• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the Rumble games are developed by Ambrella, though. It's not like they're taking resources from the Ranger games (which are usually done by Creatures) to make them.
Weren't the Ranger games made by HAL?

EDIT: Yup, it was by HAL. This explains why some of the music in the original game sound like it belongs in Kirby.

EDIT 2: It was just the first game. The rest were by Creatures themselves.

EDIT: Yup, it was by HAL. This explains why some of the music in the original game sound like they belong in Kirby.
The first Ranger game was, but the sequels were made by Creatures. Since 2/3 were Creatures, I think it makes sense to say that's the norm, even if it wasn't originally. Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Just a random thought: i'm kinda wishing that the climax of the story will be after PKMN league. I don't want the same old formula for the past 7 gens where story ends before/during the champion battle.

Not going to lie that has been something of a problem for me when it comes to Pokemon stories and one of the reasons that I like BW's story so much. The climax actually does happen at the pokemon league and it actually gives weight to the fighting in the league. Personally I honestly find the league kinda forgettable since they never do anything when the entire world is in danger which kinda makes them seem pointless. It's like you just beat the pokemon that would have destroyed the world and stopped the evil team why weren't these idiots doing anything to help. The climaxes always seeming to happen before the League always make the league seem so insignificant and pointless. I really hope they will do something about that with the stories.

I thought Rumble only had four games? This one, the two for 3DS and the one for Wii.

There’s also one for Wii U

All the Rumble games are developed by Ambrella, though. It's not like they're taking resources from the Ranger games (which are usually done by Creatures) to make them.

I didn’t mean to insinuate that one was dependent on the other. Just as a personal preference I much prefer games with actual substance, story, and fun mechanics like the Ranger series as opposed to Rumble which is just like...toy Pokémon collecting? My point is they are just dropping more and more Rumble games on us for no reason instead of...literally anything else. I was questioning if the demand for Rumble is really that high as opposed to some of the (admittedly subjectively) far better spin off series they have to choose from. Coliseum, Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, etc.

My point is they are just dropping more and more Rumble games on us for no reason instead of...literally anything else.
But "they" are actually entirely different developers. Just because Ambrella is available to create a mobile game doesn't mean the other studios in past spinoffs are able to dedicate that time themselves. Genius Sorority, the group behind the Colosseum games, only has 17 people employed since 2014-it's not surprising to think they wouldn't be able to make another Orre game right away. Spike Chunsoft, the group that made the Mystery Dungeon games, currently has its own game coming out later this year, AI: The Somnium Files, and they just recently released Jump Force. Creatures might be available, but that depends on how much work modelling Pokemon takes for whatever new content is being produced. (they handle modelling for Go, the main series, and Pokken) The frequency of Rumble games might be not because they think they're the most popular, but because Ambrella is often more available for development than the other teams.

This is also the first Rumble game released in four years, so I'm kinda confused as to how this is "dropping more and more"?

Found a rumor on 4chan:

"The next Pokémon Direct for Sword and Shield will air on Wednesday, May 22. There will be an announcement for it the day before. Trailer will show:
-New legendaries, both wolves and both pure steel. Signature moves are shown as well as their abilities. Nothing too special. Wasn’t crazy about the design.
-Bird Pokémon shown. It’s a blue jay (Normal/Flying at least for the first form)
-Bug Pokemon shown. A small round beetle. Pure bug for the first form at least
-poison dart frog Pokémon with huge hands. Gets a move called Venom Clap, which does damage and sets up Toxic Spikes. Poison/Water
-Shows the professor. It’s a woman named Professor Cypress. Her lab is the house by the lake, overgrown by plants (she studies the effects of human innovation on nature and Pokémon)
-First gym leader is an old blacksmith who remembers the region when it only started to begin innovation. He’s in the steampunk city.
-trailer talks about the importance of trains in the region
-Don’t really get to see many new areas in the trailer, except new parts of the steampunk city. Including inside a train station.

I should note—I don’t have inside information on the game itself. Just this specific direct."

Found a rumor on 4chan:

"The next Pokémon Direct for Sword and Shield will air on Wednesday, May 22. There will be an announcement for it the day before. Trailer will show:
-New legendaries, both wolves and both pure steel. Signature moves are shown as well as their abilities. Nothing too special. Wasn’t crazy about the design.
-Bird Pokémon shown. It’s a blue jay (Normal/Flying at least for the first form)
-Bug Pokemon shown. A small round beetle. Pure bug for the first form at least
-poison dart frog Pokémon with huge hands. Gets a move called Venom Clap, which does damage and sets up Toxic Spikes. Poison/Water
-Shows the professor. It’s a woman named Professor Cypress. Her lab is the house by the lake, overgrown by plants (she studies the effects of human innovation on nature and Pokémon)
-First gym leader is an old blacksmith who remembers the region when it only started to begin innovation. He’s in the steampunk city.
-trailer talks about the importance of trains in the region
-Don’t really get to see many new areas in the trailer, except new parts of the steampunk city. Including inside a train station.

I should note—I don’t have inside information on the game itself. Just this specific direct."
I saw a video showcasing this rumor. It also showed the names of the Pokemon, with the Gym Leader called Robert. Let’s hope and cross our fingers that this is real because this dry spell is getting ridiculous.

I saw a video showcasing this rumor. It also showed the names of the Pokemon, with the Gym Leader called Robert. Let’s hope and cross our fingers that this is real because this dry spell is getting ridiculous.

It says we’re getting a Pokémon direct though. We might get a video that day, but we sure aren’t getting a full Pokémon direct for it. Pokémon directs are reserved for new game announcements (XY, Bank, SM, USUM and SwSh), not for minior announcements like this.

Other than that, it seems plausible.

This "innovation" thing sends a red flag for me. What is it with leaks and that word? Like innovation is evil. Innovation isn't the same thing as technology and industrialization, and I swear they keep forgetting that.

Also can anyone really remember a time before a place started innovating, because innovation is just new ideas and ways to do things and that happens all the time?

I feel like Croagunk is already a poison dart frog that attacks with its hands- I mean, they could make another one, Croagunk doesn’t quite capture the distinct patterning of real poison dart frogs, but I think between that and the fact that they said it’d be another Direct means that its just someone making a safe guess and passing it off as a leak.

All I find on this forum is strife and divisions, a typical case as expected in fandoms.

I mean, we're not a hivemind. We're allowed to have different reactions and opinions to things, especially since we keep on hearing so many fake "leaks" and rumors. It makes sense that people are getting hesitatant with these things. If you want to trust that rumor, then go for it; everyone else can decide for themselves if they want to put faith in it.

All I find on this forum is strife and divisions, a typical case as expected in fandoms.
People have different perspective, thoughts and opinions. That isn't wrong, it's the same for everywhere, just because someone doesn't share your same opinion and such does not mean they are bad or wrong. They simply see things differently. That's all.

But "they" are actually entirely different developers. Just because Ambrella is available to create a mobile game doesn't mean the other studios in past spinoffs are able to dedicate that time themselves. Genius Sorority, the group behind the Colosseum games, only has 17 people employed since 2014-it's not surprising to think they wouldn't be able to make another Orre game right away. Spike Chunsoft, the group that made the Mystery Dungeon games, currently has its own game coming out later this year, AI: The Somnium Files, and they just recently released Jump Force. Creatures might be available, but that depends on how much work modelling Pokemon takes for whatever new content is being produced. (they handle modelling for Go, the main series, and Pokken) The frequency of Rumble games might be not because they think they're the most popular, but because Ambrella is often more available for development than the other teams.

This is also the first Rumble game released in four years, so I'm kinda confused as to how this is "dropping more and more"?
I’m not really sure why the developer matters at all? I don’t really care who is making them, I’m just sick of them lol. Mystery Dungeon etc. were also released 4 or (much) more years ago.

Releasing games in highly close proximity to one another is not done very often as far as I know. So, yes, Rumble being released right now gets in the way of another spinoff game that I (and I’m sure many others) would prefer to see much more regardless of developer.

Anyways back to Sword and Shield. The poison dart frog in that leak makes me skeptical for the same reason others have mentioned. We already have Croagunk and we even already have a clapping frog in Politoed. Another one would be pretty redundant.

Last edited:
I think the sequel was being planned well before the movie was released.
What's interesting is the fact that they're considering a Pokemon Cinematic Universe if Detective Pikachu does well enough.

I'd be pretty happy with that. I wasn't terribly impressed with Detective Pikachu's plot, but if they maintain the movie's level of world building and work on that one flaw, they could tell some great stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom