• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The International Dub Thread

So the dub opening will be leaked by then, along with the dub episode title, the background music and maybe the whole English audio if someone has access to double audio track and is able to record it.
The Thai dub (at least for OS/BW/XY/SM anyways) is based on the Japanese version with the original music/BGM, titles, opening/ending animations.

This thread has been inactive for almost a year now, so I think I'll revive it with a group of clips from the Finnish dub of season 1 (taken from reruns).
These don't sound half bad. Now I would like to share some of the old italian openings. Keep in mind that these are original openings made in Italy, and after the dub studios changed around 2009 they were replaced by direct translations of the 4kids/PUSA ones, as TPCI either wanted to standardize things worldwide or didn't want to buy the rights for the songs. I wonder if anyone here likes them.

Season 4 - Johto League Champions

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lPW0NaBxDkc

Season 5 - Master Quest

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry1ceQMahOQ

Season 6 - Advanced

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChPVTqlnsDs

Season 8 - Advanced Battle

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpGHPfAlUGU

Season 10 - Diamond and Pearl

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yxQqmozkeY&t=2s

Last edited:
These don't sound half bad. Now I would like to share some of the old italian openings. Keep in mind that these are original openings made in Italy, and after the dub studios changed around 2009 they were replaced by direct translations of the 4kids/PUSA ones, as TPCI either wanted to standardize things worldwide or didn't want to buy the rights for the songs. I would appreciate some feedback.
These slap :cool: Love them.

Here are all the Finnish themes from up to date. The second theme doesn't have a Finnish TV version, as the Orange Archipelago arc was skipped in Finland (the full version was used in the second movie). The third theme was taken straight from the third movie's opening, hence why it also contains the sound effects heard during it.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=JMtobhLsZGs

1. Pokémon-teema (Pokémon Theme)
  2. Pokémon-maa (Pokémon World)
  3. Uusi maailma sua oottaa (A New World is Waiting for You)
  4. Syntynyt oon voittaa (I've Born to Win)
  5. Kun vain uskon niin (When I Just Believe)
  6. Mä haluun kaikki voittaa (I Want to Beat Everyone)
  7. Tää unelmani kestää (This Dream of Mine Will Last)
  8. Oon voittamaton (I'm Invincible)
  9. Battle Frontier
  10. Diamond and Pearl
  11. Oot sankarimme (You're Our Hero)
  12. Näytä! Tie totuuden! (Show It! The Path of Truth!)
  13. Me voittoon ylletään (We Will Reach Victory)
  14. Mustavalkoinen (Black and White)
  15. Se kohtalomme on (It's Our Destiny)
  16. Yhteen kuulutaan (We Belong Together)
  17. Pokémon-teema (Pokémon Theme)
  18. Sankaruuteen (To Be a Hero)
  19. Aion mä voittaa (I Intend to Win)
  20. Alolan aurinkoon tuu (Come to the Alolan Sun)
  21. Loistossa Alolan kuun (In the Shine of the Alolan Moon)
  22. Elämän haasteeseen (To the Challenge of Life)
  23. Nyt matkaan lähdetään (The Journey Starts Now)

The third theme was taken straight from the third movie's opening, hence why it also contains the sound effects heard during it.
A similar thing happened here in Italy. Since, as I said before, we had our own openings, an italian version of "Pokémon Theme" didn't exist (and today it is still more associated with XY than to Indigo League) but we had this instead. So when the song was played in "Bye Bye Butterfree" it kept the english version. But when Movie 1 came out, we got a local version of it, albeit with some translation liberties. Thanks to that, when Pokémon theme was played again in "All Fired Up!", they slapped the movie version in it, and yes, you can hear the movie's sound effects. The Pokémon theme got an italian proper TV version in 2014, but it's kinda funny how we first got the movie version more than a decade before.

Last edited:
I was wondering, is the english dub the only one to update the "additional voices" section of the closing credits? Because in the italian dub they have a big, static version that gets used through all the season.
From what I've seen of the German dub of Journeys, that dub also does the same thing listing all of the VA's all at once as opposed to what the English dub does with crediting the voice actors in the episodes they are in.

Last edited:
From what I've seen of the German dub of Journeys, that dub also does the same thing listing all of the VA's all at once as opposed to what the English dub does with crediting the voice actors in the episodes they are in.
Nice to know, thanks.

Jessie's Latin American voice actor, Diana Pérez, passed away yesterday due to health issues. She was amazing.
I never even considered something this could happen. She was still pretty young and an active voice actor.

I've never felt this sad over an actor's death, I guess I'm just now realizing how much I love these characters and how they marked my childhood.
Seeing "Jessie" trending last night warmed my heart though, I'm glad so many people across Latin America fondly remember her and appreciate her work over the years. It makes me happy to see it wasn't just the more niche fans offering their condolences.

She voiced Jessie throughout the entirety of the show, it's going to be hard to see her colleagues having to go on as James and Meowth without her.
I can't find Team Rocket clips on YouTube like I used to, so I'll leave their version of Double Trouble. You can tell they had fun recording this, but to be fair they always did.

Here's them performing the motto live too. They'd been to a fair share of conventions. I wish I could've seen them.

The people on the front are Brock, Misty and Ash's voice actors. I love how they brought a Meowth plush in lieu of his VA.

James' VA is a busy fella, so he only joined for the introduction here to perform the motto. Misty and Brock's VAs show up afterwards.

Last edited:
Jessie's Latin American voice actor, Diana Pérez, passed away yesterday due to health issues. She was amazing.
I never even considered something this could happen. She was still pretty young and an active voice actor.

I've never felt this sad over an actor's death, I guess I'm just now realizing how much I love these characters and how they marked my childhood.
Seeing "Jessie" trending last night warmed my heart though, I'm glad so many people across Latin America fondly remember her and appreciate her work over the years. It makes me happy to see it wasn't just the more niche fans offering their condolences.

She voiced Jessie throughout the entirety of the show, it's going to be hard to see her colleagues having to go on as James and Meowth without her.
I can't find Team Rocket clips on YouTube like I used to, so I'll leave their version of Double Trouble. You can tell they had fun recording this, but to be fair they always did.

Here's them performing the motto live too. They'd been to a fair share of conventions. I wish I could've seen them.

What a sad day for the Latin America voiceover industry.

This is so sad. I heard so much about how amazing the Rocket TRio are in the Latin American Spanish dub that I’ve even watched a couple of episodes myself despite not knowing a word of Spanish, and they just sounded like they were having a party playing the TRio :cry:

So sad for her loved ones, her James/Meowth/Wobbuffet and of course for all her fans. May she rest in peace. The good ones are always gone too soon.

I know...The fact that she was in the show since the beginning and that she's the first main cast member to pass away really makes it feel that a part of the dub has died with her. I know I won't be able to watch a performance of her for a while. :cry:

Since Iris and Gary are returning in Season 24, and both didn't appear for years, how will your local dub handle that? The english version will for sure confirm Carter Cathcart as Gary, but it isn't clear if Eileen Stevens will return as Iris. Do you think your local dub will confirm the last voice actors who played them, or will they be recasted? In my case (Italy), I think both of them will have their voice actors back. Gary already received a new voice actor (Massimo di Benedetto) starting with DP - Battle Dimension, after the dub changed studios, also voicing him in the 2009 redub of Seasons 1-3. His other main roles were Drew in AG and Trip in BW. Since he didn't retire and his most recent role was in SM, I think he will return as Gary.

Last edited:
Do you think your local dub will confirm the last voice actors who played them, or will they be recasted?

Here in Latin America this is how it has happened:
  • Lance: Had an actor in OS and two other different actors in AG (don't ask why), they brought in the second one.
  • Korrina, Gurkinn and the Alola crew: All came back, thankfully.
  • Chuck: Had to be replaced because his voice actor passed away in 2011.
  • Mewtwo: His M1 voice actor passed away in 2004 so they used his M22 one, but with a strange voice filter which some have said sounds unrecognizable.
And for the future:
  • Iris, Drayden and Volkner: All 3 will likely came back because they're still active in the industry, specially in the company that makes the dub.
  • Gary: He had one voice during OS and many voices during AG & DP, needless to say the first one is the one we all love and remember, and he even participated in the 2014 redub of some episodes. He's not as active as in the past but I still think he'll be able to participate.
  • Dawn: Her return is obviously unconfirmed, but she's an interesting case. She was voiced by Gaby Ugarte in seasons 10, 11 & 13 and Leyla Rangel in season 12. Gaby moved to France in 2012, so Leyla voiced her in BW. Gaby still lives in France, but thanks to the pandemic she has come back to voice acting in Spanish as she records her lines from home and has done a couple roles since, so I'm hopeful she'll be able to voice Dawn again.

Back
Top Bottom