• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

is poke transfer an option for me at this point?

Is the number of Pokemon you fight the most relevant thing when EV training?

I'm starting to get into the world of EV training, and I made a little experiment.

I picked a Lvl 29 female mild Litwick for the experiment, in Black 2. Then, I trained it in 3 different ways (the exact same pokemon for each one, I used an emulator for the experiment and 3 different save states):

- The first method was the common method. I didn't gave it anything, just leveled it up.
- The second was to give it feathers to rise it's EVs.
- The third, I also made her hold a Macho brace to double the gained EVs in battle.

Those are the stats before the feathers:

STATIVEV
HP291
ATTACK293
DEFENCE30
SPECIAL A.00
SPECIAL DEF30
SPEED232

For the second and third part of the experiments, I gave it the following feathers:

• Health Wing x 10
    Genius Wing x 10
    Resist Wing x 7
    Swift Wing x 6
    Clever Wing x 8

Then, for the first (not EV trained) Litwick, I made him fight against the following pokemon to level up:

1. SWADLOON LVL 26
  2. SWADLOON LVL 26
  3. DEERLING LVL 25
  4. SHELMET LVL 23
  5. SWADLOON LVL 26

The results of the lvl up were:

+ 2 HP (78)
+ 1 ATTACK (31)
+ 2 DEF (35)
+ 2 SPECIAL A. (48)
+ 2 SPECIAL D. (47)
+ 0 SPEED (23)

However, the results for the other two were much different. First of all, they leveled up faster. They also got less stats upgrades, but the results were almost the same.

For the second Litwick, I made it fight a Level 23 Deerling and two level 26 Swadloon. The following changes happen:

+ 3 HP (79)
+ 1 ATTACK (31)
+ 1 DEF (35)
+ 1 SPECIAL A. (48)
+ 1 SPECIAL D. (47)
+ 1 SPEED (24)

And for the third one with the macho brace, I made him fight a lvl 26 Tranquill, a lvl 25 Deerling, and a lvl 26 Swadloon. The following changes happen:

+ 3 HP (79)
+ 1 ATTACK (32)
+ 1 DEF (35)
+ 1 SPECIAL A. (48)
+ 1 SPECIAL D. (47)
+ 1 SPEED (24)

So, the second Litwick rised a level faster than the first one (I understand that the third one did earlier because the Tranquill gave me more EXP), but got less stat bonus despite the feathers (Except for the extra HP and Speed) because of this. Did the first one got more stat bonus because I had to fight more pokemon to level up? Also, why did it level up faster than the first one? I'm kind of confused right now...

im at post game in my white. So poke transfer doesn't work for transfering pokemon from white to black 2? Also, for the shiny charm, will it still count as completing the national dex if a trade pokemon from white to black 2 and then trade each pokemon back to their original places?

im at post game in my white. So poke transfer doesn't work for transfering pokemon from white to black 2? Also, for the shiny charm, will it still count as completing the national dex if a trade pokemon from white to black 2 and then trade each pokemon back to their original places?

Yes, that counts and I have been doing the same thing for Pokedex work myself and have gotten many entries that way.

PokeTransfer is only for transfering from Gen 4 games. It is not needed for White to Black 2 because those games are fully capable of trading with each other.

ok...um will something bad happen to either game if I try to use poke transfer in order not to have to catch 400 pokemons in Black 2 and trade/swap them with my white version game?

ok...um will something bad happen to either game if I try to use poke transfer in order not to have to catch 400 pokemons in Black 2 and trade/swap them with my white version game?
It simply will not work. When you try to use it, it will tell you to insert Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold or Soul Silver. If you have White in there, it will tell you that no compatible game is inserted.

Soulsilver whirl islands cave items

Just where the man is who lets me past to go down to where Lugia and the Kimono girls are, I saw two items, but they are blocked off, I noticed a ladder. Can anyone tell me where to find the ladder that goes down, so I can pick up the two items, because they could be anything and I won't want to miss them.

Re: Soulsilver whirl islands cave items

Top right island entry. Then upin entry go the upper right direction. Rest should be simple.

Help with Medal

Which Pokemon and why you recommend for the winning of the Psychic-type Champ Medal in White 2?

Re: Is the number of Pokemon you fight the most relevant thing when EV training?

I'm starting to get into the world of EV training, and I made a little experiment.

I picked a Lvl 29 female mild Litwick for the experiment, in Black 2. Then, I trained it in 3 different ways (the exact same pokemon for each one, I used an emulator for the experiment and 3 different save states):

- The first method was the common method. I didn't gave it anything, just leveled it up.
- The second was to give it feathers to rise it's EVs.
- The third, I also made her hold a Macho brace to double the gained EVs in battle.

Those are the stats before the feathers:

STATIVEV
HP291
ATTACK293
DEFENCE30
SPECIAL A.00
SPECIAL DEF30
SPEED232

For the second and third part of the experiments, I gave it the following feathers:

• Health Wing x 10
    Genius Wing x 10
    Resist Wing x 7
    Swift Wing x 6
    Clever Wing x 8

Then, for the first (not EV trained) Litwick, I made him fight against the following pokemon to level up:

1. SWADLOON LVL 26
  2. SWADLOON LVL 26
  3. DEERLING LVL 25
  4. SHELMET LVL 23
  5. SWADLOON LVL 26

The results of the lvl up were:

+ 2 HP (78)
+ 1 ATTACK (31)
+ 2 DEF (35)
+ 2 SPECIAL A. (48)
+ 2 SPECIAL D. (47)
+ 0 SPEED (23)

However, the results for the other two were much different. First of all, they leveled up faster. They also got less stats upgrades, but the results were almost the same.

For the second Litwick, I made it fight a Level 23 Deerling and two level 26 Swadloon. The following changes happen:

+ 3 HP (79)
+ 1 ATTACK (31)
+ 1 DEF (35)
+ 1 SPECIAL A. (48)
+ 1 SPECIAL D. (47)
+ 1 SPEED (24)

And for the third one with the macho brace, I made him fight a lvl 26 Tranquill, a lvl 25 Deerling, and a lvl 26 Swadloon. The following changes happen:

+ 3 HP (79)
+ 1 ATTACK (32)
+ 1 DEF (35)
+ 1 SPECIAL A. (48)
+ 1 SPECIAL D. (47)
+ 1 SPEED (24)

So, the second Litwick rised a level faster than the first one (I understand that the third one did earlier because the Tranquill gave me more EXP), but got less stat bonus despite the feathers (Except for the extra HP and Speed) because of this. Did the first one got more stat bonus because I had to fight more pokemon to level up? Also, why did it level up faster than the first one? I'm kind of confused right now...

While a Pokemon may have 510 (maximum) EVS, it doesn't mean they will show as stat points right away. Remember 4 EVs = 1 stat point. And at Level 50, a Pokemon only half of those EVs applied (they all won't be applied till level 100). Those feathers you gave it won't do anything. That's only around 2 stat points max and they don't get applied as soon as the Pokemon levels up; rather, they get spread out through it's levelling up right through to 100.

Also, Litwick is a stage 1 Pokemon. There are 3 stages to its evolution. This means Litwicks base stats (check bulbapedia, then compare Litwicks to Chandelure) will be very low and even without EV training, there will be little movement to its stats as you level it up. Whereas Chandelure might be clocking in stat increases of up to 4-5 in particular stats as it levels up because its base stats are much more significant.

You should also read about natures. And if you want to EV train properly you should start from scratch by breeding the Pokemon you want and training it from Level 1. (I don't know why, but that is the way the majority do it).

Re: Help with Medal

If going for solo, due to the dark-type's weakness to fighting and immunity to psychic, if doing a single-Pokémon run, I'd go with Gallade for the fighting STAB.

Re: Is the number of Pokemon you fight the most relevant thing when EV training?

@NinjiHaku;

You should also read about natures. And if you want to EV train properly you should start from scratch by breeding the Pokemon you want and training it from Level 1. (I don't know why, but that is the way the majority do it).

They do that because of IV breeding, you can EV Train any pokemon properly so long as you give it the necessary EV Reducing berries to give it a clean slate (unless it's freshly caught and hasn't been used in battle/fed any EV inducing items, in which case it already has a clean EV slate).

Finding Feebas Pearl/Diamond

I have been trying to get the last couple of Pokemon possible in Pearl & then from there decide how I want to proceed (its KILLING me thinking about just dropping all of these pokemon & beginning all over again on another game, unable to trade from any one to any other). So I've been trying to find Feebas lately & discovered how hard that is.

I read somewhere (probably on this site) that it can be found in that downstairs section of Mount Coronet. So that's where I am. Now what I don't understand is how they're saying something about how it moves to different places every day....? I am in this very large, square expanse of water with Gyarodos, Whiscash, Gyarodos, even some Zubat & more Gyarodos using surf and the fishing rod (great rod) but nothing. Moving around from one spot to another...switched out to the good rod & tried that a few times but then I just began catching Magikarp. I guess I have done this both with & without repels.

Any tips or info or anything? Thanks.

I want to make sure I'm doing this IV breeding right...as mine seems an awfully long-winded route at the moment.

The end result is to be an Adamant Snubbull with Close Combat from a Mankey father, and flawless IVs in at least Attack and Defense.

Getting the original IVs was easy as I already have Adamant Snubbulls with 31 in Attack and a Mincinno (F) with 31 in Defense and Special Defense. As you know, Mincinno is in the Field group and can breed with Mankey and Snubbull.

This is my plan of action...

1. Breed Mankey (M) with the flawless Mincinno holding Power Belt (for Defense IV) until a Mincinno (M) is hatched with that IV. (I'm currently doing this step)
2. Breed that Mincinno (M) holding a Power Belt with Mankey (F) until a Mankey (F) is hatched with that flawless Defense IV as well.
3. Breed the original Mankey (M) with Close Combat with the newly hatched Mankey (F) holding Power Belt until a Mankey (M) with Close Combat and 31 Defense is hatched.
4. Finally, make the newly hatched Mankey (M) with CC hold Power Belt and breed it with the Adamant Snubbull (F) with 31 Attack holding Everstone until Adamant Snubbull with flawless Attack and Defense IVs is hatched.

GAAAH! Is there not a quicker, easier way? Apart from the Mankey v Mankey combo, all of these breeding combinations are going to be the lowest success rate for an egg (the two don't seem to like each other much). It's going to take so long. I don't NEED perfect IVs, but since I have them in my group I might as well use them. It's a shame because part of the breeding involves passing down a move, there doesn't seem to be an option to include the flawless Special Defense IV as well. Is there? Or is passing down three IVs asking for trouble?

EDIT: Well, it is finished. And it didn't take as long as I thought. The end result is very good all things considered. A bit lacking in Special Defense, but makes up for it in HP.

Snubbull - Outstanding Potential
HP 28-29
ATK 31
DEF 31
Sp ATK 29
Sp DEF 15-19
SPEED 29

Last edited:
Re: Finding Feebas Pearl/Diamond

I have been trying to get the last couple of Pokemon possible in Pearl & then from there decide how I want to proceed (its KILLING me thinking about just dropping all of these pokemon & beginning all over again on another game, unable to trade from any one to any other). So I've been trying to find Feebas lately & discovered how hard that is.

I read somewhere (probably on this site) that it can be found in that downstairs section of Mount Coronet. So that's where I am. Now what I don't understand is how they're saying something about how it moves to different places every day....? I am in this very large, square expanse of water with Gyarodos, Whiscash, Gyarodos, even some Zubat & more Gyarodos using surf and the fishing rod (great rod) but nothing. Moving around from one spot to another...switched out to the good rod & tried that a few times but then I just began catching Magikarp. I guess I have done this both with & without repels.

Any tips or info or anything? Thanks.

Feebas will show up in four random tiles when you fish on them. However, the four tiles it will show up on change every day, requiring you to start over if you don't find one the first day. Also worth noting is that Feebas only have a 35% chance of showing up even if you're on the right tile, so it's recommend to fish until you find around 5 or so Pokémon on the tile so you don't skip over one of the correct ones.

As for items, the type of rod you use will not matter for Feebas, at it will show up for every one of them with the same probability. Repels don't really matter unless you simply want to stop the Zubats and Golbats from appearing as you surf from tile to tile (repels don't affect fishing).

As a final tip, if you do happen to know other people with DPPt, and you mix records with them using the wireless connection features at the Pokémon Center, for the rest of the day, your random tiles and their random tiles will be the same, allowing you to work together to find the correct tiles.

can someone tell about shiny RE thing that i've been seeing on youtube? how does it work?

can someone tell about shiny RE thing that i've been seeing on youtube? how does it work?

Random Encounter you mean or RNG Abuse? Regular random encounters is just simply people running into a shiny Pokemon. Any Pokemon(unless it's programmed to never be shiny, though usually only event Pokemon are) can be encountered shiny in game(there are exceptions, such as Reshiram and Zekrom in BW and BW2 and Victini at the Liberty Garden event, those are shiny locked)

i mean random encounter in order to find a shiny more easier. in the videos i see the person running back and forth and then a shiny shows up. i would like to know more about this technique...the do's and don't's

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom