• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokeAni Missed Opportunities

I feel that they could have used the gold and silver rival for the johto saga. His personality and character would be a great contrast to Ash. Sure they kind of did that with Paul in the diamond and pearl saga.

I figure that they didn't introduce him since they had Gary around already and they couldn't be bothered to juggle two rivals in one saga.

I figure that they didn't introduce him since they had Gary around already and they couldn't be bothered to juggle two rivals in one saga.
Plus, Gary kinda needed to be salvaged after how shallow he had been in Kanto. As soon as he reappeared at the end of the Orange Archipelago arc, it was clear that Gary had grown far less arrogant than before, and Ash's loss to him in their first-ever battle started the buildup to the culmination of their rivalry in the Johto League.

I still don't get why Team Plasma couldn't have been a part of Best Wishes Season 1. Putting the tragic events that took a certain two parter off the air, they could've made Team Plasma less of an undergroud criminal syndicate and more of an active feature of the series. You could have large scale operations that Ash gets wrapped up in but there's also small scale conflicts like the games they could've written.

Maybe the twerps come across Team Plasma grunts who are merely holding a rally for "Pokemon Liberation" and gets them pondering about their points. The episode doesn't have to feature the grunts again so much as relate to the story. When BW2 comes along, they could just have it be the same Team Plasma BUT with a sudden wardrobe change. Maybe have both with the black suits being covert agents.

I always feel a little sad when a game location is omitted in the anime. Arguably the worst region when it comes to this is Kanto, since Ash traveled through the region twice, and while the second visit covered some locations the first trip through the region didn't cover (like the Fighting Dojo), there were still a lot of locations that were not visited during either journey, like the Silph Co.

I always feel a little sad when a game location is omitted in the anime. Arguably the worst region when it comes to this is Kanto, since Ash traveled through the region twice, and while the second visit covered some locations the first trip through the region didn't cover (like the Fighting Dojo), there were still a lot of locations that were not visited during either journey, like the Silph Co.
I find it was such a missed opportunity that when Ash travels back through Kanto that at least some of the gym leaders don’t show up. Like how is it that May had a Pokémon Contest in Saffron City and they didn’t visit Sabrina? Imagine just how big of a change she would have gone through thanks to Haunter and having her family together again.

Agreed.

Honestly, I blame Kanto for being so short. It was only a year long (83 episodes) so they couldn't really wrap up the Ash/Gary rivalry. If Kanto was written today, it would be much longer (140-150 episodes) and the rivalry would have been wrapped up then and they would have been able to use Silver for the Johto arc.

Replacing Ash
Not going a full shonen route
Having either girly girls or really annoying girls in the main cast
Not being more mature
No good female rivals. Bianca was a joke and we only get serious male rivals but really Paul was the only rival in general down right I guess

I feel fans could write a better anime at times

Why was Seel the Pokémon to evolve in The Misty Mermaid? Horsea was set up as the main Pokémon of the episode since the first scene, only for Seel to suddenly jump in out of nowhere during the climax, evolve, and save the day. Why couldn't Horsea have been the one to evolve and save the day?

Why was Seel the Pokémon to evolve in The Misty Mermaid? Horsea was set up as the main Pokémon of the episode since the first scene, only for Seel to suddenly jump in out of nowhere during the climax, evolve, and save the day. Why couldn't Horsea have been the one to evolve and save the day?
Even had they had Horsea evolve, it would have been just as big of a waste considering that she left it at the gym after that and hasn’t used it since. Not even sure the last time we saw her Horsea at this point.

Even had they had Horsea evolve, it would have been just as big of a waste considering that she left it at the gym after that and hasn’t used it since. Not even sure the last time we saw her Horsea at this point.
That's another thing: why did she have to leave those two at the Gym? Misty's sisters say that they wouldn't have enough Water Pokémon for their underwater balette otherwise, but I call baloney on that. Besides, those two were (and still are) some of the least developed Pokémon Misty has ever had. If she had to leave something, why couldn't she leave something like Staryu, instead of poor Starmie that has never gotten to live up to its status as a competitive beast from the games in the anime and could've used some development to take at least a step in that direction?

I mean feel this happens at times. A random pokemon evolves or learns a new move even if it is not the main focus.

Horsea was just the catalyst to get Misty to return to the Cerulean Gym anyways, so I'm not surprised that it didn't evolve in The Misty Mermaid episode. I don't know why Starmie was ditched in that episode though, because it would've made more sense for Misty to leave Staryu behind than Starmie who was obviously the stronger of the two.

Horsea was just the catalyst to get Misty to return to the Cerulean Gym anyways, so I'm not surprised that it didn't evolve in The Misty Mermaid episode. I don't know why Starmie was ditched in that episode though, because it would've made more sense for Misty to leave Staryu behind than Starmie who was obviously the stronger of the two.
At least it's supposed to be the strongest of the two, but the anime overall has mistreated Starmie a lot. In most of the battles one has been used in, it has been defeated in one or two hits, constantly getting overshadowed by its pre-evolved form.

At least it's supposed to be the strongest of the two, but the anime overall has mistreated Starmie a lot. In most of the battles one has been used in, it has been defeated in one or two hits, constantly getting overshadowed by its pre-evolved form.
It really feels like the writers were afraid to give Misty a powerhouse back then. Of course, I question a lot of their decisions back in Kanto especially when they didn’t know the anime was going on beyond that series.

It really feels like the writers were afraid to give Misty a powerhouse back then. Of course, I question a lot of their decisions back in Kanto especially when they didn’t know the anime was going on beyond that series.
True. And I wasn't referring to just Misty's Starmie. Just look at any Starmie from seasons 1 or 2: they are always beaten in one or two hits.

That's another thing: why did she have to leave those two at the Gym? Misty's sisters say that they wouldn't have enough Water Pokémon for their underwater balette otherwise, but I call baloney on that. Besides, those two were (and still are) some of the least developed Pokémon Misty has ever had. If she had to leave something, why couldn't she leave something like Staryu, instead of poor Starmie that has never gotten to live up to its status as a competitive beast from the games in the anime and could've used some development to take at least a step in that direction?

I never had a problem with them dropping Starmie. It was pretty redundant with her having Staryu (which was her signature battler even when Starmie was on her team). However, I would have flipped Goldeen with Horsea. Horsea at least should some personality, Goldeen was always just "there".

I never had a problem with them dropping Starmie. It was pretty redundant with her having Staryu (which was her signature battler even when Starmie was on her team). However, I would have flipped Goldeen with Horsea. Horsea at least should some personality, Goldeen was always just "there".
Yeah. Horsea could've used more screentime. And while I agree that Starmie was pretty redundant, I'm just saying that it shouldn't have been. I've really grown to dislike how Misty's ace from literally every other canon got treated like garbage in the anime and instead gave the spotlight to its pre-evolution. So it staying with Misty could've given it a chance to improve at least somewhat.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom