• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RANDOM MESSAGES 15: Go Storm Area 51...you weirdos

What will you find in Area 51?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please. I was able to answer questions like these back in elementary school. A super massive black hole.

Here's a question for you: how close is the closest star, excluding the sun?
Aprox. 4 light years.

Alpha Centauri.

Have you ever heard of this idea of sending small, about smartphone-sized objects there?
The idea was to speed them up with a giant laser from Earth to 1/5 of the light speed, which means they'd reach Alpha Centauri in about 20 years, and we'd get the first images in 24 years after launching them.

Or have you heard of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri? It's a brilliant strategy based game where you controll one of the seven fractions of humans conquering Alpha Centauri after the crash of the ship Unity, and mysterious murder of the ship's captain. For some dumb reason tho, you never actually get to learn who killed the said captain... none of those factions is even trying to learn it!

Why is Mars red?

10000 miles away?
Or is it somewhere in here? :p
staryu.gif
starmie.gif
cleffa.gif

Too late...

Aprox. 4 light years.

Alpha Centauri.

Have you ever heard of this idea of sending small, about smartphone-sized objects there?
The idea was to speed them up with a giant laser from Earth to 1/5 of the light speed, which means they'd reach Alpha Centauri in about 20 years, and we'd get the first images in 24 years after launching them.
I've heard of it, but I prefer the exploration of our own solar system.
Or have you heard of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri? It's a brilliant strategy based game where you controll one of the seven fractions of humans conquering Alpha Centauri after the crash of the ship Unity, and mysterious murder of the ship's captain. For some dumb reason tho, you never actually get to learn who killed the said captain... none of those factions is even trying to learn it!
Never heard of it. Sorry.
Why is Mars red?
It's rusty. Literally.

What was the first spacecraft to softly land on Mars?

I've heard of it, but I prefer the exploration of our own solar system.

Never heard of it. Sorry.

It's rusty. Literally.

What was the first spacecraft to softly land on Mars?
Beagle! :p

Soviet probe Mars 3?

Oh yeah, there's also this brilliant book by Andy Weir which had a movie based on it, titled "The Martian".
It's set in the nearest future, in which the humanity already started exploring Mars. The book's protagonist, Mark Watney, is a part of the third exploration team send on Mars in history, and the book follows his adventures after he gets seperated from his team by a powerfull sand storm, and is presumed dead.

It's amazing... especially the inclusion of Dawid Bowie's Starman in the movie.

But you've heard of at least one Sid Meier's game? Like any of the Civilization games?

Beagle! :p

Soviet probe Mars 3?
That's the one! Worked for less than a minute, but still. Also, Beagle 2 (not just "Beagle") actually made a successful landing. It just was never able to phone home.
Oh yeah, there's also this brilliant book by Andy Weir which had a movie based on it, titled "The Martian".
It's set in the nearest future, in which the humanity already started exploring Mars. The book's protagonist, Mark Watney, is a part of the third exploration team send on Mars in history, and the book follows his adventures after he gets seperated from his team by a powerfull sand storm, and is presumed dead.

It's amazing... especially the inclusion of Dawid Bowie's Starman in the movie.
Yeah. I own both the book and the movie. I know them through and through.
But you've heard of at least one Sid Meier's game? Like any of the Civilization games?
That person name is unknown, and I only vaguely know about the Civilization games.

That's the one! Worked for less than a minute, but still. Also, Beagle 2 (not just "Beagle") actually made a successful landing. It just was never able to phone home.

Yeah. I own both the book and the movie. I know them through and through.

That person name is unknown, and I only vaguely know about the Civilization games.
I knew of that thing about Beagle 2. Wasn't it found recently somewhere on Mars?

"Space Pirate. Mark Watney."

I read it last time like a year ago... Man... so many laughter, so many amazing memories, I loved it.

Civiliaztion 5 and Alpha Centauri are perhaps my favorite games of all time. Civ 5 doesn't really have a story, sure, but I still love it.

My favorite part about it is perhaps that moment when you are declared a war, your enemy claiming that "Your civilzation is weak and pathetic, crushing you will be a great pleasure to me, I couldn't miss the opportunity to beat up someone so weak, blah blah blah..."

But in the end, not only do you beat the crap out of him, but you beat up every other existing civilzation and conquer the world. Watching your enemies struggle to defeat you is just soo damn entertaining...

I knew of that thing about Beagle 2. Wasn't it found recently somewhere on Mars?
It was several years ago, but yeah, fairly recently. One of its solar panels had apparently failed to deploy and thus reveal the antenna under it.
"Space Pirate. Mark Watney."

I read it last time like a year ago... Man... so many laughter, so many amazing memories, I loved it.
Me and my dad liked it a lot, too.
Civiliaztion 5 and Alpha Centauri are perhaps my favorite games of all time. Civ 5 doesn't really have a story, sure, but I still love it.

My favorite part about it is perhaps that moment when you are declared a war, your enemy claiming that "Your civilzation is weak and pathetic, crushing you will be a great pleasure to me, I couldn't miss the opportunity to beat up someone so weak, blah blah blah..."

But in the end, not only do you beat the crap out of him, but you beat up every other existing civilzation and conquer the world. Watching your enemies struggle to defeat you is just soo damn entertaining...
I know practically nothing about most games that don't involve Pokémon.

It was several years ago, but yeah, fairly recently. One of its solar panels had apparently failed to deploy and thus reveal the antenna under it.

Me and my dad liked it a lot, too.

I know practically nothing about most games that don't involve Pokémon.
Yeah, something like that.

Glad to hear you've liked this. I never suceeded in getting anyone I know to actually watch or read it.

So most basically Civilzation games have a simple premise:
You choose a civilization (there are like 30 or something available in the Brave New World expansion to Civ 5), each of them has it's unique traits. (For example, Germans can capture barbarian units)
The map can be randomized, but there are a couple of pre-existing maps you can use.

The basic goal of the game is to win either technologically-through building a space ship to Alpha Centauri, diplomatically-by accumulating enough followers to become the leader of the U.N, through conquest- by conquering every capital belonging to other civilzations, or cultulary- by dominating other civilizations cultullary, by building hotels, airports, finding artifacts and putting them into a museum, by using the "Grand Artist" units to write a book, a piece of music etc.

The game is much more complicated than that... it has so many assumptions I doubt I could put them all in a single post.

Yeah, something like that.

Glad to hear you've liked this. I never suceeded in getting anyone I know to actually watch or read it.

So most basically Civilzation games have a simple premise:
You choose a civilization (there are like 30 or something available in the Brave New World expansion to Civ 5), each of them has it's unique traits. (For example, Germans can capture barbarian units)
The map can be randomized, but there are a couple of pre-existing maps you can use.

The basic goal of the game is to win either technologically-through building a space ship to Alpha Centauri, diplomatically-by accumulating enough followers to become the leader of the U.N, through conquest- by conquering every capital belonging to other civilzations, or cultulary- by dominating other civilizations cultullary, by building hotels, airports, finding artifacts and putting them into a museum, by using the "Grand Artist" units to write a book, a piece of music etc.

The game is much more complicated than that... it has so many assumptions I doubt I could put them all in a single post.
Your passion towards this game is obvious. I could ramble in a similar way about space exploration. Or Pokémon.

Your passion towards this game is obvious. I could ramble in a similar way about space exploration. Or Pokémon.
Yeah... unfortunatelly for you, there's no Finland in this game...

But I never play as Poland. Not that their bonus is bad, I just think Polynesia and Shoshone are the best to play. If anyone'd ever play as them, he'd understand why I love those nations...
I mean, Polynesia on "Small islands" setting will never fail, unless the player is really bad.

Yeah... unfortunatelly for you, there's no Finland in this game...

But I never play as Poland. Not that their bonus is bad, I just think Polynesia and Shoshone are the best to play. If anyone'd ever play as them, he'd understand why I love those nations...
I mean, Polynesia on "Small islands" setting will never fail, unless the player is really bad.
Again, your love for this game is more than obvious...

Again, your love for this game is more than obvious...
Civ 5 also happens to be my dad's favorite game, so I guess it's a family thing LOL.
He always plays as Poland. Through recently he's told me he's begun playing as the French...

And sorry for ever starting this discussion at all. I really have perfectly no one aside my father I could ramble with about how easy the game is for Polynesians on "small island" settings... or for Shoshone on "Big continents". Seriously, those two are best.

Civ 5 also happens to be my dad's favorite game, so I guess it's a family thing LOL.
He always plays as Poland. Through recently he's told me he's begun playing as the French...
When I was a kid, my dad tended to entertain me by playing games while I watched. I remember Toy Story, Crimson Skies, and some taxi game.

When I was a kid, my dad tended to entertain me by playing games while I watched. I remember Toy Story, Crimson Skies, and some taxi game.
Quite similiar to what I had here. My dad used to be a huge fanatic of Civilzation 3 before 5 came out.

One of the best child's game I played was mostly cherished by my mother, through. It's a game series about the adventures of a dog named Rex (Reksio in Polish) and his brave friend, "Commander" Kretes (Can't really translate it, sorry) the mole.

Those games are pretty much perfect. They have a great sense of humor, their obviosly made in paint graphics is cute, but they are so filled with wordplays that make sense only in Polish that they probally won't be as likable once translated... but we repeat them every once in a year. They were all developed by the Aidem Media studios, maybe you've heard of those.

Quite similiar to what I had here. My dad used to be a huge fanatic of Civilzation 3 before 5 came out.

One of the best child's game I played was mostly cherished by my mother, through. It's a game series about the adventures of a dog named Rex (Reksio in Polish) and his brave friend, "Commander" Kretes (Can't really translate it, sorry) the mole.

Those games are pretty much perfect. They have a great sense of humor, their obviosly made in paint graphics is cute, but they are so filled with wordplays that make sense only in Polish that they probally won't be as likable once translated... but we repeat them every once in a year. They were all developed by the Aidem Media studios, maybe you've heard of those.
As of the games I played myself as a child, there was a game where you build planes and fly around a map fulfilling tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom