• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's your favorite eye design style?

Somari

Reaction score
The different generations, continuities, and characters tend to have different styles.

For example the anime, and manga, characters often have a black areas above their irises compared to their game counterparts. Also, for example, quite a lot of game characters from the first gen and early second gen really had no actual scleras (or at least black ones).

For comparison reasons..
ethan1.png

red1.png

dawn1.png

I'm honestly not the biggest fan of the styles that have black eyes or have a black area above the iris. My favorite style has to be the post-Crystal game style, specifically Gen 4 and 5's.

Last edited:
Electric Tale of Pikachu. *nods*

I do like the various manga eye styles. The eye designs in the anime are boring and uncreative, in my opinion.

I tend to pay more attention than usual considering I use some of them as guides in my fanart and stuff. I probably like the newer Sugimori style eyes(Like Red's in the 2nd picture, Dawn's in the top part of the 3rd pic and someone else's, 2nd one in the 1st pic)
I like May's eyes too. On May only, that is.

I like the eyes before Gen. III because everybody in Gen. III onward has large, girly eyes. Even the guys do. The eyes in Gen. I-II might not look so realistic but they made everybody look...evil. I'll use Gold/Ethan as an example:
In gen. II
Gold1.png
In Gen. IV
200px-HeartGold_SoulSilver_Ethan.png
He just looks so much manlier in Gen. II with those eyes!

He just looks so much manlier in Gen. II with those eyes!
Actually, I think that's got more to do with how skinny Ethan is. He looks kind of effeminate because of that, but I don't think the eyes have much effect on it.

He's not wearing his giant, heavy, hoodie anymore and he's presumably taller (or at least less bulky).

Hey. His eyes are expressive. Now his Marill..

You guys really haven't noticed? Well, I'm sure you noticed some of them.

Like, in Special, how their eyes changed over time from being black, having the black tint on top, then the completely colored game version.

Or how certain anime characters eyes changed colors (Ritchie for example) or how Meowth's eyes became more blue over time..

Or, defiantly, the generation 1 - early generation 2 eye style leaving the series by Crystal.

You guys have never noticed when watching the anime? I first noticed when I was looking at May screenshots how her eyes didn't look like game May's.

may1k.png

..Yes, that brown one is May's. Sugimori made a coloring error..
I can't find any HQ or HD pics of May, anime or game.

65977369.jpg

Does that show it better?

Last edited:
4th Gen. Sugimori style is the best!

...And 1st and 2nd Gen. Sugimori style is the worst!
Yay~

I like Sugimori's style in the more recent stuff. The older stuff looks kinda chunky. XD;

Recent Sugimori Artwork and Anime, but recent Sugimori moreso than the Anime.

XD it's not just ethan's older eye's, everybody had the same, evil black eyes back then. Even red did. everybody just always look pissed off in their older artwork. Also everybody looked super chunky in the older games too because it was sugimori's drawing style back then.
Gary
100px-Red_Blue_Blue.png
Red
180px-Game_character_red.png
Silver
Gold_Silver_Silver.png
The more I look at those pictures the more I like gen III-IV eyes.

I think I like the older eyes because they're smaller and not everyone looks so feminine.

Sugimori's recent style is quite nice, but I've always preferred the original style of eyes. Pre Generation three

Though on the whole I don't actually like the style of drawing in general that Sugimori does with humans. I have my reasons, and I'm really picky when it comes to art styles. x3

I prefer the Generation II and anime eyes.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom