• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pocket Monsters: Crystal Dev Diary

Introduction

xXSkylorXx

"Do whatever it takes. I'll make the mistakes."
Joined
Nov 7, 2023
Messages
51
Reaction score
726
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
  2. They/Them
  3. It/Its
Post 0: Introduction to the project

In this thread, I will be discussing my personal project, Pocket Monsters: Crystal, A game stemming from one overdone concept. Each post will mark 1 day of development and will include the date of when the events of each post take place.

The concept is:
What if the Generation 2 SpaceWorld demos were finished?

However, instead of fully basing it on those demos, I'm taking aspects of them and meshing them. Some maps based on the Beta maps, some based on the final maps, and some being a mesh of both.
This project will also use parts of Generation 1's beta and pre-development concepts, including the concept of buying Pokémon.

This game is being made using Xave's "Pokémon Essentials GSC" Dev kit for RPG Maker XP!

Until more posts are published, here's a screenshot of the title screen I "made" on day 4 of development:

image-9.png
 
Last edited:
24/12/23 - The Beginning
Post 1 - The Beginning
"It's Christmas eve and I'm bored" I'm thinking to myself, so I hit download on Pokémon Essentials GSC with an idea in mind.

I've always been fascinated with the development of games, cut content, lost media and game betas (my lack of an autism diagnosis shocks me too), and the first 2 Generations of Pokémon have a treasure trove of beta content, so why don't I put my love for these things into something worthwhile. A fan-game!

While this isn't my first delve into making a fan-game, this one I want to actually finish. My main weaknesses when it comes to these things, story and art, aren't going to be too much of a problem here, since I have some points already plotted out for me!

This first day of development mainly consisted of getting sprites from The Cutting Room Floor and simply adding them and changing some names (credit to Nob Ogasawara for some of the names I'll be using) and types. Here are some of them:

blossomole.PNG
bruinus.PNG
donmarin.PNG
bellossom.PNG
cottonyah.PNG
sunflora.PNG
octillery.PNG
hitmontop.PNG
blissey.PNG
 

Attachments

  • hitmontop.PNG
    hitmontop.PNG
    25.6 KB · Views: 27
  • octillery.PNG
    octillery.PNG
    25 KB · Views: 22
  • sunflora.PNG
    sunflora.PNG
    25.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
25/12/23 + 26/12/23 - How the heck do PBS files work on v18???
Post 2 - How the heck do PBS files work on v18???
So Christmas day was obviously slower development wise, but I still managed to get some things done after the festivities.
These 2 days mainly consisted of getting sprites into the game with decent colour palettes.
Below are the sprites I've done palettes for but not yet coded (Credits go to Helix Chamber for the Gen 1 beta mons front sprites):

1703934180351.png

And here are the ones that have been coded:
1703934597063.png

After some trial and error in figuring out how the PBS files and compiling them works in Pokémon Essentials v18 (What Essentials GSC v1.3 runs on), I finally managed to code in a few Pokémon:
1703935926908.png
1703935940815.png
1703935957474.png
1703935968424.png


And thats it for those 2 days. Pretty empty days in terms of content, but the next few days pick up in stuff. Kinda.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom