• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Ah, thank you, this is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. So, this may sound an odd question, but do you know any recognised names that're used for the chisel-like arrowheads or the all-purpose ones? Preferably historical, but from what I gather, people in the middle ages didn't have the same obsession with naming things we do today, so if there's a modern term widely recognised by historians, that'd be great too. Sorry if I'm being a bother, I'm getting quite into this topic now. :)

The only contemporary name I've ever come across is the bodkin - there seems to be some confusion over what they were, but I think they were the needle-heads. The English all-purpose is commonly known as the Type 16, I think, but again, that's very obviously a modern term. I'm quite sure medieval people would have had some specific words for different kinds of arrows, but Middle English being as it is, an archer from, say, Northumberland would probably have used different nouns to an archer from Lincoln

The problem with modern terminology when it comes to medieval arms and armour is that historians often parrot older, inaccurate texts, and it's only really quite recently that there's been some proper testing and reconstruction work done to put the truth or lie to these assertions.

Regarding traffic from India, I work for a firm that handles web scraping requests (among other things for financial clients) and due to the obvious reasons (cost, regulation etc), a lot of the scraping is done from countries like India and Singapore (we hire a consulting firm that is outside the US to handle our scrapes for us).

What you would consider weird traffic patterns from India or Singapore... I'd say with near 100% certainty that it's due to web scraping being done. Don't know why anyone would feel the need to scrape individual chapters on ff.net, but that would be what it is.
So does that mean they are copying and pasting individual chapters, or is it more just collecting information? (Wikipedia wasn't much help here :p)

So does that mean they are copying and pasting individual chapters, or is it more just collecting information? (Wikipedia wasn't much help here :p)

They aren't actually 'reading' or copying or even looking at your work.

They're looking at the back-end code / stats on the website, likely looking at hit numbers, who's been on FF.net, that sort of thing. It actually has nothing to do with the actual written content that you see on the front-end.

I've just realised what an awkward position Vermilion City is in for a port. Ok, it's at the end of a bay fine (So conceivably a better sheltered anchorage), and yep, Cycling Road could be raised up a hundred feet or so, but right at the end of the bay there's a mess of sandbars in Route 21 on the west, and apparently chains of reefs on Route 20. Move over Goodwin Sands, Kanto's got you beat for nautical hazards

The only contemporary name I've ever come across is the bodkin - there seems to be some confusion over what they were, but I think they were the needle-heads. The English all-purpose is commonly known as the Type 16, I think, but again, that's very obviously a modern term. I'm quite sure medieval people would have had some specific words for different kinds of arrows, but Middle English being as it is, an archer from, say, Northumberland would probably have used different nouns to an archer from Lincoln

The problem with modern terminology when it comes to medieval arms and armour is that historians often parrot older, inaccurate texts, and it's only really quite recently that there's been some proper testing and reconstruction work done to put the truth or lie to these assertions.

I think bodkins were the needle ones, yeah, from what I gather there's a general disagreement over whether the purpose of the shape was down to price and ease of production, ability to pierce mail, or because it was aerodynamic and would fly further than previous shapes. Don't really know which of these is likely. And thanks, I'd heard the term 'Type 16' before, but I wasn't sure what sort of arrow is was meant to be - it's not the most descriptive of names. The only other name I've heard is 'broadhead', which sounds like it could be either contemporary or modern, as far as I can guess. That is a good point about different terms being used in different places, though.

Oh, the vote to leave/stay with EU? Whatever the result it is, currently the voting already cause GBP currency goes down quite a significant bit.

Where did you get that figure from?
I saw it in one article, can't remember which site now. I think the estimates are wavering but a local news story put it at about 150 billion pounds. The UK is also going to have its credit rating downgraded and it is a 31-year low for the pound. I think pretty much everyone in NZ who cares is pretty shocked by the decision.

Oh, that. Yes, it is a 30 year low. Currency rises and currency falls - there are going to be a lot of predictions and assessments made over the next few weeks, but they're all going to be premature. It'll be at least a year before anyone can draw any sensible conclusions

Since you're from England Beth, what's your personal opinions of the fact that UK is going to leave EU?

Well. There are going to be a lot of grand speeches and big predictions, and, alas, leadership scuffles - but it will eventually settle down into the business of actually administering the decision, which will take years. Britain being Britain, what eventually changes probably won't be all that dramatic or radical.

Will Britain be better off? It has the potential to be. The decision alone doesn't actually decide anything. It'll all depend on what Britain does about it - how immigration controls are handled, how trade negotiations end up, etc, etc. In the short term it's difficult to claim that there's anything other than hard times ahead, but then, it's not a referendum for a couple of years.

There will be some Scots who will use it as an excuse to ignore 55% of their fellows, which in my opinion is unjustified. An good analogy would be if the referendum result had been to remain, and the leave campaign insisted on another go-around. You're not respecting the results of a free vote if you keep holding them until you get the result you want.

On a personal level, it's somewhat amusing to know that these belligerent little islands can still stir Europe into a right flap

Can I just say it's so refreshing to see an English person holding their tongue about it. Literally everyone else from the isles I've talked to has been a doomsayer.

I heard Britain's literally sinking into the sea.

Under the weight of all those immigrants ayooooo

I guess I just feel bad for the young people whose futures have been decided against their will really, given that 75% of those under 25 voted to Remain and the proportion to leave increases with each age bracket.

Back
Top Bottom