, even balance, only trying to go as fast as he could. They were neck and neck, their boards nose and nose, their legs coming dangerously close to getting tangled at several points - both refusing to go anywhere but straight forward.

Nori passed the line at nearly the same time as Kallisto. Immediately after, he leaned forward too much and lost control.

His body fell forward, his left leg flying up, his right leg following shortly thereafter and kicking the board back. He came down hard on his body, arms, and knees. He managed to roll onto his side to stop his momentum, able to hold his aching torso with one arm while supporting himself up with another. He grimaced and wheezed, tucking his legs in and squinting hard. Mercifully, he'd landed on smooth pavement that didn't tear into his flesh, and he didn't feel the sharp pain associated with a broken limb.

"Tono!" he heard the shout of Kallisto from behind. "Who won?"

Nori opened his eyes and sat up in time to see Kallisto's best friend briefly look over at him and shake his head. "I'm sorry, Kallisto," he said, the head Gym Trainer's face dropping. "Nori beat you by half a board's length."

It took a moment for it to register. "I won...I did it! Yes!"

In irritation, the head Gym Trainer grabbed his skateboard. He examined the top, bottom, spun the wheels, then jiggled them. As if thinking he somehow cheated with it. He put it down and slid it over to Nori.

The boy stopped it with his legs and stood, leaning down while holding his torso. "I...beat you..." he hissed, laughing despite being short on breath. "A third time! As you wanted!" He straightened his posture and forcibly raised his right arm. "How's that?"

Ollie, Tono, and Eddie all gathered together, murmuring amongst themselves. Kallisto remained where he was, looking down at the ground while Chasity vied for his attention. Even some passersby and Gym-goers were watching.

"You...had the advantage. But I still won! I still beat you! Yes!" He giggled. Finally, something he was better at than Kallisto! Racing skateboards! The last thing he would've expected, but he'd take it! "Woohoo!" He sheepishly massaged his aching limbs, checking again to make sure he wasn't cut open, which he wasn't. "Where's your big celebratory kiss now, jerk? I beat you again, and you all saw it! Three times!" Though with his knees still hurting, he decided to sit down, resisting the temptation to roll around laughing. "I'm better than you!"

"THAT'S ENOUGH!"

Kallisto's angered shout cut through the air as he locked eyes with Nori. Involuntarily, the boy crawled back as the head Gym Trainer advanced on him. There was something in his gaze that Nori couldn't place. An intent, a threatening look of menace. For a fleeting moment, he had a Cheshire smirk, fading to a rictis grin. One eye twitching, the other wide. Nose all the away up without tilting his head.

Nori kept both hands on his skateboard. He swung it out as a shield as Kallisto threw a point down at him. "Do you really think you're better at skateboarding than me? If you really believe that, prove it!"

The boy's arms shook. "I...I can't st-stunt! Not with this!" He didn't mean to stammer, but Kallisto looked absolutely psychotic. Was no one else seeing this?!

"That's why we're having another race, higher stakes. We're racing again. Understood?"

Nori scrambled to his feet, backing away but continuing to brandish his board as a means of defense, albeit now ready to swing it as a bludgeon if need be. "Now?"

Slowly, the head Gym Trainer shook his head. "When I'm ready, and figured out a time and place."

"But–"

"You don't get a say in this. What goes around, comes around."

When he turned his back, Nori quickly took the chance to survey the situation. Ollie and Eddie were utterly stunned, to say nothing of the onlookers. Tono was only slightly more composed. Chasity was joyous.

The cheerleader jumped into her man's arms, showering him with kisses on the cheek, but he stopped her before she could get too into it. "Not now. Looks like we have challengers. Sorry to keep you waiting."

He nodded at them, his usual attitude returning. The Gym-goers took one last look at Nori before shrugging and making to head inside.

"And especially sorry you folks had to see that," said Kallisto, giving the boy one final look of disdain. He glanced at the other Gym Trainers. "Let's go, guys."

They uneasily complied, leaving Nori to himself. However, any hopes to proceed with his plans for the day had been dashed, even without his bruises.

What was with Kallisto just now?! If looks could kill, Nori would've dropped dead on the spot. All this over being beaten in a few skateboard races and having it rubbed in? Insecurity. He'd taken some losses poorly before, too. But not like this! While he didn't know what the head Gym Trainer was plotting with this next race, he was sure that it wouldn't be anything good.

Was Kallisto afraid of him? Maybe.

But now, he was terrified of Kallisto.

##########​

June 27th, 2015[/i][/right]

"I don't get it. What's going on with Nori?"

The time was 6:30pm, and Tono Takuma was having dinner at a GKH Burger with his best friend, Kallisto Keravnos. They punched out a little earlier than usual for Saturday. There were two reasons behind this. First, Kallisto needed the extra rest. Second, Nori had been avoiding them the past few days, aside from occasionally asking strange questions. Kallisto was banking on him opening up more to Eddie or Ollie.

"Ever since he met up with Lady Kannagi, it's like he's a whole different person. He's never been this much of a sore winner before. What did she tell him?" He paused, having a sip of his cola. "What lies did he tell her? If she and the shrine disapproves of me because of it, I'll have to go to Veilstone and sort things out. When I can, of course."

"Kallisto." Tono sharply calling his name made him snap to attention. "First, he was always a sore winner when he wanted to be. Second, you are becoming obsessed about this. This is not like you."

This was getting beyond ridiculous. He thought Kallisto was starting to ease off after the talk on exhibition day, but it had gotten worse than ever after seeing Nori Carino's friendship with his shrine's head priestess. It was as if something in him completely snapped.

"Maybe I am." His best friend inhaled. "No, I definitely am. You're right."

Kallisto had ordered the store's iconic burger of the same name: their special tomato meat sauce, with a patty of beef and pork topped with a slice of tomato. You were to eat it whilst holding it in the wrapper, and dip your fries in the remaining sauce after. As for Tono himself, he had decided to order their current special: an American-style roadhouse burger which came with onion rings, bacon, and barbeque sauce.

"I can see why this could be enjoyed," he remarked. He was only trying it to see what the fuss was about. He took a sip of his iced tea, and immediately had another bite.

Kallisto chuckled. "Seems like you're enjoying it, too."

He harrumphed with his mouth full. He swallowed the bite, took another sip, and picked up a fry. "It is a limited time thing. It would not do good to get attached to it." He popped the fry into his mouth. He absolutely adored this burger, but was not about to admit that.

"Might have to try it myself soon, then."

Kallisto idly drummed his fingers along the table, looking down at his burger. He ate a few fries of his own and took a sip of his cola. He leaned in closer and whispered.

"I have to tell someone this, and it has to be you," he whispered. "I just don't like Nori. He's right. I do hate him. I think I've hated him for a while, actually." Tono listened politely, even as Kallisto paused for ten seconds. "It's okay to hate. That's what my faith says. It's one of many emotions the Great Mesprit blessed us with." Kallisto shook his head, perhaps at himself. "I just...never thought I'd come to hate anyone. I don't even know why."

Tono finished what he had been chewing on. "Irrational dislike is a thing. There are innumerable methods of handling it, so long as you do not allow it to control you. And there have been individuals in the past you have had a distaste for."

"But none like this."

"Yes, it is far more personal. That said, I do not believe your ire is unjustified. Nori Carino has given you several reasons to dislike him." Tono briefly turned away. "As you have with him."

He laughed, taking the point on the chin. "In any case, I finally get what you mean about having someone you don't want to lose to."

"And that is why you hooked up with that shallow cheerleader." The head Gym Trainer cringed at his blunt words. "Even Nori Carino was able to immediately see it."

"Harsher coming from you, though."

Tono actually told him that in the first place, but Kallisto had assured him it would be fine. That was a little disheartening. He had been attempting to step up to be the voice of reason Kallisto wanted, yet his advice was getting ignored in critical cases. Ultimately, he had indeed made a mistake accepting her, only doing so as not to be beaten out by Nori Carino. At least, that was Tono's speculation. They had yet to even kiss, and he was certain that was no skin off Kallisto's back.

"I'll stay with Chasity until she gives me a reason to break it off." He shook his head. "Looking like it may not take much, but I'll need to find some way to tell her when the time comes..."

"Wise," he agreed, internally breathing a sigh of relief. His best friend deserved far better than one such as her. All of them at the Gym, Nori included, had agreed with that. He was going against his own principles. "Regardless, your humiliation by him in front of her is why you want to up the ante with this next race."

Kallisto rolled his eyes. "Him beating me in skateboarding. Ridiculous, as you like to say."

Tono smiled. "I understand completely, my friend." For him, it was Haruna and Radovan who he hated losing to. Or any loss that felt was undeserved. He ate a few more fries before saying, "Just be careful. You do not want to do anything too rash."

"Tell that to him." His best friend laughed. "I always wanted to ride down there, though. Know I can handle it. Nori just gave me an excuse."

"Can he handle it, however? And what will you tell Volkner?" They had to work at the Gym at weekend hours during school breaks. Kallisto could not be up front about this.

"I have something in mind." A shrug. "As for Nori, maybe he'll surprise us with a little humility."

"And if he does not?"

His best friend took pause. "I don't know."

"Kallisto," he spoke up. "Are you sure about this? If and when Nori Carino goes through with this - and I have no doubt he will due to his ego - there is a very real possibility of serious injury, or worse. We will be in serious trouble, and you will not be able to get us out of it like last time."

He shook his head. "We'll set up safeguards to make sure that doesn't happen. Gracie, for example."

Tono once more eyed his friend. "Are. You sure. About this?" he repeated for emphasis. "I get what you are going for asking him to be on standby, but there is no guarantee that will work."

Kallisto shut his eyes. "Yes. I am. Understanding one's limits is important, and sometimes, you need to experience it." A little lower, with genuine anger in his tone, he added, "My mind is made up about this. And, I want to defeat him here."

An explanation and verification was all Tono needed to hear, even if it disappointed him. It all but verified his best friend was getting lost in his hatred for Nori Carino. He did not even seem to fear the risks involved, more fearing what might happen if Nori went unchecked. It did not sit well with Tono, but he did not dare speak that directly.

That said, Tono couldn't help but feel a little disappointed in himself as well. He may have been the only one able to talk Kallisto out of this, yet he felt ineffectual. Did he not have the necessary conviction? Maybe it was possible to talk him out of this, but Tono did not know how. So all he could do was be there for his friend. Even if it was only to be present to help in the worst case scenario...

##########​

June 30th, 2015

For the first time in his life, Nori was not looking forward to summer break. School was a respite from the Gym Trainers. He would have no such luxury short of leaving the Gym himself for the next two months, and that was not an option. He still had his training and Officials' studying to do.

The boy had spent the last five days worrying about how Kallisto looked at him after his third loss. That was an expression of abject hatred. If Kallisto would ruin his life when misguidedly trying to help him, what would he do when actually trying to hurt him? And no doubt, he could get away with whatever he wanted.

"Hey."

Nori was pacing about the entire Gym. The maintenance workers and security guards were yelling at him not to get in the way, but he barely heard them. As he was at the front, a blond man in a white tank top and simple jeans entered.

"Volkner...you're here?"

A curt nod. "Business."

It was nothing short of a miracle the Gym Leader had decided to come in. Nori had told him about it, but he didn't do anything. If he kept telling him, maybe he'd finally take it seriously!

He grabbed at the man. "Volkner, you have to listen. Kallisto is going try to do something to me. I don't know what, but he was mad about that skateboard race."

The man did not respond to the contact, save for turning to look at Nori. "I don't think he's like that."

"But his face! That expression!"

"You're overreacting." Volkner calmly pulled away. "Kallisto was probably just pissed he lost."

"But he wanted to race again!"

"Just beat him again."

"You say that like it's simple! You don't know what he's capable of!"

"I do," he replied. "I've known him longer than you." Volkner kneeled down and put a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Just relax, Nori. Kallisto won't try anything. If he does, he'd risk throwing away everything he's worked for. He'd never do that."

The boy opened his mouth, but was forced to lower his head. "Maybe..."

"Kallisto's a lot of things. But he's not malicious." Nori sighed, slightly nodding. "Anyway, have things to do, won't be here long."

"All right..." He should've figured the Gym Leader didn't come here to chat.

He put his hands in his pockets, gripping their contents. Volkner was right. He was worrying too much about this. His imagination was running wild in the worst way, even though he couldn't rule out that Kallisto would do something to make his life more miserable than ever. Then again, that's what the precautions he was able to take were for. He only hoped they were enough if it came down to that.

Last edited:
Normally I'm not a fan of sore winners who rub their wins in other people's faces, but honestly, after what Nori's been through, I think's earned his right to be proud of his wins and boast about them. I have a feeling this is finally going to reference that flash forward shown in the very beginning of the fic, and I'm kinda scared of what might happen. Also, Chastity is such a walking alpha bitch cliche it's kind of hilarious. A fairly straightforward chapter, and easy to breeze through, surprisingly. Can't wait to read more!

Normally I'm not a fan of sore winners who rub their wins in other people's faces, but honestly, after what Nori's been through, I think's earned his right to be proud of his wins and boast about them.
Nori's celebrations here are absolutely supposed to be hilariously over the top in utter joy. Contrast with how he reacted after beating Eddie and Tono. The former was smooth with a cheap shot yet happy, and the latter was similar to this - although it was brought on by Tono being a sore loser. Still very happy he proved to everyone (and himself) he was legit, though. Part of how I'm trying to write Nori is being humorous without being snarky, as that's very cliche. Hence moments of silliness/dorkiness like this; he can be smart-alecky, but different thing.

I have a feeling this is finally going to reference that flash forward shown in the very beginning of the fic, and I'm kinda scared of what might happen.

You would be absolutely correct. And now it's absolutely clear that Kallisto was the one Nori was racing in the prologue. And actually, that whole thing nearly fell apart due to the Gym Trainers' development, but I kept it together in the end.

Also, Chastity is such a walking alpha bitch cliche it's kind of hilarious.
I decided to go for full volume with her for humor's sake. One thing you didn't comment on: Nori called her shallow, almost completely unprovoked, and the insult was delivered bluntly. That is way out of character for him, he is like NEVER that rude for no reason. And as Tono mentioned, Nori was basically asking Kallisto why he was lowering himself to date her (and internally mentions he wouldn't wish her on his worst enemy, i.e. Kallisto). It says some interesting things about Nori that he still cares what happens to Kallisto in this regard, don't you think?

Last edited:
Ah crud, now we know about the opening. I'd guess Tono is the worried one, Kallisto and Ollie the hostile ones. Guess we're approaching the big climax.

Nori did seem rather strangely aggressive towards Chasity at first but then I recalled he knows about her putting a target on Betsy-Ann years ago.
Did I miss/forget what Nori's precautions are or will that be revealed later?

Awaiting the next update with anticipation and trepidation. I'm worried Volkner might be slightly misjudging Kallisto but an accident of some sort strikes me as the biggest risk.

Part of how I'm trying to write Nori is being humorous without being snarky, as that's very cliche.
Snark has seemingly become a generic trait a lot of writers--especially on the internet--seem to think just needs to be slotted into as many characters as possible.

Ah crud, now we know about the opening. I'd guess Tono is the worried one, Kallisto and Ollie the hostile ones. Guess we're approaching the big climax.
BE READY. BE AFRAID.

Nori did seem rather strangely aggressive towards Chasity at first but then I recalled he knows about her putting a target on Betsy-Ann years ago.
Although as he mentioned, he'd probably hate her anyway. It's supposed to stand out as a strange aggression out of him - usually when he's mad, he's pretty fiery. Here he doesn't even care to acknowledge her, and all but outright asks Kallisto why he's reducing himself to her level. He even uses a water metaphor when just hearing one can make him feel uneasy.

Did I miss/forget what Nori's precautions are or will that be revealed later?
No, missed nothing.

Awaiting the next update with anticipation and trepidation. I'm worried Volkner might be slightly misjudging Kallisto but an accident of some sort strikes me as the biggest risk.
Heh heh heh...

Snark has seemingly become a generic trait a lot of writers--especially on the internet--seem to think just needs to be slotted into as many characters as possible.
More or less. Some don't consider what a jerk it would make people come across as in real life. Or as you implied, put it on too many people. It's just overdone. That said, Nori does have some wit - but there's a difference between having a bit of that and being snarky. Sarcasm is just something he basically never does.

=====
######
=====

acealicia2.png

Randomly since I got here to snap an image, did you realize Alicia - from the Flint Gaidens - was actually a canon character? Faceless one in the games yes, but still.

Month 7: July of Death (first part)
Month 7: July of Death (first part)
July 1st, 2015

The daylight filtering in through the curtains welcomed Nori to a new day. The boy turned over and looked at the clock radio sitting on his desk. It was blank.

He pulled himself out from the covers in confusion, being careful not to disturb Pachi. He flicked the switch to turn the radio on, but got no response out of it. He went under the desk to check if it had somehow come unplugged during the night. But it was plugged in.

He put a finger on his cheek. For a moment, he pondered if the outlet had gone bad. On a hunch, he tried flipping the light switch. There was nothing. He creaked open his door, being met with a blackened hallway behind it.

It was not like how it would be at night when only a few dimmed lights were turned on - for the sake of the Gym Pokemon. Everything was off, and if it wasn't for the emergency lights, the halls would be completely dark. An Elekid came running over at once. Her incomprehensible muttering started to rouse Pachi from his slumber.

"Just relax. I'm sure it'll be fine," he assured the little black and yellow Pokemon, although this was based on no kind of certainty on his behalf. "I'm gonna get dressed now."

He shut the door and changed out of his pyjamas, placing them in his laundry hamper. With that taken care of and Pachi having woken up, he threw open his blinds and whistled for his Pokemon to follow him.

Nori made his way to the trainer's lounge. The Gym Trainers were mercifully not present, and the windows gave the room enough light to see. He glanced at the wall clock, finding it was 10:04am. The boy cringed. He'd overslept. He'd been relying on his alarm to keep him on schedule the past few nights, but this power outage threw a wrench into that. At least Volkner would be back for real today; Nori considered asking him for that melatonin pill again if this bad sleep schedule kept up. He could take it early and wake up earlier.

With no power to cook, Nori could only have cereal as a proper breakfast. He fixed himself a bowl of shredded wheat with milk after getting Pachi and the Demon their food. After eating, he let them rest in their balls and went to figure things out.

As Nori came down the stairs, he spotted the Gym Leader restlessly pacing about in the stairwell area. The man was alternating looking at his cell phone and checking his wristwatch, so engrossed that he was oblivious to Nori's presence until he spoke up.

"Good morning, Volkner," the boy greeted.

Volkner stopped. "Hey. Power's out." He scratched his cheek. "Guess that's obvious."

"What happened?"

"Blown fuse. A lot of them." He scratched his chin. "Not sure how. You have any idea?"

"It was fine when I went to sleep last night." Granted, he went to sleep at 9pm, so anything could've happened between then and waking up. "Did the guard and cameras see what happened?" He knew the latter also ran on backup power.

Volkner shook his head. "If they did, it'd make this a lot easier. Went out after midnight. Gym Pokemon didn't find anyone or anything either. Might've been a remote attack."

"A remote attack? Like, a hacker?" he mused aloud. One person came to mind, but Nori wasn't sure why Tono would do such a thing. Did Volkner make someone else mad? Or was this really some sort of random catastrophic failure?

"Gym's closed," the Gym Leader clarified the obvious. "And the damn electrician's taking his time."

"I see. And no training today?"

"Can't right now, need to wait for this slow bastard."

The boy nodded. He preferred to think of this as an opportunity. It would be cool to explore the Gym while the power was out. A familiar place with a different feel to it!

To his chagrin, the door to the arena swung open and Kallisto emerged, his friends close behind. From the vague shadows Nori spotted behind them, they had evidently been thinking a similar thing - although using the chance to have their Pokemon practice battling in the dark.

"You can come train with us, Nori," said the head Gym Trainer. Although he smiled, something about it unnerved the boy.

Volkner didn't seem to realize, or if he did, he didn't care. He merely shrugged. "That works."

"I don't want to ‘train’ with you!" Nori snapped. "I'll do it by myself, thank you!"

"Come on, we might not have a better time to do this," Kallisto urged. With a smirk that would fit better on Tono or even Ollie, he asked, "Unless you're refusing?" He didn't have to say what he was really talking about.

"I'm not refusing! I'm just..." He was just...

"Then come with us," Kallisto once again asked, provisionally starting down the hall towards the entrance.

Eddie and Tono briefly stepped back inside to grab their Pokemon, although Ollie remained. "Unless you're a pussy!" the hefty teenager taunted.

"I'm not!" he repeated. "You just haven't told me anything about it." All he knew was Kallisto wanted another skateboarding race of some kind.

"We wanted to keep it a surprise," Kallisto presented what felt like an excuse. "You need to be able to adapt to anything, after all."

Once more, Kallisto's facial features and body language bothered Nori. His smile was wider than usual, as if more forced. The head Gym Trainer was also holding his head high - looking down on him? Whatever it all meant, he felt it can't have been anything good.

"Volkner!" The boy turned to his mentor. "Help me!"

The Gym Leader mercifully took attention. "What's the problem?" he inquired.

Nori huffed. "They're planning something! I don't know what it is!"

Volkner nodded and turned to the Gym Trainers. "What are you four up to?" he asked, albeit somewhat indifferently due to his cell phone still distracting him.

Kallisto shrugged. "Well, it has nothing to do with Pokemon, admittedly. It's about skateboarding."

Nori clenched his fists and raised his shoulders. He was openly admitting to it? This didn't feel right. Especially given how badly it went the last time Kallisto was entirely honest.

"He beat me in a race a few days ago, right in front of Chasity no less. So we're upping the stakes with another one today." Kallisto chuckled. "I'm better prepared this time around. I hope you are as well, Nori."

"Yeah, he kinda can't stand that he got wrecked," Eddie dismissively quipped as he stepped back into the hallway.

The head Gym Trainer only chuckled along with the others at the shade being thrown. "In a way. I just don't want to let this loss stand."

Volkner nodded. "All right, if it's that, just don't get into trouble."

"They're going to cause trouble!" Nori insisted. "I'm not sure how, but I know they are!"

As Volkner was about to respond, there came a noise from his phone. It sounded like an engine revving. He pressed on the screen a couple times and nodded. "Technician's here," he said. "Sorry, Nori. I have to take care of this. I know you can handle yourself."

"Volkner, please!" the boy insisted, futilely running after him. Maybe he was busy, sure, but this needed taking care of right now!

"Is there something you want to admit, Nori?" Kallisto called out. "Something you want to say to me, perhaps?"

"Yeah, there is something I want to say to you! You can kiss my ass!" He flipped the bird for good measure.

This got a snicker out of Volkner. It even got Eddie and Ollie to chuckle. Yet Kallisto coolly brushed it off. "I'll pass on that. Let's get moving."

While the others started out, Nori initially remained where he was standing, feet frozen to the floor. Tono stopped in front, turning and looking him square in the eyes. "This is your decision to make, Nori Carino," he said. "I want you to be aware of that."

"Of course if you don't want to," Kallisto said, not even bothering to put on an air anymore. "You can stay here and–"

"Fine, I'll go!" he snapped. "You want a race? You got it! You're going down again!"

Maybe he'd win, maybe he'd lose! But it was just a race. It couldn't be that bad, right? Maybe trying to humiliate him at a skate park circuit or something. He got the feeling Kallisto was never ever going to shut up about this until he went through with it. So there was nothing to do but do it. One way or another, he'd be done with this after today.

---​

Nori was expecting to hop into Kallisto's convertible and drive to wherever their race would be taking place. Instead, they got on their boards and skated to the west. Nori had rarely explored in this direction before so it was something of a different experience, although he wished he could be doing so under better circumstances.

They went a fair distance, heading all the way to the outskirts of town. It was an older part of Sunyshore; some of the buildings even seemed to predate the Meiji era. Aside from their design, they hardly looked their age due to being well-maintained by their owners. The only solar panels around were stationed on a large hill overlooking the city. Beyond it stood treacherous cliffs and and thick trees.

"I still don't get why we're doing this," the boy loudly muttered as they skated down an empty stretch of pavement. All the buildings were on the other side of the road. "I already beat you. Three times."

Kallisto instantly grinded to a halt. Nori stopped on the spot, but it took the others a couple seconds to react. "You really think you're better than me, do you?" he asked, cold wrath leaking out of him. "You beat me in a race on flat ground on a simple circuit. There's so much more to skateboarding than that."

His tone surprised even the others, but they said and did nothing.

"What's wrong with you, Kallisto?!" Nori yelled. "This isn't like you! Did you snap?!"

He shrugged and picked up his board, continuing on foot. "I guess you could call it that. But whatever the case, if you're better than me at skateboarding, you'll prove yourself here. You and me. Put up or shut up, as they say."

"So what, do you want to stunt after all?" He looked out into the field of dirt to their right. All he saw were weeds and a husk where a house might've once been. "Where are we even going, some off-road race course?"

"Not quite." Kallisto gestured up the hill. "We're heading up to the observatory and skating down the steepest solar panels in the city."

"Skating down...solar panels?!" Did he hear that nonchalant remark right?! He gave the hill another look. Nori didn't want to know how tall it was, but he knew from looking it had to be over a hundred meters - and certainly the highest cliffs in the city.

Eddie boldly confirmed. "Yeah. We're getting hardcore extreme here," he remarked.

"But that's dangerous!" Nori shouted. "And trespassing!"

Ollie let out a shrill vocalization, grinning like a lunatic. "So? You gonna tell?"

"No! I'm just saying, it's dangerous! We could get in huge trouble!" That said, he was yelling with the hope that someone across the road would overhear and intervene. But no one did.

Yet getting in trouble meant nothing to Nori, particularly compared to the more grim possibility. The panels in question were at about a twenty to thirty degree angle. They led all the way up to the top...or rather, down to a small open square-shaped section that only seemed accessible by ladder. And that at least was ten meters off the ground as usual for the city's makeshift walkways. He added, "Or even killed!"

"We won't," Kallisto said without clarifying how he intended to have them survive falling off onto hard earth or even bedrock. "If it's not something you can handle–"

"You didn't tell me what it was until after I accepted your stupid race down those stupid solar panels!" he screamed a little louder. Still, no one answered his indirect plea. He turned to Tono. "And I bet it was you who messed with the Gym's power to get us the day off to do this!"

"I did no such thing," came the glasses-wearing teen's answer.

It was too much of a coincidence for that to happen. It was an obvious lie! This was completely insane! They had to have set this up! His worst fears had come true after all! But what could Nori do about it at this point?!

One thing came to mind. "I get it," he spoke up, running in front of Kallisto and pointing at him. "You just have a bruised ego! You can't stand the thought of having lost to me, can you?"

"I'm not going to dignify your imagination, Nori," came Kallisto's reply. "The only thing I'll say is I'm challenging you to another race, at the observatory, down the solar panels. If you're not up for it, you're free to step back."

Maybe he was free to. But if he did that, they would...

---​

And so it came to be. The five of them went up the hill to Sunyshore Observatory. Upon arriving, they trespassed off the beaten path behind the building to the panels there. Because they were for private property (not to mention for safety reasons), they weren't meant to be walked on, let alone skateboarded down.

Chasity - who had been waiting nearby and climbed up after a quick call from Kallisto - was waiting below with a walkie-talkie, no doubt intending to leap into her boyfriend's arms. Ollie and Tono were lounging near the small cooler Eddie had been carrying in his backpack. The former was guzzling a grape soda while cackling at him in between sips, with the latter opting for a lemonade and giving him a vacant look. By contrast, Kallisto appeared greatly worried. In a contradiction, it was as though he was urging him not to do this despite having pushed him into it.

Eddie walked up and stood beside him. With something of a forced sneer, he held up his red skateboard, which was plastered with skull decals. "You'd better be ready for this, kid. You know the rules, right?"

He looked down at his feet, one of which was propped on his own board. He slowly nodded. First across the finish line at the bottom, he knew that. This didn't mean he liked it, however. He hated it. He didn't want to go through with it, but he'd been practically forced into this.

This was way too dangerous and they didn't seem to care, or if so, weren't speaking up. People weren't allowed on here for good reason - these panels were known to be slippery at times, and it was very steep. And because it wasn't intended to be used by people, the guardrails were inadequate. They were knee high and relatively thin, compared to the usual ones being just a bit shorter than the average person. Just enough so you couldn't step off by mistake, but going down on a skateboard...

"You ready?" repeated the dark-skinned teenager.

He wasn't, but they wouldn't care. The boy gazed down the huge slope, wondering how it had come to this. When he'd first met Kallisto, it seemed they could become good friends. That changed completely in early March, and from there, it managed to get worse multiple times. But Nori never imagined things would get this bad, let alone that Kallisto would be the one to initiate these types of hostilities.

"Nori?" asked the head Gym Trainer of Sunyshore in a friendly tone which pissed Nori off. "Are you sure you're up for this?"

The boy slowly looked up. He stared at Kallisto with cold fury, slowly saying, "You're forcing me."

"Nobody's forcing you to do anything," he insisted. "You can walk away from this at any time."

The boy continued to glare. Yes, he could've backed down at any time. But if he did that, Kallisto would hold it over his head forever. And if he didn't, he'd still probably beat him and be able to brag that way. There was no way he could win in this situation.

"I'm waiting, boys!" Chasity cooed over the walkie-talkie.

"Just sit tight, Chasity," Tono replied as he picked the other one up from its place atop the cooler. "Kallisto will be down in a moment. We are just having some last minute discussion."

The head Gym Trainer nodded. "Nobody's going to think–"

"Let's get this over with." The boy moved into position, resolving to at least try. Maybe he could win here. He could only lose if he didn't, especially after coming all this way.

Kallisto was stunned, and yet sighed as if he expected it. Eddie frowned, and the other two didn't look surprised. The head Gym Trainer harshly said, "If you're still that stubborn, all right. Just as long as you know this was your decision."

The three Gym Trainers each made remarks as Kallisto went to the starting line, the slope downward.

"I cannot believe you are going through with this," an aghast and disappointed Tono stated.

"Got balls, kid," complimented Eddie.

Ollie cackled. "You're gonna die today, bitch!"

Die. He could die here. That was very true. They had supposedly had some of their Pokemon at the ready just to be sure, but would they actually help him? They had left him to die already once before. They could've easily told the Pokemon in secret, no. Don't catch Nori if he falls. Just let him die.

"All right, guys," said Eddie. "Line up."

Nori took one last look over Sunyshore City. He never realized it until that moment, but you had an entirely different view of the world from high up above. Big buildings looked so little, as if insignificant. Regardless, he was able to spot several landmarks. The Gym. The lighthouse. His schools. The woods. The beaches. Even some of the stores he had visited. They were all parts of a whole, despite otherwise having little to do with each other.

"Nori, you do not need to prove anything to him."

Prema's words suddenly echoed in his mind. The future head priestess of the Kannagi Shrine. Nori never imagined he would ever be friends with anyone involved in a religion, let alone someone so important to one. She had certainly met many people in her young life. It took her all of one real meeting to come to a conclusion on Kallisto and company. Nori still was unsure how Kallisto might fear him, but he trusted her judgment.

"Even I have come to realize that retreat is an option sometimes."

The sea dog. The man who saved his life when the others left him to drown. In retrospect, Nori had a feeling that the elderly man had done some very bad things in his life, to put it lightly. Yet he was a decent person at present. And he had a very negative opinion about Kallisto. Retreat...

"Jus' don't bother. He ain't worth the time."

Betsy-Ann. Someone else who had a bad experience with Kallisto Keravnos. She made the decision to move on, paying him little heed even as they came to work at the same Gym. Of course, their friendship and the head Gym Trainer's presumptions about them led to him involving himself in her life once more. And showed what Kallisto was capable of...

"Nori. Don't let yourself be provoked. You're bad at that."

He suddenly remembered something Volkner had said, which rang too true. No, they didn't force him into this, they goaded him. If he'd just told Kallisto to screw off and walked away, he wouldn't be here right now. He had to admit to himself, that was a problem he had. He found it hard to back away from things.

"Just try not to rock the boat too hard. Don't want to make the news for the wrong reasons, after all."

Nori shuddered as he recalled some words of Arumi. He could see this making the news. At best, everything would be fine and Kallisto would make sure they got away with the trespassing and mischief charges. At worst, Nori would make the news for dying. Now that he thought about it, there were still so many people who cared about him. All of them would hate to hear he'd gotten killed doing something stupid - his mom, Maylene, Arumi, Prema, Rashid, Volkner, Lux...

Lux.

"Nori, no!"

"You don't have to do this!"

"He's just provoking you!"

He should've listened to Lux back at Tonsen Land. If he did, he never would've gone down that waterslide. He never would've nearly drowned, and he never would've hit his head and gotten a concussion. Yet here he was in a similar situation. He'd once again been provoked into doing something dangerous.

"Hey! Are you ready, or not?!" Eddie's shouting brought him back to reality.

"Uh...y-yes. Sorry, sorry." Under his breath, his whispered, "It'll be fine, Nori."

The dark-skinned teen raised his arms. "Okay. On your mark..."

Yet like before, he'd run out of time to back out. No. It didn't matter. None of it mattered. He had already made his decision, and it was what had to be done. There was nothing to do but do it. No matter the consequences. He would just have to hope everything would be all right...

Ohh boy. This doesn't look good, and based on the title of the chapter, I get the feeling someone's probably going to kick the bucket. But other than that, not much to say about this one, as it's just build-up to the dangerous skateboarding race. Definitely can't wait to see the outcome of this one.

I've got a very bad feeling about this.

You should listen to Lux, Nori, but it's not like this doesn't fit with how Nori's acted in the past.

I suppose the question is when this inevitably goes terribly wrong how (if?) Kallisto will worm his way out.

Ohh boy. This doesn't look good, and based on the title of the chapter, I get the feeling someone's probably going to kick the bucket. But other than that, not much to say about this one, as it's just build-up to the dangerous skateboarding race. Definitely can't wait to see the outcome of this one.
Heh heh heh......

I've got a very bad feeling about this.
As you should.

You should listen to Lux, Nori, but it's not like this doesn't fit with how Nori's acted in the past.
Indeed, see all the lines coming up.

I suppose the question is when this inevitably goes terribly wrong how (if?) Kallisto will worm his way out.
Find out next time.

Back
Top Bottom