• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rant: Why Rapidash is about to become the most overused Pokemon

Boooo,I thought this was going to be about Rapidash pwning T-tar and Salamence left and right from now on. =/

So the final, for sure count is 493. Another bizarre number, and only 107 new Pokemon.

8 more Pokemon would've really hit the spot, especially if 4 of those were two more sets of Fire-types. We need to stop quitting at such weird numbers.

Here's to Gen VI, which will hopefully stop at 601 or (if we're very lucky) 650.

At least for a computer tech like I am, 386 didn't seem THAT off the wall (1990 called, it wants its Intel processor line back).

- Trip

493 is only 3 over 490, and [HASHTAG]#490[/HASHTAG] is Manaphy. I guess those three are the secret legends of Gen IV.

I could never remember the number of Pokémon in Generation III, and I don't expect to easily remember this number, either. I wish they were nice even numbers again. :\

Trip on SPPf said:
Internet just went out due to thunderstorms, so I'm typing this post without having seen the second page of this thread. (I have 40 posts per page)

First thing I want to address is that, yes, my rant did make it to Bulbanews. However, this was submitted last night at the same time as my thread on Bulbagarden, only that it took over 12 hours to be approved over here. In the mean time, one of the maintainers of Bulbanews was impressed with it, and thus it was posted as an opinion piece.

Fighting Spirit: I didn't include the Fire/Steel (Hiidoran is it?) because it's a one-of or legendary, and did not appear in the 151.

To the many who trashed fire: I don't care about what's the best type for battling or any of this nonsense. I don't do competitive battling, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I like to have a balanced team that I enjoy, using all new Pokemon if possible. Part of that balanced team is something Fire-type.

Zipzap713: I hadn't thought of that, and it's actually a very good point. Making the Shinou Dex easy to fill and thus unlock the National Dex would make sense, though I still would have liked more variety in the first 150. Were 30+ water types really necessary?

Yami Ryu: I am not trashing Rapidash. It's merely that I don't want to be forced into using Rapidash. I much prefer making my team out of all new Pokemon if possible, and without a fire type, I end up locked in to just Rapidash or going without a Fire-type. At this point, it looks like I'll be going without one, if possible.

Arcanine65: I actually like many of the Pokemon I've seen. Among others, I'm most impressed with the Penguin, the Lion (I wish it became half-Dark, but that's another story), Rozeraid, both of the fossils, Pachirisu, Buoysel, Donkrow, the Muuma evo, Doomirror, the UFO Magneton, and many, many others. That's what's so disappointing--there's not more OF these fantastic creatures! Especially in some of the types they really could have gone to town with, Fire and Ice. This game would have been ideal for both, having the snow-covered region in the north.

Chi's Finest: The graphics are definitely not those of other games, but you have to understand that I'm not into these totally-realistic graphics like you see in many other games. I am perfectly happy with a cartoony game that's less than realistic, because let's face it--I'm not spending $126 ($80 for DS Lite w/ $50 Gift Certificate, $46 for Diamond import) to emulate real life. And the backwards compatibility is still better than R/S/E's. They've intentionally crippled it to keep people from just totally importing everything they have.

Thought you might be interested in this message I posted over at SPP, in response to the copy of this thread that got posted there.

- Trip

OBJECTION! Two Fan’s Differing views on the 4th Generation Pokemon

Note this was originally made for PokeZam.com. Please do not think I am bashing Bulbagarden or the author I am merely stating my oppinion.

Recently on Bulbagarden there was an opinion thread on why Rapidash is going to become the most overused Pokemon due to the 4th generation. I read the article and do not agree on many of the views Trip brought up. Read the article here: http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wi..._is_about_to_become_the_most_overused_Pokémon

He starts off his article (I'm assuming its a guy since Trip is a guys name) saying that there are only 5 fire type and 4 ice types being added in this generation not including legendaries. 1st off, my argument for that statement is legendaries are Pokemon too. If he included legendaries it would bring up the sum to 5 Fire Pokemon and 6 Ice. Not a great change but a significant one. I agree that many weren't added this generation and many haven't been in past. I think though that this generation they did a great job increasing the amount of Ghost Pokemon and evolution types and it wasn't about fire and ice.

He then the says "I don't understand their logic. Why did they cap it at 151 Pokémon again, instead of going to 200 like they did in Ruby and Sapphire? They could have stuck 50 more Pokemon in it, including a decent number of Fire and Ice Pokémon, and it would have been just fine. Even if they were old ones, at least they'd be there." I think the reason they didn't put in 200 was because this generations focus was evolution and baby Pokemon and new ingame batteling features. It wasn't about the amount this time around. It would've been nice, but we now have 500 Pokemon to collect, I'm not complaining.

This statement I do not agree with at all. "Statistically speaking, one third of people will have the Fire starter. What are the other two thirds to do? I see one other Fire-type: Ponyta. Essentially, if you don't pick the Fire starter, and plan to get a Fire type so you don't have to use a TM on something else, you will get Ponyta, end of story." Why would you get a Ponyta. There are many other Pokemon fire Pokemon out there, why bother with a Ponyta or Rapidash. Sure they are good Pokemon but I could choose a Camerupt or a Flareon over it any day.

The author states how there is really a lack of Pokemon this generation, this generation was about evolutions and babies. Let’s think about it if there aren’t a lot of past Ice and Fire Pokemon, if this generation is about evolution and babies, there won’t be a lot of fire or ice this generation.

Next he mentions how Bugs and Ghosts were really pushed in the 4th generation, one type that struggled in the past. My opinion is he wants drastic change in one generation. Change happens slowly, in due time I think there will be a great increase in Fire and Ice types, like I said, it wasn’t the generation for it.

He states then he understands this generation and what they are doing. I don’t think he does. He clearly states how this is too increase 2nd generation evolutions and babies when all 3 generations are getting a major update. He also says how he doesn’t understand why they couldn’t have made a lot of new Pokemon. Personally, my opinion is, don’t overdo it. They are making major game updates and Pokemon and evolution updates in this generation, if they added a lot of new Pokemon not related to former ones, they would be a little too much, it would be overdoing it.

“I hope DS game chips are writable. Really. Because I'm really hoping that in the next installment of the Pokémon series, be it SolidGold/SterlingSilver, or Gem, or whatever the name is, I hope they introduce more, and allow them to be sent to Diamond and Pearl. Or, even better, allow them to be downloaded via Wi-Fi. Especially if they are Fire and/or Ice.” This statement humors me in a way. DS chips are not writable, obviously, if they were it would be easy to hack with no protection. He then goes to mention the next installment of SolidGold/SterlingSilver, suggesting that a 2nd generation game remake will be made and if it is he hopes they add new Pokemon, if that was to happen the only thing that would be in it, would be Johto Pokemon to be traded to Diamond and Pearl.

In his final statement he says how he’s not trashing the game but he wishes more fire Pokemon were in it. I am sticking with my quote, this wasn’t the generation for it.

My Response to PokeZam's Piece

He starts off his article (I'm assuming its a guy since Trip is a guys name)

Yes I am.

saying that there are only 5 fire type and 4 ice types being added in this generation not including legendaries. 1st off, my argument for that statement is legendaries are Pokemon too. If he included legendaries it would bring up the sum to 5 Fire Pokemon and 6 Ice. Not a great change but a significant one.

I intentionally leave out legendaries because I do not use them. They cannot be bred, they are overpowered, and they are disallowed in some competitive battling leagues, at least as far as I remember. Whenever I did a link battle, which was rare, there was a rule against them.

I agree that many weren't added this generation and many haven't been in past. I think though that this generation they did a great job increasing the amount of Ghost Pokemon and evolution types and it wasn't about fire and ice.

There were quite a few new Ghosts, yes. I can agree there, and it's a welcome addition to an until-recently-under-represented type.

He then the says "I don't understand their logic. Why did they cap it at 151 Pokémon again, instead of going to 200 like they did in Ruby and Sapphire? They could have stuck 50 more Pokemon in it, including a decent number of Fire and Ice Pokémon, and it would have been just fine. Even if they were old ones, at least they'd be there." I think the reason they didn't put in 200 was because this generations focus was evolution and baby Pokemon and new ingame batteling features. It wasn't about the amount this time around. It would've been nice, but we now have 500 Pokemon to collect, I'm not complaining.

Perhaps it wasn't, but there is ONE new final evolution Fire-type that is not legendary or an evolution of an existing Pokemon, and that is the starter. I can see it not being big on new ones, but isn't ONE a bit of a small number for such an identifyable type as Fire?

This statement I do not agree with at all. "Statistically speaking, one third of people will have the Fire starter. What are the other two thirds to do? I see one other Fire-type: Ponyta. Essentially, if you don't pick the Fire starter, and plan to get a Fire type so you don't have to use a TM on something else, you will get Ponyta, end of story." Why would you get a Ponyta. There are many other Pokemon fire Pokemon out there, why bother with a Ponyta or Rapidash. Sure they are good Pokemon but I could choose a Camerupt or a Flareon over it any day.

And you completely, 100% missed my point. If you are so able to use a Camerupt and Flareon prior to defeating the Elite Four and acquiring the National Dex, I would like to see it. My point is that in-game, the Rapidash would become overused.

I am unlike many you will encounter. I don't do much competitive battling. I enjoy replaying my game. I get bored with it after I beat all the trainers. Thus, I would really like to have more choice in how I assemble my team, as changing out a large section of my team after the Elite Four honestly makes no sense to me. I like to raise my team as the game goes along, not dump my whole team and raise a new one at the end of the game.

The author states how there is really a lack of Pokemon this generation, this generation was about evolutions and babies. Let’s think about it if there aren’t a lot of past Ice and Fire Pokemon, if this generation is about evolution and babies, there won’t be a lot of fire or ice this generation.

Simple logic, yes. That still does not mean they couldn't have added a few more new ones.

Next he mentions how Bugs and Ghosts were really pushed in the 4th generation, one type that struggled in the past. My opinion is he wants drastic change in one generation. Change happens slowly, in due time I think there will be a great increase in Fire and Ice types, like I said, it wasn’t the generation for it.

You say drastic change as if more new Fire types would be a drastic change. When you say it will occur in future generations, are you implying that you think next time there will be MORE Ghosts and Bugs, with another small number of Fire and Ice? As if there wasn't a sudden and drastic change in the number of Ghosts and Bugs this time from last?

I don't buy it. This game has a snow-covered region. It is the perfect place to introduce a slew of new Ice-types, and Fire-types would sort of fit a snow-covered region as well.

He states then he understands this generation and what they are doing. I don’t think he does. He clearly states how this is too increase 2nd generation evolutions and babies when all 3 generations are getting a major update. He also says how he doesn’t understand why they couldn’t have made a lot of new Pokemon. Personally, my opinion is, don’t overdo it. They are making major game updates and Pokemon and evolution updates in this generation, if they added a lot of new Pokemon not related to former ones, they would be a little too much, it would be overdoing it.

You state that I fail to understand what they're doing, then go on to say exactly what I just said, except you gave your own opinion on the number of new ones without saying where exactly I was wrong in my analysis. Disagree with me on my opinion about having more new ones if you'd like, but please point out where I was wrong about them working with old ones.

“I hope DS game chips are writable. Really. Because I'm really hoping that in the next installment of the Pokémon series, be it SolidGold/SterlingSilver, or Gem, or whatever the name is, I hope they introduce more, and allow them to be sent to Diamond and Pearl. Or, even better, allow them to be downloaded via Wi-Fi. Especially if they are Fire and/or Ice.” This statement humors me in a way. DS chips are not writable, obviously, if they were it would be easy to hack with no protection. He then goes to mention the next installment of SolidGold/SterlingSilver, suggesting that a 2nd generation game remake will be made and if it is he hopes they add new Pokemon, if that was to happen the only thing that would be in it, would be Johto Pokemon to be traded to Diamond and Pearl.

I know the chances of a writable DS chip is very slim, however I really do think that something like that may come in the future as a way to allow new Pokemon into the game without spoiling the surprise. If they can put new berries into the game via e-cards, is it that much of a stretch to imagine a new Pokemon via Wi-Fi?

As far as Gold and Silver, I would like to see remakes of them. I rather liked Johto, and would like to revisit. I feel Johto never got all the credit it deserved, as it was really a rather neat region.

In his final statement he says how he’s not trashing the game but he wishes more fire Pokemon were in it. I am sticking with my quote, this wasn’t the generation for it.

I'm not trashing the game. I like everything I see in it. I just wish that Fire types weren't left out for the second generation in a row.

- Trip

If they can put new berries into the game via e-cards, is it that much of a stretch to imagine a new Pokemon via Wi-Fi?

The problem with that is that any Pokemon obtained in such a way would problably be Legendaries (to trump up how special and cool it was to the n00b kiddies), thus invalidating the whole idea.

That would depend on exactly how it was done. Imagine if they decided they'd add 1 extra Pokémon to the game every month. It could be an evolution, or it could be an entirely new one. It wouldn't be added directly to your team, like the legendaries in the past, but instead it'd just be opened up as catchable (or able to be evolved into).

Releasing a new Pokemon every month would get boring. When Munchlax first was released, everyone was super excited, but then when they began to release more DP Pokemon on a regular basis, it just got sort of bleh and unexciting.

Yeah, but I could see an GBA expansion pack that adds 20-30 more Pokemon, some new items and events to DP doing well, providing that it would be priced affordably (IE - less than the actual DP game). Pokemon are best released in chunks, instead of one new one a month ala Digimon.

In fact, I'd prefer such an expansion to a "third game". Emerald would've been a lot more appealing if you could've just downloaded the upgrades for 10-15 bucks to Ruby or Sapphire.

Is the DS even capable of using the GBA to access new gameplay data? I've heard some developers theorizing about using the GBA slot in such a way, and I believe it WAS used for a puzzle game or something once in such a fashion, but I'm not certain.

Hmmm....

While not putting down your central argument, which is quite valid (*one* new non-starter fire type to play with up to the E4 would have been reasonable, perhaps *instead* of Ponyta/Rapidash), Fire types have usually been restricted in previous games too. There seems to be a tradition of "if you don't choose the Fire starter, you won't see another for half the game". In Red or Blue you only have one Fire option (Vulpix or Arcanine) from route 7 though Pokémon Mansion, for example.

But this really wasn't the right region to have a bunch of new Fire types.

The only version that ever had wild fire types found before the first gym was Crystal, but that was a special 3rd version. Hello, I de-lurked because of D/P.

Well, we kinda have ANOTHER Fire DP Pokemon....

Aruseus with a Fire Plate.

Aruseus with a Fire Plate.

Oh goodie the most broken pokémon ever created. That's a great alternative. :drowsy:

Anyway, the reason why fire types are so rare in the games is that fire itself rarely ever appears in nature naturally. Fire only naturally appears after lighting strikes or lava flows. Otherwise nearly all other forms of fire are caused by people. (directly or indirectly)

In case you haven't noticed, nearly all fire types are based on some sort of animal (the only ones I can think of that are not are is Magmar line and that Fire/Steel legendary) I suppose GF is trying to steer clear of basing another fire type on another animal... unfortunately, they seem to be quite low on ideas :\

The main reason why Ponyta and Rapidash is the lucky fire type prevalent in Shinou is that Hokaido, the japanese prefecture Shinou is based upon is famous for breeding and racing horses.

Anyway, the reason why fire types are so rare in the games is that fire itself rarely ever appears in nature naturally. Fire only naturally appears after lighting strikes or lava flows. Otherwise nearly all other forms of fire are caused by people. (directly or indirectly)

This is true. Fire-types chiefly appear near volcanoes - Cinnabar Island, Chimney, and Mt. Ember.

However, there don't seem to be any volcanoes in Shinou, so . . .

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom