• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What do you think of James Turner being the art director for Sword and Shield

Do you like the fact that James Turner is the art director for Sword and Shield?

• Yes

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 12 11.9%

• Total voters
I think it's more of a coincidence than a connection to Poland. I don't recall Poland and England having a major relationship that GameFreak would take inspiration from.
'Though the British monarchy did have very good relations with the Polish cause even before the World War; one of the British princes was even rumoured to be a candidate for being elected as king of Poland

But, yeah, most likely an accident or another source of inspiration than that ship.

Vullaby and Mandibuzz aside, I actually rather like his earlier designs (most of all Trevenant, who I'd genuinely take over Decidueye if I'll be honest). I'm pleased to hear that he's got this role.

I honestly feel that he was chosen because he's British, and probably wanted authentic British experience for the game. Looking at the designs, lot of them seem to be based British "trends"; Polteageist on teapots and Corviknights on Ravens to name a few. Overall, the designs are hit and miss for at least this game. I love Polteageist, Galarian Ponyta, and Gossifleur but a lot of other designs seems to be poor knockoffs to a lot of other Pokemon. Cramorant has an overused typing, and its face reminds me of Ducklett, Grookey looks and behaves just like Pansage, while Drednaw is an overdone concept of a water turtle. Zacian and Zamazenta are the worst though. They just look so forced to look like a sword and Shield. My vote for worst looking box legendaries. The problem lies in that they look forced to be a sword and shield, even though wolves aren't like that. Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde look really cool because they naturally incoporate the letters without compromsing the anatomy of the animal they are based on. They should have chosen Pokemon who have more natural resemblance to a sword and shield.

I think it's more of a coincidence than a connection to Poland. I don't recall Poland and England having a major relationship that GameFreak would take inspiration from.

many polish citizens work in UK, the polish government escaped there from the nazi and soviets.

I will quote diret from it "Britons and Poles have been in contact for much longer than most of us imagine. The first Poles came to England in 1014. Three hundred horsemen and a contingent of foot-soldiers from Poland were a part of a Viking invasion force led by the Danish King Sven Forkbeard and his son Canute – grandson of Mieszko I and son of the Polish Princess Świętosława. In 1017 Canute became King of all England. Mieszko I had become a Christian ruler in 966. His halfPolish grandson, Canute, although born a pagan, strengthened the Church in Britain during his 18-year reign and made a pilgrimage to Rome. Much later, in 1589, Polish King Sigismund III appealed to fellow monarchs to help him stave off a threatened invasion by the sultan of Turkey. Queen Elizabeth I of England urged the Sultan to make peace. King Sigismund, she explained, was a good friend, having always supported her with food, powder, timber and weapons. The Sultan – to demonstrate his friendship towards Elizabeth, as he put it – promised peace and an end to Tatar raids on Poland, on the condition that the Poles stop their Cossacks raiding the Turks."

Zacian and Zamazenta are the worst though. They just look so forced to look like a sword and Shield. My vote for worst looking box legendaries. The problem lies in that they look forced to be a sword and shield, even though wolves aren't like that. Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde look really cool because they naturally incoporate the letters without compromsing the anatomy of the animal they are based on. They should have chosen Pokemon who have more natural resemblance to a sword and shield.
I rather like Zacian but I actually can't disagree with this... it holding its sword in its mouth is pretty awkward and Zamazenta doesn't look any more comfortable with its shield attachments. I wouldn't call them the worst box legendaries (personally I hand that award to Gen 4's ugly dinos and Gen 5's turbine tails) but they sure are a couple of awkwardly forced designs.

many polish citizens work in UK, the polish government escaped there from the nazi and soviets.

I will quote diret from it "Britons and Poles have been in contact for much longer than most of us imagine. The first Poles came to England in 1014. Three hundred horsemen and a contingent of foot-soldiers from Poland were a part of a Viking invasion force led by the Danish King Sven Forkbeard and his son Canute – grandson of Mieszko I and son of the Polish Princess Świętosława. In 1017 Canute became King of all England. Mieszko I had become a Christian ruler in 966. His halfPolish grandson, Canute, although born a pagan, strengthened the Church in Britain during his 18-year reign and made a pilgrimage to Rome. Much later, in 1589, Polish King Sigismund III appealed to fellow monarchs to help him stave off a threatened invasion by the sultan of Turkey. Queen Elizabeth I of England urged the Sultan to make peace. King Sigismund, she explained, was a good friend, having always supported her with food, powder, timber and weapons. The Sultan – to demonstrate his friendship towards Elizabeth, as he put it – promised peace and an end to Tatar raids on Poland, on the condition that the Poles stop their Cossacks raiding the Turks."
And so they decided to name the entire region based on this fact, despite it having nothing to do with the games?

I think Zacian looks super cool with a sword in its mouth but its colors are ugly.

Agreed. I think the pale redish-pink looks like flesh... I feel it would've been better if it was a more vibrant red instead of the washed-out color we have now.

Knights in Europe do.
Knights in Europe do not name Pokemon games. And I sincerely doubt they name things based on languages they don't speak.
Also you should read polish legends and myths Tech.
Not interested, not going to read them to try and back up your theory that a Japanese company named a region based on the United Kingdom for a Polish word meaning "boat" as a reference to some myth from a country that is entirely unrelated to the game in every other way.

This absolutely made me appreciate him as art director much more. I think I almost forgot about how the “art” aspect extends to much more than just Pokémon designs. I really like the direction he steered the art team in with aiming more for authenticity rather than your typical “postcard” interpretation of the U.K.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom