• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Horizons General Discussion/Speculation Thread

I know it’s too late now but another studio should have done the animation. I think either Kyoto Animation or WIT Studio would do a better job animating Pokemon than OLM does now. I guess TV Tokyo doesn’t want another studio to produce Pokemon. I heard a rumor OLM was nearly on the verge of bankruptcy towards the end of Journeys but I feel TV Tokyo bailed them out because they don’t trust another studio to produce Pokemon.

I know it’s too late now but another studio should have done the animation. I think either Kyoto Animation or WIT Studio would do a better job animating Pokemon than OLM does now. I guess TV Tokyo doesn’t want another studio to produce Pokemon. I heard a rumor OLM was nearly on the verge of bankruptcy towards the end of Journeys but I feel TV Tokyo bailed them out because they don’t trust another studio to produce Pokemon.
I'd take that rumor with a grain of salt. Despite all of the recaps and breaks during the Master Class tournament, I think OLM being that close to bankruptcy would have been in the headlines instead of some kind of secret. Considering that we've had other studios animate other Pokemon series, I'm not sure if I could believe the notion that TV Tokyo wouldn't trust any other studio to animate Pokemon. That's a bit too far into conspiracy territory for me to really believe.

I'd take that rumor with a grain of salt. Despite all of the recaps and breaks during the Master Class tournament, I think OLM being that close to bankruptcy would have been in the headlines instead of some kind of secret. Considering that we've had other studios animate other Pokemon series, I'm not sure if I could believe the notion that TV Tokyo wouldn't trust any other studio to animate Pokemon. That's a bit too far into conspiracy territory for me to really believe.
But around the time the Masters 8 was reaching its climax, a staff member leaked that the anime was in major trouble.

This fueled speculation another studio might take over production. I think I also saw Komi-san Can’t Communicate nearly put OLM out of business. Komi Can’t communicate was difficult to animate it seemed plus the ratings weren’t as good as OLM hoped. I think TV Tokyo had to bail out OLM because TV Tokyo views Pokemon as "Too Big To Fail".

But around the time the Masters 8 was reaching its climax, a staff member leaked that the anime was in major trouble.

This fueled speculation another studio might take over production. I think I also saw Komi-san Can’t Communicate nearly put OLM out of business. Komi Can’t communicate was difficult to animate it seemed plus the ratings weren’t as good as OLM hoped. I think TV Tokyo had to bail out OLM because TV Tokyo views Pokemon as "Too Big To Fail".
I remember that leak from a staff member, but I think using that to claim that OLM was nearly in bankruptcy and were only saved due to TV Tokyo's involvement is still too much into conspiracy theory territory for me to find believable. An animation studio, especially one handling the animation for a huge series like Pokemon, almost going out of business still would have made it into animation news, not be some hidden secret that TV Tokyo wanted to prevent because they don't trust any other studio to handle Pokemon.

I remember that leak from a staff member, but I think using that to claim that OLM was nearly in bankruptcy and were only saved due to TV Tokyo's involvement is still too much into conspiracy theory territory for me to find believable. An animation studio, especially one handling the animation for a huge series like Pokemon, almost going out of business still would have made it into animation news, not be some hidden secret that TV Tokyo wanted to prevent because they don't trust any other studio to handle Pokemon.
But to be honest I think TV Tokyo cannot afford to lose Pokemon. Sure they are other anime it airs but I feel if Pokemon was cancelled that would be a huge hit for revenue.

But to be honest I think TV Tokyo cannot afford to lose Pokemon. Sure they are other anime it airs but I feel if Pokemon was cancelled that would be a huge hit for revenue.
I don't think that OLM going under would have necessarily meant that the anime would be cancelled. I think that TPCI would still want the anime to continue and it wouldn't be that difficult to find another studio to do it.

I don't think that OLM going under would have necessarily meant that the anime would be cancelled. I think that TPCI would still want the anime to continue and it wouldn't be that difficult to find another studio to do it.
I wish they would, the animation quality of the Pokémon anime in the last 4 years in particular has been abysmal if you ask me.

I wish they would, the animation quality of the Pokémon anime in the last 4 years in particular has been abysmal if you ask me.
I feel the anime should be done by either Kyoto Animation or WIT Studio. However I don’t think KyoAni might be able to produce something as big as Pokemon. WIT Studio’s advantage is it’s owned by Production IG so they have a huge staff that can help out.

IDK it feels on par with what its always been to me (Comparing similar scenes of course, theres an obvious difference between like, 2 characters talking and the climatic final battle of the series).

Wouldn't changing companies also change writers, and voice actors, and everything else? Or does OLM not do that part? I do not know myself. If so I'd prefer if they... didn't do that.

Wouldn't changing companies also change writers, and voice actors, and everything else? Or does OLM not do that part?
It would probably just be a change in animation studio and thus animators similar to what Yu-Gi-Oh went through once Konami dropped Gallop for Studio Bridge with SEVENS onwards.

With the news of a new game coming next year called Pokémon Legends: Z-A‎‎, I'm curious to see if Horizons might involve something from the game

When I read your post I thought, they confirmed "Pokemon Legends Johto", which will focus on Ruins of Alph and the Pokémon alphabet, that is, the Unown.

So, I went to watch the video and realized that the game will take place in Kalos, Lumiose City. WTF, did they forget about the 2nd and 5th generation?

On the other hand, it looks like we'll finally have Pokémon (XY) Z, lol.

Last edited:
I'm not going to expect anything more than one of the arcs having a climax in Kalos or something.
They'll defenintly visit the reigon around the time of game release though.

I'm sure that we'll at least get some episodes set in Kalos. I would hope that it gets more than just a two parter like the Arceus Chronicles. I finally watched it the other day and it barely had any Legends Arceus promotion. I knew that before, but it was still a shame. The special was trying to be a bit of Legends Arceus promotion, a bit of BD/SP promotion with featuring Team Galactic, a DP trio reunion and kind of continuation of the Team Galactic climax from DP. It was trying cram in so much in just two episodes. If Horizons tries to promote Legends Z-A, it probably won't have that issue exactly, but doing more than showcasing the starters, the catching method and any potential new Kalos forms for five minutes would be nice.

Maybe we'll see the return of Clemont, Bonnie, Serena and Greninja...

Oh, wait...

DID THEY KNEW??:lapras:
1709053670583.png

I've gotta admit I was hella surprised by the announcement of Pokémon Legends: Z-A so it's good to see them getting another crack at Kalos and I'm excited to see what sort of plans they'll have for the game.

Anime wise Liko and pals are definitely going to be making their way there soon enough. Considering they seem to be ignoring characters from the prior era, I wonder if this means that we'll see another character from the games making their anime debut in a similar fashion to Kabu in Galar.

If A-Z gets anything plot wise, then maybe he could finally emerge from the 3DS shadows.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom