• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

Mee, yes by look. I met a Golbat Shiny but because I sell all things for money, so I didn't catch it. Hahaha

I completed my dex and got the shiny charm like a week ago. Been breeding for a female shiny pumpkaboo-small for the last like four days. The RNG goddess truly does love to troll me, as while I've gotten three shinies out of the 870 eggs I've hatched so far, all of them are male. If I get another male shiny pumpkaboo, I am going to snap.

Yes, part of this is that gourgeist is a more feminine looking pokemon, but I have another motivation. I generally prefer my pokemon's gender to match my own, and it irks me that out of the competitively viable shinies that I've encountered/hatched myself -- namely heatmor, vivillon, stunfisk, electrode, sharpedo, furret, octillery, faticate, swalot, gigalith, barbarable, and togetic -- only furret and faticate are female. Well, furret has the blue gender marker, but she's trans according to my headcanon. And I've had it with ranya only giving me male shinies, I'm getting a fem shiny gourgeist regardless of how long it takes. She won't beat me.

after this, my priorities for shiny breeding are palossand, pinsir, dhelmise, and araquanid. Some other ones I'm considering are starmie, minior, ariados, porygon-z, golurk, and vikavolt.

also I got a 6 IV naive shiny azelf from wonder trade a few hours ago. It even has stealth rock. It's probably hacked, but whatever, maybe I'll use it once in a while for the hell of it. It's true that I don't value shinies from other people nearly as much as I do my own, but I still love getting them on wonder trade like I have a few times in moon so far.

Last edited:
I found a shiny Spearow while EV training. First time I've ever been disappointed at getting a shiny. I named it "Wai."

Snapchat-1636453764.jpg
Snapchat-1636453764.jpg
Shiny Pidgey, around 150 eggs. Timid, 5IV, knows Air Cutter, Brave Bird, Defog and Pursuit.

Just hatched a shiny Mareanie~!! Really got lucky this time. I've hatched boxes upon boxes of other stuff in X/Y and never got a shiny even with MM and shiny charm, and I got this one via MM and shiny charm in maybe half a box. :D I named it Pinky Hime cause it is, indeed, very pink (I might change it's name to Coral, ironically).

Still no luck with the shiny Popplio, at 540 eggs, and just put another 18 in the hot springs to go overnight. It's come to the point that I've started expecting it, which I know is not a good mindset for shiny hunting. I want it so bad but it's just so annoying. If I can get it then I can prove to myself that I can MM shinies.

But on a good note I was chaining for Shiny Eevee once more, and I got a Shiny Espeon out of it. Since my last Shiny Eevee I got I did 217 encounters, which is so much better than the 771 that it took for my first one. I named the Espeon Daylily, a type of green flower. I used to not like Shiny Espeon so much but I've grown really fond of it.

After 1300 eggs hatched, my friend was giving up. He had gotten two shiny A-Vulpixes, and not one with it's HA.
I said "hey, let me take care of this... While you start hunting for my shiny Type: Null".
Then my journey of Vulpix hatching started. I only needed 280 eggs for one... With normal ability.
UNTIL TODAY!
I finally got a shiny Vulpix with HA for him. Together, we hatched 2370 Alolan Vulpixes, with 4 shinies. Only one of them with HA. My goodness, that took a long time.

No. The system predetermines the egg chain IV spreads and which shiny the egg will be. 1/512 odds, hatch 50-100, switch parents, the chain resets. Gives a far superior percentage. I'm in double digits on hatched shinies.

Wait, so... if I save before putting in the parents, hatch 50-100 eggs no shiny, reset to before I put the parents into the daycare, and then wait like 5min IRL, will that change the chain?

Also, you know for sure IV spread is pre-determined? So if I get a 5IV shiny on egg 30 for example, if I reset and save on egg 29 no amount of soft-resetting will cause that shiny to be 6IV (with two 6IV parents)?

Wait, so... if I save before putting in the parents, hatch 50-100 eggs no shiny, reset to before I put the parents into the daycare, and then wait like 5min IRL, will that change the chain?

Also, you know for sure IV spread is pre-determined? So if I get a 5IV shiny on egg 30 for example, if I reset and save on egg 29 no amount of soft-resetting will cause that shiny to be 6IV (with two 6IV parents)?
Bingo. Test it. Throw a Ditto w/ Destiny Knot in daycare with two other PKMN in your party. Save. Then put one parent in, hatch 30, and write down the IV spreads for each egg. Then reset, throw the other one in with Ditto, and the thirty eggs will have the exact same IV inheritance spread as before you reset.

Trust me, I'm on 12 shiny from breeding so far. It's waaaay easier this Gen.

Attachments

• Snapchat-596629670.jpg
    Snapchat-596629670.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Snapchat-460680943.jpg
    Snapchat-460680943.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Snapchat-1707899716.jpg
    Snapchat-1707899716.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 33
So I've been shiny hunting Frogadier on Y in the Friend Safari for a bit now, and I just accidentally ran from a shiny Gyarados... :(

This is not the first time I've done this. In Y I accidentally ran from a horde of Roggenrola's only to realize right when I pressed run that one was shiny. In other words, I've damn near ran from as many shinies as I've caught, I've encountered five ever, a Spinarak in Emerald, caught it, a Zigzagoon in Sapphire, caught it, Roggenrola in Y, ran, Ho-Oh in OR, caught it, and Gyarados in Y just now, ran.

I'm not THAT upset about it considering I've had plenty of red Gyarados thanks to GSC and HGSS, but it's still a bit annoying, I just hope I'm paying more attention when the Frogadier pops up.

Shiny Gible, 30ish eggs, 5IV, Jolly

Attachments

• Snapchat-931272157.jpg
    Snapchat-931272157.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Snapchat-1580566695.jpg
    Snapchat-1580566695.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 33
Yeah, this method won't work for me. I don't just want shinies; I want shinies on very specific balls. Mawile on Love Ball, Mudsdale on Heavy Ball, Mimikyu on Moon Ball, Metagross on Beast Ball... Some of these Pokémon is quite rare to get anywhere (specially the Mawile. That came all the way from Soul Silver!)

Yeah, this method won't work for me. I don't just want shinies; I want shinies on very specific balls. Mawile on Love Ball, Mudsdale on Heavy Ball, Mimikyu on Moon Ball, Metagross on Beast Ball... Some of these Pokémon is quite rare to get anywhere (specially the Mawile. That came all the way from Soul Silver!)
You can still use the Karp method for that. To be quite real, I've not used that method yet either. Tried, but never came across the shiny. I breed til I either get a 6IV or shiny then switch. Do you have all those Pokemon in those balls?? I do, if you need one. I've also got two extra 4IV Dittos, both ENG though unfortunately.

Because of the merging of the Sun/Moon section with the Pokémon Video Games section, this thread has been merged with the "The Shiny Encounter Thread (spoilers)" that was present in the Sun/Moon section.

So you can now discuss Shinies found in all Pokémon games here :)

let me gush about my shinies a bit

naomishinies99.jpg

it's kind of ridiculous just how cool shiny araquanid is. Reminds me a lot of of a vampire, especially with its collar turning black, reminds me of a stereotypical vampire collar. Fitting that it uses leech life. It's the latest shiny I've hatched, and also the first alolan shiny I have, unless you count faticate. I put all my competitive shinies into this box, and I bred/caught all of them myself, minus sabae (I got her from somebody at uni a while back, I don't value her as much as the others for that reason). It's just really satisfying collecting these, kind of weird to think that prior to xy I had zero competitive standard shinies at all, and now I have 17. Next on my list is either palossand or dhelmise.

as for why there's two gourgeist....the short answer is that I'm an idiot. Gourgeist is one of my favorite pokemon, and its shiny is one of the most lovely things ever, so I basically needed one. I had already trained up a super size gourgeist, so naturally, for the shiny I decided I wanted the only other viable gourgeist form -- small. I went to catch one in x, and checked the dex to make sure I had caught the right size pumpkaboo. The dex said it was small size, so I transferred it to moon and starting breeding for my shiny. Got the shiny I was looking for after, uh, I think it was like 800 eggs? Started training her up, and it didn't take long for me to realize that somefin was off....this gourgeist was normal-sized. After a while of beating myself up for neglecting to confirm I was even breeding the right thing in the first place, I got back to breeding, for the right size this time. I guess the RNG goddess felt bad for me, cuz I got my shiny pumpkaboo-small within the first like 100 eggs.

The medium-sized shinygeist sat in the back of my PC for a while, I assumed she was useless competitively compared to her slimmer sister. Then I remembered the existence of z trick-or-treat, which gives +1 to every stat, similar to z conversion. While gourgeist aint exactly the epitome of a sweeper, I figured this was the only way to use her without her being totally outclassed by her slimmer sister, considering jolly 84 base speed at +1 is generally alright. The extra 5 attack and 10 hp over small is fairly appreciated. I did some math recently and found out that adamant gourgeist-small has two more speed points at lv. 50 along with 5.5% more power, but whatever, I didn't let it annoy me too much since medium still has 7.5% more bulk which is useful enough. I use rock slide/phantom force/trick-or-treat/seed bomb on mine, it's actually surprisingly good in battle tree, as the AI won't switch out of phantom force after being turned into a ghost-type.

oh, and shiny togetic is one of the most boring shinies I've ever seen in my life. It's almost garchimp level. Don't worry, it was a random hatch, I'm not quite insane enough to waste my time breeding for that.

Last edited:
well, I just did something that I already regret. I was breeding for a cubone -- a normal cubone, I wasn't shiny hunting -- and eventually I hatch a shiny. Instead of just taking it, what I did was reset, swap out cubone with a moon ball sandygast, and hatch a shiny sandygast in its place. If you read my above post, palossand was one of the shinies at the top of my want list, so the decision seemed ideal at the time. However, not long after, I started feeling kind of lame about it. I was fated to have a shiny a-marowak, and instead of letting that happen, I basically cheated and got a shiny I wanted more in its place. It's different then when I swap out shiny caterpie (magikarp hatch so quickly that it's actually annoying), because when I'm breeding caterpie, I'm breeding them specifically for the purpose of getting a specific shiny. Hopefully y'all can understand where I'm coming from. Or am I just being weird again? Who knows.

oh well. I'll probably get over it soon. I might breed a shiny cubone this weekend, that would balance it out, right? Shiny a-marowak looks cool anyway.

never pulling this crap again, that's for sure

Back
Top Bottom