• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

The thing is: Journeys is VERY fast-paced when compared to other series. It might have been odd, but not 100% weird to give Ash a starter in like,,, ep 50 of other series. But considering how this current series is, I think that, at this point, Ash should get either a fully evolved Pokemon or a 2-stage one as his 6 slot.

Cuz Riolu and Farfecth'd worked imo cuz they were 2-stage lines. The rest that is 3 stage (Gengar and Dragonite) was already fully evolved when they were caught.

Either give Ash a Thwackey or a Rillaboom at this point, if they wanna give him a starter. Or none at all.

The thing is: Journeys is VERY fast-paced when compared to other series. It might have been odd, but not 100% weird to give Ash a starter in like,,, ep 50 of other series. But considering how this current series is, I think that, at this point, Ash should get either a fully evolved Pokemon or a 2-stage one as his 6 slot.

Cuz Riolu and Farfecth'd worked imo cuz they were 2-stage lines. The rest that is 3 stage (Gengar and Dragonite) was already fully evolved when they were caught.

Either give Ash a Thwackey or a Rillaboom at this point, if they wanna give him a starter. Or none at all.
It’s Ok With Me If They Give Him Thwackey.

people saying Grookey would be wasted under Goh. It's a starter. It will get as much attention as Cinderace and Sobble
Well, to be fair to those people, there have been instances where a starter/highly popular Pokemon ends up wasted by going to a traveling companion. The most notable examples being Brock's Mudkip, who didn't even have so much as a noticeable personality; and Lana's Eevee/Sandy, whom I even remember people making extremely similar "it's not like the writers are gonna waste the secondary mascot" arguments and we all know how that turned out. Clemont's Chespin is a more downplayed example, as he did have a lot of appearances, but most were strictly relegated to comic relief, and since most fans typically watch to see their favorite Pokemon battle this isn't going to be satisfactory. It gets to the point that it isn't even that hard to find people arguing that any, if not all of these three Pokemon would have been better off caught by Ash (since he'd be guaranteed to at least use them in an onscreen battle) than by the people they ended up going to.

So yeah, while I agree that it's unlikely that Grookey will be wasted by going to Goh instead of Ash, we do have some unfortunate precedents of such wasting happening, so it's not like those fears are completely unfounded.

Ash
Will Evolve Into Rillaboom And Become An Ass Kicking Machine
Ash Will Need A Pokemon To Develop After Farfetch'd And Grookey Will Do. Ash Can Train It Outside PWC.
Will Give Ash A Starter.
Grookey Will Be Wasted With Goh As Proven By Sobble.

Most of your points seem to be based on a bias against Goh and his Pokemon. Many of your points for Ash apply to Goh as well and there are various other benefits to Goh getting Grookey.

Nothing stops Grookey from becoming an ass kicking machine like Cinderace under Goh.
Goh will need a Pokemon to develop when Sobble evolves, and that can be Grookey.
Goh can train it outside of the PWC as he is the one participating in most of the non battle competitions, so we could see a music based one.
Not giving Ash a starter means he has more team slots that aren't effectively reserved, meaning more potential team diversity.
Sobble has gotten more screentime than some of Ash's Pokemon and the PV shows upcoming development. So that is hardly proof to justify that Grookey will be wasted.
Sobble has also been shown to have a strong relationship with Cinderace. Giving Goh Grookey would be an opportunity to expand that dynamic to all of the gen 8 starters.
Grookey would also likely be another staple on Goh's team that the writers would have to develop, which could lead to Goh doing more outside of instant captures, which are most people's main issue with him.

[INSERT EVERY TREND JN HAS BROKEN HERE]
Ash Catching A Starter First Season
Ash Not Catching Fully Evolved Pokemon
Ash Not Catching Babies (Phanpy and Noibat Don't Count)
Having A Female Companion
Companions Only catching 1 Starter At Most
Traveling 1 Reigon
Ash Having A Fire Type
I Know There Is More But I'm Lazy
Also People Keep Arguing About Grookey Cuz It's Late. It's Not Late For Toxtiricity
Naganadel learnt thunderbolt
Meltan Learned Thunderbolt Earlier

They might be concerned that they would steal Pikachu's thunder (pun intended).
That’s specifically why I included Naganadel learning thunderbolt. They made it into a really prominent plot device which somehow didn’t steal Pikachu's thunder.

There are millions of reasons for all of the trends followed so far and all of them broke. I don’t consider "Ash will never get an electric type" exempt from that. They literally broke one of the electric trends in Sun/Moon which is one step closer to giving Ash an actual electric Pokémon.

I have mentioned this one before some time ago, but I believe that the REAL reason they don't wanna give Ash any other electric mon is that they are scared that is gonna overshadow Pikachu.

Cuz like,,, even in a in-universe stand point, okay, it's not really that great to have repeated types in your team, but that was never really a problem for Ash, heck, even his Sinnoh team had 3 (!) ground-types. It's not impossible for him to get another one, right?

The thing is: if they give him a ''better, stronger and/or more loved by the public'' electric mon, like Luxray, Manetric, Ampharos, Toxtricity, then Pikachu WILL get ignored. And they sure as HELL don't want that. They want him front and center in the public eye at all times.

And even if they DO give him one that is just as strong or even weaker then Pikachu, then,,, what's the point?

Is it impossible? No.
Is it a great time to do so, given the concept of the series? Yeah.
Do I think they will do it? No.

Back
Top Bottom