• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Satoshi will get Scorbunny
The girl protagonist will get Sobble
A third character will get Grookey
If Gen 4 is getting a remake next year (there have been minor hints to such since Gen 7), then they would probably go down the direction of Ash, the Female Trainer and Gym Leader of the Galar Region.

Advance:
Ash - Treeko
May - Torchic
Brock - Mudkip

XY:
Ash - Froakie
Serena - Fennekin
Clemont - Chespin

The Female Trainers all had Fire Types in this pattern, whilst Ash and Gym Leader had one of the Starters. Notice the type swap in XY compared with Advance. Max and Bonnie are also similar in patter, not least because of the remake of Gen 3 ORAS with X and Y.

Diamond and Pearl:
Ash: Turtwig, Chimchar
Dawn: Piplup

Sword and Shield:
Ash: Scorbunny, Sobble
Female Trainer: Grookey

This would probably be the most likely scenario of where the next series will go. And yes, Sun and Moon did share the same typings and Pokemon between Ash and Lana, only Lana is a student and one of the Trial Captains, not a Female Companion. This is just guesswork at the moment and as of yet not set in stone. But from all the adventures thus far, no Female Companion has yet gotten a Grass Type starter, nor Ash firstly a Fire Type Starter.

I think you are overthinkig previous patterns. They are just going to distribute the starters however they deem most "fitting" (reed marketable). I personally hope we get the female PC with sobble because they look really good together, but could see Ash getting it depending on how the evolutions turn out, which we of course don't know yet.

Exactly the point. Sobble does have a Chimchar feel and abuse to it if owned by a rival trainer that’s similar to Paul.

This is literally the first time I’m seeing someone describe Sobble having a ‘Chimchar feel’.

I think you’re overthinking it with listing out the patterns again and again.Not everything is a giant plan/pattern. We’ve seen time and time again that Pokemon will not hesitate to change up things.

This is literally the first time I’m seeing someone describe Sobble having a ‘Chimchar feel’.

I think you’re overthinking it with listing out the patterns again and again.Not everything is a giant plan/pattern. We’ve seen time and time again that Pokemon will not hesitate to change up things.
Yeah. He's trying to make it seem like the Galar anime will be just like DP when I think that it won't be the case.

I just don’t see the point in repeating strings of patterns again and again, because there isn’t enough to establish a pattern to begin with.
And the ‘trends’ have been posted again and again to such a degree that they don’t need to be posted again.

I personally think Ash could end up with Scorbunny and Sobble, but that’s irrespective of any so called ‘patterns’.

And yes, Sun and Moon did share the same typings and Pokemon between Ash and Lana, only Lana is a student and one of the Trial Captains, not a Female Companion.

I really have a hard time understanding what you mean by this. Are you saying that SM Ash's current team shares Pokémon and Pokémon types with Lana's? 'cause that's not true. Besides Pikachu (an Electric type), Ash currently has a Rowlet (Grass/Flying), a Lycanroc (Rock), a Torracat (Fire) and a Meltan (Steel), while Lana has a Brionne (Water) and an Eevee (Normal). As you can see, their teams don't have anything in common (both type and Pokémon wise). So is that what you meant or did I misunderstand what you said?

Also, I have no idea where you got the idea that, because Lana is a student, then she doesn't count as one of Ash's female companions. It's true that Ash no longer has travelling companions in Sun & Moon, since he goes to the Pokémon School, but he still has his classmates, which fill the same role as that of his usual groups of friends and are even seen as the equivalent of companions (which they pretty much are).

Double also, there is no such thing as Trial Captains in the anime. While Lana is a Trial Captain in the games, she's just a regular trainer in the anime. And even if she was one in the anime, that wouldn't automatically confirm that she's not one of Ash's female companions, since he's traveled with Misty, a girl who is a Gym Leader (a trainer class which is the equivalent of Alola's Trial Captain).

Distributing the three starters between Ash and (sometimes) his companions makes sense because other characters, are well, recurring at best. The reason Ash got all three starters in Kanto was that no kid would feel left out. Granted, the starters are never equal, but the screentime is pretty balanced.

I really have a hard time understanding what you mean by this. Are you saying that SM Ash's current team shares Pokémon and Pokémon types with Lana's? 'cause that's not true. Besides Pikachu (an Electric type), Ash currently has a Rowlet (Grass/Flying), a Lycanroc (Rock), a Torracat (Fire) and a Meltan (Steel), while Lana has a Brionne (Water) and an Eevee (Normal). As you can see, their teams don't have anything in common (both type and Pokémon wise). So is that what you meant or did I misunderstand what you said?

Also, I have no idea where you got the idea that, because Lana is a student, then she doesn't count as one of Ash's female companions. It's true that Ash no longer has travelling companions in Sun & Moon, since he goes to the Pokémon School, but he still has his classmates, which fill the same role as that of his usual groups of friends and are even seen as the equivalent of companions (which they pretty much are).

Double also, there is no such thing as Trial Captains in the anime. While Lana is a Trial Captain in the games, she's just a regular trainer in the anime. And even if she was one in the anime, that wouldn't automatically confirm that she's not one of Ash's female companions, since he's traveled with Misty, a girl who is a Gym Leader (a trainer class which is the equivalent of Alola's Trial Captain).

Ash: Turtwig, Chimchar
Dawn: Piplup

Ash: Rowlet, Litten
Lana: Popleo

That's what I'm actually meaning here

Actually when it comes to starters I think it will continue the pattern 1-2-3 that has been happening since Gen 3 started.

In Pokemon Advanced Ash caught a single starter Treeko.
In Diamond & Pearl Ash gained two starters Turtwig and Chimchar.
In Best Wishes Ash acquired all three starters Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott.
That pattern reset in XY when Ash only secured a Froakie onto his team.
And continued into the current Sun and Moon with Ash befriending a Litten and a Rowlett.
It is my belief this pattern will continue into Sword and Shield with Ash catching Grookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble.

I mean why make an obvious pattern like this if they didn't plan to continue it?

Actually when it comes to starters I think it will continue the pattern 1-2-3 that has been happening since Gen 3 started.

In Pokemon Advanced Ash caught a single starter Treeko.
In Diamond & Pearl Ash gained two starters Turtwig and Chimchar.
In Best Wishes Ash acquired all three starters Snivy, Tepig, and Oshawott.
That pattern reset in XY when Ash only secured a Froakie onto his team.
And continued into the current Sun and Moon with Ash befriending a Litten and a Rowlett.
It is my belief this pattern will continue into Sword and Shield with Ash catching Grookey, Scorbunny, and Sobble.

I mean why make an obvious pattern like this if they didn't plan to continue it?
Sometimes, patterns can be broken. Also, if the female protag joins Ash, she's probably getting a starter.

That's if the female protag joins Ash. We don't know if she will yet. If she doesn't I think the pattern will hold, if she does the pattern may break.

If we're considering patterns, there's also the pattern of the anime alternating between battle oriented, and non-battle oriented (for Ash) series:
DP: Battle oriented
BW: Less battle oriented (regression)
XY: Battle oriented
SM: Non-Battle oriented

So we're in for a series that is more battle focused, and those series usually avoid giving Ash all three starters (probably because at least one has to be kept in base stage for marketing).

Since this pattern is comparatively more important to maintain to appeal to different demographics, I think it might be chosen over the 3-2-1 thing, and they could give Ash Sobble and Scorbunny with both of them evolving.

Grookey is said to be mischievous and bothered Sobble in the trailer, so I'm guessing it’s the comedic relief starter.

Yes but Ash has had all three starters before in a more battle oriented season as Johto was definitely more battle oriented than Kanto and Ash had all three Johto starters there... although none reached final stage and only one actually evolved in the series proper.

Yes but Ash has had all three starters before in a more battle oriented season as Johto was definitely more battle oriented than Kanto and Ash had all three Johto starters there... although none reached final stage and only one actually evolved in the series proper.

I wouldn’t really call Johto very Battle oriented (compared to DP or XY)

And like how the 3-2-1 pattern seems to exclude Johto, I didn’t notice the battle/non-battle pattern before DP. It’s more a recent trend to have series on the extreme side of things, while the prior series were quite balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom