• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP14: Lost Leader Strategy!

I didn't hear much of Rachel's performance; i just stuck around until i could tell that it was really her as Maylene. i think that people think it was so wonderful because she's one of the original VAs for the show. I personally am a big fan of her (U-TE-NAAAAA...), and it was great to hear her doing Pokemon again, so i won't rag on her for something i didn't really go into too deeply. I was just happy to hear a favorite. ^^

Did anyone catch the line Team Rocket said when they were saying their motto, how it's a mix of the "Old and the new?".

Also, the whole "Is Lucario allergic to chocolate?" question was lampshaded.

Perhaps this isn't the correct term, but one bit of Fridge logic that occured when watching the Lucario movie is that Max offers Lucario a bar of chocolate, however, dogs are unable to digest chocolate and get very ill from doing so (they love the taste though).

Team Rocket just pointed this out in this episode.

Lucario's a Pokemon, though, even if he does resemble a dog (reminds me of Anubis!). Granted, the logistics could be the same, but...eh, whatever. maybe Lucario's just that awesome, and he can eat it?

Heh, I wouldn't mind if Rachael Lillis does some other roles this saga. She won't be able to do Jessie but maybe some future female characters as well.

She could reprise Misty I suppose, but that's a moot point since nobody knows if she'll turn up in D/P.

Lucario's a Pokemon, though, even if he does resemble a dog (reminds me of Anubis!). Granted, the logistics could be the same, but...eh, whatever. maybe Lucario's just that awesome, and he can eat it?

Well, Lucario is just a ficional character, there's not much one could do about it really. You know, the MST3K mantra.

It was nice that another old VA made an apperance again, though since she didn't sound like her older characters, it was hard for me to tell ^^;

I love how they kept continuity with Movie 8. Ash spots the aura spheres at the beginning and immediately knows what they are, but Dawn's clueless until Brock gives her an explination (Ash was too preoccupied watching the Lucario, he was happy to meet one again). Jessie bribing Lucario with chocolate was rather amusing too, as well as them wondering if maybe it was allergic to chocolate :p

Turtwig was hanging on Ash's arm by it's mouth...you gotta wonder if that hurt? I bet Gligar slamming into him again did, at any rate :p

Seeing as how I usually watch the D/P episodes in Japanese, there are some things that always take some getting used to again. Staravia's dub voice still makes me cringe...though this is easily remedied by turning the volume down. Also, Ash definately could have sounded better. Other than that, it was about as good as I've come to expect from a PUSA dub.

I like the music during the Reggie and Ash battle even though it was PUSA it didn't feel out of place to me and seemed to fit the mood.

I enjoyed the acting, animation and most of the music. So a pretty good episode I think.

I think it was a great episode, personally. I don't have anything to nag about it. I really enjoyed it.

The audio direction in this episode actually worked, with the music being prevalent at the right moments, and sharper dialogue.

My only problem is the music during the Ash Vs. Reggie battle was a lot better in the original. Battles always have this epic feeling in the original, yet in the dub it just feels standard.

I really wish some fans would try to do a project where we take the Japanese music but put it with the english dub voices. That would be awesome.

I ...don't understand how you people differentiate all these BGM the average viewer doesn't seem to care about.

I ...don't understand how you people differentiate all these BGM the average viewer doesn't seem to care about.

The average viewer probably wouldn't watch the Japanese version. But then, would the average viewer join a Pokemon forum? :) It's quite easy to see the difference once you compare the battles. The Japanese version usually uses remixes of game music and the tracks are usually used to fit the situation, while the dub (if using dub music) will use whatever to fill the space.
A good one to compare is the Gary vs Ash battle at the end of AG. I watched the dub version first, so it has nothing to do with watching the raw first preferring it that way. The dub used their usual dub "battle" music, which really doesn't help to make any mood for the battle
1:55 here
While the Japanese decided to use Mezase Pokemon Master 2001here
The Japanese version seems much more intense and energetic and, I think, the music makes the scene much more memorable. IMO, I think it's amazing how different a scene can be because of the music used.

In which I complain about faulty subs
I'll try and think of them from memory. Saying dono is for refering to someone beneath you in rank was one lovely goof-up.

And Hikari telling Lucario after he butts into her little conversation with Sumomo, "just tell her, Lucario!" when she said, "maa maa, Lucario, kikoe yo!"

... Yes. Because Lucario is supposed to speak to her and tell her what it thinks, right?

(which is more correctly translated as "Lucario, listen to her!" or let her speak, as those actually make sense.)

Honestly, who translated that? But this thread's about the dub version, so I'm shutting up about faulty subs.

I hope Lillis does more fitting voices and I hope she improves her Maylene in the episodes to come. ^^

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom