• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Project Mew

I want to see Goh's reaction to all of Ash's Pokemon.

It would be cool if Ash occasionally uses his reserves to fight some battles. I feel like you can develop his current team while also throwing in some fan service once in a while.
If I had to guess, our next special preview will be about the Galar League arc.

well THIS is certainly something ive woken up to..... how do i even begin to unpack this :,)

the main thing that intrigues me is the weird crown tundra(?? i didnt play swsh so i havent played the dlc by proxy) arc. this looks cool. this looks...... exciting!!! imo THIS is what journeys shouldve been from the very start. the world travel concept had lots of potential and a heart racing expedition to the farthest reaches of the world to discover its secrets is EXACTLY the kind of thing i want to see from this concept instead of "lets go to unova to eat ice cream" or whatever. if they just did this for the past year instead of the painful mediocrity we've been being force fed, maybe in that alternative timeline more people would like journeys because its not a slice of life anime that often fails at being slice of life and is actually uuuuh exciting

speed round!! iris in champion outfit?? SHES CUTE!!! gary?? ABOUT TIME!!! reserves?? I MISSED YOU GUYS!! i am fully aware that this is journeys breaking out their "generate baseless hype" button and they smacked it like no tomorrow, but...... i hate to admit that it kinda worked on me :,D ideally this isnt a reoccurring thing with the reserves because i would rather ashs current team get more development (i can wish anyway) but it always makes me happy to see all of ashs pokemon again especially when we havent seen them in a while. and i guess the writers are already boarding the sinnoh hype train with infernape as the star!! not complaining because infernape is one of my favorite ash pokemon and its gonna be fun seeing it back in action

but like....... i cant help but also curb my expectations because at the end of the day this is still pokemon journeys. this is probably gonna be a one-off arc and one we're done its back to the regularly scheduled snoozefest but regardless of how they handle this "project mew" thing its gonna be an interesting break from the mediocre episodic year we've had and im just hoping its decent so i can say i like ONE thing about this series (seriously godspeed to those of you who are enjoying this series for the rest of us who cant you have a power i cannot comprehend lol)

Wait, who is who? I assume Legendwott is Oshawott, but "Mr. Deserves Better" applies to so many of Ash's old Pokémon.

Well, I was writing that and then I realized that maybe... you mean Legends: Arceus? So it would be Quillava, Oshawott and Rowlet, right?
Yes

I know that some of Ash's reserved Pokémon, including at Professor Oak's Laboratory, have been confirmed to physically appear in the Pocket Monsters 2019 new series, thus far:
  1. Bulbasaur
  2. Charizard (Ash's Charizard's both branched Mega Evolutions and Gigantamax are all always impossible I think.)
  3. Snorlax (Ash's Snorlax's Gigantamax is always impossible I think.)
  4. Heracross (Ash's Heracross's Mega Evolution is always impossible I think.)
  5. Bayleef
  6. Quilava
  7. Totodile
  8. Donphan
  9. Corphish
  10. Infernape
  11. Buizel
  12. Oshawott
  13. Pignite
  14. Krookodile
  15. Talonflame
  16. Hawlucha
  17. Noivern
…The rest of them there have been unconfirmed as of yet:
  1. Squirtle
  2. Kingler (Ash's Kingler's Gigantamax is always impossible I think. Does a late Unshō Ishizuka need replacement for Ash's Kingler's new Japanese language voice actor?)
  3. Primeape
  4. Muk (Does a late Unshō Ishizuka need replacement for Ash's Muk's new Japanese language voice actor?)
  5. Tauros (x30)
  6. Noctowl
  7. Swellow (Does a late Unshō Ishizuka need replacement for Ash's Swellow's new Japanese language voice actor?)
  8. Sceptile (Ash's Sceptile's Mega Evolution is always impossible I think.)
  9. Torkoal
  10. Glalie (Ash's Glalie's Mega Evolution is always impossible I think.)
  11. Unfezant
  12. Torterra
  13. Gliscor
  14. Gible
  15. Unfezant
  16. Snivy
  17. Scraggy
  18. Leavanny
  19. Palpitoad
  20. Boldore (Does a late Unshō Ishizuka need replacement for Ash's Boldore's new Japanese language voice actor?)
Other than the ones shown in this trailer as meeting up with their old Trainer Ash, we'll see whether or not they will physically return in this series. Thanks. :)

Last edited:
THIS is what I've wanted out of Journeys! Waking up to this trailer this morning truly felt like Christmas. The reserves, the action, Crown Tundra, an actual arc, Gary, Iris (yeah she's not a part of Project Mew but I'm still hyped!!!) got me like:

I Get to Receive.gif

Like many of you, however, I'm also trying to temper my expectations. Journeys has teased me enough times over the course of its run so far that at this point, I really try not to expect much beforehand. But I am happy to see that there finally seems to be a more stretched out arc. The episodic approach honestly kills so much of Journeys' potential and it's disheartening. And even though I know this does not mean that the episodic format is dead in the water, I'm glad to see that they are willing to break away from that formula.

Still, my cautiousness doesn't take away from the fact that this trailer was absolutely epic. It's nice to finally have something to look forward to after a string of announced fillers that, even if they end up being enjoyable episodes, don't do much for me in terms of generating excitement for this series. Journeys needed a serious kick in the butt in terms of hype, and this definitely fits the bill.

Wow, colour me surprised. I haven't been a fan of journeys, but Infernape is (for me) Ash's best Pokemon and my personal favourite. I'll be watching it just to see him back again and hopefully he stays on Ash's team. The preview looks really solid as well

What are they planning for the reserves...

1. Maybe the staff has deemed Satoshi's current team a failure and are turning to them to fix that.
  2. Nostalgia, fanservice.
Said that. I prefer the reserves, at least they felt like a real team in their generations.
That's because Ash caught practically all of his Pokemon fully evolved. If Ash had have caught a torterra in sinnoh, or infernape (instead of chimchar) those Pokemon would not have been as highly regarded as they are now. The reason why Ash's team is a failure is because they haven't been given a chance to develop at all. It's kinda sad, really, because his team is actually good. Just not from a story point of view.

I guess that's possible. It would still be kind of strange to bring back his reserves after giving Ash a mostly fully evolved team in this series. Why bother giving Ash Pokemon like Dragonite and Gengar fully evolved if they wanted him to eventually rely on reserves too? I know that they're highly popular and marketable Pokemon, but it just seems odd to give Ash evolved Pokemon right at the start of the series only for them to then rely on his reserves for the end of the series too.

I really doubt that he'll be using his reserves consistently in the future, so it's most likely going to be just fanservice. We don't have any indication that Ash is going to use anyone besides Infernape here either. I also doubt that they'd consider his current team a failure, especially when I don't think that the only viable solution for Ash's team is to bring back his older Pokemon anyway.

infernape is the perfect Pokemon to give to Ash. It serves as marketiting for the sinnoh remakes and Ash doesn't have a fire type in his team at all. It's also one of his most popular Pokemon, so I wouldn't be surprised if he returned and stayed in the manner that charizard did back in Unova.

• I'm surprised to see Iris with her champion outfit. Whether she's a champion or not, it makes me think that champions are a priority for appearances (likely for the PWC), which could mean we could see Cynthia and Diantha (and maybe the Hoenn boys) soon.
  • Many scenes clearly belong to a "Grookey & Eevee get lost" episode. Hopefully it's the same episode as the Pikachu one so we don't lose much time on that.
  • RESERVES!! FINALLY! Ten years of waiting have finally paid off. I hope they get their own episode and that their appearance isn't just a lead in to Infernape's. But if that's not the case then there's at least hope some of them get development through later battles.
  • Kantonian Moltres? Couldn't they have chosen something more exciting? At least Infernape and Gary are there. And talking about Gary, it's cool we'll see more of his researcher side, and that he'll appear in many episodes. I know he'll be a good foil to both Ash and Goh.
  • Crown Tundra arc looks great. It seems more dramatic than what it was in the games, and it will feature interesting legendaries as well as rivals/villains who own them, which is a very welcomed change of pace. Also, Goh having his first encounter with Mew as a trainer will definitely give us hints of what will be his development going forward.

infernape is the perfect Pokemon to give to Ash. It serves as marketiting for the sinnoh remakes and Ash doesn't have a fire type in his team at all. It's also one of his most popular Pokemon, so I wouldn't be surprised if he returned and stayed in the manner that charizard did back in Unova.

I love Infernape too. I really liked its storyline in DP and it's easily Ash's most powerful Fire type Pokemon among his reserves. That being said, I don't think it will stay with the rest of Ash's current team. It's storyline was complete the moment Ash finally defeated Paul with it. It can be used as marketing for BD/SP, but it would kind of make more sense to give Goh one of the Sinnoh starters, especially when they would be unevolved, or preferably they bring Dawn back given how popular both she and Piplup are. Ash didn't have a Grass or Water type for his XY and SM teams respectively, but that didn't lead to him bringing in one of his reserves either.

Considering that Charizard did virtually nothing after Ash brought it back in BW, I don't think that's a good comparison to make here. In retrospect, I'm kind of surprised that they never did anything with Ash's Charizard after they had it stay at Professor Oak's lab, especially when I assume part of that decision was just so that Ash had an easier/faster means of bringing it back than trying to get it from the Charizard Valley. As much as I'm going to enjoy seeing Infernape again, I would much rather have Ash catch new Pokemon and/or focus more on the ones he already has instead of bringing it back for the remainder of Journeys. The same goes for pretty much all of his other reserves too. While there are Pokemon that could benefit from getting more development, a good portion of them already had their spotlight. It just seems kind of backwards to me to want to see older Pokemon be used here to potentially make up for how they were treated in their respective series instead of focusing on his current team. It especially doesn't really work here because if they do have Ash use his reserves or bring one back with his current team, then they're going to be more interested in Pokemon like Charizard and Infernape rather than the underdeveloped Pokemon like Quilava or the vast majority of his BW team.

I'm surprised to see Iris with her champion outfit. Whether she's a champion or not, it makes me think that champions are a priority for appearances (likely for the PWC), which could mean we could see Cynthia and Diantha (and maybe the Hoenn boys) soon.

Cynthia seems like a pretty safe bet given her popularity and BD/SP. I'd be shocked if she wasn't in the Master Class given how hyped up she was throughout DP. Diantha would be an interesting choice too.

Iris: "While you were gone, I became the Champion of Unova. :sneaky:"

Ash: "I am the Champion of Alola. :whistle:"

(before anyone says anything, this is a lighthearted joke)
Iris: You were such a kid in Alola

Ash: Yeah I know

Iris: Go back to the way you were in Kalos where you had two Dragon types and actually got a girlfriend, can’t believe it

“Project Mew” huh?

It would be surprising if Jessie's mother (named Miyamoto in Japan) makes her physical debuts in Pokémon Journeys as a major antagonist. Since both she and Goh are after Mew (for different reasons, of course), perhaps the latter will have to protect Mew from the former at some point during the series. But that's just in my imagination, so I don't believe this would occur unless to the contrary...

Quite a lot to unpack in that trailer. But I will say that after how "Darkest Day" turned out I am ultra skeptical of any arcs going forward.

Good for people who wanted to see the reserves come back but I couldn't personally care less. Iris and Gary on the other hand I am interested in seeing how they will be handled.

Judging by the outfits, the scenary and the high concentration of Legendaries, it looks like we'll be tackling the Crown Tundra...in the loosest way possible considering there was no sign of Peony, Peonia or Sonia that I could tell.

Side note, seeing the emo kid have an Urshifu makes me fear that we won't see the Isle of Armour at all. :(

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom