• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Bulbapedia needs

Argy

∠(>w<) #634
Reaction score
On the Pokémon pages, there really need to be charts/listings/whatever that say at what levels the Pokémon evolve. These (along with at what levels Pokémon learn which attacks) are my most often looked-up data, and I have to go to some other site (usually SPP) to get it.

Also, PokéWiki has something we don't: sprites. I personally find them interesting, and I think they'd be a good draw to the site.

An evolution chart would defiantly be nice.

And what sprites would you add? Just RSE+, or all of them?

That's a lot of sprites, especially for the first gens. It would work if we had a good layout, but I'm not too keen on the way Pokewiki does it. Maybe it's due to all the animations, I'm not sure...

Okay, so who wants to go to the trouble of ripping all the sprites(back and front), footprints, icons, etc...

You can find them already ripped in a number of places online, so we can always get them that way. With permission and giving credit, of course.

There's also the problem of saving/uploading them all :p

But I was mostly referring to what all you'd want on there, if it included the icons, the back sprites, etc. There's a lot more graphics than the battle sprites.

We can use Bulbabot for some of the work.

The only problem I can see is that it might take longer than necessary to load a page, but it isn't as if sprites are that big.

This is what a Gen I Pokémon would have:
  • Green front sprite
  • Blue front sprite
  • Yellow front sprite
  • GRBY back sprites
  • Gold front sprite
  • Silver front sprite
  • Gold/Silver back sprite
  • Cystal animation
  • Ruby/Sapphire front sprite
  • Ruby/Sapphire back sprite
  • Fire Red/Leaf Geen front sprite (same as RS for Gen II and III)
  • Emerald animation
  • Colosseum/XD sprite
  • Box icon
  • Shiny version of the above (not for Gen I, obviously)
  • footprint
  • Torouze icon
  • Pinball icons - Pokédex, catch-em sprite, etc
(Tell me if I've missed anything)

Deoxys, Castform, and Unown would have extra sprites, of course.

Last edited:
FV, RBGY back sprites are all the same, no?

But yeah, I say go for as much as possible to be complete. If it's clutter we're worried about, we could always create a sort of subpage like "Pikachu (Pokémon)/Sprites".

Argy said:
On the Pokémon pages, there really need to be charts/listings/whatever that say at what levels the Pokémon evolve. These (along with at what levels Pokémon learn which attacks) are my most often looked-up data, and I have to go to some other site (usually SPP) to get it.

Well, there are on a few pages, for instance, Beldum#Evolution. I don't actually have this data in a database, so it will have to be manually entered. (I'll also get around to designing a format for branched evolution.) As for the sprites used in that diagram, they're non-animated Emerald ones, according to the person who uploaded them.

Wouldn't our shared license with PokéWiki allow us to use their sprites, animated and all?

And that evolution chart is a good idea, but what about multiple-gen Pokémon that evolve differently in different games?

Archaic, I think the Trozé sprites would make neat forum smilies.

In theory, yes*, but it's still a good idea to knock before opening an unlocked door.

The Pokémon mostly evolve the same way, barring additions of new Pokémon to the chain. We can add footnotes where things differ.

*: If not for the fact that the copyright of these sprites belongs to Nintendo-Creatures-Game Freak, not Filb.

I think we should try to limit the number of sprites on any given page simply for those still lagging behind on 56k and the fact that being overly image-heavy clutters a page more than it streamlines one.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom