• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the Dynamax raids confirmed to be a online-only feature?
Nope, quite the opposite- Participate in Max Raid Battles | Official Website | Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield

"NOTE: If three other Trainers aren’t available to participate in Max Raid Battles, support Trainers will automatically be added to your side to help you battle the wild Dynamax Pokémon."

I'm getting confused because people keep bringing up not related game issues and I wonder which one do people really want to fix.
I think we all just want the dex issue fixed. As for the raid locations being too plentiful- yeah, sure, they really should have been made fewer but I don't think anyone really expects them to change that at this point? It's just gonna be an accepted design flaw, because it's not worth expressing more than moderate disapproval over.

well i did remember some article not long ago with Gamefreak saying that they felt they needed to branch out and learn how to do other programming things so they could improve. so maybe they feel they are lacking too?
Does anyone think the pokemon company may eventually get someone else instead of gamefreak for future games?
GameFreak is part of the pokemon company so no. XD The only way that someone other than GameFreak would be making future main series titles is if GameFreak themselves decided that they didn't want to do it anymore and handed it off. Which is really unlikely to happen, considering how successful the series is.

Nope, quite the opposite- Participate in Max Raid Battles | Official Website | Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield

"NOTE: If three other Trainers aren’t available to participate in Max Raid Battles, support Trainers will automatically be added to your side to help you battle the wild Dynamax Pokémon."

I think we all just want the dex issue fixed. As for the raid locations being too plentiful- yeah, sure, they really should have been made fewer but I don't think anyone really expects them to change that at this point? It's just gonna be an accepted design flaw, because it's not worth expressing more than moderate disapproval over.

GameFreak is part of the pokemon company so no. XD The only way that someone other than GameFreak would be making future main series titles is if GameFreak themselves decided that they didn't want to do it anymore and handed it off. Which is really unlikely to happen, considering how successful the series is.
However, there have been reports lately that GF is tired of making Pokemon games and want to do something else instead.

However, there have been reports lately that GF is tired of making Pokemon games and want to do something else instead.
yeah. i dont think they want to drop pokemon completely but branch out. I think they kinda want to be their own entity. it is why i worded it the way i did. perhaps i should have done so differently.

I think the high quality animation they were talking about might not necessarily be for battle animations, and might instead be going into some other feature that we haven't had revealed to us yet.

I really don't think we know enough yet to make any sweeping statements about overall quality, and I also just don't agree with the idea that Gamefreak is a bad development studio- since Gen 1, they haven't really delivered a game that was wildly buggy and broken (unlike a LOT of developers nowadays). They've never had a game that functions as poorly as a lot of modern Bethesda titles where they have to be modded and patched by the fans, they've never put out a Sonic 06... Gamefreak have their faults and limitations, but I feel that they've always delivered functional, completed, and polished games.

Though, I could understand why they would be tired of Pokemon and why they decided to put most of their senior staff on Town and putting more effort into that game.

All this information comes from a reddit post who claims to know someone working for TPC.
XD So about as credible as leaks from someone's uncle at Nintendo.

I read that and I’m pretty sure that the ‘GameFreak wants to make a new franchise’ part was even separate from the ‘I know this guy at TPCi’ part.

It’s unreliable at best, and hate and fearmongering at worst.
It feels a bit hilarious that I’m saying this about a video game.

I think the high quality animation they were talking about might not necessarily be for battle animations, and might instead be going into some other feature that we haven't had revealed to us yet.

I really don't think we know enough yet to make any sweeping statements about overall quality, and I also just don't agree with the idea that Gamefreak is a bad development studio- since Gen 1, they haven't really delivered a game that was wildly buggy and broken (unlike a LOT of developers nowadays). They've never had a game that functions as poorly as a lot of modern Bethesda titles where they have to be modded and patched by the fans, they've never put out a Sonic 06... Gamefreak have their faults and limitations, but I feel that they've always delivered functional, completed, and polished games.
Considering that the animation quality issue seems to be centered around the number of pokemon, it could be due to the time needed to enhance the textures and lighting on each of them. We know that the framework is futureproofed, but textures and lighting has been seeing adjustments, and there's a whole new level to that added with the Dynamax feature doubling the workload on lighting and possibly needing higher quality textures to account for the size.

That has been discussed. I think what PkmnTrainerV was asking is whether the player has to be connected to the internet to initiate the raid battles.
Again, no, because you can do local battles which presumably don't require an online connection. And why would you need it if it can supply up to three NPCs.

I mean, they have been giving us a game every single year. And their staff does seem to be limited. Most game companies don’t release a new game every year, and having to deal with 800+ Pokémon... While people hate the decision to cut Pokémon, it is understandable why something like this has to happen.

And all these “it’s not impossible to put every single Pokémon in a cart cause ORAS did it” arguments don’t take into consideration the workload it would put on the staff.

That has been discussed. I think what PkmnTrainerV was asking is whether the player has to be connected to the internet to initiate the raid battles.
I read the link and my question was answered. You can indeed battle while offline.

This part does a better job confirming it:

Only one member of the group, consisting of you and your allies, can Dynamax a Pokémon during Max Raid Battles, so close teamwork is key. Additionally, some things you can do in the Wild Area, like Max Raid Battles, can become even more fun by connecting with other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom