• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

i've seen part of little witch academia, seems good. the animation is great and the character designs unique and expressive. not to mention cute as hell. UwU

ever since i watched TTGL, i've wanted to see cowboy bebop too, as both are pretty much "classics". but rip me because this country's crunchyroll doesn't seem to wanna put it on there.

and speaking of anime, i really need to finish konosuba. it's just that it's become kind of a chore because crunchyroll just loooves crashing or glitching on my computer. and the show's audio is like half the volume of the ads for some reason, killing my ears whenever the ads come on. hope it's unintentional and not a ruse to get more people to get premium.

In other news, Caddicarus' Kingdom Hearts retrospectives have gotten me interested in the series, and Final Mix is on PS4 right now. I've tried getting into Sony a couple of times before, but both of those times were with two different PS2s, which I didn't know what to play on until it was too late. I've also heard that Kingdom Hearts isn't very accessible.

Well, the storyline certainly isn't, in the sense that you really need to start from the very beginning because things get complicated very quickly (particularly after the first game, which does have a more straightforward plot than the others). Not to mention that the story is split across at least half a dozen titles at this point, and you'll have to play every last one in order to get a full understanding of everything (although the HD ReMIX versions make this somewhat easier by consolidating three or so of these games into one release). That said, the gameplay itself is much more accessible... think of it like an action game with RPG elements and you'll have a very basic summation of what to expect from the Kingdom Hearts series.
Knowing this, is it worth it to get a PS4 for Final Mix? What else is good on there? Which versions of the PS4 support PS2 discs, so I can play Klonoa 2? Not anytime soon, mind, because money, and I'm more interested in getting an Elgato (so I can do let's plays of games that can be played on a Wii U) anyway.

The PS4 doesn't actually support PS2 discs, unfortunately, nor does it accept discs from any previous PlayStation console at all. That said, you could get an actual PS2 console second-hand for relatively cheap if you're willing to do that, and then play the original PS2 versions (which are also relatively cheap) on that. The only caveat is that you'd have to play the non-Final Mix versions, since the PS2 copies of those are Japanese only (yet have English cutscenes, strangely enough).

Meanwhile, if you really want to play the Final Mix versions, you could try picking up a PS3 second-hand - which are also surprisingly cheap nowadays - and then play the HD ReMIX versions on that (which not only include plot-important spin-off games like Chain of Memories and Birth by Sleep along with the Final Mixes of the two main games, they also re-package some of the lesser titles like 358/2 Days and Re:coded - the latter of which was originally a puzzle game! - as movies for you to sit back and watch... which is a lot more conveinent than having to actually play them). There are two caveats to that, though. First, you'll still need a PS4 to play later games in the series like Dream Drop Distance (although there's also a version of that game for the 3DS, if you have one of those) and of course the still-to-be-released Kingdom Hearts III. And second, you won't be able to play PS2 games on a PS3 either, though... but you can play PS1 games on it, for what that may or may not be worth to you!

Problem is, I've had two different PS2s in the past, so I'm not getting another one. I also could have sworn that the PS4 was backwards compatible, but evidently not. (Funny story: I was mildly interested in getting KH1 back when I had a PS2, but I never did. How long is it?)

I'm thinking of the PS4 remasters of most of the games.
(When I was looking up Caddicarus' review to find out what I meant, I discovered that he'd retitled all of his Caddy episodes.)

There's also the fact that I can't think about Kingdom Hearts without thinking about my cringeworthy Cars obsession.

@Nitro Indigo
If you're looking to justify a PS4 purchase beyond Kingdom Hearts, I unfortunately won't be able to help you there, given that I don't own one myself. Maybe you could write a blog entry or create a thread in the Video Games & Technology section to get recommendations from people who do have one. But since Kingdom Hearts III probably won't be finished until, like, 2020, that should give you plenty of time to get into the series at your own pace.
There's also the fact that I can't think about Kingdom Hearts without thinking about my cringeworthy Cars obsession.

Now imagine if they revealed a Cars level for Kingdom Hearts III...

>math homework requires a program installed to do one simple thing
>installation takes 2h

mm i love the smell of bullshit in the morning

About my cringey Cars obsession... I've recently been imagining there being a Cars area in KH3, except that I don't actually know that much about KH, and whenever I come up with ideas for things that haven't come out yet, I feel ashamed of myself because of how unlikely they are.

My latest contract project work had finished, so now I need to update my CV again and send it to hundreds of companies again. Here comes the job-searching nightmare again......

All those CV/resume and cover letter writing advice in the recruitment websites, I really wonder are they workable? UK and US are lucky because there are HR academians in universities and colleges to study and revise the entire employment environment of their countries. But here in some Asian countries...... HR simply means "If we like your person, we hire you. If we dislike your person, just leave and don't come back". Your personal skill and work experience and academic knowledge wasn't that highly valued as the companies in UK or US.

Really does depend on your field of work. One thing I have learned about the UK is that a lot of recruiters are very good at rationalising away bad practices, especially outside of what might be called "professional" fields of work, because there's never any real shortage of applicants. You can see this in almost any kind of retail or customer service based job, though the NHS is an especially bad offender when it comes to administration.

Recruitment advice, whether online or delivered from - heaven help us - places like the Jobcentre always generalise and usually repeat received wisdom that I have personally seen does not work. Over the years (Most of that in the middle of a recession in a pretty damn unprestigious part of the country) I've learned to trust to my own experiences and ignore at least half the advice anyone tries to give me.

As a general rule it is true, I think, that companies with a dedicated HR department (Or at least well codified methods of recruitment) tend to be more sensible than those that don't. It's possible that Asian companies are simply more blatant about their arbitrary biases - I can only speak with any kind of authority for the UK, and not the whole of the UK at that. Over recent years it has become at least quicker to apply for a job on average than it used to be, thanks to CV uploads and automatically filled application forms.

Hello all. Just thought I'd pop in and say hi so you don't think I have disappeared. I am currently on a ferry heading between Rome and Athens - halfway through my tour of Europe and it has been pretty intense so far. Lots of beautiful scenery and attractions but a lot of sleepless nights and travel. Would probably never do a bus tour again. Hope everyone here is well!

@Nitro Indigo
You shouldn't feel ashamed to have an imagination, especially when it comes to things that you're passoniate about. That said, it's also rarely a good thing to fall in love with your own ideas too much, especially if they're ideas about someone else's intellectual property that you have no actual control over...

probably should have thought of that before i turned red into a handsome edgy OC. oh well

That said, it's also rarely a good thing to fall in love with your own ideas too much, especially if they're ideas about someone else's intellectual property that you have no actual control over...
At that point, you adapt your concepts into something completely original, that way you have full creative control again.

I once came up with a really long-winded Spirit Tracks fanfic that dominated my thoughts for years, and eventually the only thing it had in common with the game was that the protagonist was the reincarnation of a canon character. I got it out of my system by writing one-and-a-half chapters of it a few years ago.

Speaking of Kingdom Hearts, here's a stupid joke I made on another website a while back:
Siddeley can't be in Kingdom Hearts 3. He's too big.
In hindsight, I should have said Disney Infinity, but still.

Oh boy. Another storm coming to South Carolina. Might have flood related cancellations for the third year in a row.

my old art happened to get brought up in chat and oh wow

image.png

left is from 2015, before i started writing serious fiction about him. right is from a week or few ago

this is a PSA. edgy fics are a hell of a drug

Ka-chOW, THE EDGE.

Anyway, I've been imagining doing let's plays recently. I was originally imagining doing Kirby's Dream Land 3 first, followed by Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, because they're both fairly short and my favourites. Problem is, I'm going through burnouts for both of them, so I've decided that my first let's play will probably be The Wind Waker HD. I haven't played it for a while, so it should be fun, and I have a guide. It's a long game (or at least long compared to the platformers I've been playing recently), but I should challenge myself if I want to get anywhere in life.

Also, I have a story idea, and I realised that it's stuck because I don't know what to do with my protagonists.

Also, the following sentences summarise what direction I want the plot to go in:
Something was always wrong with the world. You just never realised it until now.

Back
Top Bottom