• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Shiny Pokémon with the Pokéradar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel for you. The number of times I got into the 30s while chaining Roselia today, only to have it broken by a Pichu is enough to make me tear my hair out. I still have yet to get a chain up to 40, but I've found that experience and lots and lots of radar resetting is helping.

EDIT: Question to all of those who are good at chaining... Do you encounter seemingly random chain-breakage? Or am I doing something wrong each time my chain breaks?

Last edited:
Success! I finally got a shiny this way, a Slowpoke. I almost didn't walk into the patch of grass, because it was right beside my character. But I thought it looked odd, and my current chain was small (less than 10), so I gambled. And voila, purplely Slowpoke!

I think I just got lucky, but it's at least a start. I only wish I'd had similar luck after my chain of 21 Spoink...

Congrats! Both the shinies I've got so far have been similar: chain nowhere near 40. It's really satisfying either way, though

UPDATE: I am victorious! Shiny Larvitar is mine! All Mine! I stopped extending the chain at 37, my longest yet, and just started scanning, and 30 super repels later I was winner!

Last edited:
Question to all of those who are good at chaining... Do you encounter seemingly random chain-breakage? Or am I doing something wrong each time my chain breaks?

I'm not good at chaining, but many guides say, that sometimes the chain breaks without any reason. :/

Yeah... but many guides give rules that others don't, or lack information that other guides have. For instance, most of the guides that I've read maintain that there are only 3 kinds of grass: shaking, sparkling, and shiny. Whereas Shuuko correctly points out that there are many subtle differences between different shaking and sparkling patches.

In other words, I'm hoping for more information from people who consistently get to 40, so that I can hopefully manage it as well, rather than relying on information that I have no way of knowing if it's actually accurate.

My chain got broken by a random shiny Cacnea in the desert route when I wanted a shiny Rhydon

I agree that there are far more than 3 types of shaking grass. and yes I get to 40 very often but still have breaker patches thrown in out of no where that break my chain. Chaining is frustrating and annoying but worth it

Day later edit since this thread isn't very active //

Working on chaining snubbull right now who are swarming in my pearl game. Have about an hour left until it is midnight and they stop swarming. I have gotten 3 chains to about 25 now and they keep breaking on patches that they shouldn't be breaking on :( I swear route 209 is just an evil place to chain, as I remember having a hard as hell time getting Gastly, I never did get my gastly chain up to 40, in the end I just got lucky and got an early shiny patch (at 7! Can you believe it?) and just stopped trying after that. So wish me luck, so hopefully in less than an hour I will get atleast one shiny Snubbull

Last edited:
I had a bad luck streak lately when my DS froze when I had a Larvitar chain at 40, then the next day a 31 chain of Hypno broke. Yesterdays chain was Pinsir again but today was Natu. I got unlucky though because the shiny patch was on the edge and it broke the chain :(

There's always tomorrow to look forward to! I hope it's something cool like Phanpy :3

Today I am going after Solrock, not sure for how long though as I have tried several times already and can't get it past 20 without something breaking it :(

I did manage to get 3 shiny snubbull on my chain last night, started resetting at 38 and found my first shiny patch within 45 minutes, the next one came only 3 resets after the first! The third took a lot more time though, had to do about 15 resets to get it. Decided that since I can't trade them away anymore that I didn't need more than three. One for evolving, one for staying a snubbull and another for the off chance that snubbull ever gets another evolution.

Edit // sometimes it seems some pokemon just refused to be chained. Another failed attempt at Solrock for me. At first I couldn't get it past 20(Got about 4 chains to twenty and had them break) Then I was getting to 25 easily then having them break (3 times) now I have had the last 2 chains break on me at 30. This last break that just happened was on a 4-7 too, looked totally good, had no doubts about it breaking, and a damn starly pops out instead of a solrock :( It's time for bed

Last edited:
I reached a chain of 44 Skitty last night (a new personal best) at about 11PM. I proceeded to do nothing but reset the radar for 50 minutes. The swarm ends at midnight, my eyes are starting to hurt, and I feel ready to snap my DS in half.

Then the shiny patch finally appeared, at about 11:55. Caught a shiny Skitty in a Quick Ball and then saved and went to bed (it would've been really nice if I'd had time to try for a second, but I guess my game had other ideas). I'm still not sure if the aggravation was worth it. xD;

And yet later today, I know I'll go back to it.

Moonstone, if you are on a chain on a swarm at midnight I'm pretty sure that pokemon doesn't disappear at midnight, it disappears when the chain breaks

I have a question aswell if anyone knows ; Is it possible to find a shiny roaming legendary in a shiny patch while chaining?

Moonstone, if you are on a chain on a swarm at midnight I'm pretty sure that pokemon doesn't disappear at midnight, it disappears when the chain breaks

I have a question aswell if anyone knows ; Is it possible to find a shiny roaming legendary in a shiny patch while chaining?

the roamers have shininess set when you first let them loose & it's unaffected by the pokeradar

...Really? D'oh! :banghead:

Well, no matter. The Skitties will return someday in the future and I can try again. Maybe.

Since my last post, I've successfully chained Shinx, Cubone and Machop. I'm getting slightly better at this, I think, though shiny Mareep still eludes me.

...Really? D'oh! :banghead:

Well, no matter. The Skitties will return someday in the future and I can try again. Maybe.

Since my last post, I've successfully chained Shinx, Cubone and Machop. I'm getting slightly better at this, I think, though shiny Mareep still eludes me.

I consider myself pretty good at chaining and for some reason Mareep doesn't want to come to me either. I haven't tried that many times though. I FINALLY got that stupid fucking solrock though. Seriously have never had a worse time chaining than this solrock. I had several chains break on me and I just couldn't get past 35. Finally I managed to get an early shiny on 37, then another one at 40 and called it good. I damn near broke out my AR just to get one, but then I wouldn't be able to look at them the same as my other shinys :(

Hey this method is amazing. Before I even knew about this chaining thing, I caught a shiny Krabby with this method. Then I really wanted a shiny Ponyta, and found out about this method so I gave it a try and it worked. I got the Krabby in SoulSilver, when I found a fishing spot where 99% of the time high leveled Krabby showed up, so I used it as a training spot. Then after a couple hours of training and a lot of long chains, I got my shiny Krabby. Then, in Diamond I used the method on this thread and I mostly got chains around 7, the highest I got was 14. On the chain I got my shiny Ponyta it was actually very early on in the chain. I got it on the 2nd Ponyta of the chain, from the patch of grass that sparkles twice dramatically. Don't get me wrong it was hard work I tried for 4 days to get that Ponyta, but to anyone who wants a shiny it is worth the wait. As well, this method is the way to go when wanting to catch a shiny.

Man this thread is dying with Gen 5 out no one cares about chaining, I really wish there was a pokeradar in gen 5 D:

anyways! I have put down chaining for awhile, but after seeing a picture of a shiny Lickitung I wanted to check my swarm! Ended up being Magnemite and I really <3 shiny magnemite. But I ran into a hoppip first so pink Jumpluff here I come :D

when i used my pokeradar i found a shiny geodude in the start...
and i didn't use any cheating devices and i think it is a little bit luck of that...

Hi and hello,This morning when I went chaining for shiny nosepass(Swarming Pokemon)I had a chain of 22 then I think I went into the wrong patch of grass and my chain broke,so sad :(
I tried again at my cousin's house and got a chain of 20 and didn't know that there was a patch behind me,after I saw that my chain broke I started to the F word.....

Last edited:
I'm trying to chain for a shiny Houndour in Platinum and I only get up to 20 do you guys have any tips for that?

I did it. After a chain of 14 I caught a shiny Mareep. However i didn't notice a change in colour of sparkle. What is it supposed to look like?

Well,when you reset the rader,for the shiny at 40,you will see 'THE PATCH',when you go into a patch thats not 'THE PATCH' ands its a shiny,then its a random shiny.

in short
you encounted is a 'random shiny'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom