• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

Considering Roy loves Fuecoco's singing, what do you all think about Roy getting a themed Pokemon team based around music. So he gets a singer, a dancer and a musician. I think this isn't to farfetch'd, so they might give Roy one if not both of the Toxtricity forms, a dancing Pokemon (Quaxly line), a member of the Whismur line and a member of the Igglybuf line (Most likely Jigglypuff).

Considering Roy loves Fuecoco's singing, what do you all think about Roy getting a themed Pokemon team based around music. So he gets a singer, a dancer and a musician. I think this isn't to farfetch'd, so they might give Roy one if not both of the Toxtricity forms, a dancing Pokemon (Quaxly line), a member of the Whismur line and a member of the Igglybuf line (Most likely Jigglypuff).
An interesting theory. Who knows, you might be onto something!

Judging by the attention split between Sprigatito/Fuecoco and Quaxly, I wouldn't be surprised if Sprigatito & Fuecoco fully evolve while Quaxly stays unevolved.

I just want Quaxly to get the attention it deserves because it is the best Paldea starter, IMO.
Quaxly is the extremely hated by the masses, which makes me sad because I love it, and is reduced to being a comedy relief starter. It's definitely not evolving.

I feel Liko's Sprigatito will eventually become a Meowscarada to tie in with her own growth as a character, and to help separate her from Ash. Roy's Fuecoco is quite on the edge, as Fuecoco itself is more popular than Skeledirge in Japan. Think of it as a Rowlet vs Decidueye situation.

If Dot ends up being more than just a supporting character, I could actually see Quaxly evolving.

I could see Quaxly evolving into Quaquaval representing her coming out of her reclusive lifestyle and shedding her costume to embrace her true self without shame. Quaquaval is very extravagant and draws a lot of attention with its dancing.

Though, I still think if any of them stay unevolved, Quaxly makes the most sense, all things considered.

Curious to see what Pokemon Liko and Roy will catch in Paldea, wonder if Roy being from Kanto will catch a Mankey that will fully evolve
Although due to the world traveling format I'm not expecting them to stick solely to Paldean Pokémon. As per tradition, I believe that Liko will get an Eevee.

Although due to the world traveling format I'm not expecting them to stick solely to Paldean Pokémon. As per tradition, I believe that Liko will get an Eevee.
I would hope that they don't have too many Pokemon outside of Paldea though. Yeah, it's a world tour series, but given that they have other characters traveling with them, they could simply have the rest of the crew getting older Pokemon while the new leads have new Pokemon instead.

Unless they're willing to evolve Eevee, something that they probably won't want to do until we get a new Eeveeultion, I really hope that Liko doesn't get an Eevee. I honestly didn't mind getting an Eevee in the cast three times in a row for the most part, but I think four would be really pushing it too far and arguably they were already doing that with Chloe and Eevee in Journeys too.

I think Liko catching a Charcadet that eventually evolves into an Armarouge is pretty likely, mirroring Amethio and his Ceruledge. I could see her capturing a Finizen that evolves into Palafin, assuming they can implement its ability properly into the anime. Zero-to-Hero sort of goes along with Liko feeling like she has been pushed into the protagonist role.

I hope Roy ends up capturing the Pawmi onboard the ship and evolves it into a spunky, ready-to-brawl Pawmot. I also have a feeling he will capture a Cetitan down the road.

Other general captures I could see happening are Fidough, Wattrel, Paldean Wooper, and Cyclizar; They all seem pretty marketable. I wouldn't mind seeing Annihilape go to one of them as a callback to Ash's Primeape. They piss off a wild Primeape so much that it evolves into Annihilape, barely manage to capture it, only for it to be disobedient and a loose canon. I don't think we'd need to see them catch it as a Mankey and work its way up to Annihilape, tbh. Rather just get into what everyone wants to see if they do go down that route.

I don't think Liko and Roy will be capturing a ton of Pokemon, tbh. I get the feeling they'll have three or four maximum at any given time, assuming they don't release/leave any of them for training.

I have a feeling that Liko and Roy will bond with Miraidon and Koraidon respectively, but never officially own them like the player in the games and they'll eventually part ways. I could see them doing the Area Zero plotline around the midpoint of the series before doing their original Pendant/Explorers/Rayquaza climax for the end of the show.

We already have past-generation Pokemon onboard the ship, so I don't think we need to be capturing any more of them.

Last edited:
I would hope that they don't have too many Pokemon outside of Paldea though. Yeah, it's a world tour series, but given that they have other characters traveling with them, they could simply have the rest of the crew getting older Pokemon while the new leads have new Pokemon instead.

Unless they're willing to evolve Eevee, something that they probably won't want to do until we get a new Eeveeultion, I really hope that Liko doesn't get an Eevee. I honestly didn't mind getting an Eevee in the cast three times in a row for the most part, but I think four would be really pushing it too far and arguably they were already doing that with Chloe and Eevee in Journeys too.
I'm scared that Eevee's secondary mascot status will cause it to forever be shoehorned into the main cast like Pikachu and Charizard are, even if we're likely never getting another Eeveelution. Heck, watch as it continues the trend from Lana and Chloe by staying unevolved on top of that.

The fact it's another multi-generation series like Journeys further pushes my hypothesis. The writers will again have complete freedom in terms of Pokemon from whatever generation that they will have the main characters catch, so don't expect only Gen 9 Pokemon. Ash only caught two Gen 8 Pokemon in his entire run, because most of his final team had to make way for a franchise "mascot" and some nostalgic icons from Kanto that fans had always wanted him to have.

Because Eeveelutions have specific reasons for being introduced, not just because.
The og 3 showcased stone evolutions
Umbreon and Espeon showcased day/night evolutions
Leafeon and Glaceon showcased environment evolutions
Sylveon showcased the brand new type

I suppose so, but I personally don't think they need to be so intrinsically connected to promoting a new feature that new Eeveelutions simply can't exist without being promotional tools.

I just think it is a missed opportunity when there is so much potential just sitting there that they seem completely uninterested in taking advantage of. Especially when they have made Eevee into a secondary mascot in recent years.

Last edited:
I'm scared that Eevee's secondary mascot status will cause it to forever be shoehorned into the main cast like Pikachu and Charizard are, even if we're likely never getting another Eeveelution. Heck, watch as it continues the trend from Lana and Chloe by staying unevolved on top of that.
There is sadly a good possibility of that happening. I don't really mind having a Pikachu in the cast. It is the mascot of the franchise, so of course it's going to be featured in the anime. At least it isn't associated with the new leads since that could have made the change feel more moot or pointless. Charizard, for better or for worse, is probably the most popular starter at this point, so having one around is also kind of understandable from a marketing perspective. Keeping Eevee unevolved would be kind of boring at this point, but if they could at least give it something more to do than Sandy or Chloe's Eevee, it might be fine.

The fact it's another multi-generation series like Journeys further pushes my hypothesis. The writers will again have complete freedom in terms of Pokemon from whatever generation that they will have the main characters catch, so don't expect only Gen 9 Pokemon. Ash only caught two Gen 8 Pokemon in his entire run, because most of his final team had to make way for a franchise "mascot" and some nostalgic icons from Kanto that fans had always wanted him to have.
While it is another world tour series, I don't know if it really makes sense to compare it with Ash's Journeys team. It feels like a bit of an apple and orange kind of comparison. Unlike in Journeys, Liko and Roy are traveling with other characters who could potentially be used to showcase older Pokemon. They already have that with Friede showcasing both Pikachu and Charizard instead of giving one of the new leads their own Pikachu or Charmander instead. At the very least, I hope that there is a balance between old and new Pokemon on Liko and Roy's teams, something that really should have been done for Ash's Journeys team too. Granted, I don't know how many Pokemon they'll have Liko and Roy capture. A lot of it depends on what their goals are, but I'm not sure how likely it is that they'll have full teams at the moment.

I also really don't remember people wanting Ash to capture a Dragonite. People definitely wanted him to get a Gengar, but mostly due to how he gave away Haunter back in the original series. Fans really wanted him to get a Riolu too, but aside from that, it didn't really feel like his Journeys team was designed to give him Pokemon that fans always wanted him to have.

I honestly don't like the idea of anyone catching an Eevee and its sadly likely since the last 3 series have all featured an Eevee on the main cast. Unfortunately its become more of an obligation due to the secondary mascot status, which I think is more of a curse than a blessing. Serena's Eevee was great since she was used regularly for her Pokemon Showcases and even gave them the chance to show off the newest Eeveelution. Sandy served little to no purpose at the end of the day and Chloe's Eevee really amounted to nothing more than a plot to show off all Eeveelutions with no payoff. Its become tiresome having Eevees on the main cast and seeing them do nothing.

I genuinely don't understand why they suddenly seem so against adding a new one. I honestly expected one in Gen VIII since the trend was even generations, but it never happened. Its one of the most marketable groups of Pokemon, so why not give it a new member of the family? Fans love the Eeveelutions and want to see more.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why Game Freak doesn't just make an Eeveelution for every type. They should introduce one or two a generation, IMO. The Evolution Pokemon deserves an evolution of every type.

It has been almost 10 whole years since the last Eeveelution.

I feel like there isn't any need for an Eeveelution for every type. The only types i would see added are Ground and Steel/Poison, since Jolteon and Sylveon are the only Eeveelutions without a weakness and Ground and Poison/Steel would give them those weaknesses.

There is also the thing that Eevee now services as the secondary mascot for the franchise, alongisde Pikachu and too a lesser extent Meowth, so i feel like Eevee has become to popular for its own good in Gamefreaks eyes to warrant a new Eeveelution for it, which will overshadow it in the gen its released in. We can see this because Eevee has gotten its own Z-move and Gigaform, just like Pikachu has gotten its own Z-move and Gigaform.

Honestly, I kind of hope that we'll still get an Eeevelution for every type. You have a Pokemon that can evolve into eight different Pokemon. Granted, giving Eevee eighteen possible evolution might be too much, but at the same time, pretty much all of the Eeveelutions are popular and marketable in their own right. Even before it became a secondary mascot, Eevee was popular primarily because it could evolve into so many different Pokemon. I did kind of expect that Chloe's Eevee being not sure of what to evolve into meant that it would lead into a new Eeveelution, but once they didn't feature any new Eeveelutions during the pre-release of Scarlet/Violet, I figured that it wasn't going to happen. I don't think that they would have saved a new Eeveelution until the games inevitably leaked.

Maybe we'll get something in the next generation. Despite Eevee's secondary mascot status, I don't think that it's that unlikely for them to give it another Eeveelution. If someone does get an Eevee in this series, then it will probably be unevolved.

I did kind of expect that Chloe's Eevee being not sure of what to evolve into meant that it would lead into a new Eeveelution, but once they didn't feature any new Eeveelutions during the pre-release of Scarlet/Violet, I figured that it wasn't going to happen.
It genuinely felt like a setup to introduce a new Eeveelution. I mean you have this Eevee that supposedly can't evolve or is merely able to supress evolution strong enough to resist evolutionary stones. Its a pretty interesting mystery. They go through all the Eeveelutions and keep up this whole what will Eevee decide to evolve into mystery, only for it to amount to nothing. Not even a Gigantamax Eevee. The whole thing doesn't even get explained. It just stays an Eevee and the big conclusion to Chloe's arc is to tell us there's so many possibilities. I think this is what frustrated me the most about Chloe's arc and why I'm frustrated with Eevee's on the main cast after her Eevee and Sandy did virtually nothing noteworthy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom