• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Random Messages 16: Annual Meeting of NPCs From Cursed, Barely Functional Video Games

What is your favorite curse?

• Total voters
There will never be a Pokemon as powerful as Gen I Mewtwo. Period.
Especially with the Special Stat being singular, so one Amnesia doubles both its special attack damage and resistance to special attacks, and the frozen status was also completely broken at that point.

Now, the biggest fuck up starting in Gen II was that Ghost type moves were physical and Dark type moves were special. I'm convinced that it was supposed to be the other way around, considering the stat distributions of many Ghost and Dark types and the fact that moves like Bite and Crunch are more physical, while Shadow Ball sounds like a special move. Also, the biggest evidence of this is that Shadow Ball, a physical move, lowers the target's special defense, even in Gen II-III.
Yeah having all moves of a certain type being physical or special wasn't a good idea, changing to having both physical and special moves for each type was one of my favourite things about Gen 4. I've always found it weird when revisiting Gen 2 that I have to run Umbreon with Shadow Ball and Espeon with Bite to get the best our of their Attack and Special Attack stats.

There will never be a Pokemon as powerful as Gen I Mewtwo. Period.
Especially with the Special Stat being singular, so one Amnesia doubles both its special attack damage and resistance to special attacks, and the frozen status was also completely broken at that point.

Now, the biggest fuck up starting in Gen II was that Ghost type moves were physical and Dark type moves were special. I'm convinced that it was supposed to be the other way around, considering the stat distributions of many Ghost and Dark types and the fact that moves like Bite and Crunch are more physical, while Shadow Ball sounds like a special move. Also, the biggest evidence of this is that Shadow Ball, a physical move, lowers the target's special defense, even in Gen II-III.
I think they made Ghost physical based on Lick and Dark special because... I actually have no idea why. Most Dark moves eventually ended up being physical eventually, so it's kinda hard to understand.
I’m getting close to 32,000.
I'm getting close to that number too. In reactions, that is.

Dark is the Evil type in the Japanese games. Evil might be considered less of a physical thing in culture, maybe.

EDIT: I mean, Evil is more of a state of mind/presence rather than a physical thing.
Then why are a lot of the earlier Dark type moves things like Bite, Crunch, and Faint Attack which are all physical?

Biting someone is a physical action.
That's not relevant to my theory on why the Evil type got the special category up to gen 4.

It is interesting that every dark type move from gens 2 and 3 became physical dark type moves, but as I said... that's not relevant to the type's category itself IMO.

That's not relevant to my theory on why the Evil type got the special category up to gen 4.

It is interesting that every dark type move from gens 2 and 3 became physical dark type moves, but as I said... that's not relevant to the type's category itself IMO.
It’s still backwards.
Evil is just fighting unfairly, which is physical.
Ghosts are ethereal beings, which is decidedly not physical.

Again, Shadow Ball is the greatest evidence that Game Freak/Nintendo knew they were wrong, since it lowers special defense as a physical move.

Evil is just fighting unfairly, which is physical.
One of the dictionary definitions for evil is "profound immorality and wickedness, especially when regarded as a supernatural force.
"his struggle against the forces of evil""

"Supernatural force" would put evil type similar to esper type (psychic).

Keeping in mind that all we have in fan theories. AFAIK, Game Freak has never commented on the reasons why.

Back
Top Bottom