• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SharKing's New OU Team

SharKing

I won't bite... much.
Reaction score
The Team at a Glance
373.gif
376.gif
232.gif
609.gif
134.gif
227.gif
This is another team that I built largely on a whim... which is basically the source of inspiration for all my teams, XD. Anyway, I just kinda built from the Salamence + Metagross combo, and wound up with what I have. And I've come to believe I've cooked up a winner here. On the PO server's "Wi-Fi OU" ladder, this team has gone as high as 1455 points! Man, was I amazed. Well, let's go into specifics, like in all RMTs that don't end up closed.

373.gif

Bahkendov
the Salamence

Naive / Life Orb / Intimidate
64 Attack / 192 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed

Draco Meteor
Outrage
Fire Blast
Earthquake
With its good Speed, powerful moves, unresisted coverage, and ability to raze enemies from both spectrums, this thing isn't just a dragon. It's the very incarnation of destruction itself. Draco Meteor and Outrage are both very, very vicious STAB attacks that only Steel-types resist, though each has a drawback. Draco Meteor temporarily weakens both itself and Fire Blast, and Outrage keeps going after its initial launch, also confusing Salamence. Yes, that "keeps going" part is a drawback, since Steel-types are everywhere. Fire Blast covers its STABs nicely, hitting the only type that resists Dragon for super-effective damage. It also notably destroys Ferrothorn, Scizor, Forretress, and some Skarmory (the latter two with Rocks because of Sturdy), and at least leaves a very crippling injury on things like Celebi, Jirachi, and Breloom. Earthquake annihalates the one Pokemon that resists Dragon and Fire: Heatran. It also keeps up the pressure on some Steel-types even after Draco Meteor weakens Fire Blast, and it puts a nasty dent in other Ground-weak foes, such as Tyranitar and Tentacruel. Though the recoil's always unpleasant, Salamence just can't pass up the Life Orb, which gives every single one of its attacks a significant power boost.

Salamence's main purpose is to act as an early- or mid-game battering ram, tearing gaping holes in the opposing team and eliminating threats that would otherwise prevent a sweep for my other Pokemon. Even then, Salamence itself has managed sweeps before. It's especially great if it can get Wish support from Vaporeon, allowing it to wreak even more havoc. I have Intimidate because I'd like to raise this team for Wi-Fi, and with my sheer inactivity in the Dream World and the inability to Synchronize DW Pokes, I don't think I could be arsed to get myself a MoxieMence, especially with Outrage.

376.gif

Terminator
the Metagross

Jolly / Leftovers / Clear Body
12 HP / 252 Attack / 244 Speed

Meteor Mash
Earthquake
ThunderPunch
Rock Polish
When the opposing team is all battered and worn, this mechanical monster comes in and mercilessly steamrolls all that stand in its way. Rock Polish is what opens the door to a sweep for Metagross, raising its Speed to a level that allows it to troll the troll known as Choice Scarf Terrakion. Meteor Mash is its main method of attacking, as it's quite powerful with STAB, and a chance Attack boost can easily secure victory. Earthquake hits Steel-types and Electric-types that resist its STAB, and ThunderPunch rounds out its coverage, notably crushing that which would otherwise cut its sweep short: Gyarados.

The main purpose of this killing machine is to act as a late-game sweeper, when all appropriate counters and checks are crippled or eliminated. Its typing and bulk make it very hard to stop its sweep with priority attacks, especially Bullet Punch and ExtremeSpeed. I went with Leftovers because I prefer to preserve the bulk that would work in tandem with its boosted Speed to allow it to sweep. It actually made a big positive difference in a lot of matches so far, believe it or not.

232.gif

Maximus
the Donphan

Adamant / Leftovers / Sturdy
252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Speed

Earthquake
Fire Fang
Rapid Spin
Ice Shard
A sturdy physical tank and the team's Spinner. Its main purpose is to spin away the entry hazards that would otherwise ravage my team, and it does a damn fine job of that. I actually decided to take a more offensive approach with Donphan, in order to make life hell for certain hazard-layers. In fact, that's why I have Fire Fang on this thing: it leaves a nasty dent in Forretress and Ferrothorn, 2-hitting both of them! STAB Earthquake is just an all-around solid attack, and coming from 372 Attack, it hurts. Ice Shard can get a quick kill on a weakened opponent, especially a Dragon-type or something else with a massive weakness to Ice.

This thing, as I said, is a fine Spinner, especially with Leftovers completely healing off the laughable damage Stealth Rock does to it. Its Electric immunity also helps, what with my other two defensive Pokes being weak to Electric moves. Vaporeon covers its Water and Ice weaknesses well, and Skarmory can come in on a Grass-type attack in most cases. If it's at full health, it can also take any attack (bar Cloyster's Icicle Spear) with Sturdy and retaliate with a strong attack, also following up with an Ice Shard if necessary.

609.gif

オニビカリ
(Onibikari)
the Chandelure

Timid / Choice Scarf / Flash Fire
4 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed

Fire Blast
Shadow Ball
Trick
Hidden Power (Fighting)
With a Choice Scarf to ramp up its average Speed, this thing can easily unleash the destructive Special power it's famous for. Fire Blast utterly decimates anything that doesn't resist it, especially after a boost from Flash Fire, and Shadow Ball acts as a secondary STAB, inflicting severe damage on the many Pokes that are weak to it, such as Jellicent, Reuniclus, and Latios. Hidden Power Fighting rounds out its coverage, scoring super-effective hits on Tyranitar and Heatran, which otherwise laugh at Chandelure. Trick is a nasty little secret weapon, courtesy of BW2. When Chandy doesn't need its Speed anymore, it can cripple a wall that would be problematic for my team.

This eerie chandelier acts as a revenge killer for the most part, but it can also abuse its handy immunities to Normal, Fighting, and Fire to enter the match unscathed and kill things. In fact, it was included mainly for those immunities, especially the one to Fire. That and favoritism. What can I say? I love Chandy. I especially love it when it's sunny and Chandy comes in on a Fire move. The sheer power of its Fire Blast then is just EVIL. It actually gets me doing a maniacal laugh when Chandelure engulfs all opposition in an all-consuming gout of hellfire! ...Ah, I get too engorged in these matches. XD

134.gif

Mermaidman
the Vaporeon

Bold / Leftovers / Water Absorb
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Sp. Defense

Scald
Protect
Wish
Heal Bell
This is the biggest defensive pivot on my team, and it does a great job at providing support, which is why it's here. Scald prevents it from being completely crippled by Taunt, and it also spreads burns. Protect allows it to scout the opponent's move, force said opponent to endure another turn of its burn, and even shield Vaporeon as it waits to be healed by Leftovers and Wish. Wish, by the way, is its biggest support move, and with those huge 232-HP Wishes, it can easily heal anything on my team, often up to full HP! Heal Bell also ensures that my team isn't afraid of status conditions; if you think you've forever crippled my Metagross by burning it or paralyzing it, think again.

Water is definitely a great defensive type. Those resistences to Fire, Water, Ice, and Steel help my team big-time, and they afford Vaporeon numerous opportunities to enter the match with hardly a scratch. It's also great when it comes to fending off Rain teams, since Water Absorb allows it to heal from those otherwise painful Water moves that are so often thrown around. The Electric weakness hurts, but in the case of a Choiced Poke (like Wash Rotom), Donphan can easily cover for it.

227.gif

ハガネタカ
(Haganetaka)
the Skarmory

Impish / Shed Shell / Sturdy
252 HP / 232 Defense / 24 Speed

Drill Peck
Roost
Stealth Rock
Roar
Every seasoned Standard OU player should know exactly what Skarmory does just by looking at it. This metallic condor takes physical hits quite well, sets up Stealth Rock to gradually weaken the opposing team, and juggles opposing Pokemon around on top of those Rocks with Roar. Roar also potentially puts an abrupt end to a boosted sweeper's fun, especially if Skarmory has full HP to survive any hit with Sturdy. Roost is a valuable move that allows the bird to take hit after hit after hit. Drill Peck stops it from being completely crippled by Taunt, and it also puts quite a lot of pressure on Grass- and Fighting-types, especially Breloom and Virizion. I went with Drill Peck because Brave Bird's recoil isn't very manageable without Leftovers. Shed Shell is the item of choice to prevent the ever-menacing Magnezone from trapping Skarmory.

Skarmory's main purpose on this team is to set up Stealth Rock, since that entry hazard is a valuable weapon that can easily assist in breaking down a team. If I see a team with no Spinner, I often send Skarmory out first to lay that haunting hazard right away. Of course, I should point out: this could be due in large part to the absence of Leftovers, but its performance as a physical wall has been rather underwhelming, and for that reason, Skarmory has probably the least merit in my team. I guess I only really included it for both the Rocks and the phazing. It does a good enough job with those, but still...

So that's the team I've been having so much success with as of late. Feel free to tear it apart rate it, as we do in these threads. XD

Importable:
Bahkendov (Salamence) @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Terminator (Metagross) @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- ThunderPunch
- Rock Polish

Maximus (Donphan) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Shard

オニビカリ (Chandelure) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power Fighting

Mermaidman (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

ハガネタカ (Skarmory) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Drill Peck
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Last edited:
Cool team, and congrats on getting so high on the ladder!

I love the Metagross set. I don't really see too much Metagross anymore so it's cool to see him around.

This looks like a very interesting team! It's also a relief to see you have one Pokemon not within the "OU range" (Chandelure), because those teams are, frankly, boring to look at. Speaking of Chandelure, it's interesting to see you put Will-O-Wisp instead of the commonly used Energy Ball. I suppose it's not as needed as in its current tier (because of the Water-types). Other honours go to Donphan, for the creative use of Fire Fang, and Metagross, for the use of Rock Polish combined with some unorthodox moves.

Thanks for reading.

I like the team very much but I would give metagross bullet punch instead of thunderpunch. I know, Gyarados can be really annoying, and very few pokemon on this team can learn any electric type moves but a priority move comes first (literaly). Although it's weaker, both Bahkendov and Maximus can learn thunder fang.

Roar's decreased priority can make skarmory a bit harder to handle, but sturdy can make up for that, good thinking.

With it's speed and the fact it has a life orb I would suggest Bahkendov as a primary sweeper then use metagross as a tank afterwards.

Btw is this for singles or doubles?

I understand that you'd like to see Metagross strike first, but that's what Rock Polish was put there for in the first place, XD. After one RP, it hits a rather startling 498 Speed, outspeeding everything up to Choice Scarf Landorus.

Thunder Fang is a rather weak move, and the only Pokemon that would take more from that than from Salamence's and Donphan's STABs (at least that I can think of) is Gyarados. I only included Fire Fang on Donphan because there are so many Pokemon in BW OU with a gigantic weakness to Fire, and two of them (Ferrothorn and Forretress) are geared towards setting up hazards.

I guess Salamence could be considered a primary sweeper of sorts, but I prefer to call it a battering ram. That Draco Meteor destroys things like Gliscor, which can cause Metagross some serious problems. The reason I don't have Ice Punch on Metagross is because without ThunderPunch, Gyarados poses the very real threat of sweeping my entire team.

And this is definitely for Singles.

That's okay of it's singles, Priority moves can become more of a threat in doubles because you can land 2 consecutive hits to destroy a pokemon with sturdy/focus item.
Also, is that an event Salamence?

No, it's not. Outrage is a tutor move in Platinum, just so you know.

I definitely like this team. It's a new spin on old favorites. Plus I love seeing a OU team without a Terrakion or Landorus in sight.

Or hitmontop, or togekiss w: air slash,
Actually I've seen so many people with the exact same party:

1-Hitmontop
2-Metagross
3-Togekiss
4-Rotom (usually wash form but sometimes microwave or mow)
5-Non-uber legendary of choice (eg: Creselia, Suicune or zapdos)
6-Dragon type Pseudo-legendary of choice.

I mean seriously, CAN YOU GUYS GET ANY LESS IMAGINATIVE!!
I actually find it a relief to fight someone with an in-game team or a legit (non terrakion/aron) strategy.
Although you have two of the above mentioned pokemon you mix things up with more interesting ones as well.

Edit:
Add Latios/Latias and heatran to the list of non-Ubers.

Last edited:
This team is weak to Lilligant.

Nice team man! Congrats on your success. I'll rate it later.

O.O
Woah!
Clowncrete has an exellent point!
1/3 of your party is weak to grass and another 1/3 is weak to fire! If you face a team with all the starter types you have 100% of your pokemon with a weakness! (most water types can learn ice beam or blizzard which is Supereffective on Salamence, Donphan and normal on Skarmory, then water is good on chandelure.)
You have some good moves as backup (thunderpunch for water, fire blast + drill peck for grass, and earthquake x2 and scald for fire) a well done rain team could mow down a large percentage of your party.

Btw. When you use Bahkendov in battle use him first. you don't want to be forced to rely on a life orb fighter as backup, he also can only use Draco Meteor effectivly once (maybe twice) because of the Sp.Atk cut. You also don't want to have the last member of your team confused. Your best choice to start would be Bahkendov + Haganetaka (to avoid any accidental earthquake kills). Your Haganetaka would lay down it's stealth rocks and allow Bahkendov to sweep. Finally a quick suggestion, teach bahkendov protect (and get rid of one of it's dragon type moves) so that you can block any ice type moves on the first turn, then use Hagataka to switch the ice/water/dragon types out. Protect is also useful because it is not uncommon for opponents to gangbeat the pseudo-legendary on the first turn so a nice block can keep Bahkendov alive long enough to see what your opponent is planning.

All I can say is great team, you may need to do what ^this guy said and check your coverage though, super effective moves make all the difference in competitibe battling. Other than that I see great energy between the team its a great team in all.

Although I'm repeating myself a bit I would like to put this out as a general tip to all people making competitive teams.

Protect can NEVER be given to too many party members. Protect is the near-perfect "safety" move. Yes, dealing as much damage as possible is important but stopping your opponent from doing just that, is equally important. Protect is best given to pokemon that can benifit (eg: Frerrothorn with leech seeded opponents + ingrain) but it can also be used to find an opponent's strategy without taking damage (and also avoid any irritating tech-boosted fake-outs) which is very VERY useful for entry sweepers (sutch as Salamance).

Never Under estimate defence (which can also be said for offence, speed, and HP, but nobody's perfect)

Btw. When you use Bahkendov in battle use him first. you don't want to be forced to rely on a life orb fighter as backup, he also can only use Draco Meteor effectivly once (maybe twice) because of the Sp.Atk cut. You also don't want to have the last member of your team confused. Your best choice to start would be Bahkendov + Haganetaka (to avoid any accidental earthquake kills). Your Haganetaka would lay down it's stealth rocks and allow Bahkendov to sweep. Finally a quick suggestion, teach bahkendov protect (and get rid of one of it's dragon type moves) so that you can block any ice type moves on the first turn, then use Hagataka to switch the ice/water/dragon types out. Protect is also useful because it is not uncommon for opponents to gangbeat the pseudo-legendary on the first turn so a nice block can keep Bahkendov alive long enough to see what your opponent is planning.

Dude, this is not a doubles team. I understand that what you are saying would be correct for doubles but it wouldn't apply to Sharking's team.
@SharKing;

One of the primary reasons of this team's success would be the unconventional sets. Fire Fang on Donphan is cruel as I discovered. Very few people see a mixmoxie mence coming and that dude just rips every team apart. WoW on chandy is another nasty surprise. You have some problems with stall, but I think any change would be detrimental to the team's synergy.

Anyway, did you post this at smogon?

^ No, I didn't yet. Though I just might if I hit 1500.

Also, a note: I got curious and did some calculations with Metagross's Speed, and I found that with 40 more Speed EVs (raising the total to 244), it hits 260 Speed, or 520 after a Rock Polish, which is just enough to outrun Jolly Max Speed Choice Scarf Terrakion (519 Speed)! Good thing; that thing annoys me. I went ahead and made that enthusiastic change. Sacrificing only 10 HP to outrun CS Terrakion? Yes, please.

Have you had alot of success with the team Like I think you have? Any Good Mentionable Battles?

I have. You see that my record with it so far is 1455 points on the ladder, and right now, after many, MANY battles since, I'm still sitting at 1419. As for mentionable battles, I just posted one in my blog, there was another one some time ago where I 6-0'd Lord Clowncrete (I forgot to save the log, but the battle's mentioned in CC's blog page of the second, less-than-successful battle), and I've tweeted numerous times on how the awesomeness of Chandelure got me out of sticky situations. XD

Awesome!!! After I looked over your team a while back I put a HP Fighting Chandelure on one of my teams and it works extremely well!!!! I am glad you have had a lot of success with this team. It is one of the best I have saw in a while!!

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom