• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things you wish that did NOT happen in the anime

I always thought that Masato is created to replace Takeshi, but then something went wrong and they decide to bring Takeshi back to the show.

I doubt they would have allowed a 7 year old boy to take the lead role of a teenage boy. When I watched Advanced for the first time, I knew Brock would come back. The same can go for Diamond and Pearl.

I’d like to think that Max wasn’t old enough to take the role as the team dad who cooks, breeds Pokémon, and breaks up the petty squabbles between Ash and any of his female companions. Max was way too young to own Pokémon for crying out loud.

I don't really think about what "should" have gone differently ... like at all. The show is pretty fun for what it is

True. People forget that this is a Japanese kids show at the end of the day. I mean all these flame wars I see over characters/seasons shouldn’t be so serious. We (adults) aren’t even the targeted demographic anyway.

Except, Japan has some sort of misguided view on what a '10 year old' is supposed to be, and their target audience is a supposed '10 year old' from 20 years ago.
Because nowadays every 10 y/o has a tablet or a smartphone, is into games like Fortnite and PUBG and what not and not the simple minded happy-go-lucky type that they envision. Japan's perception is long outdated.

I agree.

However, that’s still not an excuse for grown adults to throw temper tantrums over a show targeted for 10 year olds for how it’s written. There shouldn’t be an excuse for such toxic behavior in the fandom.

I agree.

However, that’s still not an excuse for grown adults to throw temper tantrums over a show targeted for 10 year olds for how it’s written. There shouldn’t be an excuse for such toxic behavior in the fandom.

...Have you seen other fandoms? At least Pokemon artists don't get death threats because of body ratios.

...Have you seen other fandoms? At least Pokemon artists don't get death threats because of body ratios.

Which fandom did that? I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the Sonic, MLP, or Disney fanbase.

I think my point is that while these debates are fun, the fun gets taken out of them when people take the show too seriously.

Anyway, while I do wish some things never happened in the anime, I think that the show will always have its problems. I mean the show has been airing for like 20+ years, after all.

Which fandom did that? I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the Sonic, MLP, or Disney fanbase.

I think my point is that while these debates are fun, the fun gets taken out of them when people take the show too seriously.

Anyway, while I do wish some things never happened in the anime, I think that the show will always have its problems. I mean the show has been airing for like 20+ years, after all.

Steven Universe as I recall, though I am pretty sure that you can find even more F-ed problems in other fandoms.

I haven't looked at the bronies in a while, but I do recall they have.....some issues.

I only did that one time. Gosh I still can't get over how awful Misty looks in SuMo. She's my fave character, but I wish she had never returned in this saga because her proportions look way off.

And if you meant the SU fandom, then omg don't even remind me. That entire series is overrated af and I get a migraine just thinking about it. Only R&M's fandom is worse after that whole Szechuan sauce mess.

But yeah as bad as our fandom can be at times, I don't think we're the worst out there. We mostly stick to whining on forums and social media (well, at least I do) and I've yet to hear about any Pokemon fans who were caught doing anything truly horrendous other than that one guy who was planning a shooting at the Pokemon World Championship a few years ago. Other than anomalies like that, we're saints.

I've yet to hear about any Pokemon fans who were caught doing anything truly horrendous other than that one guy who was planning a shooting at the Pokemon World Championship a few years ago.

Unfortunately, there was this false rape allegation against a staff member of Sword & Shield because of the National dex. Other than that and the (failed) shooting incident, then the fandom isn’t as crazy.

Gosh I still can't get over how awful Misty looks in SuMo. She's my fave character, but I wish she had never returned in this saga because her proportions look way off.

Not to argue, but I had to get past the bad animation just because I wanted to see Misty & Brock again. It’s been a long time since they returned & I just couldn’t contain my joy. I mean, Misty is my 2nd favorite female character and all it mattered to me was that she returned. Also, I did notice that she did mellow out a bit.

I wish that the anime writers had kept the usual TR blast off gag instead of using the Bewear gag. I think the Bewear thing is one of the stupidest gags since Bewear shows up in the most ridiculous situations and I've always found it really disturbing that she treats Team Rocket like her own children.

I wish that the anime writers had kept the usual TR blast off gag instead of using the Bewear gag. I think the Bewear thing is one of the stupidest gags since Bewear shows up in the most ridiculous situations and I've always found it really disturbing that she treats Team Rocket like her own children.

Yeah, Bewear's stunts aren't remotely funny to me anymore given that the writing staff went overboard by having her travel all the way across the sea to save TRio in Kanto. Not to mention those times when she actually ruined TRio's plans by showing up and taking them when they were about to win.

I only did that one time. Gosh I still can't get over how awful Misty looks in SuMo. She's my fave character, but I wish she had never returned in this saga because her proportions look way off.

And if you meant the SU fandom, then omg don't even remind me. That entire series is overrated af and I get a migraine just thinking about it. Only R&M's fandom is worse after that whole Szechuan sauce mess.

But yeah as bad as our fandom can be at times, I don't think we're the worst out there. We mostly stick to whining on forums and social media (well, at least I do) and I've yet to hear about any Pokemon fans who were caught doing anything truly horrendous other than that one guy who was planning a shooting at the Pokemon World Championship a few years ago. Other than anomalies like that, we're saints.

I wouldn't call it the most overrated thing in the world, but the fandom can be....bizarre.

I mean I can never find Wicke art that feels right, but we do have those sort of art problems too.

'White Nessa' and 'Fixed Nessa' were things, let us not forget.

I'm twelve years old and what is this?

I somehow doubt that but....

1: There was a massive flare up of artist combat and rage because someone drew Nessa with paler skin than usual, which led to a lot of nasty back and forths. Also at least one image of Nessa with a monkey/ape head.

2: is the super trope to the above. Basically sometimes you can see artists try to 'fix' art, most often seen by altering female costumes to make them seem less 'sex appealy'. For example Nessa got her outfit made into more of an wet suit.

Personally I think the idea of altering art like this fine when you aren't going 'there, fixed'. You could go 'this is a point I'm making about female body proportions here versus in real life' or 'I think this looks better', but going 'fixed it Atlus/Pokemon co/etc' is where a line is crossed.

I somehow doubt that but....

1: There was a massive flare up of artist combat and rage because someone drew Nessa with paler skin than usual, which led to a lot of nasty back and forths. Also at least one image of Nessa with a monkey/ape head.

2: is the super trope to the above. Basically sometimes you can see artists try to 'fix' art, most often seen by altering female costumes to make them seem less 'sex appealy'. For example Nessa got her outfit made into more of an wet suit.

Personally I think the idea of altering art like this fine when you aren't going 'there, fixed'. You could go 'this is a point I'm making about female body proportions here versus in real life' or 'I think this looks better', but going 'fixed it Atlus/Pokemon co/etc' is where a line is crossed.

I just searched for fan art of her and yeah, I saw some whitewashing going on which I found rather disturbing. The ape fan art was the worst one and it reminded me of the days when Iris was first revealed and how a few people had some pretty bigoted things to say about her. But I feel like more people like Nessa than Iris because Nessa looks older and is wearing a revealing outfit. That says a lot about the fandom tbh.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom