• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Our site's going haywire

Integrated user tables have their downsides as well. BMGf has a persistent spammer problem, Bulbapedia does not. Had we used the BMGf user table, we could well be having a spammer problem on Bulbapedia as well.

I don't think alternate sprites are putting that much load on the system. Using dozens of different images on every single page, on the other hand, generates a lot of traffic...

I would limit custom sprites to MAIN character's Pokemon only. Chappy doesn't need a sprite.

I would limit custom sprites to MAIN character's Pokemon only. Chappy doesn't need a sprite.

Chappy probably does actually, the crown is part of it's ID.

As for the talk pages, there's no need to mass-wipe the talk pages... if you see something that looks like forum discussion, delete it. Simple.

Chappy probably does actually, the crown is part of it's ID.

As for the talk pages, there's no need to mass-wipe the talk pages... if you see something that looks like forum discussion, delete it. Simple.

Chappy showed up for one episode and it will probably never show up again.

That's what I've been doing, but there's so much of it. Perhaps this could go in the message from the editor as an announcement? And an announcement could be made on the forum?

We do need some kind of social integration between the two. We could do it by force, certainly--shut down or otherwise limit userspace pages--or by expanding features on BMGf to accommodate a more social environment.

Okay, I'm out for a day and a riot happens? Good lord. I agree that there is quite a few-- Scratch that, A TON of problems. There should seriously be a lot more enforcement. I mean, I just looked at the recent changes, and almost all edits I saw were by ShiningPikablu. Quite honestly, this needs to stop. However, other than the proposals already stated, I have no other ideas.

Custom sprites: for users? No please. That would just dump crap onto Archives that never really needs to see use.

For anime/game/manga/so on? Sure, as long as it doesn't look like crap (that one of Champy really needs improvement, the pink's too bright). For shinies, like Ash's Noctowl? Well duh we keep those, same with the genders.

What needs doing is us getting off our butts and deleting all the unused crap on the archives (but first we oughta install that extension that does the multiwiki links at the top for the images so as to more easily check if they really are used). Then it's reducing the amount of images used on pages (I blame myself with the old new learnset thing; current new new learnset style is gonna be implemented ASAP). The most images on a page should be 493 on the [bp=Ndex]NDex page[/bp]. As for those little type icons... well, we could always improve the evolution chart boxes.

I am giving Shiny Noctowl some time to get those sprites saved if they haven't done so already. Then I am going to delete them. I thought that was fair.

Oh and since I'm looking in the archives now...should my archives account have sysop power as well? It hasn't had any type of powah since I became one and if we need to delete stuff...shouldn't that happen?

I'm also still in the train of thought that the screen shots of different Pokemon using the same attack isn't necessary. If all those get deleted that would help lighten the load. Case and point: Ice Beam. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ice_Beam FIVE screen shots showing one attack. Not necessary.

Last edited:
For the moves, don't we really only need the explanation of how they use the attacks; I don't see why we need the pictures. And for the talk pages, if it is some discussion about adding a table to a certain page and it is already completed, then I see no reason to keep that; I am willing to go through and delete useless "talk."

Oh and since I'm looking in the archives now...should my archives account have sysop power as well? It hasn't had any type of powah since I became one and if we need to delete stuff...shouldn't that happen?

You have sysop on Archives now. (If anyone else wishes to volunteer for cleanup duty on Archives...)

Apparently, we're going throough some updating right now...

Do I have permission to remove speculation and what not?

Updating to merge the accounts on Archives, News, and Pedia. Which might take a while. Don't worry, it'll all be working again soon.

You have sysop on Archives now. (If anyone else wishes to volunteer for cleanup duty on Archives...)

Very good, very good...

Now, I'm looking through the anime screeen shots...and it says a lot of them aren't on any page...even though some of them are.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Image:Ash_Starly.jpg <--It says here that it link's to Ash's Staravia.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Image:Ash_Starly.jpg <--It's archive page says nothing links to it. How are we supposed to know what to delete?

For the moves, don't we really only need the explanation of how they use the attacks; I don't see why we need the pictures. And for the talk pages, if it is some discussion about adding a table to a certain page and it is already completed, then I see no reason to keep that; I am willing to go through and delete useless "talk."

I agree on the move pictures. Especially on the pages for Pokemon which have only ever had a few moves.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom