• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Journeys: Thoughts So Far

I also thought it fitted well with the Series' Pacing (60 Episodes for 50% of Pokemon to appear, so say another 60-70 for the rest of them too and then finally 10-20 more Episodes focusing on the Master Class & the End of the Series + Farewell, Adds up to 145-150 Episodes).

We've had these "idiot plots" throughout the entirety of the anime lmao.

The only difference is that now they do them in half of an episode instead of a full one.
Honestly, even with the worst of fillers, I wouldn’t say we’ve had anything like these 2-in-1 episodes in the entirety of the anime. Really the only one that felt like something that could have been an episode in the past was the Magikarp contest. Every one since that have basically felt like them just doing an overly long bit in which Pokémon is supplanted by Yo-Kai Watch, complete with the characters’ IQ dropping off about 30 points.

I mean, to his credit, between Go’s goal and the Gatchet, it does seem that the writers’ goal is to have all the Pokémon appear. Can’t really say that they care all that much about featuring them though considering that most of the Pokémon they have Go capture are only shown for a single s end before being essentially cast into limbo maybe appearing as a set piece occasionally at Sakuragi Park.
Yeah that’s probably one of their many goals, which is cool. But that doesn’t really discredit any of the points I made. Once all of the Pokémon have appeared, then what? The series is forced to an abrupt end? It’s not really any kind of indicator as to the length of the series.

Looking back at another episode of Diamond and Pearl and it shows you that DP truly handles the dual protagonist much better. The episode I'm looking at is mostly Dawn focused, which is DP67. The major focus is Dawn having a gym battle against Maylene, though while it didn't get most of the focus, Ash is still getting to do something, which was training with Staravia to learn Brave Bird.

Looking back at another episode of Diamond and Pearl and it shows you that DP truly handles the dual protagonist much better. The episode I'm looking at is mostly Dawn focused, which is DP67. The major focus is Dawn having a gym battle against Maylene, though while it didn't get most of the focus, Ash is still getting to do something, which was training with Staravia to learn Brave Bird.
Same applies to the Aeroactyl ep. Dawn teaches Ash spin dodge. She does something.

Same applies to the Aeroactyl ep. Dawn teaches Ash spin dodge. She does something.
Hell, between the spin dodge, counter shield and Ice Aqua Jet, you can even see a natural feeling of Ash and Dawn being treated as equals as Ash picks up tricks from Dawn that help him during his Sinnoh journey.

Hell, between the spin dodge, counter shield and Ice Aqua Jet, you can even see a natural feeling of Ash and Dawn being treated as equals as Ash picks up tricks from Dawn that help him during his Sinnoh journey.
Goh certainly has a lot to gain from Ash, and one of the big things being learning to have some empathy for others. Though Ash doesn't learn from Goh like he did from Dawn. Unfortunately I can't really think of much he could even learn from Goh. Also, during Ash focused episodes, Goh still gets to make some pointless capture, though when the focus is on Goh, Ash is often on the sidelines. This is unlike DP where Ash still got to do some kind of training or something with his Pokemon even when he's not the focus.

Goh certainly has a lot to gain from Ash, and one of the big things being learning to have some empathy for others. Though Ash doesn't learn from Goh like he did from Dawn. Unfortunately I can't really think of much he could even learn from Goh. Also, during Ash focused episodes, Goh still gets to make some pointless capture, though when the focus is on Goh, Ash is often on the sidelines, unlike in DP when he's still getting to do some kind of training or something with his Pokemon when he's not the focus.
The only Ash focused episodes where Goh doesn't gain a new dex entery are JN012, JN016, JN027 and JN030.

Speaking of Hikari, and how she was the true Co-Protagonist.....
Satoshi and Gou performed the 'signature' High-Touch in yesterday's episode....
Are the staff really pushing their farse by emulating?

Last edited:
This really highlights one of the fundamental issues with Satoshi’s character in this series. Actually, it’s not that there is nothing to learn from Go, who is focused, detail-oriented and sensitive - areas where Satoshi could grow. Instead, he is just like ‘ah so we’re different let’s move on!’

It’s frustrating because we’ve seen Satoshi learn from all kinds of encounters - rookies, CotDs, rivals, friends, seniors. Look how much he respected and paid attention to his classmates in Alola for example even when some of their expertise was dubious in its nature/relevance to him. I find it deeply uncharacteristic that he is not as changed by his relationship with Go as Go is.

I think that's because they have generic interactions and their relationship is not well-written.
Sometimes the series gives out the feeling that their growth makes them very detached from one another.

Besides, those aspects were already tackled by other characters, and Satoshi has processed them.

This really highlights one of the fundamental issues with Satoshi’s character in this series. Actually, it’s not that there is nothing to learn from Go, who is focused, detail-oriented and sensitive - areas where Satoshi could grow. Instead, he is just like ‘ah so we’re different let’s move on!’

It’s frustrating because we’ve seen Satoshi learn from all kinds of encounters - rookies, CotDs, rivals, friends, seniors. Look how much he respected and paid attention to his classmates in Alola for example even when some of their expertise was dubious in its nature/relevance to him. I find it deeply uncharacteristic that he is not as changed by his relationship with Go as Go is.
I’d say that all falls in line with the prospect that the writers have hit such a level of creativity bankruptcy that they don’t even do much as try to have Ash learn in return. After all, doing such would mean developing Ash, something that you can surmise from their interviews stating they don’t know how to further develop Ash that they won’t even attempt to because stagnating someone’s character is much easier.

Don't wanna sound like a boomer, but my guys, DP was truly the peak of this anime imo.
If that's boomer I must be silent generation 'cause I think it all went downhill after AG. :p
(Honestly sometimes I sort of feel like some sort of holdout fossil from the original era of fans because I still hold a numberof the increasingly minority "old era" opinions).

I’d say that all falls in line with the prospect that the writers have hit such a level of creativity bankruptcy that they don’t even do much as try to have Ash learn in return. After all, doing such would mean developing Ash, something that you can surmise from their interviews stating they don’t know how to further develop Ash that they won’t even attempt to because stagnating someone’s character is much easier.
That's maybe a bit stronger in terms than I'd put it, but yeah. That interview pretty much zeroed my interest in the current series, sadly.

Don't wanna sound like a boomer, but my guys, DP was truly the peak of this anime imo.
I still think DP has had some of the worst episode this anime has ever had, I'd say even worse than the worst of Pokémon (2019). It really peaks in its last year, but god, early DP had me rolling my eyes further than any other anime of any other franchise ever did. I even saw my brain. It was wild.

All jokes aside, if rewatching DP has done anything for me in regards to this series is giving me hope after realizing how much a show can improve throughout its run.

I still think DP has had some of the worst episode this anime has ever had, I'd say even worse than the worst of Pokémon (2019). It really peaks in its last year, but god, early DP had me rolling my eyes further than any other anime of any other franchise ever did. I even saw my brain. It was wild.

All jokes aside, if rewatching DP has done anything for me in regards to this series is giving me hope after realizing how much a show can improve throughout its run.
I agree. The first year/season was a snore. Like, I get that they were ''building a foundation'' for the next years of the series, but I never felt like the plot was really going forward. But I do think a big difference about the first year of DP and the first year of JN, is that JN didn't really laid down any roots tbh.

I don't remember DP's first year being that bad at all. I can understand how it was moving slow, especially when it was airing weekly, and it was mostly laying down the foundation for the rest of the series to build upon, but it was still pretty good and I don't think it had that many filler episodes. Granted, I've always thought that the complaint about DP having too much filler episodes in general never made much sense to me anyway, but I don't remember it being that bad during the first year in particular and I'm close to finishing my DP rewatch too.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom