• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"The Rise of Darkrai" DVD Review Thread

Blackjack Palazzo said:
But everyone's harping on that ONE track, which none of the dubbers have EVER given us.

People are "harping on it" (as you put it) because it's something that matters to us.

What they *have* given us, though, are OTHER features. And I'd say that's something worth harping about rather than something we've never gotten and probably never will.

Lil Brother, you, and I have all discussed other non-alternate language tracks that could have been put on the DVD. But other than listing what other features Viz should have included in the DVD (which is something we've already done), what else more is there to discuss? You can only write post after post listing things you want to see in the DVD before you start to run the topic to the ground.

Was there ever any doubt that we'd be left Japanese-less? No there wasn't. So don't act all surprised when we don't get something we've never gotten.

Nobody's acting surprised here.

Nando said:
If Sarah Brightman was dead, she'd be spinning in her grave right now. I'll Always Remember You and Living In The Shadows, the two songs that replaced her I Will Be With You (Where The Lost Ones Go) are absolutely ATROCIOUS. We're not just talking bad, we're talking Brother My Brother bad. The former, which is performed by DP Battle Dimension - We Will Be Heroes's Kristen Price, is a horrid piece of run-of-the-mill dub pop, and its artist absolutely just cannot sing. The latter is less of a song than a minor filler piece, but calling it the worst piece of dub music since Brother My Brother is an insult to the cheeze factor of the first movie. It starts out as a RAP before going into an incoherent mix of said rap and (attempted) singing.

That actually sounds about on-par with the other movie ending themes, actually. I'm also surprised that they've started having multiple songs play during the ending animation again; they haven't done that since Pokemon 2000, have they?

One of the visitors to my site sent me these lyrics to the ending themes:

"I'll Always Remember You" by Kirsten Price

I'll always remember you
Carry your dreams until they come true
Each breath that I take
Each moment awake
I'll always remember you

Everywhere I walk, I see your shadow
And when I close my eyes, I see your face
Every song I sing, I hear your melody
Because not a moment that goes by
And you're not on my mind (I'm guessing this is supposed to be "when," not "and" and the subtitles messed up)

You will always be my hero
Never scared, braver than us all
Guiding light for me to follow
Always showing me the way
Right beside me everyday

I'll always remember you
Carry your dreams, until they come true
Each breath that I take
Each moment awake
I'll always remember you

(Instrumental with random "i'll remember you!"s)

Oh, for the sacrifice you made
And all the gifts you gave

I'll always remember you
Carry your dreams until they come true
Each breath that I take
Each moment awake
I'll always remember you

I'll always remember you
I carry your dreams until they come true
Each breath that I take
Each moment awake
I'll always remember
Always remember
I'll always remember you

"Living in the Shadow by Chris "Breeze" Bartzynski

Sometimes its hard to know
Whether someone you meet is friend or foe
That's how it goes
We'll be living in the shadow

Sometimes its hard just to know your place
When something's happening in time and space
It's a rat race
Living in the shadow

Now is the time to never die
Spread your wings and learn to fly
Are you brave enough to even try?

Living in the Shadow (Pokemon!)
Living in the Shadow (of Darkrai!)
Living in the Shadow (Pokémon!)
Living in the Shadow (of Dakrai!)

It's hard to tell what's wrong from right...

but the pristine quality of the movie

Well I'd certainly hope a movie that's not even a year old on an extras-less DVD would look amazing.

Sceptile726 said:
What about the visuals that were originally at the end? Was that kept?

From what I hear, yes.

But it looks like that shot of Pikachu's shadow right after the movie's logo is still missing from the English version. I had assumed that it was just a CN error.

shadow.jpg

Is "ARUBERUTO" and "BEROBERUTO" still on the DVD?

I thought the first song was okay, not as good as the one sung by Sarah Brightman, but okay. However the song that followed after it sounded really out of place in my opinion, plus I'm not so fond of it.

I got the DVD yesterday and was quite suprised that it did not have a Pikachu short. I realy like how the introduction went on the movie though.

The video of the movie is unaltered. ARAMOS TOWN, BERUBERUTO and ARUBERUTO are all still present.

I heard there were 5.1 track on DVD. If so, why no one mentions it? After two movies with stereo and mono audio on DVD, I think it deserves mention. I also heard that Opening and Ending songs were only in stereo and therefore comes from front speakers only.
But it looks like that shot of Pikachu's shadow right after the movie's logo is still missing from the English version. I had assumed that it was just a CN error.
Yes, it still miss here. My assumption is, that PUSA have difficulties to get rid of that japanese text, so they coose a cheap way to do so.
I thought the first song was okay, not as good as the one sung by Sarah Brightman, but okay. However the song that followed after it sounded really out of place in my opinion, plus I'm not so fond of it.
That's pretty much my thoughts about ending songs too.

Did I hear Widescreen bars? Is this DVD release in 16:9 with letterboxing in a 4:3 image? I would be glad to see a sample screenshot.

Did I hear Widescreen bars? Is this DVD release in 16:9 with letterboxing in a 4:3 image? I would be glad to see a sample screenshot.

I don't know technical language, but on my normal TV, it played with black bars on the top and bottom. They weren't as prominent as those on Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea, I thought.

Better late than never, they say.

It's late, but I hope not too late to ask a question.

The DVD has subtitles, doesn't it?

Do the subtitles reveal Maki's, Dai's and Katsumi's dub names?

The previous DVD Subtitles did have unnamed character names (that's where the infamous "Geralden" comes from), so I believe this DVD may have them too.

Better late than never, they say.

It's late, but I hope not too late to ask a question.

The DVD has subtitles, doesn't it?

Do the subtitles reveal Maki's, Dai's and Katsumi's dub names?

The previous DVD Subtitles did have unnamed character names (that's where the infamous "Geralden" comes from), so I believe this DVD may have them too.

I just checked. The answer is no.

In better detail, the subs don't identify who is speaking by name.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom