• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Subway Gravity Team RMT

jhoyt888

Reaction score
I just got into gravity teams so thought I might as well make one for the subway. Feel free to suggest other pokemon, since I have Gen 3 and 4 games, although I can't RNG for those generations. The strategy is to set up gravity, then either switch to the appropriate pokemon, or take one or two out with porygon then stall recover for five turns to set up gravity again, then switch to the appropriate pokemon. Have fun!

Porygon2@Eviolite
Trace, Bold
252 HP, 252 SpAtk, 4SpDef
Gravity
Thunder
Blizzard
Recover

Thanks to the increased accuracy under gravity Blizzard and Thunder now have 100% accuracy, making a mean boltbeam combo. Porygon2 has plenty of bulk with eviolite and recover so it shouldn't have a problem setting it up. Once gravity is up, I'll either attack with a move or switch in to another. One thing I'm not sure about is whether I should do this or a more supportive moveset. I could use status moves and stat-reducers since the AI isn't likely to switch during the battle. Although that would mean I would need to drop the boltbeam combo to accommodate for the other moves.

Heracross@Flame orb
Adamant, Guts
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Megahorn
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Facade

Heracross may be an overlooked pokemon, but it works great in gravity. It’s two main moves, Megahorn and Stone Edge, both have perfect accuracy. After Guts, not much can walk away unscathed from Megahorn. Earthquake is there instead of Close Combat because it hits everything under gravity, and can out speed and hit Skarmory hard, especially since the metal bird would otherwise pose a big problem. Facade has immense power with guts, boosted to 140 power disregarding the ability boost. I chose Adamant over Jolly on this because speed generally isn’t a big factor in the subway, since most pokemon the AI uses either have a neutral nature, or don’t have max EVs.

Thundurus@Life Orb
Timid, Prankster
252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Nasty Plot
Thunder
Hidden Power Ice
Focus Blast

RNG is truly a wonderful thing. True, it is a bit more difficult for roamers, but still much easier than soft-resetting time and time again... anyways, I favor the speed nature on this one, only because I’ll probably want to use it in Random Match in the near future, where speed IS a big factor. Thunder over thunderbolt because of the accuracy boost, and because there’s no way to reverse gravity once it’s been established. If I switch in to this right away, I should have just enough turns to sweep the entire opponents team: one turn for the switch, one for Nasty Plot, and three for the pokemon. Pretty basic really.

This is one good team.

Close combat will hit most things harder than earthquake. and skarmory isn't common at all. so cc>eq.

Hey there, jhoyt888. I'm not very familiar with the Battle Subway, but this looks like a really good team. If you find speed to be an issue, you may want to run Thunder Wave > Focus Blast on Thundurus to help support the rest of your team. I imagine that Choice Scarf users could otherwise become a problem.

I also agree with Rutvik's suggestion of Close Combat > Earthquake on Heracross. Earthquake does hit all opponents under the effects of Gravity, but STAB Close Combat is probably more useful overall.

Thanks for the tips! I've been doing subway/frontier for a while because of a lack of wi-fi or a battle simulator. I don't think I should need thunder wave, since it seems whenever I look up threats they're always "malnourished" in the speed stat, but you never know, especially with Heracross and several fast flying types.

What do you think about Porygon? Should I keep the offensive set, or do something defensive?

Thanks for the tips! I've been doing subway/frontier for a while because of a lack of wi-fi or a battle simulator. I don't think I should need thunder wave, since it seems whenever I look up threats they're always "malnourished" in the speed stat, but you never know, especially with Heracross and several fast flying types.

What do you think about Porygon? Should I keep the offensive set, or do something defensive?

Offensive sets are the way to go in the subway.

Alright, thanks! One thing though, I just realized that since I was playing Black I got Tornadus instead of Thundurus. (don't ask) So I was wondering what you think of something like this instead of the thundercloud:

Tornadus@Life Orb
Timid, Prankster
252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Hurricane
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Ice
Dark Pulse

Same basic idea as Thundurus. Hurricane and Focus Blast have 100% accuracy under gravity, and Dark Pulse is just because I don't know what else to put there. (seeing as Taunt is kind of redundant in the Subway) So tell me what you think.

Alright, thanks! One thing though, I just realized that since I was playing Black I got Tornadus instead of Thundurus. (don't ask) So I was wondering what you think of something like this instead of the thundercloud:

Tornadus@Life Orb
Timid, Prankster
252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP
Hurricane
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Ice
Dark Pulse

Same basic idea as Thundurus. Hurricane and Focus Blast have 100% accuracy under gravity, and Dark Pulse is just because I don't know what else to put there. (seeing as Taunt is kind of redundant in the Subway) So tell me what you think.

I think it will do but you should remember that without boosting the damage output will be lower, but that shouldn't hurt too much I guess. You can use u turn (for the switching effect) instead of dark pulse at the loss of coverage which isn't too big a issue.(since hurricane will massacre anything which doesn't resist it.) I can't really think of any particular threat right now. Its a good team. Try it out and tell us if anything causes problems.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom