• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM087: A Crisis in Alola! The Darkness that Devours Radiance!!

So instead of bringing Cassidy and Butch back they decided to create this random Team Rocket squad that we will never hear from again after the whole Necrozma issue is over. Talk about wasted potential.

You mean the two members of Team Rocket whose relevancy slowly dwindled over time to the point where we haven't seen them in literally a decade? Not sure how that's any better.

I'm just glad Matori's doing something of importance for once. And Alolan Meowth's there with her.

You mean the two members of Team Rocket whose relevancy slowly dwindled over time to the point where we haven't seen them in literally a decade? Not sure how that's any better.

I'm just glad Matori's doing something of importance for once. And Alolan Meowth's there with her.
This would've been a great time to bring them back for once but nope. This and the Team Rocket VS Team Plasma episodes are the only times I can think of in which their return would be appropriate.

So, you would prefer them to just use Makoto and Souji for return-to-Kanto episodes, instead of bringing back Kasumi and Takeshi?

So, you would prefer them to just use Makoto and Souji for return-to-Kanto episodes, instead of bringing back Kasumi and Takeshi?

Alternate continuity, not the same thing.

Also, does it really matter? Cassidy and Botulism are just discount Jessie and James to begin with.

Last edited:
For some reason this episode reminded me of the climax of PMD: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky where the planet is slowly becoming paralyzed and you & your partner are climbing Temporal Tower to return the Time Gears before it's too late.

Can't wait for the English subs!

Alternate continuity, not the same thing.

Also, does it really matter? Cassidy and Botulism are just discount Jessie and James to begin with.
Botch and Cassidy were most prominent during the original series, where they served as the more competent Rocket duo to balance out Jessie and James's less than stellar performances in their jobs (and also to act their rivals). During the Advanced Generation, they were still kinda prominent, but most of their spotlight appearances were reserved for the Pokémon Chronicles. In Sinnoh, they appeared exactly once, most probably to go with Generation IV's theme as a whole of building up new stuff based on older materials. I see that this was due to Jessie and James actually becoming somewhat more competent, especially compared to the Advanced Generation, where they were usually reduced to joke character status.

And finally, in the Best Wishes series, the other duo was completely absent, most likely duo to Jessie and James becoming actually competent and serious in their job, thus eliminating the need of having them being compared to a more successful Rocket duo. And even though the Rocket trio went back to their bit more goofier ways in XY, Biff and Cassidy remained absent, which could be attributed to the same reason why Iris didn't make a reappearance during that series: the creators just kind of forgot to make any connections to the previous series.

Given these facts, it's completely possible that Hutch and Cassidy will be absent during the Sun & Moon series, given their lengthy streak of absence already, but it's also completely possible that they will reappear, given this series' habit of bringing back long-forgotten elements of the show, like Jigglypuff.

He means those characters were never introduced in the TV series and probably don't exist in it at all where as Cassidy and Biff have appeared and thus do exist in the TV series
Which is exactly what my point was? Creating new TR characters instead of using already established ones is like introducing Makoto to the anime's continuity, instead of bringing Kasumi back, for Kanto two-parter.

During the scene where Solgaleo and Lunala are in the Ultra Wormhole and Necrozma appears behind them this is basically what they are saying
Solgaleo (turns to face Necrozma): You interrupting cockblocker
Necrozma (attacking): I'm gonna eat you
Solgaleo: What? (attack hits smashing Solgaleo into the wall of the Ultra Wormhole)
Lunala: Darling
Necrozma: You're next

The Black Ranger has arrived!
No not Black Ranger.
Ultra Emergency! Ultra Guardian Shadow Ranger!

@FinnishPokéFan92
That because, it all already written. If there is a city there, Ultra Recon Squad should had make the entry of the series long before this episode occurred.
Unless, they intend to have this arc end with Necrozma returning to its Ultra Necrozma form and then have the Ultra Recon Squad appear as bad guys for the next arc who want to use Ultra Necrozma's power to take over the universe

What's their obsession with slow-paced exposition-filled episodes that take place in the Altar of the Sunne? I felt like the adults watching this one...I may get a better impression of it with subs, as it seems we got some nice Aether moments. :love:

I don't understand why some say "those should've been Butch and Cassidy" when Team Rocket members from Kanto are sent on a mission. The episodes would have to focus on them as characters, instead of TR as a criminal organization in general. On top of that, judging from their last appearances, I'm not sure if Cassidy and Butch could be seen as an actual threat at this point.

Gozu at least looks threatening so far and Matori is obviously one of the highest ranked members. Cassidy and Botch were rarely played up to be anything more than just "better than Jessie and James" by the AG-DP era, which can't even be considered true at this point since Giovanni doesn't seem to hate the TRio as he did in the early seasons.

My main point is, yeah, Vutch and Cassidy still have potential and they should bring them back someday. Just not like this, appearing out of nowhere to fill in for standard grunt roles.

Is it just me, or is the symbol Poipole drew slightly different from when it was shown in the first preview?
Indeed, they redrew it so it looks more "splashy", like actual paint now. They also toned down the shadow (the previous one looked like it was floating).
wmU1XDl.png

Who's voicing the Principal?
It's still Ishizuka. According to an official statement, they had recorded up to the first October episode, so we're going to be hearing him until around SM093.

Actually they revealed her name in SM12. And this has been said many times before. I am tired that you always hate on SM, no greninja is not gonna return. If you dont like it, that is fine, but dont spread negativity on this forum.
They only "revealed" it through closed captions, which are not 100% reliable. Her name is still always removed for the English script, even in that episode and afterwards. Also you complain about negativity but you're directly attacking him by bringing up Greninja. That's not very nice either.

Last edited:
Unless, they intend to have this arc end with Necrozma returning to its Ultra Necrozma form and then have the Ultra Recon Squad appear as bad guys for the next arc who want to use Ultra Necrozma's power to take over the universe
@zeroxros7
If they should appears. It will be before this episode occurred. Also as for your question. Their ancestor might had already did and suffered the wrath of Blinding One. Which already seen at the beginning that location breaking out it own prism crystal-like structure to chase Solgaleo and Lunala. That place is definitely Ultra Megalopolis, which share the similar landscape from Poipole dream scene during in episode 84. But we still not confirmed yet until in Episode 89 and beyond.

I find the entire Ultra Aura thing really contrived. Plus the way they speak of Necrozma is basically the opposite of how it was described in the games. I know that they often take some liberties, but it really ruins Necrozma's lore.

I find the entire Ultra Aura thing really contrived. Plus the way they speak of Necrozma is basically the opposite of how it was described in the games. I know that they often take some liberties, but it really ruins Necrozma's lore.
For me, it makes sense. It's basically a black hole that's absorbing energy/light to restore its former power.

For me, it makes sense. It's basically a black hole that's absorbing energy/light to restore its former power.

Necrozma feeds off of light and the Ultra Aura is a type of light. In fact in the games its counter part is established to have originated from Necrozma, (The Wormhole power, Z moves... all of it!) thus it would make sense for him to be on that like a fat kid on pancakes!

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom