• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What are your thoughts on Ultra Beasts?

They are nice. It gave Game Freak the opportunity to experiment on otherworldly designs that wouldn't fit in a normal Pokémon storyline.

I think Sun and Moon missed out on the opportunity to flesh them out as much as they could have due to focusing way too much on the family dynamic between Lusamine, Lillie, and Gladion in the story. I feel it would have definitely made Sun and Moon's story better if they were further fleshed out since they were a strong part of Lusamine's recent backstory to begin with. The Ultra games couldn't really do anything about it since it spent the whole game building a story off Necrozma instead. Although, being able to visit the UB worlds was amazing, especially Guzzlord's. Aside from that I think UBs were executed pretty well for a group of special Pokemon and I hope we get more of them some day. Gamefreak left room for infinite potential with their Ultra Space concept, so by all means they could easily push out more UB content.

I did not like them. I found the designs to be extremely unappealing (to put it nicely).

I'm not one to want exclusion of Pokemon from any game, but if they never show up ever again outside of Alolan games I'll be fine with that. lol

When they were first revealed in trailers I remember thinking they would be cool as non-catchable opponents, similar to the Pokestar Studios exclusives. After the games came out I warmed up to them, especially once Ultra Space was opened up more in the enhanced versions. My favorites are Nihilego, Pheromosa, Stakataka and Poipole/Naganadel.

Now that Paradox Pokemon have entered the scene I kinda wish they were just called by their codenames (UB-01, UB-02 Beauty, etc.) instead of being given "Pokemon" names though.

I absolutely love them and I wish we had 50 more of them.

Okay, okay, partially exaggerating — but even setting aside any interesting lore surrounding them, they're my favorite Pokémon from Alola, and some of my favorite Pokémon from a design standpoint, ever. It's always been a little disappointing to me that we'll probably get very few Pokémon even remotely similar to them again; since they were intended to stand out by looking otherworldly, and, well, very much not like your standard Pokémon at all. I just really wish there were more creepy-looking goofballs like Xurkitree and Blacephalon, and more big imposing creatures like Celesteela and Stakataka. I want to see more of the UBs' specific brand of weirdness!

while it certainly isn't the first time that pokemon journeyed into the whole "weird pokemon Not From This World" thing (looking at you, deoxys), i never understood why ultra beasts had to be a one-time thing. i don't think there was much, if anything, culturally connecting them to alola. they're beasts from a separate dimension, why couldn't game freak expand upon them a bit more? surely the ultra beasts that currently exist can't really be the only interdimensional pokemon, right? why not explore more of their origins and introduce more ultra beasts as the generations go by?

i mean, i wouldn't inflate the number of ultra beasts to the point of where legendaries are now, but it'd certainly be interesting to see more of them for sure.

this is all to say that i think they're cool and i wish we had more of them...

It’s a rlly cool concept and it’s always fun to get some new lore for some new Pokémon!! I love the fact that they’re literal aliens and the designs r pretty good too

The Ultra Beasts were a stellar concept from the beginning for me.

Broadly speaking, I feel like both Ultra Beasts and Paradox Pokemon fit the original premise of Pokemon better than Legendaries. Pokemon as a whole started from Satoshi Tajiri's desires of wanting the children of the video game generation to experience his own hobbies of collecting and studying creatures; albeit in the form of fantastical creatures with odd powers. And while I don't really... dislike Legendaries/Mythicals and their increasing deification and incorporation in lore, I feel like Ultra Beasts/Paradoxes befit Tajiri's vision better. Whereas it's often heavily implied that Legendaries/Mythicals are single-specimen/one-of-a-kind beings whose existence are integral to whichever regions the populace reveres them, Ultra Beasts and Paradoxes are both invasive creatures that are respectively from other realms and ostensibly the past and future/(Indigo Disk spoilers) or alternate timelines that are clearly depicted as commonplace organisms where they originated, and thus pose a threat for an ecosystem not used to their presence. Thus, they're simultaneously both Pokemon interpretations of cryptids (Cryptids have always been interpreted as aliens or surviving prehistoric creatures; so this applies to both groups) and, in terms of real-life counterparts, real-life invasive animal populations which I feel ties better to how Pokemon as a whole represents bug and live-critter catching but in a more spectacular scale.

As for the Ultra Beasts themselves, I like just about all of them really, but my favorites amongst them comprise of: Blacephalon, Stakataka, Poipole, Nihilego, and Guzzlord.

They are pretty neat concept, and I like them a fair bit better than Paradox Pokemon. My favourite is Nihilego for its role in the storyline and its creepy yet beautiful design, althogh I also quite like Pheromosa, Celesteela, Kartana, Stakataka and Naganadel.

They're pretty cool. Cool to see mon that step out of the usual design conventions and instead are very abstract. Definitely helps make em more eerie and mysterious.

In terms of my favorites, I really like Pheromosa, Guzzlord, Kartana and Poipole.

They're great! The idea of Pokemon from other words looking strange and bizarre is great and added a fun postgame to both Gen 7 games, as well as the god Beast Ball. They have minor flaws such that half of them are white humanoid creatures or that Buzzwhole is a bit too creepy but they still set a high bar the paradoxes just could not meet.

My favorites are Kartana and Stakataka and I think my love for them has only increased since then lol.

Back
Top Bottom