• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I imagine the same would happen if they ever did anything mildly New Zealand related in a game - even if it was just a kiwi-based bird, it would probably make the front page of the national newspapers.

If anyone is looking for some reviews, the Review Game has gone un-updated for two weeks now: there are two options for what to read so read, review and promote your own story!

Another April Fools passes by, another missed opportunity to release a joke chapter that turns Storm Island into a Star Trek holodeck simulation. I have no idea why I am so fussed about making this idea a reality. Maybe next year!

It also goes to show how little progress I've made in a year, since it was only eight chapters ago that I was looking at doing that last year.

I was half-tempted to do something silly for April Fools, but I wasn't sure whether it would be drowned out by the noise of a forum-wide joke. I don't know, I haven't seen much in the way of April Fools jokes that have actually amused me. You might say I've had enough of the concept

Yeah, April Fools has lost its magic, not that it ever had much magic to begin with. The only groups I've seen actively participating in April Fools this year are media/marketing giants who are looking to outdo each other in the chase for free publicity. Most smaller things/individuals have let it slide. I'm hopeful it will remain next year or perhaps even go further, as this really is quite literally the worst holiday to come out of human society.

*Sigh* You're not the only one who have had enough of April fools. I mean, there is not much originality anymore with April Fools and they're often not very well thought out so that people can't distinguish them from the real stuff. Honestly, I think the real April Fools are news media and large companies behind them.

I have heard though that Google had to withdraw an April Fools joke from Gmail since it started to have an negative affect. Something about people losing jobs or something...

I made in total of 1487 on the first day of camp NaNo. I usually made over 700 words per day, let see I could do it again tomorrow.

April fools is quiet a let down this year. I missed the good old days where Joe's were tasteful. I remembered the day when I was fooled. My aunt once got me a letter from the reading rainbow. I forgot what it was about but i was excited and felt like a real writer (though I did copied a children book as my own). Of course I didn't go and few years later it felt like a joke, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Curse motor vehicles, curse mechanics, and curse electrical problems.

I was involved in writing for the April Fool's edition of the school newspaper I work at. Ended up getting to write "the 2016 election as a Hunger Games contest." It was great.

But real jobs suck. I've ended up in the "too unqualified for interesting jobs, too qualified for basic ones" trap.

But real jobs suck. I've ended up in the "too unqualified for interesting jobs, too qualified for basic ones" trap.

I feel you.

And I'm in a social status where many things prohibit me to heighten my abilities further for more interesting jobs.

I think April Fool's jokes are better when they are quietly done rather than really obvious. I know one site that kind of goes overboard and puts out really obviously fake stories and still expect people to fall for them. A few British newspapers I follow did subtle-ish fake new stories that very nearly got me - I find that sort of thing funnier than just "oooh, a new game/remake/tv show has been announced"

That pretty much seems to be the boat I'm in at the moment.

Well, getting a part-time job is a lot better than a temporary job. I worked in a day care and then a senior center back even I just graduated high school. It basically a summer job to help students to get school supplies for the semester. But i wasn't in college or anything, just need to support my family (don't want to talk about it). Now it's harder to find a job with just temporary work experience from two different work sites.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever stopped writing something purely because no one was reading it, or do you always try and finish something even if getting no response?

Sort of. I've definitely kicked projects to polish up and finish Warhammer 40K fiction down to the bottom of the queue because I'm pretty sure that no-one would read them here.

It would be nice to think that I could write so diligently even without the readership I have, but, it's a lot easier to have that motivation if someone's going to read it

I wrote my fic purely out of love for the franchise I used for the fic. So even there are no one reading it, I'll continue to strive to finish it, just because I love my fic.

I feel the same way. Part of the reason why I have delayed The First Warriors and Galactic for so long is that they didn't get as much response as Eight Easy Steps. It can be quite disheartening to spend a month writing something and then when it gets published the views barely change. I know one shouldn't think that way, but you can't really help it. I think knowing people are reading and enjoying what you are writing encourages you to keep going and to make it really good - half the reason I think Dawn of Darkness ended so highly is that people appeared to be invested in it and I wanted to make the journey worthwhile.

(I am aware I name dropped four stories there, and for that I do apologise)

EDIT:
BTW, in case people didn't catch this last month, our vice-webmaster did a general reminder about civility on the forums. It is well worth a read as a reminder, especially now that we have more discussions sprouting up in our little corner.

Last edited:
Oh tons! I do this a lot when I was in school. For someone who want to improve and be notice, it's hard to think that no one will read your story. Though you advertising your story on sites you're more comfortable with. If someone would see it, chances are he/she think the writer is being desperate. That would lose the writer's confident on writing the advertised story.

I have a bad habit of dropping stories all the time. Well-received or not.

If I drop a project, it's not because of poor readership, it's because I lose passion for the story, or I have to balance my time well.

Personally, I don't care if people don't read it. Years and years of my life were spent being flat out ignored by everyone and everything that I held dear, so I'm kind of used to it. But when people do read, it's always nice.

Back
Top Bottom