• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

PokéShipping Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's more than maturing. She matured by getting Togepi. But a lot of people just feel that she became bland, something that has definately been fixed in AG.
Scott85 said:
Hm, are we talking about the Psyduck thing? I don't remember Misty mentioning or thinking about Ash at all in that episode except for that small Psyduck scene.

Just before last scene, Daisy tells her that she doesn't have to take care of the Gym anymore. Misty then thinks about going to Hoenn.

Interesting, makes me wonder why Misty decides to stay at the Gym then. Guess she realizes it's her responsibility, and it's more important than tagging along with Ash.

That doesn't bode to well for Misty becoming a main character again then. Even with her sisters back, she still doesn't want to give up control of the Gym.

She certainly feels a responsibility ot the Gym. And after the flashback in "Judgement Day", you can hardly blame her. So if she were to rejoin Ash, there would have a be a valid reason that involves someone other than Daisy taking the job.

Judging by how incompetent her sisters are at handling the Gym, which almost got it closed in Misty's first Hoso special, I think Misty realized her responsibilities as the new Gym Leader.

Of course, that's not good for us fans who want to see her back in the show, but well, this shows how mature she has become since Kanto.

Kasumi-san said:
In any case, sorry to burst your bubble Mr. Unregistered, but AG has had less rating points than Kanto and Orange Islands and those two seasons had Misty on them.
I have my doubts Misty made the show have high ratings. Pokemon (at least where I live) was at it's peak in Kanto and Orange Islands, then you were considered a loser if you watched Johto onward. The fad just ended because, well, tis a fad. =0

Anyway, about Misty and the gym... Yeah, what everyone else said, responsibility, sisters aren't capable, blah. <_<

I wasn't saying Misty was the one who made the show get higher ratings, it was rather her interaction with Ash what made Kanto and Orange Islands more interesting to people than AG, not to mention the horridness of Johto's first 2 seasons.

While Misty's interactions with Ash was great in the first two seasons, that's not why those seasons were popular.

The show was brand new. It was a fad. EVERYONE watched the show. I'm sure all those people didn't watch the show just to see Misty argue with Ash in every episode.

They liked the concept. They liked the Pokemon. They liked the battles. Misty was just a likeable character, not the sole reason people liked those seasons.

As for it being more interesting than AG, again that differs based on people.

I'll take Ash as an excellent trainer and as a mentor over the bumbling idiot he was back in Kanto. Ash has finally become a respectable trainer, and I much prefer the mentor/student dynamic between him and May then then the bickering we used to get every 5-10 episodes in Kanto. It's sometimes painful to watch Ash in old Kanto eps. because he made a fool out of himself in nearly every episode. Thank goodness Hoenn Ash is rarely like that.

The show is just as popular now as it was back in Kanto. The difference? The fad died. Thus the show automatically gets lower ratings, because all those kids just watching the show "to be cool", stopped watching it. It's that simple.

Pokemon: Advance is still one of the highest rated shows on KidsWb, likewise it gets high ratings on TVTokyo in the "6" range I believe. Pokemon's fad status died somewhere around 2001/2002, thus it's common sense that ratings took a slide, coupled with how bland and dull most of Johto was, it's no surprise that those people didn't come back to watch Pokemon Advance, which is Pokemon at it's peak.

Citing Misty as one of the reasons people as a whole liked Kanto more than Hoenn holds little ground, as most of the people I've seen say that just happen to be die-hard Misty fans in general, not the majority of fans of the Pokemon anime.

Last edited:
I don't think you can just randomley blame little kids for watching the show because it's a fad, there are a lot of people who aren't extremely pleased with AG's direction. You can't just judge over the interent because most people who happen to dislike AG wouldn't obviously be posting on sppf or bmgf anymore so your selection of people would be somewhat biased.

There are many other reasons why I prefer old pocket monsters to AG other than just Pokéshipping or Misty. I mean how many times have you ever seen Gary in AG. :disgust:

Yeah, I think I slightly prefer the old series, too. It was tough to choose, as I love the contest storyline so so so much, but Kanto wins out overall. And in a round-about way, this is very slightly due to Pokeshipping, or at least to the presence of Misty.

One of the things I'd criticise about AG is that the group dynamic isn't very interesting any more. For starters, only half of the cast still have personalities - Ash and Brock turned two-dimensional some time ago - but it's mainly that they all get along a little too well with each other. There are so few spats and disagreements among the twerps these days; the bickering between May and Max is the most entertainment I get out of them. Whereas at the beginning of the series, you could always count on Ash and Misty to get into a huge fight over nothing and spice things up. *nostalgic tear* I miss that.

Sharpshooter said:
I don't think you can just randomley blame little kids for watching the show because it's a fad, there are a lot of people who aren't extremely pleased with AG's direction. You can't just judge over the interent because most people who happen to dislike AG wouldn't obviously be posting on sppf or bmgf anymore so your selection of people would be somewhat biased.

From what I can tell the people that stopped watching the show besides the little kids who likes it for the fad were:

A) Misty fans. Once Misty left the show they gave up watching. There are quite a number of Pokeshippers on SPPF that have said that many times. I guess they couldn't handle the series anymore since their favorite character was removed, so instead of watching, they gave up entirely just because of that reason, not because of the writing quality.

B) Johto burnt them out. There are many people who didn't bother watching AG because Johto just killed the series for them, so they didn't bother sticking with the series after that.

Other than that, I can't think of any other reasons. AG has as many good qualities as Kanto, and does a hell of a lot of things better, but people are too quick to fall back on nostalgia.

There are many other reasons why I prefer old pocket monsters to AG other than just Pokéshipping or Misty. I mean how many times have you ever seen Gary in AG. :disgust:

Guess the writers felt that they couldn't figure out how to write Professor Gary in the series. :p

He pretty much ran his course as a rival, and after Ash beat him they couldn't think of a way to keep him interesting so they axed him. I suspect something like that will happen to Drew as well.

Scott85 said:
A) Misty fans. Once Misty left the show they gave up watching. There are quite a number of Pokeshippers on SPPF that have said that many times. I guess they couldn't handle the series anymore since their favorite character was removed, so instead of watching, they gave up entirely just because of that reason, not because of the writing quality.

Excuse me, but please don't put all of us Misty fans in the same bag as those people. I love Misty and despite the fact that she's not in the show anymore I still watch the series. I just happen to like the Kanto and Orange Islands seasons more than AG. It's a matter of personal taste.

You misunderstand a bit, I meant the group of Misty fans that gave up watching the show since she is no longer in the series.

I of course didn't mean every Misty fan stopped watching. There are tons of Misty fans who still watch AG and absolutely love it.

When I said "Misty fans", I meant "Misty fans who stopped watching just because she wasn't in it", I didn't mean 100% of Misty fans.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I am a Misty fan too, I loved her in Kanto and the Orange Islands. I didn't care for her in Johto, and I understand why the writers chose to get rid of her. But I was simply referring to those select people who stopped watching because of one character, and not the actual writing quality, which of course you're exempt from.

...Does anyone get the feeling that in the HOSOs where Misty and Tracey interact, the writers were trying to tell us that they do NOT have feelings for each other? To me, the polite "No, he's not my boyfriend" Misty said to Sakura and Casey were telling us that Orangeshippy is non-existent as far as the characters themselves are concerned.

Anyway, we can't expect hints from Ash anytime soon ^__^;; but I think a lot of fans want proof from the anime that Misty at least STILL has that big crush on Ash. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom