• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Did it actually catch fire??
Haha, no, not literally. I'm not sure exactly what happened, as I'm not the most tech savvy of individuals, but what I do know is my laptop is completely borked. I'm checking the forums occasionally on my phone, but I'll be back for good once I get a new one, which should happen sooner rather than later.

Looks like you already started it, uA, but worldbuilding threads like that are cool! Not enough of them around here, sadly. :( I'll have to take a look when I'm home from vacation. Driving home tomorrow. Reading fanfic is far more interesting on the drive than staring at 14 hours' worth of cornfields, let me tell you guys. That means reviews inbound. Then I have a lot of other stuff to catch up on too. Hope everyone's been well!

I just started wondering... what was the first cross-generational evolution revealed? Wasn't Scizor one of the first Gen 2 Pokémon revealed, or am I misremembering?

I just started wondering... what was the first cross-generational evolution revealed? Wasn't Scizor one of the first Gen 2 Pokémon revealed, or am I misremembering?
I want to say Ho-oh (first episode of the anime, unnamed), and then Togepi (the first to be referenced by name?), and then I have vivid memories of seeing Ash battle a Donphan in the Mewtwo movie and being like wtf this wasn’t in my guide book.

I want to say Ho-oh (first episode of the anime, unnamed), and then Togepi (the first to be referenced by name?), and then I have vivid memories of seeing Ash battle a Donphan in the Mewtwo movie and being like wtf this wasn’t in my guide book.
I like the idea of you as a small child getting up in the middle of the movie and calling for the film to be stopped whilst frantically flicking through some Scholastic book.

Last edited:
I like the idea of you as a small child getting up in the middle of the movie and calling for the film to be stopped whilst frantically flicking through some Scholastic book.
Not exactly what you want, but I have photographic evidence that the cinema I went to for the Lugia movie 1) had people dressed in large Pikachu costumes and 2) I ran away screaming from them.

I was referring to that ancient website for Gold and Silver where they showed sprites and artwork of a few Gen 2 Pokémon. Ampharos was definitely on there, but I'm not 100% sure about Scizor.

I was referring to that ancient website for Gold and Silver where they showed sprites and artwork of a few Gen 2 Pokémon. Ampharos was definitely on there, but I'm not 100% sure about Scizor.
This one? Can’t find the website/it probably died along with the pokegods

upload_2018-5-30_22-1-54.png

Quick question: would a Water-type Pokémon that breathes air be able to talk underwater? I ask this because I'm planning a fanfic that mostly takes place underwater, and one of the main characters is a Buizel.

that's so freaking odd, i've been wondering almost the same thing - how speech will sound if generated in water and passing over to be heard in an air environment. for my omanyte character, he doesn't produce the sounds like mammals do, so i can't answer the question based on him.

however, went to test this with a glass of water, and you can speak, but it's rather muddled by the bubbling. it also expels the oxygen valuable to land-dwellers, though i think otters can hold their breaths for rather long anyway.

however, it's a pokemon fic, so i'd just fix this by giving it some magic stone or powder that allows it to speak/breathe normally underwater. perks of the fantasy genre.

Okay, so I guess my logic could be "this Pokémon that breathes air can talk underwater because I say so now shut up and read the fanfic." Explanations tend to overcomplicate things.

I'm just remembering that episode of the Diamond and Pearl anime where they get Sandshrew's PokéBall from the flooded town, and they all have to wear diving equipment apart from Piplup and Buizel, and that stood out to me for some reason.

Anime-style pokémon vocalisations are nonsense to begin with, you may as well handwave the whole problem.

I'm feeling great this morning - I've cut out caffeine and started waking up early and today is the first day where I'm really feeling the benefits of that. I've never got writing done so early in the day in my life!

Okay, so I guess my logic could be "this Pokémon that breathes air can talk underwater because I say so now shut up and read the fanfic." Explanations tend to overcomplicate things.
Honestly, I think this is the best course of action.

Alternatively, you could do something like sonar language. Crude and sometimes easy to misinterpret, but it works. Granted, an otter (buizel) doesn't use sonar IRL but this is also something you can hand wave away since it's Pokemon.

Back
Top Bottom