• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

something tells me you're a fellow Brit
...And you are correct.

In reality, Britain is full of castles and depressing seaside towns where the touristy bits are full of Illumination properties.

I want someone to do a dramatic reading of that review where the words are displayed on-screen in the most garish font imaginable, while a picture of Beth's XY character looking bored slowly fades into view.

this has copypasta potential. which is why im going to post it in my shitposting chat and hope to teach everyone how sinful their fanfictions are

I want someone to do a dramatic reading of that review where the words are displayed on-screen in the most garish font imaginable, while a picture of Beth's XY character looking bored slowly fades into view.
I could try.

Just out of curiosity, I heard that the voice used for the fox in Disney's Robin Hood has a stereotypical British accent. Does anyone have an accent over there?

We don't have accents, everyone else does. =P

I kind of feel like getting Red Rescue Team on Wii U Virtual Console so I can record footage of it for a video, and potentially do it as a future let's play, but I'd also like to focus on Kirby's Dream Land 3 first.

Also, my Wii U Elgato footage always has a black border around it, and I don't know why. And apparently the Wii U can't display full RGB?

I think it's easier for people outside of Britain to notice our accents than it is for us. I'm a Brit, but I've never heard anything like that in my voice. Though I did have a mild Scottish accent before, since I lived there for a good six years.

British accents range from “American?” to Tracer in Overwatch. There’s a wide selection.
But I feel like we’re getting sidetracked

My accent tends to take foreigners off-guard a bit. Black Country - or Yam Yam - isn't well-known even in Britain, so I've had reactions ranging from "I totally love you're ac-cent!" (American I met once) to "It sounds different to anything I've heard" (Italian).

Like a lot of people I tend to vary how broad I am depending on who I talk to. As a general rule of thumb though, American voice actors impersonating a British accent almost never sound like anything you'll actually hear in Britain. British actors in Hollywood or American productions tend to speak in a Hollywood friendly accent - Keira Knightley probably being the best example.

I've heard the Standard American Actor Accent so much that it sounds just as familiar as my own.

Speaking of British things, a few months ago I saw a trailer for this Aardman movie called Early Man, but I haven't heard anything about it since.

I like Arthur Christmas, but back when I first saw it, I didn't think much of it. I guess it was because I was expecting it to be widely-panned? Turns out it wasn't, but still. Ditto with The Muppets (2013), which I haven't seen for years.

I don't hear British accents myself anymore unless they're really thick or one that I haven't heard much. It's been close to ten years of daily exposure to British media that's done it. In fact, I tried sharing a podcast starring two Brits and a Canadian who's picked up a bit of an accent with my mother yesterday, since she was curious of what I was laughing at, she couldn't understand a word of it.

being foreign, i naturally have a bit of an accent, but tbh i think i'm capable of hiding it if i just try, i just feel like it'd be extra effort.

finnish is great native language to have when you're learning other languages, because the lack of intonation and strange phonemes in the language allow for the learned language to be unmuddled by the speaker's original one (contrast to japanese, french, german people speaking english - you can tell). that's not to say finns are great at foreign languages by default, no no. if you've ever watched the hydraulic press channel, you know. you still need to learn the oddities of the goal language.

i can also over-exaggerate my finnish accent. my german friend says it sounds just like HPC, and i'm not surprised.

and speaking of finland, guess what the view outside my house this morning looked like.

20171026_123454.jpg
all of this came overnight, and it's still snowing 5 hours later. rip everyone without winter tires yet

"""october"""

you know what's fun, btw? trying to forensically analyze wild carcasses. about a week ago, i noticed a dead rabbit on the lawn next to one of my bus stops. it really was a crime scene: tufts of fur scattered all around it, three black feathers next to it, no doubt from a bird or birds from the corvid family. but here's the thing: save for the mostly scavenged lower half, the rabbit is still largely intact in the front. crows and such really aren't big enough to bring down a healthy adult rabbit, but you'd think they'd be pecking at it as long as there is material to eat. i'd say the rabbit was bumped by a car and died a bit later, but car bumps wouldn't cause wounds, especially since the skeleton is still intact. there has to have been a predator involved, even though this happened in the city and i haven't seen a fox in a loooong time.

for the few days i've kept track of it, it doesn't seem to have changed a lot. it does make sense - the weather has been cold (sub-zero at nights) and now there's a lot of snow, even, so decomposition will naturally be slow.

one thing's for sure, though: it don't smell too good.

Or it was a bird of prey, such as a buzzard (Buteo buteo). Most birds of prey can't eat that much in one sitting, and even then with the weather making life difficult for all kinds of predators there's always the possibility of one having to hurriedly leave a kill early.

EDIT: Buzzards specifically might well have left Finland by now. Point is, lots of things are prepared to attack a bunny

@swiftfox Apparently, school being dismissed because it's too hot is also a thing in Germany. If only it was a thing in the UK...

Last night, I had a dream, and the only part of it I can remember is when I met Emily Mortimer in person and asked her what movies she's been in.

Back
Top Bottom