• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The True Potential of Pokemon Legends becoming a series

IDK about Johto, though. For all we know, second remake like LGPE could just be a one-off. It can hardly be considered as a pattern. And we also don't have enough data to conclude that Legends will happen in order. Ironically, if we take things to it's extremity, one can argue that PLA being based on Gen4 games is an "evidence" against that. This is not to say that I believe it would be the case, just that anything still could happen. I do think the next Legends being based on Unova is still the most likely outcome.

And all of this is assuming that Legends will be a series...
If they skip Johto, it would be an extremely missed opportunity, as it has one of the most fleshed out histories of any region. Plus already having a tie-in with Sinnoh, it would be so easy to ride on the heels of Legends: Arceus to connect the two games.

You know there is one problem with the idea of a Legends game in Kalos. It would have to be set in the war right? And the whole Gimmick of the legends games is about how its more about completing the pokedex than combat.
The middle of a war does not seem like the best timing to be going into the wild researching Pokemon.

You know there is one problem with the idea of a Legends game in Kalos. It would have to be set in the war right? And the whole Gimmick of the legends games is about how its more about completing the pokedex than combat.
The middle of a war does not seem like the best timing to be going into the wild researching Pokemon.
Legends Arceus is not set during the banishment of Giratina or during the creation of the pokemon world, so it's not like they have to settle the game during the plot narrated in the original games. It could simply be a game about the research on Mega Evolution.
Also, consider that the war of x/y happened like 3000 years ago. That's way too far in time to settle a game.

I don't think every Legends game has to be about completing the pokedex. I think a key feature of Legends' potential as a series isn't really the gameplay, it's the prospect of exploring the past- "Legends," as it were. Future Legends games could have radically different focus in terms of gameplay but a similar grounds in that it's exploring poke-history rather than the poke-present.

Legends Arceus is not set during the banishment of Giratina or during the creation of the pokemon world, so it's not like they have to settle the game during the plot narrated in the original games. It could simply be a game about the research on Mega Evolution.
Also, consider that the war of x/y happened like 3000 years ago. That's way too far in time to settle a game.
If I recall correctly Mega Evolution was only just discovered in gen 6 so not really a possible idea given that would... just be gen 6 again.
Also, I don't think how long ago it was means anything about if it is a valid time for the game to be set.

If I recall correctly Mega Evolution was only just discovered in gen 6 so not really a possible idea given that would... just be gen 6 again.
Also, I don't think how long ago it was means anything about if it is a valid time for the game to be set.
They were just discovered in x/y. This doesn't mean they were created in that game. A legend game can be settled in a time when mega stones were already used and then lost for some reason. It's not like we have info of Legends Arceus pokemon or plot in the original d/p.

Megas weren't discovered in XY given that Korrina and her family already knew all about Mega Lucario and probably more. The story was just poorly explained, and any more of it would probably contradict ORAS.

In fact, Game Freak added lore about Arceus (the idea of completing the Pokedex to meet it, and being aided by special Pokemon) in this game only to say "oh look, this kind of story already happened long ago." Also, the main events are not very different compared to Platinum. Game Freak like repetition, which is one reason why I'm only looking forward to Legends Celebi since the Johto lore was presented very modestly (even in the anime), which makes it easier to expand. Other regions are not going to surprise us all that much. You want Zygarde to get its big moment? It already did - in the anime.

If they do get around to Unova and Kalos, it's important to remember that Game Freak are not necessarily drawn to the biggest, most ancient setting you can think of. I wouldn't bet on the famous Unova or Kalos wars at all, although there were smaller ones in the more recent past.

Honestly, if they do repeat Pokemon for Legends games, I don't mind because the story can be different enough from the usual main series games that we have gotten so far. Plus, I want to explore old Unova where its civilization tries to decide whether they want to go all-in on technology or want to stay more on the natural side, with the game keeping the result of this detail ambiguous even after doing everything.

Here is an idea that might have been said in the thread already. What if, for one of the games, instead of remaking an old region, they set it in the a new region, and have the story somewhat connect to the next generation game set in the modern version of the same region.
I doubt Gamefreak would actually do it but its a neat concept.

Here is an idea that might have been said in the thread already. What if, for one of the games, instead of remaking an old region, they set it in the a new region, and have the story somewhat connect to the next generation game set in the modern version of the same region.
I feel like that would defeat the point of it being a Legends game. It's the same logic as to why we meet so many ancestors of characters that we'll meet in Sinnoh. It's supposed to feel like a prequel.

I feel like that would defeat the point of it being a Legends game. It's the same logic as to why we meet so many ancestors of characters that we'll meet in Sinnoh. It's supposed to feel like a prequel.
I don't see how that would defeat the point, really. It would just be a prequel to a new region instead of a prequel to an old one.

It could actually be kind of cool if a game was to portray you discovering the new region and then the modern day release showed how people have influenced it later. Maybe it goes from absolutely wild to a significant portion of it being incredibly industrialized.

Which that is something I feel that Pokemon hasn't quite explored yet- how pokemon may adapt to urban environments. We don't typically get to find or catch wild pokemon roaming around the cities, it'd be kind of fun if a game introduced us a slew of pokemon that have adapted to losing their natural environments. Like, taking real world reference, you walk into town and there's flocks of pidove scattered about, rattata lurking in alleyways, and at night the trash pandas come out to forage in garbage bins, coyotes start skulking about... then we could actually explore around cities and towns looking for pokemon instead of so much just natural environments.

Legends games should happen in order, so Johto and Unova must come before Kalos.
We're already going out of order by starting with the Gen 4 region, though. Personally, I'd much prefer to see Legends sequels come in a totally random sequence, just following whatever story ideas strike their fancy.
Actually, that seems like an easy premise for that kind of quest. "We're going to war against this region- we need you to go undercover and gather information about what kinds of Pokemon they have!"

I really don't think the main gimmick of Legends is being about completing the Pokedex, though - there's no reason to add features like boss fights or new means of transportation if that's the case.

They started with Sinnoh because it was in line for a remake and they realized that the changes they wanted required a different kind of game. It wasn't a random choice.
I'm not saying random as in "they just throw a dart at the wall and do that", I'm saying that as in the order of generations doesn't matter - doing Sinnoh wouldn't mean that Unova is next just because it was the Gen 5 region, or that Johto would be next because HGSS came after DP. "just following whatever story ideas strike their fancy," like I said.

And I doubt that they started with thinking of Sinnoh remakes and then just realized partway through a standard remake that they needed to make a whole new game instead. The boss battles, crafting, PokeDex completion- why would this even be considered for a DP remake? And obviously the new Pokemon and characters wouldn't have been included, either. It's not like Game Freak strictly binds themselves to what's "in line for a remake" - LGPE wouldn't be a thing if that was the case.

I'm not saying random as in "they just throw a dart at the wall and do that", I'm saying that as in the order of generations doesn't matter - doing Sinnoh wouldn't mean that Unova is next just because it was the Gen 5 region, or that Johto would be next because HGSS came after DP. "just following whatever story ideas strike their fancy," like I said.

And I doubt that they started with thinking of Sinnoh remakes and then just realized partway through a standard remake that they needed to make a whole new game instead. The boss battles, crafting, PokeDex completion- why would this even be considered for a DP remake? And obviously the new Pokemon and characters wouldn't have been included, either. It's not like Game Freak strictly binds themselves to what's "in line for a remake" - LGPE wouldn't be a thing if that was the case.
LGPE was in line for a remake, though. Kanto came next after Hoenn.

And I think you're right to a point, Legends wasn't considered for a DP remake, but it probably wasn't separate from the fact that a return to Sinnoh was next on the list.

It's pretty clear that the standard remake formula is boring them, but I think if Legends proceeds as a series, not necessarily in the form of keeping the "complete the pokedex" goal or even the hub town format, but just exploring the pokemon world's past, then they're still going to most benefit from following the remake cycle to juxtapose the past with the present. Because not everyone will have experienced the region in its modern form to get the context and see the differences in it. And the remake cycle is an easy metric of when we haven't seen a region in a long while- if they continue to follow it, they will always refresh the region that's collected the most dust.

Either way, I just think they will keep following the order of remakes for Legends.

I've played through about 4 hours, though I haven't faced Kleavor yet. The more I play, the more I feel this is truly the next step for the series. Whether its another Legends style game or applying the action-rpg elements and large open areas to a badge quest, there's actual potential.

LGPE was in line for a remake, though. Kanto came next after Hoenn.
...Didn't we already go back and forth on this for too long? You know my opinion, I know yours. Can't we just agree to disagree on this front?
And I think you're right to a point, Legends wasn't considered for a DP remake, but it probably wasn't separate from the fact that a return to Sinnoh was next on the list.
I'm not saying I think it was separate? I'm just saying that I think it was definitely thought of before they started on Gen 4 remakes.
Either way, I just think they will keep following the order of remakes for Legends.
But again, they're already not following the order, because they're starting with Sinnoh.

...Didn't we already go back and forth on this for too long? You know my opinion, I know yours. Can't we just agree to disagree on this front?

I'm not saying I think it was separate? I'm just saying that I think it was definitely thought of before they started on Gen 4 remakes.

But again, they're already not following the order, because they're starting with Sinnoh.
Right, forgot that.

They're still following the order, though, it's just that Legends is hopping in on the remake cycle rather than starting over with Gen 1.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom