• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Obscure Pokémon anime trivia

Oh! And speaking of battle trivia, here's some interesting stuff regarding Ash's Pikachu (and inspired by discussions about the upcoming PWC match with Volkner). Of all the species Pikachu has fought against, there are four that he's fought more than once and has a notoriously bad record against: Poliwrath, the Electabuzz line, Luxray, and Charizard.

Poliwrath- Pikachu only ever fought a Poliwrath twice, first against Tad's Poliwrath (who also beat Ash's Charizard afterwards, though Charizard was the only one allowed to get even), and then against Chuck's. Both times, Pikachu got beaten pretty easily despite having the type advantage. Whether Pikachu will ever be able to get even with the wrestler frog remains to be seen, but seeing how the Poliwag line has faded quite hard into obscurity with the exception of Politoed, it may very well never happen. Also, call me a conspiracy theorist, but the Poliwag line being Pokemon creator Satoshi Tajiri's favorite Pokemon might have something to do with Poliwrath's good winrate against the franchise mascot...

The Electabuzz line- Pikachu has faced off against these guys the most out of the Pokemon I mentioned, and he notably tends to fare quite poorly against them: the only times he was able to outright win was against Dr. Namba's Electabuzz in Johto (which barely counts, since he double-teamed it alongside Ritchie's Pikachu in that instance) and then against Volkner's Electivire in Sinnoh (the only time he won against a member of this line fair and square). There's also the first fight against Paul, which came down to Pikachu vs Elekid and was counted as a draw, but even Ash himself pointed out that Pikachu was the one to collapse first, so it still could be seen as a loss depending on your perspective (and either way it's still not an outright win). Every single other time, though? Crushing loss. That said, it looks like Pikachu will get his second win against this family if previews of the upcoming Volkner match are any indication.

Luxray- Pikachu's so far only fought against this species twice, first against Volkner and then against Clemont, but he lost both times. It is possible that the odds will be evened out a little in the match against Volkner, though...

Charizard- The most recent of the bunch, and like Luxray, so far only fought twice (against Alain and Leon). Though I do find it quite interesting that it took until Gen 6 for Pikachu to face off against a Charizard, seeing how the two species have been around since the franchise's beginning.

Charizard- The most recent of the bunch, and like Luxray, so far only fought twice (against Alain and Leon). Though I do find it quite interesting that it took until Gen 6 for Pikachu to face off against a Charizard, seeing how the two species have been around since the franchise's beginning.
Wait, Pikachu and Charizard never battled until XY???????

No, seriously, I don't even know what to say here.

He did fight Ritchie’s Charmander, does that count?

He did get his ass kicked either way so I guess the point stands.
Well,,,,,, yes and no lol

It might be part of the line but wasn't a Charizard, you know?

But yeah, I'm pretty sure Pika would've been stomped either way so... ¯\(ツ)

As of this writing, the English voice acting credits for BW069 and BW070 are nowhere to be found. On Amazon Prime Video and Pokémon TV the voice acting credits for BW049, the first episode of the season (seen below) are displayed instead. On the American and Australian DVDs, there is a completely black screen where the voice acting credits are normally displayed.

Please let me know if you see anything different (even if it's an international dub that retains the English dub-specific credits).

Attachments

• 8540FC00-88FB-471E-8073-044131F3FA3F.png
    8540FC00-88FB-471E-8073-044131F3FA3F.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 59
In the English dub of AG010, there's an otherwise minor character at the beginning that Prime Video's closed captions name "Michael", and sounds like he was voiced by an actual kid.

Sure enough, at the end of the voice actor credits in that episode, a "Michael Fergione" is mentioned.

(There have been other characters voiced by child actors in the dub like Alex Davis in EP171 and Stephanie in AG034, but they're usually more documented online.)

Speaking of belated move debuts, Return is one move that to date has never been seen used by anyone in the anime despite having such a wide distribution (literally anything that could learn TMs had access to this move before it was removed in Gen 8) and the fact that just about every trainer that isn't a villain (and even several trainers that are) has a close bond with their Pokemon. Even Ash has never had a Pokemon with Return even though it'd probably be obscenely powerful on just about any Pokemon he caught. What makes this even more ionteresting is the fact that Return's evil counterpart, Frustration, actually has been used in the anime a couple of times.

Speaking of belated move debuts, Return is one move that to date has never been seen used by anyone in the anime despite having such a wide distribution (literally anything that could learn TMs had access to this move before it was removed in Gen 8) and the fact that just about every trainer that isn't a villain (and even several trainers that are) has a close bond with their Pokemon. Even Ash has never had a Pokemon with Return even though it'd probably be obscenely powerful on just about any Pokemon he caught. What makes this even more ionteresting is the fact that Return's evil counterpart, Frustration, actually has been used in the anime a couple of times.
Considering how much the show likes to talk about trainer/Poké relations I'm astounded Return hasn't been used.

I mean DP was practically screaming for it to be used in the big match as Infernape's winning move.

Maybe because it might be too convenient and too powerful a move for Ash to have. Pretty much anything can learn it and his pokemon all love him to death, so everyone and their mommas could always have a trump card.

Idk if the writers would really be concerned about this tho

Back
Top Bottom