• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Remember when we thought 4Kids butchered the Pokemon anime?

It's way more common for movies to use all-purpose music for wordless scenes rather than use a dump of "new" tracks by popular artists since the later options doesn't work for Americans, but it's 4Kids and we know what they're going to do. Plus I prefer Brother My Brother to be the "hit single" rather than an ballad by a new European female duo since it plays in a very important scene, right?
By soundtrack you're referring to that CD that had tons of rejected late 90's teen pop music right? Because I actually didn't mind dub's instrumental music in the first movie, but I hated Brother My Brother. Soda Pop was cute though, but then again it was a Britney Spears song. And Don't Say You Love Me might have been really out of place and just random on that soundtrack, but it was still a pleasant song with a campy music video.
I can confirm that several animated movies made in the late 90s/early 2000s were crammed with pop music, so it could be where 4Kids got the idea from. How well it works depends on the movie, with "Holding Out For a Hero" at the climax of Shrek 2 being an outstanding example. And it doesn't have to be animated movies that exploits pop music to get ratings with children or teenage girls. Just watch any Adam Sandler film.

And it could've been worse, as one voice actor stated that 4Kids (and Warner Bros.) briefly had the idea of replacing the voice cast with big-name celebrities at the time for Mewtwo Strikes Back. This is called stunt casting, and is used to bring in their fans to the project. Back in the 90s, Janet Waldo was replaced with Tiffany Darwish for Jetsons: The Movie because she was popular at the time. Then Disney replaced Chloe Grace Moretz with Miley Cyrus for Bolt in order to attract the Hannah Montana fangirls. Both bombed.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom