• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the point is to spread appeal to a variety of audiences, why isn't there more merchandising for Primarina and Delphox in a "feminine" way?

Because they're not going to make an entirely different, special category of merchandise for one Pokemon.

Unlike Lego, where they can release special Lego designed to appeal to female children, they can't actually change the designs of Pokemon like this. The best they can do is release something with some pink on it. And in the end, a bit of pink could do what?

Exactly-they're not given treatment that's noticeably different from other Pokemon. If they're supposed to meet a specific interest, why wouldn't they be more different than the Pokemon that aren't considered as feminine?
But they still look feminine. It's doesn't matter how they're presented, they still look feminine in the end.

Also to note:
https://i.********/vp/1555035339454.jpg

This seems to be what was blacked out. The naming contest might be the only thing in there

But they still look feminine. It's doesn't matter how they're presented, they still look feminine in the end.
If the point is to appeal to a certain audience, I would say it's pretty important how they're presented.

And if "wearing a robe" is enough to count as "looks feminine", then Lord of the Rings should be considered on par with The Barbie Diaries for films designed to be feminine.

I don’t think the bulky/cool/feminine trend really holds water honestly especially with how subjective they can be. Why does that convention even need to exist? There are plenty of non-starter Pokémon that could fit any one of those descriptions. Don’t see why they should limit their potential starter designs just to fit some trio of random qualities.

I don’t think the bulky/cool/feminine trend really holds water honestly especially with how subjective they can be. Why does that convention even need to exist? There are plenty of non-starter Pokémon that could fit any one of those descriptions. Don’t see why they should limit their potential starter designs just to fit some trio of random qualities.
Don't even know how that limits them. All of them can look like any of these 3 categories at once. Two could look cool and one bulky, one can be bulky and two cool, or all 3 look feminine, no matter how you rearrange it, the starters will always fall within these categories cause that's all the categories pokemon in general got. If anything it's less limiting to make each starter fit all three to represent each appeal.

https://i.********/vp/1555035339454.jpg

This seems to be what was blacked out. The naming contest might be the only thing in there

What is the pink thing in the right bottom corner? Not a Pokemon, is it?

Changing feminine to cute means that Delphox gets counted as cute now, because it wears a robe.

Don't even know how that limits them. All of them can look like any of these 3 categories at once. Two could look cool and one bulky, one can be bulky and two cool, or all 3 look feminine, no matter how you rearrange it, the starters will always fall within these categories cause that's all the categories pokemon in general got. If anything it's less limiting to make each starter fit all three to represent each appeal.
I thought it was pretty obvious that I was referring to the apparent trend of making the three starters be one of each of those qualities since that’s what was being discussed as a predictor; not any combination of the three. Not every Pokémon falls into one of those 3 either nor should they. There are plenty of other directions they could go (and have gone in the past).

I thought it was pretty obvious that I was referring to the apparent trend of making the three starters be one of each of those qualities since that’s what was being discussed as a predictor; not any combination of the three. Not every Pokémon falls into one of those 3 either nor should they. There are plenty of other directions they could go (and have gone in the past).
Then how about giving examples of these other ways?

I think looking at the past starters shows the problem in this line of looking at things. (well, in addition to counting Zubat and Rattata as cool) "Bulky" and "cool" are such broad categories that you can apply them to anything with a pleasing design or anything large-which is most of the final forms of Pokemon, because they tend to get bigger. Cool fills in the remaining gaps for any Pokemon too slender to be bulky. There's also the fact that, despite this trio supposedly being the model for how to plan out Pokemon, it took them six generations and almost two decades to try a bulky/cool/cute trio-and the "cute" member was only that way because it wore a robe.

interesting new news will be when Game of Thrones premieres?
Interesting the relations... Past 2 gen we got a Deer and a Lion, dragons have enough, 2 wolfs but more wolf pokes in back hand... Interesting maybe the Lycanrocs can be in this game too?

I must say again, I really have a gut feeling the name contest might be the only thing we'll get out of corocoro this time

Edit: So I found more info about that spirit armor rumor, and after reading through the details, it's an interesting idea, an equipment system

• New ‘Spirit Armor’ system introduced to the game which lets you equip armor or equipment that you have found
  • Spirit Armor adds different effects depending on the item and only one can be attached to a Pokémon at a time (but this is in addition to regular held items)
  • Some held items may be converted to Spirit Armor or at least gain the ability to serve as it;Never-Melt Ice is given as an example which will add an extra 10% chance of freezing an opponent
  • Another example Spirit Armor was given as a fiery necklace that changes an attack’s type to Fire
  • Similar to Z-Moves, some Pokémon will have exclusive Spirit Armor that can only be equipped by them, such as Mewtwo and the starting Pokémon
  • All three starter lines remain pure Grass, Fire and Water-type but, if equipped with their unique Spirit Armor, become Grass/Fairy, Fire/Fighting and Water/Ghost respectively
  • The games have a single wolf-like Legendary Pokémon as their mascot, but the Spirit Armor it wields will determine its type and attacks. In Sword it will be Dragon/Steel and in Shield it will be Ice/Steel.
  • Players can connect with others who have the opposite version to unlock the other version
  • The “wolf” Legendary cannot go into battle if it does not have any Spirit Armor equipped
  • There is definitely a connection to Kalos, with many characters re-appearing, but you cannot travel there

Last edited:
Oh boy, a gimmick pokemon that can only even fight when equipped with its gimmick add-on? Because THAT sounds like a great plan. Also I swear to god if they give the fire starter fighting type through the gimmick I will decide gamefreak staff are just really freaking stupid. Because if this is true that means they saw the fire/fighting backlash and was like "what typing should our stupid armor thing add to the fire starter?" I know! FIGHTING. They'll love it! sips paste "

This is one of my least favorite rumors yet. I am sooo tired of battle add-ons slapped into a generation to not be continued/expanded on in the next. It's always nice to have items to clutter up our characters backpacks further. By gen 10 we'll be having to grind BP for mega stones, (hopefully not) z crystals, and if this rumor is true spirit armor, and whatever battle gimmick items get shoved into gen 9 because that's apparently what they like to do now. On top of the gimmick introduced in gen 10.

But remember: You can only use one of these. <3 Pokemon only hold one item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom