• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Random Messages 16: Annual Meeting of NPCs From Cursed, Barely Functional Video Games

What is your favorite curse?

• Total voters
Johto is one of my favorite regions, but I think most of the Johto games' popularity comes from the fact Kanto is also explorable in those games. Plus, Johto featured a lot of Pokémon from Kanto, both wild and trained ones. In other words a lot of the Johto games' popularity comes from Johto's heavy reliance to Kanto.
personally, i think the johto region is better, honestly.

Johto is one of my favorite regions, but I think most of the Johto games' popularity comes from the fact Kanto is also explorable in those games. Plus, Johto featured a lot of Pokémon from Kanto, both wild and trained ones. In other words a lot of the Johto games' popularity comes from Johto's heavy reliance to Kanto.
Yes, and no. I think a decent amount of their popularity comes from the fact that they are the only games, even to date, where you can actually explore multiple regions, and, in the Gen II era, that actually meant being able to explore the entire World of Pokémon as we knew it at the time.
That was HUGE, and no other games have done that ever since.
I mean, being able to get 16 Gym Badges? Fighting yourself/the Player character from the original games, tying in your new adventure to the old one? That’s something that just hasn’t been done at all since then. Even Black 2/White 2 had no in-game interactions with the previous player characters, despite being a direct sequel to Black/White and being able to interact with pretty much all of the other main characters from Black and White. (And yes, Wonder Launcher, or whatever the pfargtl that was, did have some scenes with the previous player character(s), but a) that wasn’t an actual in-game thing, it was locked behind owning a specific thing, and b) as I recall it, you still didn’t get to battle the player character.)

originally planned doesn't mean it happened. In fact, I'd argue that it makes things worse that they had the idea and scrapped it.
I do agree. I'm just saying it was planned and then they abandoned it for whatever reason.

originally planned doesn't mean it happened. In fact, I'd argue that it makes things worse that they had the idea and scrapped it.
I do agree. I'm just saying it was planned and then they abandoned it for whatever reason.
Speaking of scrapped good ideas in Pokémon, I think it was a stupid idea to scrap the well-built-up GS Ball plot in favor of a Celebi movie, especially when they seriously expected people to just forget about it.

Speaking of scrapped good ideas in Pokémon, I think it was a stupid idea to scrap the well-built-up GS Ball plot in favor of a Celebi movie, especially when they seriously expected people to just forget about it.
Completely agree. And we still haven't forgotten about it, roughly 20 years later.

Back
Top Bottom