• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

They actually made an official Pokémon forum and it’s chaos :/

Reaction score
Found out about it from Nintendolife - went to see for myself and it’s just sad. People are calling it “the new Miiverse” but it’s not even funny in a stupid way like that was. It’s just people being nasty for the sake of being nasty.

Also the layout isn’t as good as here.

Can I just say how thankful I am for the mods here and the fact that we can have good discussions without all the trash from most social media sites?

Moderator Notice
Moderator Notice

Please keep in mind this is a valid topic in the sense of it being a critique of how the Pokémon Company has (re)launched this project without sufficient planning for moderation. So long as the thread topic can keep that focus, it is valid, else it can cross the line to intersite drama. So please be mindful of your posts in this thread.

This is also being moved from Outside The Box to General Pokemon Discussion, as it is a section better suited for this topic.

I'm sad that this turned out to be a complete and utter disaster. I have some fond memories of the old TCG Online forum, which I guess was a Dire Wolf operation as well considering the contrast between that and this. Back there, I learned about how to play at a reasonable pace, argued over Theme Deck matchups, and traded digital cards. It's why I have a full set of Devolution Spray Z, one of the most niche cards ever printed. Someone gave them to me for free to build my first actual deck. The mods also regularly put up game threads for free codes, which were fun.

When I saw the announcement, I thought it was going to be the second coming of those days. But apparently it just wasn't meant to be. I feel bad for the short staff who are going to have to comb through all of those threads now.

I just looked it up and read NintendoLife’s post. I cannot believe it. This can’t be the new Miiverse.
I’ve seen Miiverse before, believe you me, it was actually pretty good, albeit being pretty young at the time—the same year I got a 3DS I still have today—and, starting to find out about the game Internet, I was so dumb. In fact, I was so dumb, I posted weird things on there such as an entire thread, about one XY: Kalos Quest episode and a ship there. On the XY game forum. I also got in trouble for something I found on the Internet, no clue if my 3DS got taken away.

Anyways, I saw that new Pokémon forum and as soon as I looked at the screenshots, that’s when I knew it was like terrible (that Gardevoir comment in that picture—and that tickle post that may or may not be bad depending on your view—did it for me.) The only one on there I thinks makes any sense is the “who thought this was a good idea” post. Yeah, they got that right.
I just now went on there, but as far as I can see I see no cringe posts. But what I can see, are lots of posts about anime subs and favorite starters.

Last edited:
Opening up a brand new forum at this point in time seems like such a bizarre move in the first place. Just from cursory browsing, it's structured very bizarrely as well.

I checked out the forum and 10 minutes of looking at it hurt my eyes so I closed out. Worst layout I've ever seen on a forum. The free forums look significantly better, let alone Bulbagarden and Smogon :/.

Aside from that I'm shocked TPCi decided to make an official community forum to begin with and their decision of doing so goes to express just how much they don't understand the Pokemon community.

For example, how did they overlook Masuda getting death threats on his personal twitter account during Sword and Shield's hype season, the entire riots the fanbase has made for the #bringbacknationaldex movement, or the recent months of protest regarding VGC and Pokemon GO? How did they overlook the overwhelming amount of people willing to make inappropriate content regarding Pokemon or bring it up on the site? The from the sheer size of the playerbase alone there is a 100% guarantee they'd encounter many thousands of people who would make the effort to exploit others in ways they should be permanently banned on the internet for. I've staffed a few Pokemon sites for years and have seen the sheer amount of terrible people who have to be managed. I've even handled cases that had me and other staff go out of my way to contact other community hubs, or official Discord staff in attempt to permanently terminate offenders to keep their sites safe, including ones involving a certain group of people doxxing others quite possibly thousands of times over, and have seen cases that needed legal authorities to be called in real life in order to be the most properly handled. Pokemon can't just make an official forum and slap in a small handful of moderators without having this in mind at all.

On another note, Pokemon has made many controversial decisions lately. Wouldn't this turn back at them at some point where many fans spam threads rioting over terrible situations?

I've also checked their moderation guidelines and for what's supposed to be the official Pokemon forum community, they're shockingly less explicit and informative than any other Pokemon community hub I've ever seen. It looks as if the forum was made with little thought or plan in mind and they decided to just wing it, hoping it would miraculously work when it realistically has no chance to work out in public.

Last edited:
From what I know the forums aren’t actually new; they’ve been around for about a year, and my guess was that they were originally for Play! Pokémon discussion. My guess is that it’s gaining more traction in news (and from TPCi) after the situations regarding Reddit and Twitter, which in turn caused in uptick in users, but the jump from Reddit/Twitter to what seems to have originally been a very niche community forum seems to have caused some issues, mainly a change in… the vibe, I guess? The change in the vibe of the userbase is probably the main thing causing these issues.

Oh God that’s some serious piece of junk. Like, HOW can people descend to THIS? I know that everyone thinks something different, I know it. But please… It’s even worse that the Gen 9 games with all bugs in its history. So much of these controversial stuff. If I‘d be a member THERE, you would only wonder how much would I want to turn back time

I personally think there is no need for any more Pokémon forums because people who want to talk about Pokémon have already found a place to talk about Pokémon.

After watching a video by patterz, he said from his experience there, he is unable to post. I also checked and found that you are unable to post right now.

Another strange thing I discovered from Patterz was that there’s a button where you can tweet your posts on Twitter. Huh. I’m unsure why that feature is even available.

Right now, it looks like a bunch of the hot garbage that was there last night is gone. Though, there are still unproductive threads that would usually be discussed in a general discussion thread here.

I’m not happy or sad about this. Maybe I’m a little sad that forums could not take back the throne. Though, I don’t really feel sad because the Bulbaforums and other Pokémon forums are thriving.

I personally think there is no need for any more Pokémon forums because people who want to talk about Pokémon have already found a place to talk about Pokémon.

After watching a video by patterz, he said from his experience there, he is unable to post. I also checked and found that you are unable to post right now.

Another strange thing I discovered from Patterz was that there’s a button where you can tweet your posts on Twitter. Huh. I’m unsure why that feature is even available.

Right now, it looks like a bunch of the hot garbage that was there last night is gone. Though, there are still unproductive threads that would usually be discussed in a general discussion thread here.

I’m not happy or sad about this. Maybe I’m a little sad that forums could not take back the throne. Though, I don’t really feel sad because the Bulbaforums and other Pokémon forums are thriving.
Yeah I tried to post there when I visited and felt dumb because I couldn't figure out how to post. I was thinking the posting was disabled but wasn't sure. It even took a bit to figure out how to change my avatar thanks to its interface. That Patterz video affirmed I was not being crazy.

It makes a bit more sense when you consider that these forums have actually been around for a while now (at least February 2022 for this incarnation of their forums). Why they decided to make a big song and dance about their existance now is anyone's guess, though I do wonder if the recent Twitter rate-limiting measures were a factor.

Please note: The thread is from 6 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom