• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meltan could definitely have a role or side quest in SwSh, like how Zygarde (gen 6) had a side quest in SM (gen 7).

However, those hill figures are 100% not Meltan. It's some other Pokémon. There's so many differences between Meltan and those figures... anyone arguing they're Meltan is just wasting their time. If Meltan gets a new form, it wouldn't be "now it has thin arms and legs, and has two eyes, but is the same height!" It'd be something bigger, like Melmetal, due to its Zygarde-like 'fusion' evolution method.

What are the odds of there being cheat-like DLC that some companies do?

But in other cases, such as Platinum, it actually improved the story.
But then there is no reason why that story couldn't have been incorporated originally. Game Freak just wanted a third version.

Team Rainbow Rocket and Charon's Team Galactic plans (among others) say hi.
Nah. Sure, they referenced the main story, but is there any reason why Team Rainbow Rocket couldn't have been after the UBs in SM? Or why Charon couldn't have been in DP all along? Not that he did much before that forgettable post-game quest, anyway.

Also, I was referring to features like battle facilities since that is arguably more the kind of thing people want in an expansion game/DLC. Again, a story can be made good to begin with, rendering additions less relevant. There is no problem with just working with what already exists for a DLC story expansion, either.

Meltan was outright caught by Ash. That is enough to satisfy you.

Ash's meltan looks like a common pokemon by now. But if he becomes important and evolves with an important role... that's ok for his moment. I mean all mythical pokemon means something, this moment is yet to come for meltan and will happen somewhere, with the new games being a possible place for this.

Maybe we get a "melmetal the movie" in 2021, the giant in the hill is the cover box legendary and that's ok... all I say is that meltan still needs his moment and the sword/shield is a possible place for this.

Last edited:
I don't think Pokemon really need third versions anymore if those said versions act more like DLC expansion with a full game price tacked on. It was fine to have third versions in a time when DLC wasn't a thing yet, but now that it's on the Switch, there is no valid excuse anymore. Heck, you could argue that Game Freak probably planned DLC for Gen 6 at some point but decided against it. I prefer if the story is already done and over within the first versions so that the space for other main series games would be filled with games that actually offer something majorly different than the first versions, such as remakes to older regions.

I don't think Pokemon really need third versions anymore if those said versions act more like DLC expansion with a full game price tacked on. It was fine to have third versions in a time when DLC wasn't a thing yet, but now that it's on the Switch, there is no valid excuse anymore. Heck, you could argue that Game Freak probably planned DLC for Gen 6 at some point but decided against it. I prefer if the story is already done and over within the first versions so that the space for other main series games would be filled with games that actually offer something majorly different than the first versions, such as remakes to older regions.
It's only when we come to Gen 5 that we begin to see a pattern. Whether it's intentional or not, it is worth noting

Gen 5: Main Games, Sequal Games
Gen 6: Main Games, Gen 3 Remakes
Gen 7: Main Games, Remix Games, Gen 1 Remakes 2.0
Gen 8: Main Games, Gen 4 Remakes, Gen 2 Remakes 2.0

It's goes back to Detective Pikachu, not just before Gen 7 with the game, but before Gen 8 with the film, and with a city in it called 'Ryme City'. Yes the word is Old English for boundary or edge, it's word sounds similar to 'Rhyme', and there was the Nursary Rhymes in the Pokemon Kids TV Channel with one being 'London Bridge is Falling Down' (mentioned Silver and Gold) and 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' (Mentioned Diamond), which came out a month before Gen 8 was revealed.

I'm starting to see the International 4 Gens as being something like a Rhyme in pattern, perhaps free-verse in some cases, but just like what we see the Fire Type Starters being loosely based on the Chinese Zodiac.

I doubt that Gen 8 will have a Third Game, Sequal or Remix if there are going to be remakes done. Unlike that in Gen 3 and 4 with the Original 4 Japanese Gens

I agree. I hope that if they have more to add, they add it in cheaper DLC (20-30 dollar season pass) or they add the bonus content in the eventual remakes at that time (à la XY and ORAS). I fear that Game Freak may over look Nintendo's current business strategy (fair priced, paid DLC or free DLC) in favor of cheaply making an altered game to sell a few more copies and making easy money because that has worked for them over the past 20+ years.

It's only when we come to Gen 5 that we begin to see a pattern. Whether it's intentional or not, it is worth noting

It's goes back to Detective Pikachu, not just before Gen 7 with the game, but before Gen 8 with the film, and with a city in it called 'Ryme City'. Yes the word is Old English for boundary or edge, it's word sounds similar to 'Rhyme', and there was the Nursary Rhymes in the Pokemon Kids TV Channel with one being 'London Bridge is Falling Down' (mentioned Silver and Gold) and 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' (Mentioned Diamond), which came out a month before Gen 8 was revealed.

I'm starting to see the International 4 Gens as being something like a Rhyme in pattern, perhaps free-verse in some cases, but just like what we see the Fire Type Starters being loosely based on the Chinese Zodiac.

I doubt that Gen 8 will have a Third Game, Sequal or Remix if there are going to be remakes done. Unlike that in Gen 3 and 4 with the Original 4 Japanese Gens
I'm really confused about your reasoning here, if you could elaborate? Because, like, it was called Ryme City in the game, too. It wasn't changed for the movie, so I don't really see how it points to anything when the movie is based on the game. It wouldn't make sense to change the name of the city for the movie, especially when (I would explain why I say this, but I won't go into it here 'cause that would be waay off topic) the name Ryme City was chosen for a symbolic story reason, not to hint at a game for the Switch when Sun and Moon hadn't even been released yet (DP February 2016; SM November 2016). Unless you're saying that their choice to reveal the DP movie at that time was the hint?

It's only a pattern if you assume the last line to be true-we don't know what, if any, remakes are coming out in Gen 8. With what's confirmed right now, the structure is this:

Gen 5: Main Games, Sequel Games
Gen 8: Main Games

Not only does this not have any pattern two it, there aren't even any categories repeated besides Main Games.
So, Game Freak is intentionally alluding to some sort of structure for how they plan several years' worth of games, but they only include hints in a small YouTube channel and a spinoff game? And the spinoff game's hint only works for English-speakers who will get the pun? (Ryme City's name doesn't change for other languages)

I'm starting to see the International 4 Gens as being something like a Rhyme in pattern
Seriously, what's rhyming in any of this? And why would a Japanese company base their plan on English rhymes?

It's only a pattern if you assume the last line to be true-we don't know what, if any, remakes are coming out in Gen 8. With what's confirmed right now, the structure is this:

Gen 5: Main Games, Sequel Games
Gen 8: Main Games

Not only does this not have any pattern two it, there aren't even any categories repeated besides Main Games.

So, Game Freak is intentionally alluding to some sort of structure for how they plan several years' worth of games, but they only include hints in a small YouTube channel and a spinoff game? And the spinoff game's hint only works for English-speakers who will get the pun? (Ryme City's name doesn't change for other languages)

Seriously, what's rhyming in any of this? And why would a Japanese company base their plan on English rhymes?
The English Rhymes are also in Japanese, I'm not saying that this is solid as of yet, I'm just saying how unusual that pattern looks. Also, Game Freak plans their work over 6 years in advance, Pokemon Sword and Shield was being worked on since X and Y was out and Sun and Moon was almost done. And X and Y was worked on since Black and White, meaning that there could be a chance that they could've planned something when we least expect them to. We can't underestimate them for who they are as a company that has run a huge empire for more than 20 years.

The English Rhymes are also in Japanese, I'm not saying that this is solid as of yet, I'm just saying how unusual that pattern looks. Also, Game Freak plans their work over 6 years in advance, Pokemon Sword and Shield was being worked on since X and Y was out and Sun and Moon was almost done. And X and Y was worked on since Black and White, meaning that there could be a chance that they could've planned something when we least expect them to. We can't underestimate them for who they are as a company that has run a huge empire for more than 20 years.

We know officially Gamefreak got their switch dev kit in 2014-15, so that honestly makes sense. They likely would have planned earlier.

The English Rhymes are also in Japanese
Again, what are the rhymes?
I'm not saying that this is solid as of yet, I'm just saying how unusual that pattern looks
A pattern that only exists by assuming the existence of two pairs of games.
Also, Game Freak plans their work over 6 years in advance, Pokemon Sword and Shield was being worked on since X and Y was out and Sun and Moon was almost done. And X and Y was worked on since Black and White, meaning that there could be a chance that they could've planned something when we least expect them to.
I'm not saying Game Freak doesn't plan out in advance, though I don't know where it was said that Sword and Shield was worked on since XY. What I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense to say that they've been planning their games around some weird pattern.
We can't underestimate them for who they are as a company that has run a huge empire for more than 20 years.
It's not underestimating someone to think that they're not going to hide clues to their plans in obscure places.

Again, what are the rhymes?

A pattern that only exists by assuming the existence of two pairs of games.

I'm not saying Game Freak doesn't plan out in advance, though I don't know where it was said that Sword and Shield was worked on since XY. What I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense to say that they've been planning their games around some weird pattern.

It's not underestimating someone to think that they're not going to hide clues to their plans in obscure places.
then what do you think is going to happen?

I'm just stating that some people can see it, and others can't. But that's just me.

then what do you think is going to happen?
You didn't answer my questions, but okay.
  • I think that Game Freak is going to continue to develop their games based on what inspires them. I think they won't bind themselves to any pattern that would restrict what kind of game they should make in the future-they'll focus on a game's content rather than how it fits into a pattern.
  • I think they won't try to hide secret hints alluding to a company plan, especially not in another company's game. (Detective Pikachu is made by Creatures Inc, not Game Freak) Sharing a hint to a company plan would not be a good way to keep confidential info secret. I think the most hints we'll ever get will be from Masuda's twitter.
  • Frankly, I think that Let's Go Johto is unlikely. LGPE kept out all Johto Pokemon, despite them being readily available in GO, and the fact that Lance and Agatha had to use Pokemon that weren't of their type as a result.
I'm just stating that some people can see it, and others can't. But that's just me.
That's very patronizing. Why don't you just say what the rhyme is, like I asked?

• Frankly, I think that Let's Go Johto is unlikely. LGPE kept out all Johto Pokemon, despite them being readily available in GO, and the fact that Lance and Agatha had to use Pokemon that weren't of their type as a result.
I think you'e reached the wrong conclusion. If they'd included the Johto critters in LGPE, then they wouldn't be "new" anymore in sequels. Masuda has already said that it just depends on LGPE's success.

We know officially Gamefreak got their switch dev kit in 2014-15,
How do we know that?

I think you'e reached the wrong conclusion. If they'd included the Johto critters in LGPE, then they wouldn't be "new" anymore in sequels.
But if Johto Pokemon were the only thing new feature, what would be the point of making such a game?

You didn't answer my questions, but okay.
  • I think that Game Freak is going to continue to develop their games based on what inspires them. I think they won't bind themselves to any pattern that would restrict what kind of game they should make in the future-they'll focus on a game's content rather than how it fits into a pattern.
  • I think they won't try to hide secret hints alluding to a company plan, especially not in another company's game. (Detective Pikachu is made by Creatures Inc, not Game Freak) Sharing a hint to a company plan would not be a good way to keep confidential info secret. I think the most hints we'll ever get will be from Masuda's twitter.
That's very patronizing. Why don't you just say what the rhyme is, like I asked?
The Rhymings I just look at the many patterns found within the games, anime and such. For some reason Gen 6 shared a similar theme to Gen 3 with Ash, the Female Trainer, Gym Leader and younger sibling. Even the starters they have are similar in type, with Ash and the Gym Leader swapping types. Course this could be to correlate with the Gen 3 Remake. Now overdue for a Gen 4 Remake, wouldn't it make sense if they had Ash, the Female Trainer and a Gym Leader to Galar, and yet reflecting the type choice with Gen 4? Such as the Female Trainer having Grookey, and Ash the other two starters.

It obviously couldn't be Ash with two Gym Leaders again, not after Alola with Misty and Brock, or even the Trial Captains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom