• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Theory: Gen Seven's Third Game

If we do receive another game(s) for Gen 7, I wonder what they have planned. Third games seem done, sequels look to be a Gen5-only concept and Gen4 remakes doesn't seem very likely.
They could do another region with a different story for the next pair but stay in gen 7. But so far, they only create new regions when new generations are made. However, Game Freak can surprise us so this could be a possibility even if it is unlikely.

If we do receive another game(s) for Gen 7, I wonder what they have planned. Third games seem done, sequels look to be a Gen5-only concept and Gen4 remakes doesn't seem very likely.
How about this:
Prequels.

We've had third versions and sequels, where the former tweaks the first pair of a generation's plotine and the latter countinues it, but we haven't had a game that precedes the original game's storyline(i.e. a prequel). That's a different and surprising enough way to expand a region that game freak hasn't done before.

Last edited:
At the very least Sun & Moon will be the 3DS's last main series Pokemon game. It's clear there is not going to be another Nintendo handheld so the series will continue on the NX instead.

At the very least Sun & Moon will be the 3DS's last main series Pokemon game. It's clear there is not going to be another Nintendo handheld so the series will continue on the NX instead.

I don't know about that. I don't think that they'd want to put any other seventh generation games on the next system. They usually save that for a new generation after the new system has been available for awhile, so it's easier for fans to get the system and a new game. I'm not sure what else could come out after Sun/Moon, but I'm pretty sure it's still going to be for the 3DS.

Besides that, when was it confirmed that there isn't going to be another Nintendo handheld system? I've heard a bunch of different things about the NX, so I don't know what is and isn't confirmed about it. And considering how well Nintendo's handheld systems have been doing, especially the DS and 3DS, I don't know why they wouldn't make another one. I have heard theories of the NX connecting a console and handheld system, but I assumed that there would still be two separate systems rather than one system that's connected to each other at all time. Again, I've heard rumors and theories about the NX for awhile, so I'm kind of confused on what this system is all about.

A-If there is a third GenVII game, it's gonna be named Pokémon Eclipse, that is obvious. What legendary?....Marshadow? It's got the word shadow in the name...that's something. Or it's a Eldritch Abomination caused by the energy of the Eclipse, hell if i know
B-The Zygarde stuff is gonna be like episode Delta, a Post-game thingamajig. Probally envolving Zygarde becoming 100% and causing Havoc on Alola.

How about this:
Prequels.

We've had third versions and sequels, where the former tweaks the first pair of a generation's plotine and the latter countinues it, but we haven't had a game that precedes the original game's storyline(i.e. a prequel). That's a different and surprising enough way to expand a region that game freak hasn't done before.

Well, strictly speaking, ORAS are sort of indirect prequels in addition to being remakes. They set up a couple of the things that we see in XY, but nothing in the way of major storyline elements.

Well, strictly speaking, ORAS are sort of indirect prequels in addition to being remakes. They set up a couple of the things that we see in XY, but nothing in the way of major storyline elements.
Yes, but i'm talkking about direct prequels. Sure, ORAS set up a few things that happened in XY, however, i still think direct prequels are a surprising way to expand a region because, like you said, while oras did explain some things that happened in xy, it didn't have any major plotline element(ex: team flare, az ect....) or even Kalos. I think most fans will be surprised with a direct prequel even if we had an "indirect" prequel.

That doesn't make a direct prequel a good idea. It would only be interesting if Sun and Moon alluded to various mysteries about Alola's past, and frankly, that is just asking for the games to feel incomplete.

That doesn't make a direct prequel a good idea.
Ok, i'm sorry, but where did i say that direct prequels are a "good" way to expand a region? I said that direct prequels are a surprising way to expand a region because game freak hasn't done that before, not they're a "good" way to expand a region. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Amd frankly, what's the crime if SM alluded to a couple of mysteries that happened in the past? This isn't the first time a pokemon game had loose ends that eventually got tied up in a following game(ex: N flying off in BW).

Last edited:
That's a different and surprising enough way to expand a region that game freak hasn't done before.
I can't see the chance of the region getting expanded if these games are playing before the previous games. What would be the explanation to shut down the routes, cities, catchable pokemons etc. for the previous games? That would be a step like from BW2 to BW. It wouldn't expand the region, it would greatly reduce it for what matter? All story strings and plot elements would easily fit on one game and even BW2 wasn't expanding the story directly but instead was focused to give Kyurem a decent kind of role since it wouldn't fit to the original BW plot.

Besides that, when was it confirmed that there isn't going to be another Nintendo handheld system? I've heard a bunch of different things about the NX, so I don't know what is and isn't confirmed about it. And considering how well Nintendo's handheld systems have been doing, especially the DS and 3DS, I don't know why they wouldn't make another one. I have heard theories of the NX connecting a console and handheld system, but I assumed that there would still be two separate systems rather than one system that's connected to each other at all time. Again, I've heard rumors and theories about the NX for awhile, so I'm kind of confused on what this system is all about.

There are new rumors about NX recently. The cartridge marking (not only cartridges, but also CDs) on the product description especially that from Zelda Breath of the Wild which will probably be a launch title is already hinting a new handheld soon. That would be the expanded idea of the Wii U with it's tablet as the controller; but this time an actual system as the controller being part of the NX technology.
Iwata said that it's not a hybrid? Possible that he lied since they also said that the NX isn't a whole new generation but instead being the third system of the current generation. They also said the exact same thing to the DS. And now it's pretty much confirmed that Zelda BotW will be the last Wii U title and that doesn't hint that the Wii U is living much longer.

I can't see the chance of the region getting expanded if these games are playing before the previous games. What would be the explanation to shut down the routes, cities, catchable pokemons etc. for the previous games?
Earthquakes, tsunamis ect....

There are a lot of possible explanations for a region to shut down it's routes, towns ect.. buddy.
Also, how exactly does "every" plot element can fit perfectly in one game? How does, for exemple, N returning to unova would make sense in BW? And how exactly did BW2 didn't expand BW's storyline? In what way does team plasma returning in BW2 to take their revenge not mean to you that BW2 is expanding BW's plotline?

Last edited:
A-If there is a third GenVII game, it's gonna be named Pokémon Eclipse, that is obvious. What legendary?....Marshadow? It's got the word shadow in the name...that's something. Or it's a Eldritch Abomination caused by the energy of the Eclipse, hell if i know
I can't fathom why people think that Marshadow will be the third legendary, if there is even one. But what if Marshadow is combination of mar, to spoil, and shadow? It can mean that an eclipse of some sort, caused by this Pokemon, is ruining the world.

I don't think there will be a third game, I'd actually prefer sequels for Alola, or just go on right ahead to the next generation. Anything to prevent what happened with XY, and by that I mean I'd also prefer if Marshadow wasn't the third legendary, and if it is I'd want it to have loose ties to Solgaleo and Lunala, nothing akin to Kyurem and that debacle as I wasn't a fan myself.

I heard and saw a rumor video about Sun and Moon being the end of the current Pokemon series. Basically, "it all comes together" means that it all, all seven generations, comes to en end.

The next games after Sun and Moon will be a reboot of the franchise.

I can't fathom why people think that Marshadow will be the third legendary,
The reason why most people are assuming that Marshadow will be Alola's third legendary is because eclipse's put the earth in a shadow state, and since an eclipse requires the sun and moon to be in the same lign.... yeah, you get the point.
Basically, "it all comes together" means that it all, all seven generations, comes to en end.
I think most people are reading way too much into the "it all comes together" phrase. At best, it was just a PR (public relation) phrase to mark the 20th anniversary of the series, or it could mean that Alola's will incorporate some elemts from every region, but I really don't see how could it mean that SM are the "end" of the current pokemon serie.

I think most people are reading way too much into the "it all comes together" phrase. At best, it was just a PR (public relation) phrase to mark the 20th anniversary of the series, or it could mean that Alola's will incorporate some elemts from every region, but I really don't see how could it mean that SM are the "end" of the current pokemon serie.
Here's the video (WARNING: It's about 45 minutes long):

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPKq4lk1NQ

I can't fathom why people think that Marshadow will be the third legendary, if there is even one. But what if Marshadow is combination of mar, to spoil, and shadow? It can mean that an eclipse of some sort, caused by this Pokemon, is ruining the world.

They assume it's related because eclipses pertain to the sun and moon, which fits the "shadow" part of its name, as you've just said.

Alternatively, it also has "Mars" in its name, which is another celestial body.

I heard and saw a rumor video about Sun and Moon being the end of the current Pokemon series. Basically, "it all comes together" means that it all, all seven generations, comes to en end.

The next games after Sun and Moon will be a reboot of the franchise.

I'm not typically one to just outright state that something isn't going to happen, but this just isn't going to happen.

Honestly the only logical thing I can see them doing would be a combination of both Gen 6 and 7. Something like Earth and Mars with Zygarde and Marshadow being the cover legendaries bundling both potential sequels into one pair of games.

Besides that, there no logical outcome for the next games. Generic third versions are out of the question, sequels seemed to be a gen V only thing, Gen IV remakes are to early and Gen I remakes/sequels whatever would've take the 20/25th anniversary spot.

I am holding to my believe of a new gen after 2 years. If they 're doing two more games for gen 7, then I won't believe them to be Alola related since they first let sell the first Alola games decently enough before they release another Alola game. A game with the same region after only 1 year would be ridicilious for todays standard. And I doubt them doing another international year break after one release only to release another Alola game.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom