• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Nuzlocke Challenge

Vayre

~Squeeeee~
Reaction score
The Nuzlocke challenge is a challenge designed to make the game harder, specifically it forces you to improvise and be very careful about not letting your pokémon faint. A basic set of rules is below, but they vary from place to place.

Definite Rules:
1 - If a pokémon faints IT IS DEAD. It must be taken to a pc and released, there are no exceptions to this.
2 - In line with the above rule, if all of your pokémon faint die its game over.
3 - Nickname your pokémon, making it all the more upsetting when they die.
4 - No out of battle healing AT ALL apart from pokecenters and other such npcs.
5 - You may only catch the first pokémon of each new route/city, new pokemon fainted? Tough shit. Wanted a pokémon that only shows up here but wasn't first? Tough shit.
6 - All legendaries must be killed or caught, stuffed in a box and never used.
7 - Battle Mode must be set to "Set" in the options. (No free switches when enemy switches)
8 - Record your journey, be it through a badly drawn mspaint comic (Which is the traditional medium) or through a story/log.

Optional rules for those who rule:
These are either not accepted by everyone, or are custom rules suggested in this thread and added to the list, pick and choose from these as you like.

9 - You may only have 6 pokémon at a time, if you see and catch one you like when your party is full you must sacrifice one of your current party for it, this is the same as normal death.
10 - You are limited to your first five pokéballs, what you find in the wild, and one bought from each town.
11 - No healing items at all. (replaces rule 4 which allows items to be used inside battles)
12 - No grinding. Improvise.

So there ya go, this thread is for the Nuzlocke challenge in general. Post your thoughts on it, post your logs/comics if you decide to try it, suggest new rules, go wild. If any especially good run-throughs are documented i'll link to the posts here.

Also obviously I take no credit for the Nuzlocke challenge or any of the rules above( apart from rule 9 ), I didn't make this, i'm just passing it on.

Last edited:
This is like the illegitimate child of fire emblem and Pokemon. I don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon. But interesting. I wonder if there is anyone crazy... I mean, brave enough to try this.

I'm gonna try to do this in SoulSilver one of these days...whenever I get around to actually beating the goddamn thing.

I tried this in I think LeafGreen...I gave up by the 3rd gym.

Bulbapedia's article says only your rules 1, 2 and 5 are definite, and number three is de facto standard.

Anyway, I'd never do this. D: This is fake difficulty to the extreme.

One of my college buddies is actually doing this. He says it's really tough. I just hope he doesn't have to release me! [He names pokemon after all of his friends, and I am a Ralts xD]

One of my college buddies is actually doing this. He says it's really tough. I just hope he doesn't have to release me! [He names pokemon after all of his friends, and I am a Ralts xD]

You're the fanservice pokemon? That's a compliment.

I wouldn't be able to make it through the first gym. At all.

I have no clue if that was sarcasm or not @_@
Pretty much he named me a green pokemon, because my favorite color is Green and my name is Jade. It makes sense in the end.

This is insane. I'm not doing this. Ever. But then again, I might, if I'm crazy/brave enough to do so.

Although it would be funny to try, I think I won't. Also revives.

This is like the illegitimate child of fire emblem and Pokemon. I don't think I'll be trying it anytime soon. But interesting. I wonder if there is anyone crazy... I mean, brave enough to try this.

Meh, still differs pretty much. Although you just gave me a new idea to make nuzlocke harder, "all moves that get to 0 pp in battle must be replaced."

This worked in Fire Emblem...when no boss had an advantage to stop your full charge swarm tactics. In pokemon it's mano y mano, basically you're screwed

I might try this when I get HG, need to save some more money though :(

Just thinking of the league makes me shiver :D

Just thinking of the league makes me shiver :D

That's assuming you survive the horror that is Whitney's Miltank =p

Anyways i'm going to be starting one of these myself, currently i'm just finishing few things, then going through kanto. After that restart and Nuzlocke time =p

I remember getting destroyed by that Miltank back in Silver, but I totally destroyed it in HG. I really wish I could remember what I did. I probably abused fly/sand-attack.

My friend is giving me his copy of Pearl when I visit him next month, and I'm currently debating whether to try this (minus permadeath rule) or just transfer over my HG team and steamroll the game.

tacotaskforce, the permadeath rule is pretty much what makes this challenge, well, challenging. Only catching the first pokémon of the first route is inconvenient, but easily overcomable.

4 - No out of battle healing AT ALL apart from pokecenters and other such npcs.
6 - All legendaries must be killed.
7 - Battle Mode must be set to "Set" in the options. (No free switches when enemy switches)
7 - Record your journey, be it through a badly drawn mspaint comic (Which is the traditional medium) or through a story/log.

I DON'T REMEMBER THIS STUFF

also 2 7s or

anyway I attempted doing this on LeafGreen but got owned by Brock so I quit for the time being. I'll do this on Platinum I think.

...I'm sorry for being a bit of a jerk... But this is just dumb, to me. At least, the first couple of rules.

Pokemon do not die.

That is one of the most basic, important rules of the entire series. Call it stupid, but really. Death isn't something that you should throw away like this. Anyone who says that only applies to children is wrong. I really don't think a lot of people understand and respect death, even those that should because of their age.

When someone dies, they're gone forever. You can never talk to them in person again, or see their smile except in pictures and memories. People are not dispossable tools, and neither are any living things. Pokemon are, at the very least, pets. You love them and, well... either you go through extreme suffering when they're deleted, or you just don't care. Either way, calling such a thing "death" is shallow and disrepectful. Death is heavily connected to love.

The term should never be applied to something like video games.

They never come back.

You can turn on the game, and everything will be back to normal. You can't do that in real life. Yes, that sounds stupid, but think about it for a minute.

...sorry.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom