• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's put behind an essential "free" app where the father companies benefit every day

Literally every app/service/thing you’re using has someone benefitting from it.
Your data connection service provider and device manufacturer on which you’re writing this post just benefitted from this post of yours.

Niantic win again = cash grab.
Anything that benefits the main company isn’t a cash grab.
By that logic literally every service in the world is a cash grab.
At this point it just seems like a personal issue about your dislike of Niantic, Pokemon Go and Let’s Go. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong in hating the entire thing but let’s not attach false labels to justify hate.

Anyone might hate Meltan but it’s effectively free to the consumer.
The company may benefit from it but that’s the purpose of a company.

i mean i'd argue that literally everything game freak/tpc do is a "cash grab," but in the sense that everything they do is motivated by profit because of course it is, they're a for-profit company with an extremely marketable product. as opposed to being a "cash grab" in the sense of "i'm a completionist and i want this thing but i dont like how it's been marketed/ i dont want to have to pay for something im not interested in"

which by the way is... fine, and entirely the consumer's decision, but gf aren't really obligated to meet your terms any more than you're obligated to buy their product. especially in regards to mythical pokemon which haven't ever been required to achieve technical completion in the games (especially in recent years as they've been de-emphasizing the increasingly daunting "catch em all" aspect of the games altogether). mythicals have always been extraneous bonuses, and for that reason i think meltan will stay go / let's go-exclusive for the foreseeable future aside from transferring/bank. (and if anything, i imagine that's why they've toned down the lore aspect of mythical pokemon and started using them more as franchise cross-promotion. on a personal level, i know i didn't like missing the old on-cart mythical events/having to use an action replay to get them, and yeah it makes stuff like zeraora less interesting because i dont care about the movie its in but at the same time, i no longer feel like i'm missing out on something i do care about)

LGPE is indeed a main series game. But not because "Game Freak said it's a main series game". By that logic, Pokémon Quest could also qualify as a main series game if Game Freak said so. And it isn't.

The reason why LGPE is a main series Pokémon game is because it is a remake of Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition. Which is a main series game.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, the last Mythical with lore before Meltan was Magearna, and that was after Gen VI Mythicals didn't get anything. Kinda funny seeing how it, along with Meltan/Melmetal are the ones that you can get the easiest.

LGPE is indeed a main series game. But not because "Game Freak said it's a main series game". By that logic, Pokémon Quest could also qualify as a main series game if Game Freak said so. And it isn't.

The reason why LGPE is a main series Pokémon game is because it is a remake of Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition. Which is a main series game.
Dude, why did you post this again?

it's all arbitrary definitions, just like 'generations.'

Now that I think about it, the last Mythical with lore before Meltan was Magearna, and that was after Gen VI Mythicals didn't get anything. Kinda funny seeing how it, along with Meltan/Melmetal are the ones that you can get the easiest.
I really hope the mythicals we get this generation just have more lore around them. With the transition over to easy over internet or code distributions, it just seems the mythicals don't have much behind them in game, and not even much outside of the game. I would love to see the mythical distribution starting up a short event where you catch the mythical in the end (heck you can even be given an extra master ball if you just want to catch it easily). This could add more lore to the mythical Pokemon. And of course get more about the Pokemon in game.

Mythicals are just such a cool concept, rare Pokemon who have been around for a long time. I think they deserve a lot more than what they have gotten in the last couple generations.

If Pokemon Let's Go is a core, main series game, why did Game Freak specify such a "core, main series" game was coming this year when PLG was coming out? They didn't need need to mention Pokemon Sword and Shield like that if PLG are already "core, main series" games.

I thought their terminology was that PLG was "core" but not "main series". If not then whatever I guess, but I specifically remember people giving this explanation.

Ello? What's this? LOL!!!
My mood: :lapras:-->:ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, I actually wouldn't mind a Pokédex where all the Pokémon are based off ice cream. They can all have an ice cream motif, and then diverge from being ice cream into proper creatures. Just as long as they aren't literal ice cream 'mons (in terms of looks and typing), using something like ice cream flavors for new ideas sound like an opportunity fr some fun designs!

Because another main series game was coming? I don't understand why calling one game a main series game would mean another game wasn't.

Whatever dude. I'm still going to believe the people who explained the terminology earlier and not you guys.

In fact, I specifically recall reading PLG was "core" but not "main series" in online news articles, so...

If Pokemon Let's Go is a core, main series game, why did Game Freak specify such a "core, main series" game was coming this year when PLG was coming out? They didn't need need to mention Pokemon Sword and Shield like that if PLG are already "core, main series" games.

I thought their terminology was that PLG was "core" but not "main series". If not then whatever I guess, but I specifically remember people giving this explanation.

All i recall them specifying is that LGPE were not the core rpg that they announced at e3 2017 for a "2018 or later" release; they were alluding to sword & shield in that announcement (not that it ultimately matters since we ended up with games in both 2018 and 2019 anyway)

and as godeigo says, this is all just semantics anyhow. that said i personally find it silly to say that LGPE, which shares the same skeletal structure as all other main series games and is in fact a remake of one of them, isn't a main series game on the grounds that it inherits go's catching system. if radical changes to mechanics are enough to disqualify a game as being "main series" then one could just as easily argue the exclusion of ruby & sapphire or (especially) sun & moon. expecting from a video game series total rigidity and perpetual adherence to traditional formulas is very unrealistic - things change over time and at some point, creators usually start wanting to experiment, and that's an important part of the growth process

It was actually a rather long-winded specification, something like "core, mainline main series Pokemon RPG". (That is, this was Pokemon Sword and Shield, PLG was described as just "core".) Why add so many modifiers if it's pointless?

And you can't just say "Well, PLG and PSS are both all of these things regardless" without a citation, right?

Last edited:
Whatever dude. I'm still going to believe the people who explained the terminology earlier and not you guys.
Then why did you ask?

Also, how did they explain the terminology? Using words is not the same as defining them.

And you can't just say "Well, PLG and PSS are both all of these thing regardless" without a citation, right?
Here's a citation calling LGPE "core series", and nothing else.
Masuda said:
These games aren’t spin-offs. These are core Pokemon titles. As for whether we would make other games that could connect to Pokemon GO, that will depend on how the games are received. If we hear a lot of people saying that they enjoyed being able to bring Pokemon to these games from Pokemon GO, then we’ll think about maybe having future titles also be able to connect to it.”

Here's a citation where Masuda only referred to SwSh as "next core games".
Polygon said:
We’re also hard at work on another Pokemon core RPG designed for Nintendo Switch,” said series director Junichi Masuda toward the end of the presentation. “It’s being designed simultaneously with Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Let’s Go, Eevee!

Here's Tsunekazu Ishihara, CEO of Pokemon, referring to LGPE as a main series game.
Ishihara on developing LGPE said:
The main entries in the Pokemon game series have always been on handheld systems – from the Game Boy all the way to the 3DS. For this next entry, the Nintendo Switch has a variety of playstyles. While you can still play in handheld mode, you now have the option of playing on a bigger TV screen while in docked mode. Given this new hardware, I’ve found it harder to make a new mainline Pokemon game than I had originally thought

Perhaps you'd also like to cite your claim that LGPE was called "core but not main series", or that they were "referred to as something long-winded"?

and as godeigo says, this is all just semantics anyhow. that said i personally find it silly to say that LGPE, which shares the same skeletal structure as all other main series games and is in fact a remake of one of them, isn't a main series game on the grounds that it inherits go's catching system. if radical changes to mechanics are enough to disqualify a game as being "main series" then one could just as easily argue the exclusion of ruby & sapphire or (especially) sun & moon. expecting from a video game series total rigidity and perpetual adherence to traditional formulas is very unrealistic - things change over time and at some point, creators usually start wanting to experiment, and that's an important part of the growth process
This especially. Guess red and blue and green are the only main series/core games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom