• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ultra Sun And Ultra Moon Will Be The Last Pokemon RPGS For 3DS

How do you feel about the Pokémon main series ending on the DS platform?

• I'm fine with the choice and looking forward to continuing this on the Switch

• I prefer the main series to stay on handheld platforms like the DS

• I'm indifferent and fine with either option

• I feel a different way that isn't represented on this poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
Regarding the Switch's free and paid online subscription, I'm going to guess they'll do a tiered model where free subscription for Pokemon involves the generic trade and battle. This article makes online subscription sound more engaging (with entire game libraries online). We know that Game Freak, in the past, has tried to create online-only modes beyond battling (e.g., Wifi Plaza in Gen IV). I can imagine that with paid subscription, Game Freak can create a more immersive online-only mode. My guess would be that this is where they keep the new game's Battle Frontier.

I know it's inevitable for Pokemon to move to the Switch, but it just feels kinda odd that Pokemon is finally leaving handhelds (I consider a Switch to be more of a console than handheld). I think by the time Pokemon goes to the Switch the 3DS and (probably) handhelds from Nintendo are officially dead, since Pokemon is usually one of the main reason people buy handhelds (at least, in my town's case). It kinda sucks to see that Nintendo probably, maybe is dropping their handhelds after almost 30 years of success, unless they consider the Switch to be a handheld too, and from what I heard the people at Nintendo consider it a console over a handheld.

Then again, the mobile world is taking over and handhelds just cannot compete with phones and tablets, so it seems like a smart move. Then again (again), I'm just speculating so if Nintendo is making a new handheld what I have just said was invalid.

Then again, the mobile world is taking over and handhelds just cannot compete with phones and tablets, so it seems like a smart move. Then again (again), I'm just speculating so if Nintendo is making a new handheld what I have just said was invalid.

I quite agree with this. The creation of the Switch and them dropping handhelds might be a good move for Nintendo. I see a lot of kids nowadays that ask for a tablet instead of a 3DS. There are some quality mobile games out there, many of which are free-to-play, with the option to pay for extra stuff. I've poured far more hours playing Love Live! School Idol Festival than I did playing Pokemon Moon (granted, part of it was the lack of any significant post game content and the removal of DexNav which made me lose some interest in Pokemon hunting). I'm sure that if the time is right, Nintendo will bring back the handhelds. Though we can't predict the future. :p

I'm a lot less sad about the this than I was was when I found out dedicated handhelds were over when the Switch was revealed. All I can do now is hope that Nintendo supports the 3ds with more remakes and ports until they make a Lite Switch.

As for Pokemon in perdicular I'm nervous. Either they can make the fastest Pokemon games ever or they can repeat the sins of Colleseum. And knowing about the Japanese development mindset and GF's specifically I'm dreading the latter.

I'm not surprised, and I'm excited. Pokemon on Switch has a lot of potential imo.

Also, the interview where they say the veteran staff are working on this as opposed to the younger staff which are handling US/UM has me excited too. They're pulling out all the stops on this one.

Regarding the Switch's free and paid online subscription, I'm going to guess they'll do a tiered model where free subscription for Pokemon involves the generic trade and battle. This article makes online subscription sound more engaging (with entire game libraries online). We know that Game Freak, in the past, has tried to create online-only modes beyond battling (e.g., Wifi Plaza in Gen IV). I can imagine that with paid subscription, Game Freak can create a more immersive online-only mode. My guess would be that this is where they keep the new game's Battle Frontier.
I don't know what the Switch's online feature is like, but I don't like the sound of paying for online subscription to get full access to all features. It's not like Pokemon. As long as one had the DS or 3DS, and the corresponding pokemon game, everyone had equal access to all the game's features. This extra payment feature could be the starting point of turning into those games where people who spend thousands of dollars on weapons, items, and armor easily grabs the top tier ranks and the people who doesn't spend money in-game can never get full access to the game's full potential. It doesn't sound right that real life wealth should affect in-game rights - especially with Pokemon where kids are involved. And yes, we already had Pokemon Bank as an extra payment feature - but Bank itself doesn't affect the other games individually. Take ORAS for example; Bank or not, one could enjoy ORAS to its fullest without the use of 100 extra boxes.

Correct me if I'm getting the wrong idea of the Switch, but I've seen so many good games get ruined because of real life wealth having a lot of influence on in-game experience, and creating exclusivity among players and eventually making it difficult for newcomers to join.

I don't want it but I figured it and also understand I'm behind the curve. Can't really expect them to not use the bright shiny new tech and I've already made peace with it.

Back
Top Bottom