• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime The Japanese Culture Thread

There are places where blowing your nose in public isn't considered rude?

There are places where blowing your nose in public isn't considered rude?

hmmm, i think in the comfort room

EDIT:

How come i can't have a pet in japan if i live in a rented room(apartment)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure some apartments allow it while others won't. It's the same in the US, really.

i'm asking, if students stay in school from 08.00 to 16.00, then the club obbligation making them finish to 18.00 or 20.00, how about those who are 20 kilometers from the school, that would be tiring.
think?
Schedule of a student with his/her home 20 kms away(or less, or less to meake it at least far away from the school)
6.30 wake up, wash up, breakfast
7.00 trip to school
7.30 arrive, a little bit of walk to the school
8.00 school arrival
8.00-16.00 school
16.00-18.00 club activities
18.00 - 18.30 walk to the station
18.30 - 19.00 trip back to home
19.00 - 21.00 relax, break time
21.00 - 21.30 dinner
21.30 - 22.30 homework
22.30 - 06.30 sleep(having 8 hours of sleep, quite good)
but is it good?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure some apartments allow it while others won't. It's the same in the US, really.
I get the impression that there are more that don't than do, though. Seems mostly those who own houses have indoor pets. Seems those with apartments tend to have cats, who can stay outside and all that.
i'm asking, if students stay in school from 08.00 to 16.00, then the club obbligation making them finish to 18.00 or 20.00, how about those who are 20 kilometers from the school, that would be tiring.
think?
Schedule of a student with his/her home 20 kms away(or less, or less to meake it at least far away from the school)
7.00 trip to school
8.00 school arrival
8.00-16.00 school
21.00 - 21.30 dinner
21.30 - 22.30 homework
but is it good?

I'm going to be honest here. I get the impression that older students don't sleep that much (hence all the vitamin drinks) or either they don't need as much. Of course I can only go by my own personal experience. When grading papers and checking over student journals, one of the assignments was to write out entries showing what the students did after school. In Japan, from what I was told, it is mandatory for junior high school children to participate in some kind of a club activity. Only third-year students get out of it (after summer) to practice and prepare for the high school entrance exams.

Anyway, going back on topic, a good majority of the journal entries showed that the students went to bed quite late. You know, getting home after 7 (or 8), having dinner, maybe watching television or reading manga or maybe playing video games and then taking a bath (and seems that taking a bath at night is the norm) and doing homework. Some might say they went to bed at like 1 in the morning and then waking up at like 5 or 6 or 7 in the morning to eat breakfast and prepare for school. Who knows how accurate it is, but seeing as how Japan, for the most part, has the same system in place everywhere, it wouldn't surprise me if it's like this all over. Of course distance is an issue. With me, I woke up at 7, left my apartment at 7:30 to get to my school at about 8:00. It was about a mile away if taking the back way. It took me about 40+minutes to walk there whenever it snowed and that depended on how thick the snow was. Oh, and not all students have to go to a station to get to school. They may actually walk or bike the entire way because there isn't a station nearby or either it'd be out the way to go to the station. It's like passing your house just to take a route back to it, ya know?

Seems that most students walk, as there is no "school bus" system anyway, unless they take a city bus or the train to a stop near their school. Either way, despite the distance, if the student is supposed to be in the club, they're going to have to be in it...distance be darned. You also have to take into account in your list, school meetings too which may also take up the students' time. Thinking about it though, it wouldn't surprise me if someone actually did live 20 km away from his/her school, they would probably end up taking a train or bus to get there or get close as they can to there. For example, the JHS I worked at was about 5 min away from the train stop; the elementary school about 2 or 3 min.

There's one student who comes to mind who actually went to bed late and woke up at like 5 in the morning just to practice because of his club activity. I wouldn't be able to function at all if I did that almost everyday.

I'm not sure if high school is nearly as strict (as far as club activities go), but riding on the trains past 8 pm, I've seen high school students riding there with their book bags and such, looking as if they're going home for the day. I got off at my stop close to 9pm. So yeah, outside of elementary school, students seem to have a lot of responsibilities as far as school goes.

Edit: Oh, just recalled something else that is time consuming and can go on as late as 10 pm. Juku (cram school). So yeah, students lead very busy lives.

Last edited:
I heard that garbage system is a little bit tricky there, can you explain it?

Now that is something I did hate about living over there. The garbage sorting. I admire the fact that they do a lot of recycling, but I wish it was easier to get and understand. I heard that even native Japanese have trouble with the system for some items.

think?
7.00 trip to school
8.00 school arrival
8.00-16.00 school
21.00 - 21.30 dinner
21.30 - 22.30 homework
but is it good?

You know, most school usually ends at 15:00 (3pm). And club activities only happens usually Friday or Saturday. Students can however have informal meetings whenever they want.
And when you reach high school, there'll be less club activities and more curricular activities.

You know, most school usually ends at 15:00 (3pm). And club activities only happens usually Friday or Saturday. Students can however have informal meetings whenever they want.
And when you reach high school, there'll be less club activities and more curricular activities.
Not in my experience. The students had club activities everyday (Monday - Friday), unless there was something special going on in the school or if school had to close early for PTA reasons, or midterms, big exams, etc. They even have club meets during school vacations.
how much budget do a student has for school everyday?
The only ones who could answer this question are actual students. No one here is a student in a public Japanese school and even then, it probably depends on the family that the student comes from. Someone who's well-off will be able to spend more compared to someone coming from a poorer family. That's pretty much how it is everywhere. Japan isn't exclusive to that.

Last edited:
ahh, is it rude to use fork and spoon or fork and knife in the table instead of using the hashi (chopsticks)

While Asian food (mainly Japanese, Chinese, and Korean) is almost always eaten with chopsticks, Western-style food such as cake, spaghetti, and burgers is eaten with forks (and knives) or your hands. But I'm not sure how it would be viewed to eat Japanese food with forks and knives.

If the person is a foreigner, they wouldn't think twice about it since they know that westerners don't usually use chopsticks. Restaurants offer them if asked, as far as I know.

when does a student usually starts cleaning the classroom? i mean from what grade?

when does a student usually starts cleaning the classroom? i mean from what grade?
First year of elementary school. Wouldn't surprise me if they started as young as kindergarten, but I've never been to a kindergarten before.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom