• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I just found out that Aurorus can't learn Power Gem.

I also wrote an entire plot outline last night, but I haven't been feeling motivated to write.

>mfw adding finishing touches on my octopus man painting only to realize he has only 7 tentacles
OTL
welp time to add one more and modify the shades of the others to match it...

Hank from Finding Dory? =P

wow how dare u :mad:
nah its my husbando because i may or may not have an obsession

actually i never did watch finding dory and i'm not sure if i've even watched nemo fully... i rarely watch movies nowadays

@canisaries Hank is a traumatised octopus who lost a limb (my headcanon is that losing a limb caused his trauma), so Dory calls him a septapus.

On an unrelated note... could lightning set the sky on fire 300 million years ago, or did TV Tropes just make that up?

On an unrelated note... could lightning set the sky on fire 300 million years ago, or did TV Tropes just make that up?

my guess it's something that's technically correct, but not at all practically. could be that they mean only specific places, some specific kind of fire or some specific kind of lightning. i don't know, they taught us very little about prehistoric eras, which i'm very glad about, because it's basically like learning about history. aka totally boring and hard to remember. no offense to any history students, just my impressions.

my physicist answer is that if there was a lot of free hydrogen in the air (which already sounds implausible, since hydrogen is pretty reactive), then sure. though maybe the current/heat splits the water, creating hydrogen, which could then later burn with the oxygen, which wikipedia said there was more of in that era (115% of current levels)? eh who knows, i don't really have enough practical knowledge to say how things would play out irl. also, wikipedia does say there was a lot of CO2 back then, which would make fires less likely.

History? Boring? Boring!

Actually, the way history is usually taught does tend to make it boring. History books take a bit of experience to find the kind of prose that appeals to you. I'm not really a fan of the academic style of book, the kind written by some Cambridge don who hasn't got a clue about writing an engaging narrative. Stephen Clarke is pretty good, if a bit glib; Ian Mortimer is very accessible but not patronising; Ben Wilson has done the best book on the British Navy I've found

More specifically, the page for Death World says that there was so much oxygen in the air that it was highly flammable. I was thinking of using it as a Genius Bonus in that story I outlined last night, but it might end up being a Thing I Read on an Unreliable Website Once Bonus.

One thing I do know is that more oxygen = bigger animals. In Guinness World Records 2009, they had a THREE-DEE page spread showing a bunch of dinosaurs... and a giant dragonfly.

well, i realized just yesterday that i'd been calling goji berries acai berries for the past few years so definitely not a genius here

well, i realized just yesterday that i'd been calling goji berries acai berries for the past few years so definitely not a genius here
Well, they are akai berries...

Also, sometimes I become so obsessed with a work of fiction that I create an exaggerated, feels-filled headcanon version of it. My thoughts about it become so incoherent that I can't write them down, and I feel too awkward to talk to anyone about it clearly, instead resorting to awkward, cryptic references. I've had this with Spirit Tracks and Cars 2. Is this normal?

Last edited:
I don't get crazy with headcanons, but I do love me some fiction that hits all the feels. <3 I keep all the inventive daydreaming stuff to my own fics.

At any rate, I started a new chapter for a fic today, then rewarded myself with ice cream and a movie. :3 How is everyone else's weekend?

My weekend was relatively stressful. Had a lot of bills come up that was not particularly fun, and went out to lunch and the place had completely changed its menu from when I was last there and got rid of my favourite meal. Very first world problems, I know, but still bothersome XD

Congrats on starting a new chapter - I always find that the hardest bit, myself. I need to build up some momentum in the chapter before I can really get going. There have been a few times lately I've left the intro to last nearly.

Hey, if they're bothersome, they're bothersome!

And yeah, this time it was easier than usual because the story's a rewrite (LaON) and I've caught up to the point where I can take more from the original than I've been able to. You write out of order, then? I've never tried that intentionally, though I do often switch the order of scenes and end up writing out of order that way.

My weekend was a bit of both in terms of enjoyable and not. Visited Letchworth State Park and did a bunch of the trails, which was the fun bit. Then I spent pretty much all day today sleeping which felt like a terrible waste.

You write out of order, then? I've never tried that intentionally, though I do often switch the order of scenes and end up writing out of order that way.
Not always. Usually I just write the stuff that is already in my head first - quotes or set pieces that I've thought about for months/years. I find it easier than struggling to get a good intro down and then lead on to that stuff. Clearing my head helps the stuff I can't see appear.

Then I spent pretty much all day today sleeping which felt like a terrible waste.
I am the same. I love sleep but hate sleeping in. It feels like I am wasting the day. I have an ideal time I like to get up, and before or after that and my day is screwed XD

ICYMI, the awards announcement is up with two changes you need to know before the nomination round begins in two weeks :)

@canisaries Things are what people call them. I've heard that there's no such thing as sardines/anchovies, but if people call them sardines/anchovies, they're sardines/anchovies. At least, that's my philosophy.

Also, I was reading the Gen 2 Pokémon page on TV Tropes, and...
Animal Talk: Subverted. They communicate using barks that humans and even other Pokémon species can't understand.
This made me imagine a PMD-ish fanfic where a pack of Houndour (and their Houndoom leader) use their "specialty barks" to say things they don't want other species to hear, kind of like how the SeaWings from Wings of Fire use Aquatic (a language "spoken" in bio-luminescence) when they don't want other dragons to understand what they're "saying".

Back
Top Bottom