• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP49: A Scare to Remember! ・ EP50: Pokéblock, Stock, and Berry

I totally didn't tape the second episode, because I forgot... KidsWB, stick to a *schedule*! Argh!

Anywho, "A Scare to Remember". Good title; although I've never seen "An Affair to Remember", it kinda sounds like it should tie in, ne? The Jessie/James line when they were flat was highly amusing. The way they were drawn after they regained shape, it kinda looked like they expected to land on top of each other flattened. ^_^ No Blueshipping! XD Yeah, it was weird, I don't know if TR's just getting nicer on the outside, or if they've just decided to make them eccentric in any emotion. As much as I adore Jess :):bulbaHugs::), her talk about being "wiwwy hungwy" was kinda OOC, ne? Unless she was cracked out... I dunno.

I liked how they edited the flashback scene for the English, but I liked the song and the feel of the Japanese more. (In the original, the entire scene was Ash battling Norman and Vigaroth.) "Soko no Sora ni Aru Kara" is such an awesome song, and I liked how Ash really came to the realization of how important Pikachu is through his internal dialogue in Japanese. The English song really kinda forced that realization on you...

Overall, I'd say 8/10.

EDIT: Oh, and I was surprised that James knew the word "inanimate". XD

Last edited:
Scott85 said:
Does Brock even remember that he has Pokemon? Most of the time he just stands there and watches while Ash/May try to fight off TR. Sometimes they're actually losing, and Brock still stands there doing nothing.

Gee, little help Brock?

Don't forget that he's a breeder before a trainer. Battling isn't his specialty.

No, but he is a former Gym Leader and is quite capable of holding his own in a battle.

I only saw "A Scare To Remember" since the UK is only showing one new episode per week still.

It was a useful episode, although I didn't like the way Pikachu finally, out of nowhere remembered Ash just like that.

The reunion was a bit mushy alright, "Pikachu's goodbye" was much better at demonstrating this IMO, but seeing Team Rocket actually use Pikachu on Ash was quite funny/odd I suppose. They probably should have made Team Rocket do more than Pikachu though. Otherwise decent-ish episode.

Man Brock has been neutered. When he first showed up he was one of the best Pokemon trainer in the area. Now he's...eh?

Brock went psycho against TR in "Going for a Spinda" when he had Forretress use Explosion on their mecha.

Argy said:
Don't forget that he's a breeder before a trainer. Battling isn't his specialty.

So? What's preventing Brock from helping his friends defeat TR? Is it really too much trouble for Brock to send out his Mudkip and tell it to use Water gun and blow them away?

Instead, the writers have him stand there doing nothing while Ash and May do all the work. I understand that when Ash/May are winning against TR then there's no need for Brock to do anything, but sometimes TR are actually winning, and Brock does nothing to help his friends...?

As for Brock, I think my mom put it correctly when she said, "He states the obvious, doesn't he?"
All he's used for is to tell the audience what they might already know, and to drool over girls. Do some battling, Brock! Or at least, some refereeing...

Scott85 said:
I'd rather the writers give May's coordinators some character, rather than rushing into a contest against some generic opponent. And besides that, the episode explained the Berry Blending from the games as well as having the subplot of Ash teaching Swellow Aerial ace.

It's the same reason the GYM episodes all have an introduction episode as well, in order to get some backstory on the Gym leader and his/her personality.

You have good points, but I think the implementation is a bit dry at this point. I did think Noland was interesting, though. The Swellow learning Aerial Ace bit is virtually the same as Treecko and Bullet Seed, or Pikachu and Iron Tail, so I didn't enjoy it too much.

fruitsmoothierevenge said:
Do some battling, Brock! Or at least, some refereeing...
He has a good role in the upcoming "Judgement Day" episode.

There's a song in Japan where Naysu sings to Pikachu. About how he (it?) admires Pikachu from afar, that they aren't really that different, etc. It's called Hey Pikachu! You all probably think I'm nuts, but I have the song and from the lyrics that I read (I understand they may not be right or whatever) it's about Naysu's uhm, cute admiration for Pikachu... (here's some of the lyrics. You can find the entire translation at animelyrics.com )

I want to see you, Pikachu
For example, that
You are "cute" is my reason and
My worry for you has a limit!

Our feelings
Are they only understood by us?
Our smiles...
Are our desires only understood by us?

Hey! Pikachu
You are like us -
A super hero
You don't know I yearn for you

I want to see you, Pikachu
As in... um...
To hug you in a certain way, like a girl
It's not enough

[Speaking] Pikachu! I often eavesdrop on you
No one is perfect... I disagree!

It's nice to see another Meowth oriented ep. (Glomps her fellow Meowth fandom types.)
And the line about Jessiebelle in the second one was priceless.

"A Scare to Remember"

I loved this episode! It was great! And even the beginning of it was dramatic, with the tree falling in front of Pikachu. Even though I have the Japanese version of this episode, and I already knew what was gonna happen, it still left me surprised. I liked how it did that. And I loved absolutely everything about this episode! I liked it when Meowth was translating what Pikachu told him (I love it when he translates!), and the way Meowth gave Pikachu a new memory was funny. I also liked the part when Ash and everyone found the footprints that Pikachu and Meowth had left, and they noticed that Pikachu showed no sign of struggling. That made it even more dramatic. And I liked it when Meowth and Pikachu finally made it to Team Rocket's base. The part when Pikachu jumped on James' shoulder was hilarious! XD Also, when Ash and everyone finally made it to where Team Rocket was with Pikachu, I liked how that part was so dramatic and everything. I mean, Ash didn't understand why Pikachu had joined Team Rocket, or why Pikachu didn't seem to remember him at all (until he was told that it had amnesia). And that was so sad when Team Rocket kept shocking Ash with Pikachu, because he didn't even know why Pikachu was doing that. I felt really bad for him. Although, when Ash found out that Pikachu had amnesia, I liked how he kept trying to bring Pikachu's memory back. And one of my favorite parts in this episode, was when he climbed up Team Rocket's balloon to get Pikachu back from them. I love how he's so brave and determined. I also liked the part when Ash and Pikachu fell into the water, and he had that flashback of all the great times he's had with Pikachu. I loved that scene! And the music that played during that scene was great too (yes, I actually liked the song they added in the dub). I mean, that was a new song, and you hardly ever get to hear any new music in the dub. So, that was really cool. Of course, my favorite part in this episode was after Ash and Pikachu got out of the water, and Ash asked Pikachu, "Do you remember me?" and Pikachu said "Pikapi!" and then they hugged each other really close. That was so cute! And overall, I think this was one of the best Pokemon episodes ever made. It was really dramatic, sometimes funny, very sad, and just a really good episode that is now one of my all time favorites.

Rating: 10 out of 10

"Pokeblock, Stock, and Berry"

This was a pretty good episode! I always like it whenever there's a new contest for May to enter. And one of my favorite parts in this episode was when Ash ate that Pokeblock that was really sour. That was so funny! XD And I liked the part when May made her first Pokeblock, using the Berry Blender, and it didn't taste too good. That was kinda funny too. XD And I also liked how they had the Berry Blender from the games in the anime. That was really cool! And I loved how that one guy (forgot his name) offered to help Ash teach Swellow the move Aerial Ace. That was cool! And I liked the part when Ash, Max, and Swellow bowed down to that guy. That was really funny! XD Oh, and it was cool how we finally got to see Grumpig in the anime. And I also liked James' line about Jessiebelle. That was hilarious! And that reminds me, I also liked how May actually defeated Team Rocket all by herself. That was cool! And I liked the character of the day (forgot her name). She seems like a pretty good coordinator. Oh, and when they started the contest, and Combusken's Fire Spin attack went out of control like that, I didn't expect that. So, that was really surprising, and it was very suspenseful too. I can't wait to see what happens next! And overall, this was a really cool episode, and it was interesting and funny too.

Rating: 9 out of 10

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom