• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Magicians

One more thing! Did Lily have a British accent by any chance? I swear I remember they used a British accent on her. And her hair's red!

Yeah, she did.

Yeah, we need more transformations in the series. If they can whore out Giant Pokemon, why can't they whore out transformations?

Jnoo said:
Yeah, she did.

Maybe Lisa, that's why I'm saying it was an HP reference. Not just the name, but the way she looked, talked, and acted. At least they didn't go into it as far as her real character.

If they can whore out Giant Pokemon, why can't they whore out transformations?

Hah. Agree with you completely.

I wonder... If there were magicians of the kind that control elements, would they have fire-water-grass atributes? probably, as those would be the elements they would manipualte... Maybe a highly skilled one could even make a move like Flamethrower or Ice Beam.

That sort of sounds like the guy in episode 40.

Eh, that's only due to the limitations of the English language, and it's lack of a specific term to describe stage magicians. Lily and Whatsherface shouldn't really be described wit hthe same term, since their professions are two completely different things. In retrospect, it would've been wiser to call Lily a sorceress, but of course they had no idea an actual stage magician would show up in the series 6 years later at the time.

you could blame it on both the English language and a mis-usage of Engrish on the Japanese writers' part (both Lily and Shizue are referred to as being a "Pokemon Magician" in the Japanese version). As you said, the term "magician" nowadays just refers to those stage performers whilst "wizard" and "sorcerer" seem more appropriate for the old fashion stuff... though, they should've just referred to Lily as an alchemist (either the English term or "renkinjutsushi") and be done with it.

Don't worry, I'm not like Scott when it comes to bad-mouthing Johto. I did like some episodes, absolutely LOVED the opening of Johto Journeys, but you probably knew that, and I won't go into it.

yeah, Jouto had some surprisingly good openings, on both sides of the world... though, I found the English 5th opening (Master Quest) pretty iffy and a little too reminiscent of its predecessor (at least the 4th opening, in both versions, was intended to be a tribute to the first one).

I'm interested in Butler because he was also a scientist, and that's a very awesome combination.

A scientist who takes up a role as a stage magician, and whose name happens to be "Butler"... yeah, that's some crazy shit right there. XD

both Lily and Shizue are referred to as being a "Pokemon Magician" in the Japanese version

Oh.

Maybe I should've actually have seen said episode in Japanese instead of just assuming what it said. Damn >_<

If there are magicians, there may even be warlocks.

If this is true, we might even be able to include liches into the Pokemon world, an absolutely terrifying thought.

Would those liches have anything whatsoever to do with ghost pokemon?

And I'm thinking that actually, the writers may actually choose to revisit the whole "Pokemon Magic" theory, considering the new concept of "Pokemon Aura".
Who's to say that they have nothing to do with each other?

OMG, you're right! =D

So there's a very good chance that the writers may bring up the idea of Pokemon Magic again! Yay! ^_^

And by the way, what are liches? I've never heard of them before, nor do I know how to pronounce that word. ^^;

Fron the information I have, a lich is literally a zombie that feeds on ther souls of the living, in hops of bringing themselves back to life. And, which I assume was said before, aura is simply a dub translation of hadou, which is some form of energy all humans seem to have. It could be manipulated into different forces, such as the Hadouken/Wave Fist, and many others. It is also said that aura could be used for everyday purposes, such as being manipulated into muscle mass. I even made a comic based on its principles. So... I can't really see how aura would tie into magic at all. ;^^

Kimba, you said it yourself.
A form of manipulable energy- how is that NOT magic?
All I'm saying is that maybe there's a connection, of course I don't think that we'll see Pokemon magic the same way again.

A lich is an undead sorcerer who used unnatural or magical means to extend his life, or otherwise make himself immortal and very powerful. This is done by putting the base of his soul in a magical object of some kind, known as the Lich's Phylactery. While the phylactery is intact, the lich is, for all intents and purposes, immortal. Should the phylactery be destroyed, the lich will die. While their spirits are intact, their bodies are not, and will continue to age and decay. The result is that powerful liches are often skeletal in appearance. As a form of intimidation, some liches prefer the skeletal look.

A perfect example of a powerful lich is Sauron of Lord of the Rings. His phylactery is the One Ring, and while it remains, so would he remain and would each time recover from "death", which he did at least twice in the Tolkien lore.

In Warcraft lore, Liches are essentially the same, but their wills are tied to the spectral Lich King. As his title implies, he is also a lich, the phylactery being his crown.

Kimba, you said it yourself.
A form of manipulable energy- how is that NOT magic?
All I'm saying is that maybe there's a connection, of course I don't think that we'll see Pokemon magic the same way again.

Mm... I see what you're saying. But for me, martial arts =/= magic.

As well, where would you put something like alchemy around in Pokémon? In my opinion, it would add a good change of pace for the episode, at least.

Not to mention a ton of fans. :p
I honestly don't know though. How would it be made to fit in with the sciences and magics already presented?
Although that could, potentially, be related to the Aura thing.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom